Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2013 9:11:51 AM EDT
Alright, just sharing my wife's first blog post.  For some background, she's been planning for her first section hike on the Appalachian Trail this spring/summer; just a ~90 mile section, but her first significant trek.  We've been doing a lot of shorter backpacking trips and we've done several 8-10 mile days hikes with loaded packs.  She'll be hitting the AT after schools out in May; I'm hoping to at least do a few days with her if work will allow it.

I figured this may be helpful for the female-gender types who have considered some options/techniques to bugging out on foot...???

Anyways, she's been experimenting with some of the more "challenging" obstacles women face when backpacking...peeing is the first one.  She has a pretty humorous article and a pretty unique solution (well, not unique, but a more inexpensive take on specific-made products).  My wife is not your typical girly-girl, but she's found athletic skirts as a great hiking outwear, and they also help her trekking solution to "peeing in the woods"...

Peeing in the Woods
Let’s face it. Whether we like talking about it or not, everyone who has ever ventured into the woods for a significant amount of time must eventually pee in the woods. It’s going to happen…unless you are severely dehydrated, which I do not recommend. For boys, like Mr. Dirty, this is such a small issue that it doesn’t event register on his radar as an issue. Boys are taught to pee on trees from a very young age. In fact, our son – Dirty Boy – went through a stage (when he was 2… not recently) in which he would ONLY pee outdoors. It disturbed the neighbors so we had to put up a privacy fence. For those of us who are less equipped for the situation (read: females), peeing in the woods can be traumatic. The misters who are reading this right now are probably thinking that I’m over exaggerating by using the word “traumatic.” Trust me, guys, I chose that word for a reason. Want an example?

Just this summer, Mr. Dirty & I took Dirty Boy and his friend (shall we call him Dirty Friend? I don’t think he would be offended) on a short backpacking trip to one of our favorite destinations: Panther Creek Falls in North Georgia. The trip was amazing. We pitched our hammocks right beside a large gazing rock that overlooked a small series of falls. It was perfect. Perfect weather, perfect food, perfect setting, perfect company. In summation, it was perfect. Except for the peeing in the woods part. Before I climbed my worn & weary body into my well hung hammock for the night, I had to venture far into the dark woods to pee. Did I mention that the woods were dark? I grabbed my yellow bandana (reusable toilet paper – just wash & dry) and forded a HUGE stream – okay, now I’m exaggerating. I hopped over this tiny stream to find a nice secluded spot, well off the trail and away from the water source, where I could do my business. I found an awesome spot with a downed tree that I could use to balance in order to avoid peeing on my shoes. It’s not as easy as guys might think. JUST as I was unzipping my pants and they were traveling to my knees, from behind me came a low but steady growl. It makes the hairs on my arms stand up when I even think about it! Needless to say, I whipped my pants up and took off running. I jumped that stream like I was Lolo Jones at the London Olympics!! All of the boys on our trip like to tease me about it being a rabid squirrel, but I know in my heart of hearts that it was something much bigger and with scarier teeth than that! After that trip, I made it my mission to find an easier way to pee in the woods.

I researched hiking in skirts – with or without undies. I was all set to go sans skivvies until my lovely mother informed me that I would be quite miserable if I happened to get ticks in places where ticks should never go. Thanks, mom. I had already purchased a few running skirts for my upcoming section hike of the Appalachian Trail. These are awesome skirts. They wick moisture & are quick drying. At the time, I planned to remove the inner compression short so that peeing in the woods would be an easier task. But that was before my conversation with mom – who, by the way, thinks I have lost my ever loving mind.

As I was stalking the trail journal of a female AT thru hiker, I came upon the mention of a certain product that I never knew existed: the pee funnel. Apparently, this is a big industry! A quick perusal of Amazon.com brought multiple options for how to pee in the woods ranging in price from $8 to $30. Being the cheapskate that my mother raised me to be (thanks again, mom), I knew that I had to find a cheaper alternative. Off to Wally World I went in search of a funnel that I could use as my very own pee funnel.

My search of the Wally World shelves made me feel a bit like Goldilocks. The first one I found was much too wide. It was bigger than both of my hands splayed side by side. It simply wouldn’t work. The second one was too long & much too phallic-looking. I could imagine the looks and comments that I would receive with THAT thing attached to the outside of my pack! The third one that I found was – as we all know from the story – just right.

