Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2014 2:57:26 PM EDT
I'm just loving this thing. Its not the most compact pocket LED light, nor is it the brightest, but with white, red, blue and IF to chose from, strobe and 4 output levels, built like a tank and capable of running on either a single CR123A, AA or AAA it has to be the most versatile flashlight out there. As if that wasnt enough, it can be clipped to a shit pcoket, attached to helmets or used as a headlamp along with a head strap.
Just great. Anyone else out there carrying one of these around in your pocket?
FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one on my Mich, it replaced an original Sidewinder which is now on an ancient PASGT. I agree, an excellent light. Only complaint I have is that it doesn't lock in position on my helmet very solidly, it rotates pretty easily....It is head and shoulders above the Surefire light, the new Energizer is a decent helmet light. I'm looking forward to seeing and trying out the new Petzl.....

http://www.batteryjunction.com/energizer-lehl11l.html?gclid=CNim2syh67wCFafm7AodZxQAWA

http://petzl-tactical.com/en/strix-headlamps-military-operations

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:38:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two, one in my work backpack and one in my truck.  It's my favorite flashlight.  The option of using different battery types appeals to me.  The durability is great so far.  The mounting options are awesome.  I've only used my Petzl headlamp a couple times since getting the Sidewinder.

Also, the IR mode works great to supplement the performance of my NV monocular.  I've only used that a couple times though to test it out.

It's an ideal everyday, hiking, camping, backpacking, emergency, multipurpose light.  Two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have two, one in my work backpack and one in my truck.  It's my favorite flashlight.  The option of using different battery types appeals to me.  The durability is great so far.  The mounting options are awesome.  I've only used my Petzl headlamp a couple times since getting the Sidewinder.

Also, the IR mode works great to supplement the performance of my NV monocular.  I've only used that a couple times though to test it out.

It's an ideal everyday, hiking, camping, backpacking, emergency, multipurpose light.  Two thumbs up.
View Quote

Yup, I made a small elastic band for it that fits under the metal clip. Not as solid as the headstrap it comes with but the little strap I made allows me to use it as a headlamp if needed and is out of the way under the clip for everday carry.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Yup, I made a small elastic band for it that fits under the metal clip. Not as solid as the headstrap it comes with but the little strap I made allows me to use it as a headlamp if needed and is out of the way under the clip for everday carry.
FerFAL
View Quote

I just got mine today. I'm impressed.  Pics or instructions for the small elastic band FerFAL?
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just got mine today. I'm impressed.  Pics or instructions for the small elastic band FerFAL?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FerFAL

Its just a small lenght of elastic band, got it at the grocery store where they sell needles, threads and buttons. I just cut and sew it so as to fit my head, then put a bit of gorilla tape to cover the union.
Here's a video review I did of the Sidewinder Compact II, at 30:55 I show the little headstrap. Its not super firm, but it keeps the light to the side of my head and doesnt move around that bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lJjIYYteAI
FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Its just a small lenght of elastic band, got it at the grocery store where they sell needles, threads and buttons. I just cut and sew it so as to fit my head, then put a bit of gorilla tape to cover the union.
Here's a video review I did of the Sidewinder Compact II, at 30:55 I show the little headstrap. Its not super firm, but it keeps the light to the side of my head and doesnt move around that bad.
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FerFAL

Thanks.  BTW, the reason I bought was your video review.  I forgot about the 30:55 headstrap segment.  The parts of your review that convinced me were the multiple battery capability and IR.  I had it out tonight and was even more impressed.  The white light is very good enough, even at the lower settings.  The IR is perfect for walking around.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the full-sized version (same head, I think, though.)

I swapped out the blue LED for a UV one, since I've found UV flashlights handy at times,
so it's switchable from white, red, IR or UV.

They're great lights. As you said, not the brightest, but they've got a nice runtime as a result.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I swapped out the blue LED for a UV one, since I've found UV flashlights handy at times,

They're great lights. As you said, not the brightest, but they've got a nice runtime as a result.
View Quote

Wow, that sounds fantastic, I'd LOVE to change the blue light for a UV LED. Could you please explain a bit more how you did that? Any forum or website where I could find info on how to do it or do you know of anyone that can get that done?
Thanks,
FerFAL
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wow, that sounds fantastic, I'd LOVE to change the blue light for a UV LED. Could you please explain a bit more how you did that? Any forum or website where I could find info on how to do it or do you know of anyone that can get that done?

Thanks,

FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

FerFAL

Same here.  That would be so awesome for scorpions, pet stains, or hotel rooms (ewww...).

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks.  BTW, the reason I bought was your video review.  I forgot about the 30:55 headstrap segment.  The parts of your review that convinced me were the multiple battery capability and IR.  I had it out tonight and was even more impressed.  The white light is very good enough, even at the lower settings.  The IR is perfect for walking around.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FerFAL

Thanks, glad you liked it! I'm loving it too. I think the reason it does so well is a combination of the lumen output being slightly underrated, and a good ammount fo throw that puts light where it is needed. Its no eye burning torch but it is very handy.

