Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2014 5:19:33 AM EDT
T4R, V6 gas.

Does it matter?  Rule of thumb is store with a full tank?  Treat the gas?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I store my jeep every winter in the barn.  Full tank of gas and park it.

It's not picky about the fuel it drinks, though.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:58:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Full tank helps prevent condensation.

Seafoam eats whatever water gets in there, and keeps gas from going 'stale' for up to a year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Fill it up, treat with snake oil, make sure your gas cap is good, trying to keep the system as sealed as possible.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I would treat with PRI G and fill it up.  Frankly, 3 months is nothing for a full tank of modern gas even without stabilizers.  But, I would still add a dose of PRI G for peace of mind.  

I just started my push mower after a winter of sitting.....so that's at over 5 months.  The gas contained ethanol (oh the horror) and I intentionally left the tank at less than 1/4 of a tank to see what would happen.  The gas WAS treated with PRI G.  Pushed the primer bulb a couple of times and fired it right up.  Ran fine.  And, this is in a tank that is vented to the atmosphere and also in a shop building that is only heated when I'm working out there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#5]
3 months?  Throw some stabilizer in there, and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
full tank, stabil, good gas cap and it will be fine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

full tank, stabil, good gas cap and it will be fine.
View Quote
What he said.

I stored a 1997 4.0L Jeep Wrangler in Kileen TX for 18 months while deployed to S. Korea.

It ran great when I got back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#8]
3 months is nothing. I wouldn't even worry about leaving the tank full of gas. I might consider leaving a float charger on the battery, however.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:10:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd just fill it up and not worry about it. No need for stabilizers. Like someone said, the battery is more likely to need a charge if it's older. You could unplug it too, but then you'd hafta reset your radio stations. It'd be easier if you can find someone to take it for a spin once a month and check tire pressure.

I'd just fill it up and park it. At worst you need a jump or a new battery that you probably needed anyway
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Disconnect the battery...

Too many parasitic losses in a vehicle for long term storage.

We leave a 90's Ford truck stored for years at a time and it amazingly starts with the first turn of the key.

Tank full or not, makes no difference to me.

I would keep enough fuel in the tank to fully cover any electrical fuel pump inside.

We often use a float charger as has already been mentioned/

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Great stuff thanks!

I don't know what a float charger is. . . . . .
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great stuff thanks!

View Quote

See thread below this one...

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to leave my old 92 Ranger parked for 3 to 6 months at a time when deploying in the navy. Only thing I ever did was disconnect the battery. It would always start right up after hooking the battery up. I'd often have to clean some mouse nests out from under the hood.
I always tried to leave the tank about half full of ethanol free gas, so that way I would come back and be able to stick some fresh gas in it right away. Not sure if it was ever necessary.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great stuff thanks!

View Quote

Obviously, its to keep your floats charged.

Expy, you disappoint, no comment on the snake juice?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
3 months?  Throw some stabilizer in there, and call it good.
View Quote

Hell, I've stored plain gas in plastic walmart cans for over a year and it runs my cars, chainsaws and mowers just fine.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
3 months is nothing. I wouldn't even worry about leaving the tank full of gas. I might consider leaving a float charger on the battery, however.
View Quote

This^,  I have left vehicles for up to 1.5 years and only had to charge the battery.  A few military deployments.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I just had a car in the body shop for four months with less than half a tank of gas and an open filler neck.  For the first couple of months it just sat there with no cap on the broke filler neck and the next couple of months with the filler neck removed.  It started right up.  All across the country cars sit on used car lots with just a few gallons in the tank and they start right up and drive off the lot.  Gas does not go bad like people think.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted: I might consider leaving a float charger on the battery, however.
View Quote

THIS.  BATTERY TENDER!   Trust me!
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:51:58 PM EDT
[#19]
3 months?  Shouldn't matter, just have a way to jump it off handy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I parked my '98 F-150 for 6 1/2 months while on deployment. I just filled the tank with no treatment and disconnected the battery. It fired right up ran just fine.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Full tank helps prevent condensation.

Seafoam eats whatever water gets in there, and keeps gas from going 'stale' for up to a year.
View Quote

This here.
Also just always good survival habit to have your tank full
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top