Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 3:09:40 AM EDT
Realized last week that I may not always be dressed appropriately when things pop up here in central FL.  Would like a good, lightweight 'under armor'-like shirt to protect from the sun and whisk away sweat to keep in my car preps.

Not a flat-fishing/captains shirt. I saw one the other day down here on another hiker and I should have thought to ask.  It was long sleeve, had some meshing on the back across the shoulders, but looked form-fiting.

Any thoughts?  Directly related to my 'summer' survival preps.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Under Armour (sic) has a couple of different short and long sleeve shirts which are SPF 30-50 rated.

I wear them running/working out outside in AZ and AF.

I think the mesh back is called "Armour Vent".
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:45:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I have quite a variety of the Columbia PFG shirts as they are generally SPF 50. The Guide Series are just as good too.
There are many styles and some tent to cut slimmer than others so it does pay to try them on,
When hiking/ walking in 100+ degree desert heat I like something that is not clinging to my skin. I think they breathe and dry very well.
A few times I have worn an Under Armor t-shirt, but usually I forgo the base layer.
YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#3]
LokiTN... an observation on the flats fishing shirts... they do multi service in cooler weather as they block wind pretty well when used with a polypropylene long sleeved under shirt... I use the Columbia caped back shirts of Dupont "supplex" but the newer ones with rip stop are very thin...I wear a full brimmed hat, but if you use a baseball cap, one of the Buff style neck gaiters of polypropylene work pretty well to give you added sun blockage...
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:45:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies all.

Honestly I was staying away from the flats-style due to size in my GHB/car kit.  Last weekend we stopped on a whim to hike a new boardwalk near the zoo with the kids.  They had hats, sunscreen, and sneakers but I ended up giving them rides on my shoulders and I was dripping.  The sun was dangerous that day.  Plenty of water but sunstroke/heat exhaustion was a serious concern.

Otherwise, I like the flats shirts.

What do the guys wear airboat hunting in the marshes?  I'll buy those!

(plus long sleeve means less mosquito bait; though I'm one of those people they don't bother with)
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
ExOfficio has a couple different lines. I wear their Give-and-go T-shirts pretty much every
day here in AZ, it's a mesh with very fine holes, so it looks like solid fabric, but breathes
great. Not sure if it's available in a long sleeve version or not.

The other line, Exo Dry, is a might tighter weave and just fits me really funny, so I've never
really worn them much -- they seem like they'd be hotter.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:41:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Columbia PFG shirts are the most popular but they're hot.  I have a ripstop and a polyester camo patterned long sleeve PFG and they're really warm to wear unless the wind is pretty steady.

My very favorite shirt is the Royal Robbins Expedition Light Shirt.  It's made out of polyester Cool-Max technical fabric and I tell you, it feels like air conditioning.  I got 2 a few yeas ago on clearance for $17 apiece and they're great.

http://www.royalrobbins.com/p-846-expedition-light-long-sleeve-s13.aspx

Not affiliated yada yada but I do recommend the Royal Robbins by far over the Columbia stuff.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Columbia PFG shirts are the most popular but they're hot.  I have a ripstop and a polyester camo patterned long sleeve PFG and they're really warm to wear unless the wind is pretty steady.

My very favorite shirt is the Royal Robbins Expedition Light Shirt.  It's made out of polyester Cool-Max technical fabric and I tell you, it feels like air conditioning.  I got 2 a few yeas ago on clearance for $17 apiece and they're great.

http://www.royalrobbins.com/p-846-expedition-light-long-sleeve-s13.aspx

Not affiliated yada yada but I do recommend the Royal Robbins by far over the Columbia stuff.
View Quote
I really like the 100% cotton Columbian PFG shirts. I seek out the cotton ones, actually. For me synthetics make me sweat and are hot. I wear them loose, no undershirt (when I need maximum cool) and I stay fairly comfortable. Also, I had skin cancer already (I am not even 30) so I have to stay out of the sun no matter what.

ETA: I keep some of those be cool towel things that cool you off when wet in the summer survival kit. I have one for each family member. They work fairly well!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
ExOfficio (already mentioned) has some awesome stuff.

Rail Riders is also worth looking at.

http://www.railriders.com/men-outdoor-clothing-shirts-c-104_111.html?osCsid=k8mvtso8mqoal1i0cij74rl0j1

The Adventure Top or Sun-Tech Shirt might be along the lines of what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a bunch of them.  My favorite is actually Magellan, though the Magellan you have to watch some are cotton.  The synthetics, I like better than my Columbia or Guide Gear.    

Yep, I'm not a big fan of Underarmor "Ts" either but I like the material.  One of the smartest things I ever did was buy a crap load of Mil Surplus "T" shirts, the new Khaki synthetics.  They're a lot more comfortable and nowhere even close hold the smell like Underarmor base layers do.  

Everyone should just keep in mind, a label isn't going to do anyone any better.  Its a matter of material and construction.  $40 for something that's going to stink so bad you have to throw it away after about the seventh time you wear it, is pretty darn expensive.  

Tj    
View Quote

Have you tried washing them in Sports Wash?  My workout clothes are all synthetics so they last forever and after a while get funky.  Using sports wash when they start to smell gets rid of it for quite a while, which is a good thing since according to my girlfriend I have a lot of body odor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:43:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Old navy has an activewear line. It's the same as underarmor except like 7$ a shirt. I bought 3 and they are really nice and affordable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have quite a variety of the Columbia PFG shirts as they are generally SPF 50. The Guide Series are just as good too.
View Quote

This. Things are great!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This. Things are great!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Things are great!

The natural gear shirts rock as well as . The pfg shirts and one other brand you'll find at bealls iirc are good.
I get mine in longselve for hiking. I wear a loose fit heat gear shirt under that. I wear a Patagonia river boonie or outdoor research /Columbia mesh sided boonie when hot...a bandana around the neck as well.
Stay away from tight fit us stuff down here unless your on a boat going fast. Stuff gets soaked stays soaked and you over heat (no convection)
same goes for underware.....I sport addidas climashield mesh /compression boxers ...they keep things dry and limits chaffing.
socks I went from mid weight wool to running socks by numerous brands...I like wigwams iron man socks but some basic synthetic under armor ones I wear daily to work.

Good thing about the pfg shirts etc...is not only the venting but the dry super fast......great hiking gear down here. Also look into thief shorts pants or convertibles....drying fast is key down here before toe...ass and ball rot sets in LOL

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a few of the Cabela's Guidewear shirts. They have a UV protection rating and a little pocket in the side seam.

These ones
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Check these out. Its what I wear while off shore.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]
REI sells a line of hot weather gear that is excellent and low cost.  Highly functional and well made.

I wore a couple of their t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts in Bangkok banging all about the city in the height of the summer---the clothing performed amazingly well.  I also wore it for several weeks hiking around Changmai province, once again, solid performance.  Gusseted and vented armpits and all plastic snaps....all klinds of neat features.

Do it, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, so many choices!

The REI shirts are pretty nice!  I haven't looked at them all closely; any 'made in America' suggestions?

What is 'PFG'?  Google brought up Columbia's Bahama II shirts, which I really like!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top