Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 8:58:00 AM EDT
Can they be wired directly to a charge controller and then attached to a 12 volt batter for charging or is there additional hardware in the system?

Example for water wheel or windmill powered....

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this completely depends on the PM motor, but:

You need a charge controller to not cook your batts.

You need a diode (or proper charge controller) so that your battery doesn't spin your motor.

I saw a simple charge controller using a 555 chip, but I don't have it handy. Google.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
would this work?

http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.small-charge-controllers.eco-energy.bdf5-blocking-diode.info.1.html?gclid=CPn59YWOtMACFeRj7Aods0YA-Q

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

would this work?

http://www.solarpanelstore.com/solar-power.small-charge-controllers.eco-energy.bdf5-blocking-diode.info.1.html?gclid=CPn59YWOtMACFeRj7Aods0YA-Q

View Quote
Depending on your system, yes. But it is only rated for 5 amps.

You also need a charge controller. If you are DIY handy, here is a link. If not, someone should be along soon to recommend a plug and play controller.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
would this work?

View Quote

They're kind of proud of that 50 cent Schottkey rectifier...

Here's an 8 amp version for 83 cents.

"Diversion" charge regulators are often used with PM generators, particularly if there's some danger of damaging the generator due to overspeed without a load connected.

Basically, the generator connects directly to the battery (through a blocking diode), and the diversion regulator also connects directly to the battery.

When the regulator determines that the battery is fully charged (by measuring its voltage), it connects a large electrical load that overwhelms the output from the generator, thereby preventing the battery voltage from rising any higher.

This load can simply be bank of resistors that dissipate the extra power as useless heat, or some secondary device that uses the extra power for a specific purpose (i.e., an electric water heater, attic fan, water pump, etc.).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top