Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#1]
That doesn't look like siding. Siding is usually tapered(thicker on one side than the other).

Looking nice either way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good work so far.

I am up the road in the Pipe Creek area.
(or is that down the road?)

Have you given any consideration to an evaporative cooler vs. an a/c unit since you are going solar?

Nice! Right up the road from me! Good to know good folks are close!

One of the guys that lives close to the property uses an evaporation cooler. It works ok for what it is. He still has to use his ac during the hot part of the day.
I may pick up one to cut down on energy consumption.

I am a city boy, my wife introduced me to them when we moved out here.
We put one in our enclosed back deck. I was pretty surprised how well they work.
It is NOT a/c, but it's not bad. On really hot days, you can add a bag of ice to the water.
My thought has always been in case the lights go out for good, we could run that with batteries and solar.

I also have found that working out in the summer heat and you get overheated,
if you stay out of the a/c and just sit under a covered deck with a cold lemonade or limeade, it is actually not that bad.
I have decided that a/c has ruined us. (and I LOVE a/c)

Have you membered up at the Bandera Gun Club?
I love that range.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome!Awesome!Awesome! you are doing great, dreaming it and then making it happen. Very happy for you. I think the vast majority of the best times in my life were spent on my grand fathers ranch near Kerville. Have a fun with the family and be sure to keep it forever!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That doesn't look like siding. Siding is usually tapered(thicker on one side than the other).

Looking nice either way.

It's not. It's just regular old 1 x 10's. Clapboard siding is rare as hens teeth around here. I sure wish i could have found some clapboard siding. It would have been much easier!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good work so far.

Have you given any consideration to an evaporative cooler vs. an a/c unit since you are going solar?

One of the guys that lives close to the property uses an evaporation cooler. It works ok for what it is. He still has to use his ac during the hot part of the day.

I am a city boy, my wife introduced me to them when we moved out here.
We put one in our enclosed back deck. I was pretty surprised how well they work.
It is NOT a/c, but it's not bad. On really hot days, you can add a bag of ice to the water.
My thought has always been in case the lights go out for good, we could run that with batteries and solar.

I also have found that working out in the summer heat and you get overheated,
if you stay out of the a/c and just sit under a covered deck with a cold lemonade or limeade, it is actually not that bad.
I have decided that a/c has ruined us. (and I LOVE a/c)

Have you membered up at the Bandera Gun Club?
I love that range.

I haven't yet, but I need to. I'm trying to keep the gunfire to a minimum, just to be considerate of the folks within earshot.
Thatks for the pointer!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
<snip>
I haven't yet, but I need to. I'm trying to keep the gunfire to a minimum, just to be considerate of the folks within earshot.
Thatks for the pointer!

Guns going off all the time over here.

My neighbor assures me his night time fire is getting rid of hogs.

ETA: we have been here for about 8yrs now.
We are still "those new people" to most everyone and probably will be till we die.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice work.   You are living my dream.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Awesome work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good work so far.

Doesn't an evap cooler require water supply, which will be short until he gets a well?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking good!

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice work!  I wish land and wide open spaces were available within BOL distance from me!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All four walls framed with cap done. You'll notice none of the windows or door have a header. I told y'all I was learning as I went. I went back and corrected that with treated 4 x 4's.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/100_3417.jpg

This area is full of rabbits, deer and hogs. I set up some feeders and within days had critters coming in pretty regularly.

Here's my son showing us his prowess with his Ruger Single Six .22lr. Those were good eating!
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/100_3443.jpg

Too late now but placing a header above openings without using jack studs to carry the load around the opening does not do much.  Not a big deal for a cabin I guess.

Cool set up though.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good work so far.

Doesn't an evap cooler require water supply, which will be short until he gets a well?

Yes.
before we had ours hooked to a water supply, we just poured water from a 5gal scepter to keep it filled.
and put a bag of ice in there on a really hot day.

We used to haul water from the local Shamrock station before our well.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also couldn't help myself anymore and started on the porch.

You won't regret it.  You'll appreciate having a nice level, straight work platform when you start the finish work for the inside.

Looks good!
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#16]
There I am putting away stuff for the day. I like the way the cedar trim aroud the windows looks against the pine siding.

The tall side of the cabin (downhill) siding is finaly complete. I still need to do the trim on the corners.
I'm gonna do the cedar trim on the corners the same way that I did with the windows.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Looking beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 12:02:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looking beautiful!

Thank you! I greatly appreciate all the well wishes from everyone! It's been physically and financially taxing but worth every minute.

That is the extent of the progress and pictures so far. I'll be out there again this weekend and will definitely snap some more pics of the progress.

