[#1]
Tag! This is great

Edit: pg 7 is mine!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I finished the flooring yesterday and started installing the wood burning stove. I used reclaimed bricks for the base.

The stove pipe was a real pain, but it finally went together.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_132525_zps1f1ef92a.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_132545_zpsf33513ea.jpg

After I had it all put together, I couldn't wait to fire it up!

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_133033_zps851311ba.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_133634_zps5c3245fe.jpg

Worked great! Got it nice and hot to see if I did it right. Seemed fine.

never had a wood stove and this may sound like a daft question but can hot ash still fall between the bricks and onto the wood floor

I believe it's supposed to have a sheet metal underlayment. Been awhile since I've had my nose in the UFC though.

thanks , just wanted to check

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Inspiring!  

Is that pipe up to code??

From what i've read, single wall pipe needs to be 18" from the wall, or 12" with a barrier. I'll be placing some reclaimed tin (weathered and rusty for the rustic look) on the walls around the stove and pipe. That oughta keep me from burning down the house.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Inspiring!  

Is that pipe up to code??

What code? What is importon, is it Triple Wall?

Nice place! Great work. Been setting here reading and looking
at the great pictures. Enjoying it! (Knowing dam well I could not do that.)
You said a few post back: " I'm gonna be on leave starting the 20th",
Military leave?  Which branch?  
Keep the hive posted. Even after the build is done!

PITA45

For the stove pipe, it's single wall, but i'll have a barrier between it and the wall.

I've been in the Army for 13 years, Medic. I'll be getting my 1st look at E-7 in a couple months.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I finished the flooring yesterday and started installing the wood burning stove. I used reclaimed bricks for the base.

The stove pipe was a real pain, but it finally went together.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_132525_zps1f1ef92a.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_132545_zpsf33513ea.jpg

After I had it all put together, I couldn't wait to fire it up!

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_133033_zps851311ba.jpg
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20121227_133634_zps5c3245fe.jpg

Worked great! Got it nice and hot to see if I did it right. Seemed fine.

never had a wood stove and this may sound like a daft question but can hot ash still fall between the bricks and onto the wood floor

I believe it's supposed to have a sheet metal underlayment. Been awhile since I've had my nose in the UFC though.

thanks , just wanted to check

Good idea. I have the flashing, i'll get a layer underneath there.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So, I got myself in gear and finished the siding.

A few(not so flattering) action shots.

And, here it is. All done except for trimming in the corners!

Great job man I love cabin threads.

Anyway, I'm no master carpenter, but I'd put a drip edge where your soffit boards are meeting your fascia. I'm pretty sure the soffit is supposed be under the fascia board a bit to keep rain from rolling back in and causing water damage.

Speed

I do have it the wrong way now that you mention it. I'll have to go with some drip edge, or at least weather proof it one way or another.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
So, I got myself in gear and finished the siding.

A few(not so flattering) action shots.

And, here it is. All done except for trimming in the corners!

Great job man I love cabin threads.

Anyway, I'm no master carpenter, but I'd put a drip edge where your soffit boards are meeting your fascia. I'm pretty sure the soffit is supposed be under the fascia board a bit to keep rain from rolling back in and causing water damage.

Speed

I do have it the wrong way now that you mention it. I'll have to go with some drip edge, or at least weather proof it one way or another.

I've been lurking so far in this thread; great thread, thanks! Gives me some ideas for our undeveloped property.

This is very important though: Never depend on sealant/adhesive to do the job that should be done mechanically by a drip edge or the like. It can work as a band-aid but shouldn't be the first choice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Any new progress?
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Any new progress?

Couldn't make it out last weekend and the weekend before that I didn't take any pics of the little amount that we did do. I'll be out there this weekend. I miss that crooked little cabin!
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any new progress?

Couldn't make it out last weekend and the weekend before that I didn't take any pics of the little amount that we did do. I'll be out there this weekend. I miss that crooked little cabin!

C'mon man. We are living vicariously through you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any new progress?

