Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 9:26:12 AM EDT
What is the threshold which will cause you to initiate your own "bug out" plan? What will happen that will make you load it up and leave?

Curious...thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#1]
not much would make us leave.. we homestead.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
More or less like this:

Chemical Spill on the interstate or train tracks.
Wild Fire
Extended Power Outage
Pandemic creeping near
Civil Unrest
Global Thermonuclear War
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:16:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What is the threshold which will cause you to initiate your own "bug out" plan? What will happen that will make you load it up and leave?

Curious...thanks
View Quote

Man, a number of things could do that. Housefire, foreclosure, personal financial disaster, flood, war, or a dramatic socioeconomic change.
Keeping it short just keep two things in mind 1) You dont get to chose if bug out or not. When flames destroy your house or the bombs start dropping you better not be there any more. If you had a choice, you probably wouldnt be leaving 2) A house in the country does not mean you'll never have to bug out. Sometimes people will say they arelady live where they want, or they already have a good setup, so they wont have to leave. That's a serious mistake. You can't "live" in your bug out location, no matter how good your setup is, because a bug out location is where you go when your primary residence is compromised. The recent fires in Oregon, that burns plenty of homesteads, many of them no doubt well set up, goes to show you always need a bug out plan.
In my case there's not the possiblity of many natural or man made disasters, that's why I chose Ireland in the first place, its pretty safe. Still, if I had to leave I could go to Spain or Argentina.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The only threshold I have set being on the Gulf Coast is Cat III or lower hurricane we stay.  High Cat III with a chance for a Cat IV, we bug out.  Not worth it.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#5]
My threshold to leave, is when my options to stay, become untenable.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to think that I'm not going anywhere  
Don't wanna go anywhere
Might have to pack the wife and kids up but I've put too much sweat in this place to up and leave it

Don't like going on vacation, to work, visiting friends and family, reunions, store, etc.
I literally could spent every minute of every day here on the farm
Somebody could give me an all expense paid vacation to anywhere in the world and I wouldn't go (I'd sure encourage the wife and kids to go though )

I love it that much and there's just too much that always need fixing and animals to be tended to
I can't see myself bugging out. That would be hell for me.
Just shoot me if it comes to that

EDIT- I DO enjoy going to my LGS and shooting with friends and fishing. Now THAT can get me away for a few hours!

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with Doc on the CAT 3... my old frame house has been 125mph sustained, but a relative's was built after the building code changes following Andrew...

there is an old adage in political science.... if you place a frog in a pot of boiling water, he will jump out... if you place a frog in a pot of cool water, and slowly increase the temperature every day he will eventually cook...you need a finite reference point on which to initiate action... "today is only slightly worse than yesterday" is a slippery slope
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Something localized where I could travel a few states and have things be somewhat normal might cause me to go.  It would have to be a big event over several weeks and me looking at months of crappy supply lines before I care though.  I can lose things and get by rather well while others consider it a huge deal.

House fire might cause me to go, might cause me to camp in the side yard as well.  Depends on exact situation.

I am near railroad tracks so a good chemical wreck could cause me to go as well.

Overall it boils down to me having a better chance where I will head compared to me staying.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:28:39 PM EDT
[#9]
it would have to be something substantial for me to load up and leave. house is paid for and we don't have anywhere else to go.

wildfire or tornado would be about the only thing.

where ya at in oklahoma?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:59:47 PM EDT
[#11]
When staying exceeds the risks leaving presents.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

pretty much
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

pretty much
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty much

Yup.  I have plenty of fresh water and my own lifetime supply of firewood...  Those are the reason I am where I am.  I would only leave if I was forced to.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:01:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^^This, and everybody has a different threshold and situation.  I have a few scenarios for bugging home from work, but our biggest bug-out threats would be a localized chemical spill (we do have a railroad pretty close), area fire or a significant hurricane that would push directly into us...even with that, I don't see a significant enough threat to leave unless the home itself was going to be destroyed or inhabitable.  We don't have family close enough to bug out to, but we have plans for temporary situations.  For seriously catastrophic, long term, regional disasters, we will head to my wife's family (closest) or my family (on the other coast); this has to be a nuclear melt-down, massive shift in the fault line that would change the geography or if the region turns liberal-communist blue and I'm at threat of becoming an endangered species.

I think for those attending college; young single adults living/working in a city or a geo-bachelor working away from home need to really consider their bug out plans and threshold.  There are any number of situations where travel could be restricted, fuel availability dries up, any type of quarantine, or there is a mass exodus that would clog all routes out.  I think for those situations, you really need to define your parameters for getting out of the area before any type of restricted movement or lock-down occurs.  This is difficult and it requires some serious attention to news, internet chatter and visible signs in your local area.  I would assume the windows to take action would be very small.  It's always better to be safe than sorry, so consider having a valid excuse to depart at hand (sick/deceased relative, family member needing assistance or a last minute vacation); missing 3-4 days of school or work is a minor loss if things don't go south, but those few days may make all the difference in the world to get a head start and avoid the traveling chaos or restricted movement scenarios.

For those with a stocked home, they will have a much better chance of staying put and riding out any severe storm or threat.  If you don't have a planned bug-out destination you will become a vulnerable refugee once you step out the door.  

My first goal is to get home and make sure the family is safe; outside of no home to return to, that's my primary plan with the best chances...

ROCK6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top