Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2012 11:22:39 AM EDT
So I've been looking at the propane-generators website , I guess they also operate as US Carburetion. And I was looking at their kits and they are wanting near $250 for a kit which seems high to me, but I'm not familiar with these kits as far as product makeup and was wondering if there is a more economical way to build/buy by piecing the pieces together as it seems its just a big regulator that mounts to the gen and then it's installing a diffuser plate between the air intake and carb. And then a manual valve to control amount of flow of propane into regulator. Do any of you guys have a parts number list of off the shelf parts that comprise this kit ? I kind of parallel this as buying / building your first ar15
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
So I'm seeing the big regulator is a garretson 039-122 low pressure regulator , ZN series , and running average $50 online. Might try to see if wholesalers have it to save a few bucks. http://www.propanecarbs.com/garretson/garretson_kn_demand_regulator.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I put that kit on 2-3 (?) years ago.  Total cost was $258 with the extra long hose.

I feel it's worth it for my primary generator, because LP leaves NO residue in the carburator. I still run it with gas a couple times a year, just to make sure it'll still run. The monthly start-ups are mostly with the LP.

The 20-lb LP burns a little quicker than 5 gallons of gasoline...but the piece of mind of OPTIONS is worth it. (IMHO)

I keep 100 lbs in barbeque tanks as well as a 100 lb house tank from my oil guys. (I know...it ain't much)

The propane can also power the buddy heaters.

I'm still hunting for a diesel generator, but, I'm retiring soon, and want to open a giant whore-house / medical marijuana facility. So, I'll have to watch my scheckles a bit.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Great videos Desert!!!

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 1:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I'm seeing the big regulator is a garretson 039-122 low pressure regulator , ZN series , and running average $50 online. Might try to see if wholesalers have it to save a few bucks. http://www.propanecarbs.com/garretson/garretson_kn_demand_regulator.html

Yes.

It's in the LP Regulator link above
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Great videos Desert!!!

Coincidentally, I just stumbled on them yesterday while I was researching this exact question  

I don't think I'd use the air fittings for propane like the video shows.
I'd be worried about leaks.
That's why I posted the links to the propane QD fittings.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag - I drilled the carb and installed the propane tube on one of my EU2000i's last weekend.  Bought the regulator from the same source above and awaiting delivery of same.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Tag - I drilled the carb and installed the propane tube on one of my EU2000i's last weekend.  Bought the regulator from the same source above and awaiting delivery of same.  

Waiting for range report.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Added a couple of cell phone pics showing the propane / nat gas tube in place.  The epoxy I used was J-B Weld "Kwik", only because I already had some in the toolbox.  That stuff sets up in 4 minutes and I managed to get it all over everything.  The tube itself is a cut-down AN #4 flared steel tube I had laying around.  Cut off the flares and used the 90 degree bend to clear the Eco Servo Motor assy.  While I'm waiting for the Garretson Zero governor regulator, I put it all back together and everything still works as normal, with the Eco motor freely moving the butterfly in the carb to compensate for load changes.  

ETA:  RE: Garretson Zero governor regulator -  UPS just emailed a scheduled delivery of 10DEC2012, ordered and payed by PayPal 27NOV2012.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the avg price for the hose and reg that connects to the tank
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 1:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
ok, here it is...the cheap and dirty....and super dangerous.

had an old...old genset stored in the shed, tank rusted through...and my genny at the time went down, I needed the power ASAP to run some tools. I cut the end of a propane hose for the grill and stuck it in the inlet and fired the gen up, worked great. Had to run it at full load, if the load was varaible the genny would die. This method works, but be very careful....if the genny stalls, the propane is still flowing!

another cheaper option would be to buy a purpose built propane generator instead of spending $250-300 bucks to modify a gas generator that may have only cost $500
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Got temporarily side tracked from this project due to the bad weather.  Have most of the parts to complete.  More pics in a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top