An old Army buddy is coming to town to help work and do some hunting this weekend. We may spend more time catching up and hunting than being productive.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#19]
awesome job, it looks wonderful. I would love to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Tag for awesomeness!
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lol. I thought i'd be done months ago. It's going well for just weekends here and there. I should be complete in 2 months.
Land out here has been selling for $5,000 and acre. I found this parcel for quite a but less than that. As far as the cabin,
I thin i'll have $5,000 in it once complete...but we'll see.

that sounds like good land price, very tempting, do you have to pay tax every year for that?
anyway, great job, beautiful cabin
being a city guy, i don't think i can build something like that even if i buy a piece of land, most likely i will just buy 2 shipping containers and drop them there, save my back and steel construction makes me feel safer in such remote area :D

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 2:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. I thought i'd be done months ago. It's going well for just weekends here and there. I should be complete in 2 months.
Land out here has been selling for $5,000 and acre. I found this parcel for quite a but less than that. As far as the cabin,

that sounds like good land price, very tempting, do you have to pay tax every year for that?
being a city guy, i don't think i can build something like that even if i buy a piece of land, most likely i will just buy 2 shipping containers and drop them there, save my back and steel construction makes me feel safer in such remote area :D

My yearly taxes are around $550.

There are some pretty cool shipping container ideas out there! I thought about it but never committed.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we got taxes every year and eventually the tax man cometh around and adds the improvements.

If the OP is in Bandera Co. where I am, they basically tax decks and anything with a roof.
The buildings/decks are taxed on a SF basis, not what they cost basis.

and land is taxed at whatever "they" decide its worth and unfortunately around here,
land prices have been climbing steadily because people are pushing west of San Antonio.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, we got taxes every year and eventually the tax man cometh around and adds the improvements.

If the OP is in Bandera Co. where I am, they basically tax decks and anything with a roof.
The buildings/decks are taxed on a SF basis, not what they cost basis.

and land is taxed at whatever "they" decide its worth and unfortunately around here,
land prices have been climbing steadily because people are pushing west of San Antonio.

Could he or you slap some wheels and a dummy axle under it and call it a NON permanent structure?

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Any plans to add a roof over the porch?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Tag!
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice job!!!
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Outstanding work, Beautiful family, your very fortunate...I would like to build a BOL and you made it look easy. But I know it can be very difficult! It'a be Great when completed...
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#29]
nice job but I wish I had caught you about the headers and felt on the outside walls....

I am so jealous....you guys are going to love this so much more since it is your sweat and blood....keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive got the land now. 5 years or so we should start on our cabin. This will be a great thread for me to watch and see how you do and see what you would change.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 7:10:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any plans to add a roof over the porch?  

Yep. That'll be coming soon. Gonna finish the siding and the interior floors first.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Could he or you slap some wheels and a dummy axle under it and call it a NON permanent structure?

Probably not.

They tax mobile homes, wheels or no wheels.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 9:22:04 PM EDT
[#33]
This is a tag.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Great thread! Congrats OP, I hope to build something similar within a few years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#35]
ETA: Wrong thread, Too many tabs.

But congrats, this is very interesting.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Great thread and I would not worry too much about things not being too plumb or straight for a hunting/getaway weekender cabin.

One major SCREW-UP!!

Now that you have built a deck, work progress will slow down by at least 50% !!  

You will find yourself mornings and evenings relaxing and enjoying the view, conversing with friends, eating meals and just plain spending time soaking it all in.

I too have a little place and it is a "pay as I go project".

That being said, whenever I am up at the cabin I get half as much done as anticipated due to spending time on the deck,  doing the things talked about above with friends and family.

CONGRATS
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Great thread and I would not worry too much about things not being too plumb or straight for a hunting/getaway weekender cabin.
One major SCREW-UP!!
Now that you have built a deck, work progress will slow down by at least 50% !!   You will find yourself mornings and evenings relaxing and enjoying the view, conversing with friends, eating meals and just plain spending time soaking it all in.
I too have a little place and it is a "pay as I go project".
That being said, whenever I am up at the cabin I get half as much done as anticipated due to spending time on the deck,  doing the things talked about above with friends and family.
CONGRATS

Now that's the truth! My day starts off productive, hard work with an occasional beer break. But, as the day progresses, it turns into productive beer drinking with occasional work breaks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#40]
surplus water buffalo might be a cheap way to get a lot of water out there.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks great! Can't wait to have my own one day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Tag...Great thread about a cool getaway project.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#43]
i love your cabin by the way. i am definately thinking of doing something simular.

i was living in bosnia, in a plywood building approx, 16x24 or something like that, with 6 guys. We had a window unit for heat/ air, and it was snug and comfortable. I sat there one day thinking.