Lol. I show the guys at work the same pics y'all have seen. I got people I don't even know inviting themselves out to help...or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:53:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any new progress?

Lol. I show the guys at work the same pics y'all have seen. I got people I don't even know inviting themselves out to help...or whatever.

Personal experience at my house, they are mostly interested in the whatever.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]
opsec
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome project. I know nothing about construction, but I do know about wood.

I run a pressure washing company and I specialize in wood restoration and preservation. That being said, PLEASE don't sell yourself short by applying a clear water sealer to that wood. It is absolutely beautiful and I am sure you want to keep it that way. I would suggest a good qaulity OIL BASED stain of your choice. I have switched to Armstrong Clark stains exclusively and they give me great results. A clear sealer will give you minimal protection against water damage and NO protection from UV damage. An oil based stain will preserve the wood and protect from water and UV damage. Plus, with an oil based product you can come back in a few years (you should see an easy 3-4 year service on vertical surfaces, 2-3 on horizontals) and reapply a new coat of stain without stripping the wood back to natural finish. We refer to this as a maint. coat and it can be done as many times as needed, as long as it is kept up.

If you want some more info on the correct prepping process or anything let me know. For the record, I do not sell stain or any related materials. Just giving a suggestion.

Looking forward to updates!
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
opsec

Please explain.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Awesome project. I know nothing about construction, but I do know about wood.

I run a pressure washing company and I specialize in wood restoration and preservation. That being said, PLEASE don't sell yourself short by applying a clear water sealer to that wood. It is absolutely beautiful and I am sure you want to keep it that way. I would suggest a good qaulity OIL BASED stain of your choice. I have switched to Armstrong Clark stains exclusively and they give me great results. A clear sealer will give you minimal protection against water damage and NO protection from UV damage. An oil based stain will preserve the wood and protect from water and UV damage. Plus, with an oil based product you can come back in a few years (you should see an easy 3-4 year service on vertical surfaces, 2-3 on horizontals) and reapply a new coat of stain without stripping the wood back to natural finish. We refer to this as a maint. coat and it can be done as many times as needed, as long as it is kept up.

If you want some more info on the correct prepping process or anything let me know. For the record, I do not sell stain or any related materials. Just giving a suggestion.

Looking forward to updates!

Good to know! I'll will definitely be going with an oild based stain. I want maximum protection from the elements.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 10:51:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks great!  I'm always telling myself, "One day..."

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome. I'm dreaming of doing exactly that except in a place with more water. It is especially cool to see the kids involved.

Are you going to add a rim or flashing to the end rafters?

Did you add some tie down straps from the rafters to the walls?

Instead of a roof for the deck, how about a canvas tarp that rolls in, like they have on RV's?

At your brick pad, why not fill the gaps with mason's sand so that ash and cinders can't make it through the brick?

Use the glue liberally.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Awesome. I'm dreaming of doing exactly that except in a place with more water. It is especially cool to see the kids involved.

Are you going to add a rim or flashing to the end rafters? I'm going to add flashing

Did you add some tie down straps from the rafters to the walls? I used hurricane clips

Instead of a roof for the deck, how about a canvas tarp that rolls in, like they have on RV's? Not a bad idea, but i'll need the roof for rain water collection

At your brick pad, why not fill the gaps with mason's sand so that ash and cinders can't make it through the brick? Great idea! I was going to pull it all up and lay down flashing, but I like this idea better!

Use the glue liberally.

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess I'm a bit late with this, but you can apply construction adhesive (the big quart tubes) to the studs before applying the plywood sheathing and make the whol thing a very, very rigid shear wall. For a building that size it's not a lot of $ for adhesive. You can do the same on the interior as well.

Don't know if someone has answered this yet, but I don't care.
To properly shear nail, the nailing pattern is usually 6 inch on the sides and 10-12 in the field. This includes nailing into the upper and lower plates to lock the panel together. Glue might help fractionally but isn't necessary for shear wall. The nailing creates a "shear panel".
Its used on sub-floors to prevent squeaks from the movement of the nails/sub-floor that will come loose over time.

