Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 11:52:40 PM EDT
I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with SureWater?

I want to store a decent quantity of water for the long-term, but I am very limited in storage space due to my inability to use the garage (Winter here is brutal).

My major hangup with this thing is the price tag: $729 shipped. (!!!)

Experience or reasonable alternatives welcome.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I want to store a decent quantity of water for the long-term, but I am very limited in storage space due to my inability to use the garage (Winter here is brutal).

View Quote

This isn't a bad tank, and, altho a little pricy, it ends the problem with finality. I wouldn't  hesitate to buy one to solve certain water issues. If I had them.

Alternatively, check with any nearby farm store for an amazing array of shapes and sizes at abt $1.50 per gallon.

Also, consider keeping whatever tank you end up with in your garage, by insulating it and wrapping with a bit of heat tape like is used to keep gutters from freezing.

This being said, why do you need to store that much water in IL, considering your alternatives.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Try US Plastic In Lima, Ohio.  All shapes & sizes FDA approved.  Also have tank heaters for sheltered storage.  A large tank is less likely to freeze than a smaller one.  I have a 1500 gal that serves as a 'room heater' for my well house.  Not nearly as cold as you but I don't use a tank heater either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Around here, used drink syrup barrels go for $20. So $200 to store the same amount of water, and it can be moved. You are not moving that 525 gallon cylinder, ever. You may also have issues with storing that much water in one spot weight wise. I would put them in the garage, build an insulated box around them, put a light bulb in there and be golden. I don't have 10 of them, but have more than 1, and built rolling trays that hold two barrels each.

I have to second the question of why you want to store so much.. MN is a pretty wet state.. land of 10,000 lakes and all that. I would suggest getting the items needed to treat the water that is all around you, and to harvest water from your roof.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I must admit that the idea of treating water vs. storing has it's valid points. As with many things, I tend to overthink some solutions...

The reason I was not looking at, say, 55-gallon drums is because I plan to store this down in my furnace room, and there just isn't that much floor space. However, if I reduce the volume to 2 55-gallon units, not only do I save a lot of money, but I also don't have to worry as much about weight and future moves.

BTW, I am looking at storing water for two adults and five indoor cats...

ETA: I figure 110 gallons would last us three weeks, minimum...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I must admit that the idea of treating water vs. storing has it's valid points. As with many things, I tend to overthink some solutions...

The reason I was not looking at, say, 55-gallon drums is because I plan to store this down in my furnace room, and there just isn't that much floor space. However, if I reduce the volume to 2 55-gallon units, not only do I save a lot of money, but I also don't have to worry as much about weight and future moves.

BTW, I am looking at storing water for two adults and five indoor cats...

ETA: I figure 110 gallons would last us three weeks, minimum...
View Quote

Nothing wrong with having water "ready".. we do also, but for the long term, we also have the ability to resupply from the environment... I believe in the Berkey filters. I have been to places in the world where the water wouldn't make you sick, it might very well kill you. Berkey's kept us safe and hydrated. We don't have 10,000 lakes here, but we do get 50-60 inches average of rain every year, and the longest "rain free" period here was 7 weeks. So our plan revolves around that. Rain barrels to harvest and a Berkey to treat the captured water. Less than 1 inch of rain will fill all of our 6 barrels from empty. Because they are only 55 gallons, we can move them into the house if frozen in the winter and they can thaw. You may be able to harvest lake water, ice, or snow for melt also. We have. (born in Hinckley)

Depending on your budget and where you live, a cistern maybe an option? My grand parents had property up in the BWCA, and they had one.. was a couple thousand gallons, buried, with a pump fed from near the bottom somehow. (All I remember, was a long time ago since I was last up there)

Like many S&P things, there isn't "one answer" and what works for some, isn't workable for others. And layers.. always layers. :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for reminding me of Berkey. Definitely something to seriously consider...
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Approx $150:

+

Water totes are readily available on CL.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Izzatso? Hmm.....

Never thought to look there...

ETA:  Sure enough....

Sadly, they don't fit through my doors.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]

those go for $40 here. I have ended up with several just in case.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Izzatso? Hmm.....

View Quote

What's your door width?  I want to say they are 40" on the narrow side.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Izzatso? Hmm.....

Don't know right now, but it's a standard interior door. 30"?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Another option would be to take it apart.  The tank will come out of the cage and is plastic and flexible.  You could squish it through the door, I'm sure.  The frame comes off the pallet.  The frame is riveted together, but you could redo that too if you really wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another option would be to take it apart.  The tank will come out of the cage and is plastic and flexible.  You could squish it through the door, I'm sure.  The frame comes off the pallet.  The frame is riveted together, but you could redo that too if you really wanted to.
View Quote

^^^ that.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Neat tank but way too expensive imho.

I bought this...

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/drum-barrel/tanks/storage-tank-self-standing-165-gallon-capacity

It's 165 gallons and only 31" diameter to it fits down my stairs. It sits perfectly under my basement stairs. Would have gone bigger but I couldn't get it down there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I bought this...

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/drum-barrel/tanks/storage-tank-self-standing-165-gallon-capacity

It's 165 gallons and only 31" diameter to it fits down my stairs. It sits perfectly under my basement stairs. Would have gone bigger but I couldn't get it down there.
View Quote

Did you need to put it on a base so as to get a bucket or whatever under the outflow?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
This thread caught my attention but more with me having a question concerning containers.

My g/fs parents own/run a spray equipment type company (for farmers and golf courses) and somehow through out the past 3 years, I acquired  a "new" 80 gal white/clear'ish  tank.  Looks like this but only a hair bigger.  Has the same screw on lid up top and a pour spout I can add (i have it on the lid, looks like you just take the plug out.  anywho, would this be ok to use as water storage?  Not really a pack it up and try to move it for SHTF but more as a just incase.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I use that very same tank as a holding tank for the RO-DI water I use to top off my reef tank. If it's safe for the reef, it's safe for humans.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#18]
right on. thxs
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep it out of sunlight or cover it so the algae/bacteria don't grow, and only use it for drinking water if its NEVER had chemicals in it.  If it was used for car wash or pesticides, I'd pass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:26:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Catching up on SF reading, sorry for replying to an old thread but this is one I'm looking at Zaphod.

Rockwell water
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bought this...

View Quote

DAMN! Friggin shipping costs half-again as much as the flippin' tank!

Actually, the shipping and delivery service cost me MORE than the friggin' tank.

Oh, well. Cry once, I guess....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top