Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2012 1:46:37 AM EDT
Call me old fashioned if you want, but I still like using good old matches, and strike anywhere matches are one of my favorites.
They are not monster storm matches like the big UCO ones, which are almost like flares, but the ability of not needing a striker is pretty handy and might be crucial in an emergency situation.
I started with the Blue diamond ones, the read headed ones with the white tip. I found that only the big ones were worth anything, the small ones are almsot useless.
Now I'm using Swan Vestas which I like a lot, the entire head is strike anywhere and they ignite on most surfaces. I already have a drawer half full of Vestas.
The ony problem I find is that the wood in the match is still pretty sensible to water.
I remember many years ago during a trip across Patagonia, I found a little outpost in Neuquen that sold strike anywhere matches that used rolled waxed paper instead of wood. Man! Those were great matches, and the rolled waxed paper lasted long and was resistant to humidity. Anyone knows of a brand that makes similar matches? What's your favorite match?
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:01:10 AM EDT
[#1]
blue diamond, but I use a water proof case and not a crappy paper box

for camping, you can dip them in wax/lacquer

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I picked up 10 large boxes of blue diamond, put them in plastic bags and stored them in a plastic case on a shelf in the work shop along with  
an old zippo, flints, few bottles of fluid in another box and a dozen $1 lighters

Pulled out a box the other day to burn some trash and they no longer strike anywhere and barely strike on the box..
more made in china crap that fails to work when needed as designed and functioned for 200 years..
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 4:44:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The Blue Diamonds of today are not the Blue Diamonds we grew up with.

The company has been forced to make them less sensitive over the years.
They don't work worth a crap anymore.

It seems like 8 times out of 10 I have to use a bic to light the match in cases where I don't want to stick the bic into whatever I am lighting.

They do strike on the box pretty good, but that defeats the whole "strike anywhere" thing.

ETA: I have read there is a good strike anywhere match from Mexico, but I have been unable to find any here.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The Blue Diamonds of today are not the Blue Diamonds we grew up with.

The company has been forced to make them less sensitive over the years.

They don't work worth a crap anymore.

It seems like 8 times out of 10 I have to use a bic to light the match in cases where I don't want to stick the bic into whatever I am lighting.

They do strike on the box pretty good, but that defeats the whole "strike anywhere" thing.

ETA: I have read there is a good strike anywhere match from Mexico, but I have been unable to find any here.

This. New blue diamond matches suck bad.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The strike on box are even worse. I bought the pack of 10 boxes to keep around the house and tried using them to start my BBQ. The heads will strike and burn, then snuff out. Like they're using green wood or something.

I went through a whole matchbox before I gave up, went in the house and got my propane torch.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
meth heads screwing up our phosphor
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Well guys, if you can get these Swan Vestas, they are strike anywhere matches made in Sweden. They are pretty good.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 3:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I noticed Red diamond matches are now green, and appear to have more in the same box (300 vs 250)

I had zero issues with the older red ones (purchased in  the last year).  The green ones seem to have less "head" to them, but still strike on each other, against concrete, rock, etc.

This is for kitchen matches.  I've never like the small wood matches
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The Diamond brand green tip strike anywhere are good only if you have a rough surface like a rock, brick, or the box to strike them on.  I take them backpacking, carry them in a mil waterproof container, and hell half the time they won't even strike on the bottom of the container.  I have cussed them more than once, and ended up using my lighter.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
ohio blue tip was my immediate thought.  Mid 80's manufacture... Pisgah Forest rainy season experience...

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I love the strike anywhere Ohio Blue Tips, BUT a word of warning.  If you put them in a waterproof container like one of those little cylindrical "boxes" put a wad of tissue/toilet paper in there first to pad the tips.  Those heads will light if struck on something.  If they get banged hard they'll ignite and ingniting in a water tight case will cause the case to burst.  I knew a guy that had that happen to him.  He was carrying it in his front pocket when it went off "like a small grenade" (his words).  He got a pretty severe burn on his thigh and sensitive areas.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well guys, if you can get these Swan Vestas, they are strike anywhere matches made in Sweden. They are pretty good.
FerFAL

probably banned by the EPA or one of the other 68 recomended Federal Regulations done in the last 90 days by Obummer
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
FerFAL

Is this them?
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
FerFAL

Is this them?

yup thats them
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
FerFAL

Is this them?

Yes, that's it. Those seem longer though. Exact same box but the ones I have are shorter, adn go along the other side in the box, across. The longer stick seems more pratical, I'll look and see  if I find them here.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FerFAL

Is this them?

Yes, that's it. Those seem longer though. Exact same box but the ones I have are shorter, adn go along the other side in the box, across. The longer stick seems more pratical, I'll look and see  if I find them here.
FerFAL

These don't look like they are strike anywhere matches - maybe I am just missing it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top