Glue is stronger than nails. A bead of quality construction adhesive down each stud is far stronger than nailing. The nails hold it while the glue cures.

Well, as a contractor with over 30 years of experience, I have never seen an engineer call out gluing a shear wall. Living in California, the bay area specifically, everything structural is engineered.I asked one about it once and was told that glue does nothing for shear value. If the wall starts moving in an earthquake, the glue just breaks. Its not designed to handle side to side motion. Its designed to keep two things together with no movement.
The nails that are called out for shear nailing are 10d shorts. Basically a 10d nail thats about 2.5 inches long but as thick as a regular 10d nail with either ring shank or small barbs that help to prevent it from backing out in an earthquake.

Allow me to explain. The glue is stronger than nails and in a non-seismic application is certainly acceptable as a part of a system resisting lateral force. I design temporary diaphragms out of 2x lumber with plywood gussets glued and screwed. The glue does the work, the screws clamp the pieces until the glue sets. When it fails, the plywood delaminates. Seismic connections require ductility - it has to stretch without breaking - so that the building does not collapse even if it is racked and tilted and henceforth uninhabitable. Glued connections are too stiff for a seismic application. There may be a new adhesive system that addresses the issue, but I haven't seen one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you going to add a rim or flashing to the end rafters? I'm going to add flashing

Did you add some tie down straps from the rafters to the walls? I used hurricane clips

Instead of a roof for the deck, how about a canvas tarp that rolls in, like they have on RV's? Not a bad idea, but i'll need the roof for rain water collection

At your brick pad, why not fill the gaps with mason's sand so that ash and cinders can't make it through the brick? Great idea! I was going to pull it all up and lay down flashing, but I like this idea better!

Use the glue liberally.

I forgot about the rain water.

Oh yeah, totally subscribed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2013 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
opsec

Please explain.

Showing lots of people where you're gonna go if there's a problem.

If you also show them the stuff you have. .  .. well, I don't think it's a great idea unless they're on your team.

ETA it's not necessarily your friends I would worry about-- rather it's about the people they talk to.  Casually, unintentionally.

Link Posted: 1/10/2013 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
opsec

Please explain.

Showing lots of people where you're gonna go if there's a problem.
If you also show them the stuff you have. .  .. well, I don't think it's a great idea unless they're on your team.
ETA it's not necessarily your friends I would worry about-- rather it's about the people they talk to.  Casually, unintentionally.

I understand, and completely agree.  

I feel I have been vague in the important areas. But, as in all things, I suppose time will tell.

Thank you for the OPSEC reminder. It is easy to forget that the flow of info can help or harm.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, it's been a helluva weekend.

Me and a buddy headed out to the cabin Saturday morning and decided to check the feeders and trail cameras first. As we came to the clearing where the 1st feeder and trail camera was set up, I immediately noticed something wrong. There was neither a feeder or a trail camera there. I speed walked to check on the 2nd trail camera and feeder only to find them gone as well. Yep, both feeders and both trail cameras had been stolen.

We followed the trail that was left by the thieves and apparently they used an abandoned neighboring property to access the back side of my land where the feeders used to be.

I wasn't in a productive mood that day and decided to do a little thinkin drinkin back at the cabin.

I haven't had the property fenced in yet, well, because I was gonna do it later. I'm going to do some research for a reputable fencing company and have it fenced in, effective immediately.

ETA: I'm open to suggestions on how to discourage thievery.

I suppose the weekend wasn't a total loss...The next morning I cooked up some bacon and eggs on the stove and enjoyed the brisk morning.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 6:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.

Sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ETA: I'm open to suggestions on how to discourage thievery.

