Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2014 11:14:24 AM EDT
I'll start by saying I know its not a good idea and have NO intentions of trying it,but if you were being forced to by some circumstance how would you break down the 1000 calories a day to get the best balance of protein,fat,fiber, vitamins,and carbs?  Big plus would be if it was relatively filling to make it seem like more food and the cheaper the better.  Lets hear your ideas and rational for them.  Thanks!  TJR
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
<----- fat boy listening....
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Geeze, that would be the worst.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Not as bad as you might think really.  Americans are for the most part WAY overfed.  For instance 1000 calories consists of:

2 bowls of oatmeal
2 cups of Greek yogurt
3 cans of tuna or 2 of chunk chicken
2 apples.

Not exactly starving in a day unless you do lots of manual labor,and most of society doesn't anymore.  I ate calorie levels in Iraq and Afghanistan(mostly Afghanistan) that would make me weigh 400lbs here and I dropped weight like crazy.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try having a gastric bypass or sleeve operation.

For the first 3 months you are lucky if you can cram in 1000 calories. After a year 1500-2000 is doable. More if you eat  nothing but candy and junk food.

eta: 2 chick fil a chicken sandwiches would be 880 calories.

One for breakfast one for dinner and say some oatmeal for lunch?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:34:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I lost almost 90lbs on 1200 plus a day for 8 months or so.

4 small meals 300 cal each. Protein,veggies and fruit. Little to no carbs and a shit ton of water.

It can be done but you will drop weight. Maintaining full strength may be difficult which could be hazardous.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not exactly starving in a day unless you do lots of manual labor,and most of society doesn't anymore.  I ate calorie levels in Iraq and Afghanistan(mostly Afghanistan) that would make me weigh 400lbs here and I dropped weight like crazy.
View Quote

That's why I was saying it would suck so hard because when I saw this in the Survival forum I assumed you were talking about being in a scenario where you had to do a lot of labor just to get by.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Totally understood,and true.  I was looking at it more from the angle of extending your prep food for as long as possible.  

Quoted:

That's why I was saying it would suck so hard because when I saw this in the Survival forum I assumed you were talking about being in a scenario where you had to do a lot of labor just to get by.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Depending on your starting weight you would lose at least 2-3 lbs. per week even just sitting around doing nothing.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys wanna lose weight?   Try the Paleo diet
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#10]
most people will lose weight fairly rapidly on such a diet.

a few men are very resistant to weight loss and cannot lose weight above even 800 calories a day.

a few women have to drop into the 400 calorie per day diets to lose weight.

very few (if any) people would be getting appropriate levels of at least some nutrients from such a diet without supplements. however, nutritional deficiency diseases tend to take a long time to become debilitating.

IMO being "forced" into such a diet implies you might well have little choice in what you eat and would have to take what you can get.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Cut carbs+drink water= weight loss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I lost almost 90lbs on 1200 plus a day for 8 months or so.

4 small meals 300 cal each. Protein,veggies and fruit. Little to no carbs and a shit ton of water.

It can be done but you will drop weight. Maintaining full strength may be difficult which could be hazardous.

View Quote

I am doing a similar diet, all protein and no carbs, or at least avoid them as best you can, I have lost 30#'s in 3 weeks, stalled at the moment, but was told that happens. But there is no calorie limits, much like the Atkins diet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll start by saying I know its not a good idea and have NO intentions of trying it,but if you were being forced to by some circumstance how would you break down the 1000 calories a day to get the best balance of protein,fat,fiber, vitamins,and carbs?  Big plus would be if it was relatively filling to make it seem like more food and the cheaper the better.  Lets hear your ideas and rational for them.  Thanks!  TJR
View Quote

I downloaded the calorie counter app but I'm not really using it any more, no need.
This is what I do and so far I lost over 22 pounds and still losing weight.
Basically I'm going for a plant based diet with very little meat in it. A bit of fish, a bit of chicken, and even less red meat (almost none to be honest)
So for most of my meals its boiled full grain basmati rice with some tumeric and vegetables with a bit of salad on the side, letuce and tomato.
Lentils with the same rice and a bit of pasta sauce is the other meal I do most often.
For desert I get a banana, an mandarin or some grapes. Sometimes a bit of dark chocolate. a glass of coke every now and then but not at all often, I try to keep it as natural as possible.
All of it being low cal, high nutrition I dont have to worry that much abotu calories. I have a handful of wallnuts once a day, we like doing tuna and veggie pie too, so those do nicely for protein along with the lentil and brown rice.
Yes a lot of water and working out a bit as well, mostly on my cardio, but I dont really say no to anything. If I want a beer (not often at all) I drink one, if I want pizza I eat it, or a nice piece of chocolate cake. Its just that I feel better when eating healtheir so I dont feel the need to stuff my face with junk. Oh, lots of yerba mate as well, but that's an Argentine thing.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I would go Paleo (I don't do it now nor ever have) but I would eat lean protein for breakfast (maybe a chicken breast 6oz) with some sort of low cal dressing.

