Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Posted: 12/10/2012 7:51:22 PM EDT
About a year and a half ago I found 10 acres between Hondo and Bandera, Tx that suited my family just fine. The price and timing was just right.  I have always dreamed of owning some land and building a cabin. I started working right away and I took some pictures and figured y'all would enjoy seeing the progress. If y'all have any question, comments or suggestions...feel free, I'm learning as I go.

The property has a decent hilltop midway through the property. This is the beginning of Texas hill country, so, lots of cedar.

Here's a view from the hilltop. That's my truck down there.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
A driveway was already there as well as a clearing about 100 yards from the road so it seemed like a good spot to build a little hunting/bol cabin.

You'll notice it is on a hillside, and it is really rocky. Welcome to the hill country! All the digging had to be done with a pick axe.

Here's the humble beginnings of a 16' x 16' cabin.

The 325gal cistern will eventually be for rainwater collection and hand pumped into the cabin. No electricity out there, eventually everything will be on solar, but for now it's all being built with a generator.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just begging for decking. 2 x 6's on 16" centers.

Decked with 3/4" treated plywood. I plan on going in with cedar hardwood flooring when the time comes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Tag.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Started framing up the walls. 2 x 4's on 16" centers. My wife(pictures soon ) was my only helper for the first several months of construction. That is one tough woman!

Another wall framed. That little window back yonder in the corner will be the restroom. Complete with composting toilet...eventually.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#6]
God I love that area. I roamed all over those hills around Tarpley as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:12:12 PM EDT
[#7]
All four walls framed with cap done. You'll notice none of the windows or door have a header. I told y'all I was learning as I went. I went back and corrected that with treated 4 x 4's.

This area is full of rabbits, deer and hogs. I set up some feeders and within days had critters coming in pretty regularly.

Here's my son showing us his prowess with his Ruger Single Six .22lr. Those were good eating!

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Since the cabin is only 16 x 16, I wanted to maximize the space as much as possible, so I planned for a steep roof to allow for a loft.
I never realized I was scared of heights until I was 28 feet off the ground trying to play construction guy.

Further proof that I married the most wonderful woman in the world, she was up there with me. This was by far the toughest task, for the both of us, to accomplish.
2 x 6's on 2' centers.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome job so far! Wish I had skills like that.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I couldn't decide on plywood decking or 2 x 4's to support the tin roofing. I went with the 2 x 4's, but if I ever had it to do over again, I think I will go with plywood.

It seemed no matter where I marked the boards, I cut them as crooked as hell anyways. I've said the phrase "close enough" more times than I care to admit.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Awesome job so far! Wish I had skills like that.

Thanks! My dad owned his own construction business. All growing up I had a hammer in my hand. I think I forgot a lot of it here though.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks great, should be a pretty awesome little hunting lodge.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I enjoy the evenings here most. After a long days work, i'd pop the top on a cold one, start a fire and cook a meal on those rocks.

try to find a flat spot among the rock, throw down a sleeping bag and count shooting stars til I fell asleep.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I am glad you added those other piers I admit I was kinda worried after the first few photos

must be nice not to have 6 foot frost lines
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All four walls framed with cap done. You'll notice none of the windows or door have a header. I told y'all I was learning as I went. I went back and corrected that with treated 4 x 4's.
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/100_3417.jpg

This area is full of rabbits, deer and hogs. I set up some feeders and within days had critters coming in pretty regularly.

Here's my son sowing us his prowess with his Ruger Single Six .22lr. Those were good eating!
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/100_3443.jpg

I love this picture!  All american!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am glad you added those other piers I admit I was kinda worried after the first few photos

must be nice not to have 6 foot frost lines

Lol. Me too! I didn't think it would hold up, so I added them.

I pick axed down to about 18-24" and hit solid rock. I figured it would do for footers and cemented the rest in.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/100_3417.jpg

Here's my son sowing us his prowess with his Ruger Single Six .22lr. Those were good eating!
http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss251/soldierman79/100_3443.jpg

I love this picture!  All american!

Thanks! I'm so proud of my son! He may have gone through a half a box of yellow jackets bringing those 2 home, but it was sooo worth it!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Couple question;

1) why 16 x 16, why not bigger - whats the layout? Since its you and your wife and kid, I would assume 2 bedrm

2) What are you doing about heating and insulation? Are you making provisions for wood stove or fireplace?

3) what is your solution for bathroom duties?

4) Any alternatives to the water situation?

5) Storage and security solutions?

6) I would look into LED lighting for the interior, last longer, fairly bright and very low power consumption.

7) Time line and Budget (if you want to disclose that)

Im sure Ill think of more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Here a pic of my wife working (maybe working on a tan in this pic). I went with corrugated tin for the roof. I like the rustic look of it.

And me getting in on some of the action. The trick to screwing in the tin was knowing when to back off the drill. I crumpled a few ridges before I finally go the feel for it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Couple question;

1) why 16 x 16, why not bigger - whats the layout? Since its you and your wife and kid, I would assume 2 bedrm

2) What are you doing about heating and insulation? Are you making provisions for wood stove or fireplace?

6) I would look into LED lighting for the interior, last longer, fairly bright and very low power consumption.

Im sure Ill think of more.

Great questions! I'll tackle them in order.