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Lol. Funny you mention that, we joked about claymores last night!
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I am not kidding.

http://www.amazon.com/16-Grizzly-Bear-Trap/dp/B00021UX6I

Link Posted: 1/13/2013 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not kidding.

http://www.amazon.com/16-Grizzly-Bear-Trap/dp/B00021UX6I

We also discussed that option as well. (Lots of thinkin drinkin)
But, I have also heard it can be quite illegal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2013 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#30]
My bad.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I've enjoyed your thread so far, and I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your crime problem. :-(

I used to have to manage "green field" land for a rock quarry company, which means among many other things, that I had to go around checking on their various "not currently in use" properties. In doing this, I had more than one run-in with trespassers, vandals, etc. We tried many things to keep people out, but the bottom line is that if someone wants to get in there, they _will_ get in. A fence, in many cases, will hardly slow them down. If you can manage to find a way to use terrain to your advantage, such as putting a fence in an area that's hard to access anyway (near a cliff, in a mud bog, etc), sometimes you can make it a big enough pain in the butt that they won't mess with trying to get through it. Sometimes super thick trees can help in certain situations. For example, on one property, the first thing we did was put up a gate. Came back, and the gate was torn down. So we put in a big stout gate, locked it up and left. Came back and the lock had been cut off. So we put a really hefty lock on there. Someone used an acetylene torch to cut it off this time. :-(  Next, we brought a big welder and put a MASSIVE lock box on the gate, so that the lock was inaccessable. Next time we came back, I expected to see the box in pieces, but apparently it had been stout enough to cause problems for the trespasser(s). Thought we solved the problem. Nope. We found where they had taken a chain saw and cut another trail into the property, bypassing the gate. The bottom line is that whatever gate and fence you put up had better be _very_ stout, and situated in a way that will make it hard/uncomfortable for someone to get through it. ** The best way to keep people from getting through your gate/fence is - when possible - to situate things so that neighbors can see it. That way, when the thief/thieves come along and start trying to get through the fence, someone is likely to see them.

Get to know the neighbors, and the sheriff's department. Let them know what vehicles are "okay", so that they can be on the lookout for anyone who shouldn't be there. The bottom line though, is that it's not easy to keep someone out, if they want in. The gate issue I described above was finally resolved when a co-worker and I went to the land one day to get a water sample (gotta keep the epa happy, ya know), and we caught a guy there on a 4 wheeler, who was poaching. Needless to say, he was armed. So were we. The situation could have turned very bad, but we managed to disarm him and get his ID, etc... Turned out he lived about a mile down the road, and had always come there to hunt, ride, etc., and I suppose he felt he had some "right" to be there. We didn't have anymore problems there after that.

At another place, we had to "hire" the next door neighbor to be a sort of "watchman". That worked, but I always had the feeling that it was more like "protection money"... as in, it was probably him doing it in the first place. LOL

With all that being said, that was all back before really small easily concealed cameras were as cheap and available as they are today. You might try putting some well hidden cameras there. Be sure to try to place them where you can see license plates, if possible.

Anyway, I sure hate that you're having problems, and I hope you can get things worked out. Until you can figure out who's doing what, I suppose you'll be better off just leaving the house unlocked, so they won't be tempted to break through the door. :-(
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#32]
We got a camera that emails us on activation.

You would need cell service however.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Definitely going to place some well hidden cameras around the property. I'll be back out there this weekend to get some work done. It's just disheartening to pour your blood, sweat and tears into something and then have someone defile it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Definitely going to place some well hidden cameras around the property. I'll be back out there this weekend to get some work done. It's just disheartening to pour your blood, sweat and tears into something and then have someone defile it.

Cheapest and safest way that you could have realized the importance of keeping outsiders OUT. Now you'll have time to be ready for when it really counts. I'd say call it a blessing, but I'm a dirty atheist
Link Posted: 1/16/2013 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Check Craigslist I found my buddys feeder and deer stand on there awhile back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I know the feeling bud.

Good luck.

Speed

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Re thievery:

Don't keep anything in there of value.  
Leave the curtains open.
Make the door convenient to break into (and repair).