Apple and a orange for lunch

Then for Dinner (after 1800 but before 2000 hrs) I would eat a large salad with lots of different greens and fiber rich adds in like broccoli, Legumes, carrots and some fish or chicken mixed in.

And some Iced tea or cold coffee for the anti oxidants in the morning for wake up juice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I would prioritize getting enough grams of protein to maintain my muscle mass, that's going to vary depending on how much muscle mass you have and how hard you are working those muscles. Fat is also necessary, but it usually comes with the protein. I would finish with enough carbs so that my food and muscle protein is not hijacked for glucose production.

Here is something to study:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_nutrient
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
you mean to tell me, that caloric intake should be in proportion to output to regulate weight,  are you a wizard?

What happens on a 1k  diet with no activity?

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Interestingly, along the vein of "S&P" I have stockpiled millions of calories so I don't ever have to find out..
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
1000 calories would be basically starving your self to death.  You'll lose fat, and also lose muscle mass.  I guess it would all depend on how over weight you are too begin with.

IIRC the prisoners in the Nazi internment camps had a 1300 calorie a day diet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Holy crap, I couldn't imagine.  Most of my snacks are almost 1000 calories.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have done it more than once.  40 lbs lost in 12 weeks.  Less than 1% muscle mass loss.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
1000 calories would be basically starving your self to death.  You'll lose fat, and also lose muscle mass.  I guess it would all depend on how over weight you are too begin with.
View Quote

Here is where you would be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to elaborate, or is that purely opinion?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean other than the 3 times I have done it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So losing 40lbs means you weren't starving yourself?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's correct.

starve  [stahrv]  Show IPA
verb (used without object), starved, starv·ing.
1. to die or perish from lack of food or nourishment.
2. to be in the process of perishing or suffering severely from hunger.
3. to suffer from extreme poverty and need.
4. to feel a strong need or desire: The child was starving for affection.
5. Chiefly British Dialect . to perish or suffer extremely from cold.

You will need a few days to adjust, but with a medically or otherwise trained supervisor, you will not starve and you need not lose lean muscle mass.

Just cutting yourself to 800-1000 calories of what you used to eat WILL have adverse effects, but not all calories are the same.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#26]
For reference, I cut from 230 to 190. I'm 6'1" with a medium frame (I wear a 44L).
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:32:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For reference, I cut from 230 to 190. I'm 6'1" with a medium frame (I wear a 44L).
View Quote

So yes, you were starving yourself.

Once your fat reserves run out, your body starts feeding on muscle mass.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:49:14 AM EDT
[#28]
My current routine is:

Banana - 100

Nothing - 0 cal

Pizza - 2500 cal

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would depend on the calories he needs to maintain a healthy weight given three factors 1)Height and general body structure 2)Metabolism 3)Calorie demand given lifestyle
If given those three he can keep a healthy weight with 1900 calories a day, then he will lose 40lbs if he's 40 lbs overweight.
That wouldnt be so much starving himself as it would be reaching a calorie intake balance that is right for him.
Now if he needs 1900 to stay in his weight and he's getting 1800, then as you say he would be starving himself by burning more than what he needs.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:25:54 AM EDT
[#30]
One item to consider in any weight reduction program is the necessity for additional vitamins and minerals that provide needed resources for cell growth. Negating the calories is one thing. Maintaining  muscle mass while on a reduced calorie diet can be impossible unless adequate protein is ingested, and that the necessary vitamin and mineral levels are maintained. You must get your body into a state where it burns fat and not muscle tissue. This stage is called ketosis.  Unfortunately, many people forget the simple process of monitoring their vitamin and mineral intake, blood pressure, and blood sugar, and cause themselves problems down the road. The other issue that is important to consider is the "afterwards". What are you going to do differently after the duration of the weight reduction program to keep the weight off and maintain a healthy lifestyle?
OBTW in the interests of full disclosure my wife is an RN, my daughter is a dietitian, and I am undergoing a measured weight loss program at this time under the direction of a health care team (plus having those two family members support my efforts at home). I've lost 45 pounds and average approximately 4-5 pounds per week.
I'm not where I want to be. I'm not where I'm going to be but I'm sure not where I was!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:50:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I lost 80lbs in 8 months using this and eating 1200 a day post exercise.