Main reason was, small is easy and somewhat inexpensive. Also continuity of the boards. 16foot continuous joists seemed stronger.
It'll be a bedroom in the loft and another downstairs as well as living area and restroom.

Heating will be with an old cast iron wood burning stove that I found on craigslist. I'm gonna go with the pink stuff for insulation on walls and roof.

Compost toilet with compost pile. Will be used for a garden in the future.

Yes, but quite expensive. Its solid rock and the shallowest well here is 550 feet. Deepest is 700. Thans gonna run me in the ballpark of $20,000, give or take.
I'll have one dug eventually, but it'll be rainwater for now.

I put in a gate at the county road. Although it didn't stop someone with bolt cutters a few months back from stealing my generator and some other items.
I'm not going to leave valuables out there anymore. Storage, I have a few ideas about that. We'll just say, mother nature provided a solution.

That's a great idea! I had researched that and it'll most probably be what I go with.

Lol. I thought i'd be done months ago. It's going well for just weekends here and there. I should be complete in 2 months.
Land out here has been selling for $5,000 and acre. I found this parcel for quite a but less than that. As far as the cabin,
I thin i'll have $5,000 in it once complete...but we'll see.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Framed in the ends.

Here I am in, what will eventually be, the loft.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Here she is with a tin cap. If you thought the overhang in the rear of the cabin is larger than the front, you are correct.

Somewhere along the line I decided to put on a front porch and a porch roof. That's the reasoning.

Here's a view from the back side. I was 2 pieces of tin short. Guess I can't math as good as I thunk.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Plenty of game on the trail cams. The hogs have practically taken over.

Although, there are still deer in the area.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I took a buddy out nite hunting and got this 200lb sow. Good eating!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#26]
You are doing a great job and the times you are gonna have with your family out there will be priceless.
And then, the times he will have with his kids. Great expenditure of resources in more ways than one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice!!!  Next year when I build my pole barn/ half as garage from logs on my property I will have to document it like you did with your cabin...
Pictures are great!!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice place but if I were you I would add wind beams to those rafters..
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I may do that. Can it be done from the underside?
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn I envy you
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Well done!  I about capped myself when I saw the cost of a water well down there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure, just mark the center line on the beam, use a plumb line and a level to mark a location line on the rafters. This will definately be a 2 person job....
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, we started putting up plywood...and of course we had to go with the theme, made it as crooked as possible.

Also couldn't help myself anymore and started on the porch.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sure, just mark the center line on the beam, use a plumb line and a level to mark a location line on the rafters. This will definately be a 2 person job....

That sounds like a plan. Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Here's my 2 kids being occasionally helpful. They are usually hiking through the woods...somewhere.

Here's the completed deck, and the majority of the plywood done.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Congrats, man!  Looks like you've been blessed many times over.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess I'm a bit late with this, but you can apply construction adhesive (the big quart tubes) to the studs before applying the plywood sheathing and make the whol thing a very, very rigid shear wall. For a building that size it's not a lot of $ for adhesive. You can do the same on the interior as well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Does Hondo still have the sign at the city limits saying "don't drive like Hell"?
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:05:43 AM EDT
[#39]
You Sir are living my dream
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 1:57:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Tagged for keeping the dream alive!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#41]
My wife and I are also looking at getting some land in the hill country. We have some friends that live in Lampasas and there are quite a few lots in the 10+ acre size available. Once I'm done over here our plan is buy 20 acres and put a house on it and get the hell out of the city!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Does Hondo still have the sign at the city limits saying "don't drive like Hell"?

Yes it does!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Fantastic job--I'm really digging this thread!

I see you let your boy carry the single six around with him...Trust me: These are memories that are going to stay with him forever.  Nice job, Dad!
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Fantastic job--I'm really digging this thread!

I see you let your boy carry the single six around with him...Trust me: These are memories that are going to stay with him forever.  Nice job, Dad!

+1
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I considered several options for siding, but eventually went with 1 x 10 pine clapboard siding.
A bit labor intensive but I really like the look of it. I'll probably just use a wood sealant and leave it natural wood.

I'm trimming out the windows with cedar.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm really looking forward to finishing the siding. It's been a long, tedious process.

The ac unit that's in there now would need a whole acre of solar panels just to run it, so I found another unit that uses less energy that i'll be installing soon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Good work so far.

I am up the road in the Pipe Creek area.
(or is that down the road?)

Have you given any consideration to an evaporative cooler vs. an a/c unit since you are going solar?

ETA: OP, are you in Bandera Co. or Medina Co.?

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Well done!  I about capped myself when I saw the cost of a water well down there.

Yep, it not be cheap.

and we found out that an estimate is just a starting figure.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Very nicely done so far, thank you for posting!  We have been talking about doing this for a while now and can't wait to find a spot and start getting set up.  TX is one of the areas we are considering, but we are having a hell of a time deciding where we want to end up when we leave South FL (hopefully within a year).  Looking forward to seeing how you progress.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good work so far.

I am up the road in the Pipe Creek area.
(or is that down the road?)

Have you given any consideration to an evaporative cooler vs. an a/c unit since you are going solar?

Nice! Right up the road from me! Good to know good folks are close!

One of the guys that lives close to the property uses an evaporation cooler. It works ok for what it is. He still has to use his ac during the hot part of the day.
I may pick up one to cut down on energy consumption.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top