Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2012 1:39:51 PM EDT
Does anyone here know anything about this model? There is a like new one for sale locally that has piqued my interest. I can find out the basic specs: 6500w, liquid cooled 2 cylinder diesel engine, sound enclosure, relatively quiet at 68.0 dBA, etc. It appears to be exactly what I am looking for. I am curious to know if it is a 1800 or 3600 rpm unit and any general knowledge or advice about them. It has been out of production for a while which may be a bad thing as far as support goes, but spares can be stocked up ahead of time.

A diesel generator has long been a thought in the back of my head. Watching the fuel availability situation in the NE after Sandy has re-affirmed to me the wisdom of having a primary means of backup power that relies on a fuel that is more economical, stores better/safer and is not as high in demand as gasoline. I would still have a back up gasoline generator with a tri fuel adapter for contingency/flexibility.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#1]
specs
Rated AC Output : 6,000 watts
Rated AC Current : 50 Amps @ 120 Volts, 25 Amps @ 240 Volts
Engine: 4-Stroke, OHV, Liquid Cooled, Twin Diesel, 12 HP @ 3,000 rpm
Fuel Tank Capacity : 5.0 gal (Continuous Operating Hours : 10.0)
Dry Weight : 526 lbs.
Noise Level (@ 23 ft) : 68 dBA

Found review

loaferoatan
by loaferoatan
one helluva unit!
May 27 '11
Pros: Reliable and efficient.
Cons: Price. Mobility

Summary: It's kinda pricey when compared to other diesel generators of the same output, put this is one helluva compact unit! Fuel economy is excellent! It's extremely quiet. Well built. Spend the extra money and get the wheel package, becayuse it is VERY heavy.

Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The odds are it is either a 3600 rom (which is not as big a deal as some here make of it) or a 2750 RPM version.  It is water cooled, which implies a commercial/industrial duty engine.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  If yo decide not to buy it call me, I am certainly looking for something like this for over night power and would be interested it buying it.

Ops
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:16:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Extra points for spelling "piqued" correctly.

A banner day on ARFCOM!!!!!!!

Please let us know the price.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Very little information in that unit on the 'net it seems, none on the yamaha-motors site. I swear I've seen an orange Kubota model that looked very much the same making me suspect it was perhaps a unit that was briefly OEMs by Kubota for Yamaha and then Yamaha droped it from their lineup. Kubota lists a GL6500S diesel generator in their prior products: http://www.kubota.com/priorproduct/pumpgen.aspx.

They do indeed look the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EDL6500S-500-watt-Electric-Start-Generator/dp/B000042O3G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.southeasternpower.com/glseries.htm

Kubota certainly supports prior models and makes top grade equipment, so if the price is right I'd go for it.

ETA: Water cooled makes for both quiet and for easy co-gen heat capture oportunities.
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very little information in that unit on the 'net it seems, none on the yamaha-motors site. I swear I've seen an orange Kubota model that looked very much the same making me suspect it was perhaps a unit that was briefly OEMs by Kubota for Yamaha and then Yamaha droped it from their lineup. Kubota lists a GL6500S diesel generator in their prior products: http://www.kubota.com/priorproduct/pumpgen.aspx.

They do indeed look the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EDL6500S-500-watt-Electric-Start-Generator/dp/B000042O3G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://www.southeasternpower.com/glseries.htm

Kubota certainly supports prior models and makes top grade equipment, so if the price is right I'd go for it.

ETA: Water cooled makes for both quiet and for easy co-gen heat capture oportunities.

Wow, AWESOME catch. I think you are correct, the Yamaha EDL6550s looks EXACTLY like a Kubota GL6500S. I'm sure the Yamaha is just a rebranded Kubota.

Price is $3450 obo for a 10 year old unit that is claimed to have never been ran and sat in a garage the whole time. It looks like it in the pictures. I'm thinking if I can pick it up for $2700-2800 it might be worth it.

Link Posted: 11/14/2012 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The odds are it is either a 3600 rom (which is not as big a deal as some here make of it) or a 2750 RPM version.  It is water cooled, which implies a commercial/industrial duty engine.  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  If yo decide not to buy it call me, I am certainly looking for something like this for over night power and would be interested it buying it.

Ops

As these are almost certainly rebranded Kubota, research shows the Kubotas to be 3600 rpm units.

While researching the Yamaha, I come across a CL ad for one in NY.  Proabably a little easier for you to get than one darn near on the beach of the Pacific ocean.

Generator Yamaha EDL6500S - $3600 (LaFayette, New York)
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ops

As these are almost certainly rebranded Kubota, research shows the Kubotas to be 3600 rpm units.

While researching the Yamaha, I come across a CL ad for one in NY.  Proabably a little easier for you to get than one darn near on the beach of the Pacific ocean.

3,600 RPM, but two cylinder, pressure lubed, water cooled, near indestructible units
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ops

Thanks, boom.

Ops
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
That is a heavy son of a gun. I had to load my generator today and am really glad it is only 220 lbs. At 500+ lbs, I'd have to get some guys here or bring a fork lift down here.

I do like the idea of a diesel. What is the fuel consumption compaired to a gasser Honda the same size?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top