I walk 1 to 2 mi daily before breakfast ,rain or shine, hot or cold.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#32]
DJ is correct.

I lived off of 1,000 to 1,500 calories for 3-4 months while cutting weight for a competition.

Went from around 215 down to 171.

Looked like a frickin crackhead at 171 though and even though I was working out, running and fighting regularly I did lose muscle. Probably was not having enough protein but still I think the loss of muscle is inevitable on such a strict diet.

Walk around now around 180, waist is  roughly the same size and I've put muscle back on.

Honestly, I think it's good to KNOW how your body will act during that sort of thing.

Yeah, I have millions, probably billions of "calories in food storage" also, but that doesn't mean you will always have those.

I now KNOW what my body can and can't do under duress like that.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:42:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've lost 120 lbs?

OR you lost 40 lbs by starving yourself, then gained it back, then starved yourself again, and then did it a third time?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I think most of us are not going to be seriously harmed by such a diet if it is followed for only a few months.

People claim that low cal diets cause muscle loss. There is some truth to that. However, I would point out that may not be all bad, and it is almost inevitable. Muscle weighs more per unit volume than fat does. You can become fitter and actually gain weight. One of the problems with muscle mass loss is that the common ways muscle mass are measured are very inexact and inaccurate, so knowing just what you lost is never easy.

One thing that tends to happen on any diet is that the first week you lose a lot of water weight. Probably most or all of the weight lost on any diet the first week is not fat or muscle, but water. This is especially true of low carb diets where it is not uncommon for men to lose 10 pounds the first week.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:15:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I think most of us are not going to be seriously harmed by such a diet if it is followed for only a few months.

People claim that low cal diets cause muscle loss. There is some truth to that. However, I would point out that may not be all bad, and it is almost inevitable. Muscle weighs more per unit volume than fat does. You can become fitter and actually gain weight. One of the problems with muscle mass loss is that the common ways muscle mass are measured are very inexact and inaccurate, so knowing just what you lost is never easy.

One thing that tends to happen on any diet is that the first week you lose a lot of water weight. Probably most or all of the weight lost on any diet the first week is not fat or muscle, but water. This is especially true of low carb diets where it is not uncommon for men to lose 10 pounds the first week.

View Quote

A low calorie diet also extends life by 30% and slows down aging. Its amazing, several experiments showing just that with animals and yet most people wouldnt know that.
Yet another reason to eat less and go for a calorie restricted, optimal nutrition diet.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#36]
3 years ago I lost 110 lbs in 13 months eating around 900- 1100 calories a day. No ill affects,  I went from a 52 pant to a 38.  

I used Medifast and a no carb dinner of meat and vegetables & took vitamins.

I'm not dead.    
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Just eat healthier. I used to eat junk food everyday. Now I eat eggs for breakfast, salad for lunch, and meat and veggies for dinner. I noticed a vast improvement within a week. I'm not starving at all either since I eat fairly large portions. Sometimes I'll snack on fruit if I need a snack. Throw in daily work-outs and boom, you'll be fit in no time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I burn about 2000 calories/day.  The weight would rapidly disappear @ 1000/day.

I seem to recall, that the Nazi concentration camp diet provided 1,400cal/day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you ignore what the word means or the reality of how my body changed, sure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You've lost 120 lbs?

OR you lost 40 lbs by starving yourself, then gained it back, then starved yourself again, and then did it a third time?
View Quote

I've lost the weight 3 times. Once I had a bad injury that led to me being off my feet for an extended period of time, and once I had a really bad infection in my knee for months that kept me off my feet. Both times, lack of exercise and lots of "comfort food" (my wife feeds me what I like, not what I need when I'm hurting) helped me quickly regain the weight.

If incorrectly using that word helps you justify your preconceived notions, knock yourself out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
3 years ago I lost 110 lbs in 13 months eating around 900- 1100 calories a day. No ill affects,  I went from a 52 pant to a 38.  

I used Medifast and a no carb dinner of meat and vegetables & took vitamins.

I'm not dead.    
View Quote

I have used medifast.