Quoted:
Same here.  That would be so awesome for scorpions, pet stains, or hotel rooms (ewww...).

Indeed, scorpions and other pests. For years I used a little UV light in my keychain for checking for conterfit money (not the only thing to check, but the UV light was so handy for that) I'd love ot have a UV light in my SCII. That would be the perfect light IMO.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 9:01:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks,
FerFAL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
FerFAL

It's not terribly difficult to do, but you'll need some skill with soldering (or more specifically, de-soldering.)

The quick steps for the AA Streamlight are as follows. The compact version might be a little different but I'm positive the board is the
same since it's the exact same flashlight head.

Remove the four screws in the corners of the lens bezel.
Remove the bezel and lens (which is just a thin piece of polycarbonate as far as I can tell.) There's a gasket as well, don't lose it.
Remove the reflector for the white LED. It's loose so it just comes out.
Lift the light selector knob as high as it will go. This will let the knob sensors clear the knob, and the entire flashlight PCB can be removed from the housing.

At this point you'll have the PCB dangling from wires. The wires are bit stiff, so if you flex them too much you might break them and have to re-solder the
connection. I got annoyed by this enough that I replaced the wire with more flexible stuff.

You want a short-wavelength 5mm UV LED, either 395nm or 365nm.  Something like this.
You will need to be aware of the anode and cathode, but rather than getting complicated what I suggest is to clip the leads even at this point and turn the light
on and touch the LED to the back of blue LED's leads until it lights, and make a note of which lead goes where with a spot of sharpie marker on the leads..
Remember LEDs only work one way.

OK, here's the hardest part of the whole job. You need to de-solder the blue LED. I used a fine-tip soldering iron and a solder-sucker (it's a pen-like spring loaded
vacuum) to get rid of most of the solder on the LED's leads. Once that's done, I used needlenose pliers or a hemostat to pull on the LED's lead while heating
the wire. It'll eventually pull out. Do both leads, and then make sure the holes are clear for the new LED insertion.

Once the holes are clear, take the UV LED that you marked, and insert it, re-solder leads, and then clip leads.

The rest is just reassembling everything.

This is just a single LED, and the Streamlight is not a bright light to begin with, so have realistic expecations about how much UV light you get.
In the dark, it will be more than enough to see the UV colored bands in a dollar bill, or see where the cat peed with the light a couple feet
away. It will easily charge glow-in-the-dark items a few feet away. You won't be able to find scorpions at 10 feet.

As far as getting this done, you need some decent soldering tools and fine motor skills. It's far from rocket science. Any electronics hobbyist
could do this. I'd suggest maybe looking to see if there's a nearby maker-space (they are geek hangouts with tools) that could help,
or maybe a decently equipped ham or electronics enthusiast.
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's not terribly difficult to do, but you'll need some skill with soldering (or more specifically, de-soldering.)

The quick steps for the AA Streamlight are as follows. The compact version might be a little different but I'm positive the board is the

Remove the bezel and lens (which is just a thin piece of polycarbonate as far as I can tell.) There's a gasket as well, don't lose it.
Lift the light selector knob as high as it will go. This will let the knob sensors clear the knob, and the entire flashlight PCB can be removed from the housing.

At this point you'll have the PCB dangling from wires. The wires are bit stiff, so if you flex them too much you might break them and have to re-solder the
connection. I got annoyed by this enough that I replaced the wire with more flexible stuff.

You want a short-wavelength 5mm UV LED, either 395nm or 365nm.  Something like this.
You will need to be aware of the anode and cathode, but rather than getting complicated what I suggest is to clip the leads even at this point and turn the light
on and touch the LED to the back of blue LED's leads until it lights, and make a note of which lead goes where with a spot of sharpie marker on the leads..

OK, here's the hardest part of the whole job. You need to de-solder the blue LED. I used a fine-tip soldering iron and a solder-sucker (it's a pen-like spring loaded
vacuum) to get rid of most of the solder on the LED's leads. Once that's done, I used needlenose pliers or a hemostat to pull on the LED's lead while heating
the wire. It'll eventually pull out. Do both leads, and then make sure the holes are clear for the new LED insertion.

Once the holes are clear, take the UV LED that you marked, and insert it, re-solder leads, and then clip leads.

This is just a single LED, and the Streamlight is not a bright light to begin with, so have realistic expecations about how much UV light you get.
In the dark, it will be more than enough to see the UV colored bands in a dollar bill, or see where the cat peed with the light a couple feet
away. It will easily charge glow-in-the-dark items a few feet away. You won't be able to find scorpions at 10 feet.

As far as getting this done, you need some decent soldering tools and fine motor skills. It's far from rocket science. Any electronics hobbyist
could do this. I'd suggest maybe looking to see if there's a nearby maker-space (they are geek hangouts with tools) that could help,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,
FerFAL

Thanks!
I soldered a few things here and there but nothing like this. Would suck to ruin the flashlight.
Any chance you work doing this sort of stuff yourself? I'd send it your way to have the 365nm LED fitted :)
FerFAL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top