Sucks, but it is what I have observed with a family cabin out in the woods.  Door kicked in several times over the years, a couple of broken windows, nothing taken because there was nothing there to take.  Fixing the damage took a few hours, a few dollars, and a trip or two to the hardware store.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#38]
You'll love it out there. I had a 525 acre ranch for about 10 years west of Hunt up on the Divide not far from Mountain Home.
Raised whitetail and exotics and some Longhorns.
There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss it. Gods Country for sure.
Good luck and enjoy
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Re thievery:

Leave the curtains open.

Sucks, but it is what I have observed with a family cabin out in the woods.  Door kicked in several times over the years, a couple of broken windows, nothing taken because there was nothing there to take.  Fixing the damage took a few hours, a few dollars, and a trip or two to the hardware store.

Why not just leave it unlocked?

soldierman79: Kind of curious, can the cabin and your vehicle be seen from the highway?
I mean, over where I live (in the same general area) people are pretty skittish of crossing fence lines.
I think both thefts were probably committed by the same people and they must be on the property fairly regularly to see if anyone is there.

Unfortunately, I think they must live in the area, it's kind of deserted out there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Re thievery:

Leave the curtains open.

Why not just leave it unlocked?

soldierman79: Kind of curious, can the cabin and your vehicle be seen from the highway?
I mean, over where I live (in the same general area) people are pretty skittish of crossing fence lines.
I think both thefts were probably committed by the same people and they must be on the property fairly regularly to see if anyone is there.

Unfortunately, I think they must live in the area, it's kind of deserted out there.

I will be leaving it unlocked from here on out. I agree that it is someone that lives out there, and I'm pretty sure I know who it is. After I discovered things were stolen last weekend, I had a very aggressive, one way conversation with that individual informing them of the consequences of trespassing and actions I will take if I find 'anyone' on my land again.

You can't see my vehicle from the county road, but you can see the cabin roof top.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#41]
It sucks,
We don't have those problems (so far) out where we live.

Although my neighbor is convinced that someone is stealing firewood from his place.

My neighbor has 25acs and has several outbuildings, tool sheds, air compressors, deer feeders all over the place,
Yet the only thing missing is some firewood.

He thought for a while that maybe he had some illegals camping out on the property,
But he checked his place and I checked mine and the only thing I found was evidence of deer, hogs and the like.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Down in Uvaled, illegals walking through used to break into the trailer and steal food and clothing.

We started leaving it open, along with food and stuff they would want on the outside. No more destruction problems at that point.

Yeah, it sucks, but it's better than finding your shit broken every time you went.

No problems any more tho. Too many high fences, lots of new neighbors.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Had another fun weekend at the cabin. Got the boys together for some shooting, hunting and some cowboy cooking. Great times had by everyone.

My son is the only one who actually shot any game!
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#44]
It's disgusting that people think they can come onto your property and help themselves to your stuff.

What's even more disturbing is there are people out there that defend these people, and brow beat you if you suggest you're going to protect your stuff with violence if needed.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Had another fun weekend at the cabin. Got the boys together for some shooting, hunting and some cowboy cooking. Great times had by everyone.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20130120_090500_zps708b4c93.jpg

You know that we need to know the specs on his gun.

Is that a knife on his hip?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/IMG_20130120_090500_zps708b4c93.jpg

You know that we need to know the specs on his gun.

Is that a knife on his hip?

I guess I did forget the important stuff.

Rifle is a Remington Model 597 .22 and the knife he's wearing is handmade by yours truly. Elk handle from a little 5x5 I shot in Colorado years ago, blade is a hand forged carbon steel blade and the guard is made of a Mexican Peso coin.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Building a cabin, making your own knives, son goes out and hunts dinner. Lots of win.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Building a cabin, making your own knives, son goes out and hunts dinner. Lots of win.

Thank you, Sir! The good Lord has dealt me a pretty fair hand.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, Sir! The good Lord has dealt me a pretty fair hand.

It would seem that you are playing it to the best of your ability.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top