One of the keys to avoiding muscle loss during caloric reduction is increased protein intake and regular, but non-intensive, exercise.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Back on topic, I would suggest you find ways of getting as much protein as possible and my second priority would be carbs.
Also, lots of micro-nutrients. You could rely on veggies, but they can be inconvenient depending on your circumstances.
A good multivitamin would be a must, and I would suggest extra vit. C as well as Echinacea due to the fact that your body tends to get run down and you become more susceptible to disease when your "starving" (sorry I used the "S" word, DJ).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#43]
It beats 0 calories per day.

I would suggest vitamins as a supplement.  

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#44]
When I got done with college football I decided to drop weight since I didn't need it anymore. Went to an 800 Cal a day diet. Consisted of protein shakes (whey and milk, with some benefiber) and fish oil for every meal. Once a week I got a bowl of oatmeal. Dropped 40 lb in 3 weeks. I was still working out 4-5 hours a day though. After about 6 weeks I went to a healthy diet of salads and lean protein and kept it off for about 3 years when I was in grad school and needed carbs for studying. Now I am getting the weight off again and I get more than 1000C but I still do a protein shake for breakfast and lunch. So to answer your question, I would use Whey protein and fish oil (or flax). The thing to remember is that there are essential amino acids, and essential fatty acids. There are no essential carbohydrates. So to have a low calorie diet, cut carbs and non-essential fats.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:36 AM EDT
[#45]
If a situation occurred where food would be scarce for months (or longer) and I had to tighten the belt, I'd plan on eating meals of dal and rice.

Dal - Indian variety of lentils and peas, almost exactly like split peas that you make the soups from. These sell for as little as $4 for 8 lbs. They cook faster than beans (around 25 minutes), do not require a soak, and do not cause nearly the intestinal upset beans can cause. They are very high in protein, have moderate fat, moderate calories, and a good amount of carbs.

The combination of dal and rice are a perfect compliment, and provide just about everything a person needs for daily nutrition.

Tastes good, great nutrition, cheap, and easy to prepare. And I keep a lot of it stored.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:14:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When I got done with college football I decided to drop weight since I didn't need it anymore. Went to an 800 Cal a day diet. Consisted of protein shakes (whey and milk, with some benefiber) and fish oil for every meal. Once a week I got a bowl of oatmeal. Dropped 40 lb in 3 weeks. I was still working out 4-5 hours a day though. After about 6 weeks I went to a healthy diet of salads and lean protein and kept it off for about 3 years when I was in grad school and needed carbs for studying. Now I am getting the weight off again and I get more than 1000C but I still do a protein shake for breakfast and lunch. So to answer your question, I would use Whey protein and fish oil (or flax). The thing to remember is that there are essential amino acids, and essential fatty acids. There are no essential carbohydrates. So to have a low calorie diet, cut carbs and non-essential fats.
View Quote

What's the best fish oil?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If a situation occurred where food would be scarce for months (or longer) and I had to tighten the belt, I'd plan on eating meals of dal and rice.

Dal - Indian variety of lentils and peas, almost exactly like split peas that you make the soups from. These sell for as little as $4 for 8 lbs. They cook faster than beans (around 25 minutes), do not require a soak, and do not cause nearly the intestinal upset beans can cause. They are very high in protein, have moderate fat, moderate calories, and a good amount of carbs.

The combination of dal and rice are a perfect compliment, and provide just about everything a person needs for daily nutrition.

Tastes good, great nutrition, cheap, and easy to prepare. And I keep a lot of it stored.
View Quote

Where do you buy it? And what brand(s)?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy it at the local Indian grocery. They have about a dozen varieties of dal (split pea) and a number of related peas / beans (chori beans, moong beans) that are basically the same thing. I usually look for whichever is cheapest for the largest quantity, when I shop.  I can almost always find some for $4-$5 per 8 lb bag. They also have rice at $11 for 25 lbs.

It's great for like term dry storage, much like rice:

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I burn about 2000 calories/day.  The weight would rapidly disappear @ 1000/day.

I seem to recall, that the Nazi concentration camp diet provided 1,400cal/day.
View Quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

the us army tested on conscientious objectors at just over 1500 calories per day, from food available in war torn Europe. it wasn't good for the test subjects.

Also, anecdotally, most of the women at the easting disorder clinic that I met ate around 1000 calories per day before they checked in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Not as bad as you might think really.  Americans are for the most part WAY overfed.  For instance 1000 calories consists of:

2 bowls of oatmeal

2 cups of Greek yogurt

3 cans of tuna or 2 of chunk chicken

2 apples.

View Quote

That's all?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top