“What funnel did you find, Mrs. Dirty?” you may be asking. Well, in the camping section of my local Walmart, I found Coghlan’s fuel filter funnel… for $1.97!! Let me tell you about this funnel. It is made of a yellow (love it!) polypropylene and is 2.25 inches in diameter. The best part is that it only weighs half an ounce and comes with a handy little chain that I can use to attach it to a small carabineer for hanging on my pack. I didn’t measure it; I promise. I looked it up on REI – where, might I add, you can purchase the same funnel for $3.75.

Yesterday, Mr. Dirty & I went out for a small hike at our local state park. I wore my new North Face Cirque-U-Late running skirt – which I highly recommend for its total awesomeness.

When the need arose to pee in the woods, it was magical & completely liberating! What is to follow may be a little TMI for some of you (read: guys), but the ladies will want to know. So here goes. The compression shorts under the running skirt are very easy to move to the side; therefore, enabling the use of the pee funnel. I didn’t need to remove my pack to pee. I didn’t need to expose my backside to bears, bugs, boys, or baneful botanicals (read: poison ivy or poison oak… I needed another “b” word to keep up the alliteration). Another bonus of using the pee funnel, which I have dubbed the shenis (don’t judge, just laugh), is that it cut down on wasted time on the trail. We covered more ground in less time.
I highly encourage any hiker who is feeling emboldened to purchase a pee funnel. Yes, I said ANY hiker. Guys, help your lady hiker friend out… gift her with a pee funnel. Ladies, get you a pee funnel. It’s equal to the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the US Constitution

Hope you all enjoyed it!  For those with female significant others, this may be a viable solution if they're willing to give it a shot; heck, I may start giving the kilt another look:D

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You know the rules!  

Plus your link is FUBAR  Double fail!
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You know the rules!  

Sorry about that...you're correct; link removed, but the article is pretty entertaining and hopefully helpful as another option for women on the trail...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 9:47:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Rule fail.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I got as far as "like Mr. Dirty, this is such a small issue"
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 9:56:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Big Grin.   Reminded me of the time my future wife and I went camping and my black lab snuck up on her the same way in the dark.  She had the same reaction.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You know the rules!  

Those are GD rules.  The survival forum is not so crass. (or should not be)

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

At least she didn't grab the long-tube funnel!  It would be me sneaking off and finding a hiding spot to take care of business!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know the rules!  

Those are GD rules.  The survival forum is not so crass. (or should not be)

To keep anybody's panties from wadding up (may interfere with their funnel use), I removed the blog site.  If anybody does want the link, as my wife is going to add in her journal notes on various topics from hammock use, backpacking food dehydration, footwear and other equipment use; PM me and I'll shoot you the link.  

I think for most of us here, this is pretty basic stuff; however, a lot of women may show more interest if they read about experiences from other women.  Although this is more backpacking-related, she does plan to CCW on the trail (where she can legally).  Most of her journal notes would double as good lessons learned for bugging out on foot.  This is just a different vector on most of what we already know...a different perspective...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I read the blog.  Nicely written.  You two make a nice couple!
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#10]
This is useful information which I can use to benefit my wife and three daughters.  Tell your wife "thanks" on my behalf.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I read the blog.  Nicely written.  You two make a nice couple!

Thanks, much appreciated.  It was my wife's idea to journal her prep for the pending hike.  I have several posts I've made in the past she plans to add (one as a hammock camping primer and "kid's essentials" for when our kids were younger and hiking with us).  

My wife is an English teacher and much better writer than I...although her sense of humor can be a tad "rough around the edges" for some

Quoted:
This is useful information which I can use to benefit my wife and three daughters.  Tell your wife "thanks" on my behalf.

Hopefully it will help some and I'll let her know.  I spend a lot of time outdoors...kayaking, mountain biking, backpacking/hiking, rock climbing, shooting/hunting and my wife has joined me the majority of the time and enjoys a lot of the same hobbies.  I'm a firm believer that ensuring your preparedness starts with sharing activities with your significant other and getting them to think about things a little differently than most of the sheep we see daily.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#12]
My SO uses a cup and rinses it out.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll never think of the yellow funnel I fill my lanterns with the same again
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#14]
A female urinal is another option, A little more 'anatomically designed' than a funnel.

Probably would need some 'discreet' packaging tho. if just hooked onto a pack.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A female urinal is another option, A little more 'anatomically designed' than a funnel.
Probably would need some 'discreet' packaging tho. if just hooked onto a pack.

Yeah, my wife was doing a lot of research into "female funnels" and found out about somebody using a much less expensive fuel funnel.  She also read about all the messes women made with the anatomically correct versions and she thinks it more about the technique than the device.  She's quite adept and using the little yellow funnel without making a mess...maybe it just works better for her.  Plus the little yellow funnel on the outside of the pack really doesn't draw much attention as it's a typical camp fuel funnel...just don't ask to borrow hers

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll take the URL to share w/ Mrs. Slice if you don't mind.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You know the rules!  