Hell i could build a pretty nice, very simple cabin like this, with bathroom, and simple kitchen, for maybe $5-10k. Why the hell do i need a $150,000 house?  I am still thinking about doing something simular when i buy my land. I am also thinking about one of the metal pole barns.

they have a model that looks a lot like a house. I was thinking of just getting the basic model, and add all the plumbing stuff i need, and pour a slab for it. then just move in, and upgrade with $$ as i get it, and have a damn paid for house. looking very attractive to me right now. plus the girlfriend i have, is a real country girl, she would be all for it.
there is one locally just like this, and it looks great.

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
All four walls framed with cap done. You'll notice none of the windows or door have a header. I told y'all I was learning as I went. I went back and corrected that with treated 4 x 4's.

Before I critique, I love what you have done.  Jealous does not begin to describe it.  But.....

You may have missed where someone else mentioned this, but if you have not finished the inside, it is not too late to fix.  I know it may not seem critical, but if you do not fix it before the interior walls go up, and a problem does arise, you will be kicking yourself big time later.  Right now, the only thing holding up the header and roof from putting pressure on the windows is nails or screws in sheer.  This is not the way it is meant to be done.

You should research cripple, jack and king studs.  When you did your headers, you simply added a larger piece of wood above the openings.  This only helps if you support that wood directly from the floor with studs called jack studs.

To fix what you have currently, I would add a king stud along side of your existing studs on each opening.  Then carefully cut the area of the existing stud above the opening out to make it a jack stud.  Replace the existing headers with extended headers to rest on the jack stud instead of the window and you will have properly supported openings.  

Search cripple stud on Google and the pics are good.  Hopefully this is helpful to you.  Drooopy
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before I critique, I love what you have done.  Jealous does not begin to describe it.  But.....

You may have missed where someone else mentioned this, but if you have not finished the inside, it is not too late to fix.  I know it may not seem critical, but if you do not fix it before the interior walls go up, and a problem does arise, you will be kicking yourself big time later.  Right now, the only thing holding up the header and roof from putting pressure on the windows is nails or screws in sheer.  This is not the way it is meant to be done.

You should research cripple, jack and king studs.  When you did your headers, you simply added a larger piece of wood above the openings.  This only helps if you support that wood directly from the floor with studs called jack studs.

To fix what you have currently, I would add a king stud along side of your existing studs on each opening.  Then carefully cut the area of the existing stud above the opening out to make it a jack stud.  Replace the existing headers with extended headers to rest on the jack stud instead of the window and you will have properly supported openings.  

Search cripple stud on Google and the pics are good.  Hopefully this is helpful to you.  Drooopy

Unfortunately this is the truth. Even without snow loads the weight of the roof will eventually depress the headerless door and window openings.
First indication will be sticking doors and windows.... second will be crushed/broken glass.

Better to do it now. Trying to jack up a ceiling and roof structure after the fact is not an easy task.
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 11:38:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately this is the truth. Even without snow loads the weight of the roof will eventually depress the headerless door and window openings.
First indication will be sticking doors and windows.... second will be crushed/broken glass.

Better to do it now. Trying to jack up a ceiling and roof structure after the fact is not an easy task.

I haven't finished the interior yet, so this is definitely do-able. I wouldn't want anything sagging on me in the future. Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Got a little more done on Saturday, but not much. Had a friend coming in from out of town so I had to leave early.

Got the AC framed in and siding just about finished.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I guess I'm a bit late with this, but you can apply construction adhesive (the big quart tubes) to the studs before applying the plywood sheathing and make the whol thing a very, very rigid shear wall. For a building that size it's not a lot of $ for adhesive. You can do the same on the interior as well.

Don't know if someone has answered this yet, but I don't care.

To properly shear nail, the nailing pattern is usually 6 inch on the sides and 10-12 in the field. This includes nailing into the upper and lower plates to lock the panel together. Glue might help fractionally but isn't necessary for shear wall. The nailing creates a "shear panel".

Its used on sub-floors to prevent squeaks from the movement of the nails/sub-floor that will come loose over time.

Link Posted: 12/16/2012 2:08:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I guess I'm a bit late with this, but you can apply construction adhesive (the big quart tubes) to the studs before applying the plywood sheathing and make the whol thing a very, very rigid shear wall. For a building that size it's not a lot of $ for adhesive. You can do the same on the interior as well.

Don't know if someone has answered this yet, but I don't care.
To properly shear nail, the nailing pattern is usually 6 inch on the sides and 10-12 in the field. This includes nailing into the upper and lower plates to lock the panel together. Glue might help fractionally but isn't necessary for shear wall. The nailing creates a "shear panel".
Its used on sub-floors to prevent squeaks from the movement of the nails/sub-floor that will come loose over time.

Glue is stronger than nails. A bead of quality construction adhesive down each stud is far stronger than nailing. The nails hold it while the glue cures.
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top