This is not GD
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Guys, just Google a paste of the first paragraph.

She is Beautiful, and he looks old enough to be...

An Army Guy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, who's the weird looking dude next to her?
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

At least she found a solution

Quoted:
It is made of a yellow (love it!) polypropylene and is 2.25 inches in diameter.
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, who's the weird looking dude next to her?

Yeah, that would be the one "NOT" using a funnel to pee with.  That last mile of our hike I had to unload the bladder and my wife asked if she could share the same tree I was peeing on...I should feel threatened

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

My SO uses a cup and rinses it out.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Now my wife wants to get into an argument so she can use the quotes of "seeing who can pee the highest on the fire hydrant" or more appropriately..."measuring to see who's funnel is bigger"

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/3/2013 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll take a link please.

Link Posted: 1/3/2013 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I related your wife's blog to my gf tonight. She seemed pretty repulsed by the idea.

Maybe it was the yellow rag, or the idea that now you have to carry around this funnel that's been peed on all day.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 3:49:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I related your wife's blog to my gf tonight. She seemed pretty repulsed by the idea.

Maybe it was the yellow rag, or the idea that now you have to carry around this funnel that's been peed on all day.

Those were my initial thoughts as well, however after seeing it in action (to a certain degree), it’s pretty straight forward and my wife said it was no less messy than the squatting method.  In fact, she said it’s much easier than the hassle of squatting (especially with pants).  As to the funnel; well, she rinses it, puts it on her pack uses a little hand-sanitizer and moves out.  

I’m pretty anal on sanitation (pun intended), and this is better than most methods.  The late Ron Hood packed around a large rag with a marked line in the center separating the two ends.  One end said face and the other said ass.  That’s a little too extreme for me and if you mixed up the sides because you weren’t quite awake is more than just a little nasty, it can and will impact your health.  Any Soldier who has had a bout of “monkey butt” or “crotch rot” will attest to how debilitating these poor hygiene results can significantly impact your ability to keeping moving and running at optimum regardless of your activities.  Add in the more severe diarrhea and the subsequent dehydration could result in much more severe problems including death…an unpleasant one.

These are all different methods for dealing with the “dirty” business on the trail.  I’m far from an ultra-light hiker, but some of these methods can still maintain the important aspect of proper sanitation but reduce the amount of weight or bulk with disposable items.  Sure, I pack a roll of TP and a small pack of travel wet-wipes, but if you’re planning on living out of your pack for more than a couple of weeks, you’re going to have to consider more efficient methods to conserve resources.    

What’s the difference with using reusable cotton diapers?  Parents and grandparents have used them in the past.  On the more disgusting but interesting method of dealing with the, err, monthly issues most women must deal with there are some reusable devices (real sponge or some type of cup).  Again, not something (if I was a woman) would want to mess with, but unless your significant female other (or daughters/female friends) have a large stock of tampons, you may need to consider other devices that can be reused.  

I’ve found backpacking a pretty good testing ground for myself and my wife is now really getting into it and figuring out how to deal with some of the unpleasant topics often not discussed.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, if it works for her, have at it.

We watched some of these cheapskate shows or something where the family was using fabric or towels for toilet paper, washing it, and reusing it. They had a special hamper it all went in, then machine washed it separately.

We were both kind of . And while we make soap and detergents at home to save money, toilet paper isn't that expensive. In a SHTF scenario, I guess we would do something similar if the situation called for it. But hauling something around like that for a couple of days and reusing it, kinda gross, then there's just trying to stay clean from it and not get sick.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#28]
She's a really good writer; I'll pass this along to my wife.  She is quite traumatized by the subject!
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#29]

i can see it now, women standing up with a tube out their fly peeing on trees.

Link Posted: 1/4/2013 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Great article , well written and funny. Hello from the west center of Ga.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Ha, good information! When planning any hiking trips with females I will pass on the suggestion! And I collect Coleman camp stoves and lanterns, so I have at least 4 or five of those funnels, unopened and still in the packaging.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:35:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Google "Shenis"
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Well written. She's funny. I'm sending it to my wife.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#35]
LOL! Thanks for that.

As a serious question to the OP...
What does one do to the funnel after one uses it? Does one just shake it out? Does one have to carry sanitizer to clean it? It just seems a lot more gross to my so to carry that around than deal with squatting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I can see from the replies that if the SHTF, a lot of folks are going have to get over being scared of their pee and poop.
Top Top