Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/1/2012 5:24:55 PM EDT
I just love these things!

This one has a hand blown font. You can tell from the collar patina it's old.

The burner is a replacement, but made in the USA. The frosted chimney is a nice touch for quality light. The 1/2" flat wick is huge for the petite burner.

The big bummer is the chimney cracked when we got it going.....This is not uncommon for this size of chimney with a 1/2" wick. The heat was too much. No matter. I'll buy a slightly bigger chimney. More space around the wick. I can get it from Lehmans.

We paid $3. We got a neat little Hong Kong round wick for $3 too, but its more decorative.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
These oil lamps are like crack.

I picked up three more fonts and burners for $3. A frosted chimney for $.50. All at a yard sale. I'll post pics of my insanity later.

The burners on two of them are rusted brass coated steel. Bad enough to look like hell, but they work great! One just plain looks old. I had two other chimneys already. They are only $4 at the amish store.

Now we have 3 oil lamps we can give away or keep if we need them. Extra usable supplies on the super cheap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
These oil lamps are like crack flashlights.

I

FIFY

Cool ligts -  I still need to find a real nice one for CarbineMom  
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Know what you mean, we keep an eye out for them as well. SWMBO got some neat little ones off ebay a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
OP you need to let us in on this flea market, first the Yugo M48, now oil lamps
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
crappy picture time!

This picture represents about $7 total investment. The three fonts and burners and the frosted chimney cost $3.50. The extra chimney cost me around $3 - $4, but I had it on hand. I know I already have another one somewhere.

You can see from this picture why I want to buy more frosted chimneys. The light is very soft and easy on the eyes.

This was the nastiest, rustiest of the bunch. The other two came out looking very nice. This one looks like it belongs in the garage....They all work flawlessly. It took an hour of scrubbing to get them all cleaned up. No need to buy new burners.

The lamps were made by Lamplight Farms.

I should mention that these are probably 1960's vintage and made in Hong Kong and they are far better quality than current Walmart versions. These are brass plated steel and they are threaded into the collar that threads onto the glass. This is a sure sign they are not antique, but they are very good burners.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP you need to let us in on this flea market, first the Yugo M48, now oil lamps

I got the small lamp in the OP about 20 mins before the Mauser. Both great deals, although the chimney I ordered probably won't fit the burner. I have to find one online. I bought a 1 5/8" base chimney today for $.50 and it doesn't fit. The one I have coming is the same size.......

I might have to buy a burner for the chimneys.

These lamps are from a yard sale.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have about 30...I might be addicted....but I can handle it.

Have one large galvanized one with double wicks!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have about 30...I might be addicted....but I can handle it.

Have one large galvanized one with double wicks!!

If I see one of those at a sale or flea market I'll buy it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent some money on the little one in the OP. It has a wierd sized burner that takes a 1 1/2" base chimney. I thought the 1 5/8" chimney would fit. I ordered it from oillampparts.com for $8 with shipping. I bought another one before this one arrived today for $.50 at the yard sale. I was very bummed to find it won't fit at all.

Instead of ordering a new 1 1/2" chimney for $17 + $5 shipping I ordered a new burner to take the two 1 5/8" chimneys I have for $13 shipped.

Now my $3 lamp has $21 in new parts and a spare chimney.....Oops!

Is it worth $24 if I tried to sell it? Maybe, but it's a great addition to a functional, useful collection.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The one on the left cost $1.50. The one on the right cost $11 with the new chimney.

The new burner I ordered and the $.50 chimney will find a new home on another font some day soon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
We buy them whenever we can find a good deal too.

One of our favorites we got at auction, a pair of galvanized ones for $5 (for the pair). We think they are neat. They leak , so they are just decorative now.

I also have a neat little 'night light' model that hangs on the wall. Takes a 1/8" round wick. Only stands about 3 inches high....

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One of our favorites we got at auction, a pair of galvanized ones for $5 (for the pair). We think they are neat. They leak , so they are just decorative now.

I also have a neat little 'night light' model that hangs on the wall. Takes a 1/8" round wick. Only stands about 3 inches high....

Leahmans sells a great little Czech made wall hanger that is my favorite. It lights the whole room like a 40 watt bulb. The built in reflector works great.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Leahmans sells a great little Czech made wall hanger that is my favorite. It lights the whole room like a 40 watt bulb. The built in reflector works great.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#14]
A couple of these things in the bedroom on a cold winter night do a really good job heating the room, too.   I love these old lamps.  My oldest that I have in my collection has a burner collar dated 1864.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got back from the church rim age sale.

Got a Dietz number 100 for $3.00!!

Did they come with a red globe or someone replace it??
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got back from the church rim age sale.

Got a Dietz number 100 for $3.00!!

Did they come with a red globe or someone replace it??

It might have come with it, but they are super easy to replace. WTKirkman.com

If the glass looks old I would hold onto it. The newer replacement glass is not as good as the old ones, but they work just fine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#17]
The one on the left is the finger lamp in the OP.

The one on the right we bought for $25 at a very nice antique shop in Chardon Ohio. The burner has a patent date from 1883. The font is atleast that old. The chimney is American made. There are no new oil lamps of this quality that I have seen. What an outstanding example of a size #1 burner lamp.

Most of the lamps we buy are the #1 size burners with 5/8" wicks. #2 is the most common size with 7/8" wicks. That little lamp is a nutmeg or arctic gem burner with 1/2" wick.

We both prefer the size and light output of the #1 size burners with smaller fonts so gravity does not effect the burn and wick life as much.

Yes. We do have a problem...
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I think I am about to solve an issue I had with a few of my oil lamps. It may prompt me to do a thread on that particular issue. I'll investigate more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#19]

18 lamps in this picture if you count the one without a chimney hiding in the back.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/batmanacw/gear/007.jpg

18 lamps in this picture if you count the one without a chimney hiding in the back.

If you rub that lamp out front on the right will a genie pop out?
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but it has a very good quality burner on it. My wife loved it and its useful. I think it is probably close to turn of the century.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You are rapidly catching up with your single cell flashlight picture from a few years ago.

ETA:  And now I am looking at places on my walls to hang those Czech ones.  Gosh darn it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No but it has a very good quality burner on it. My wife loved it and its useful. I think it is probably close to turn of the century.

Here are one of each lamps we bought pairs of on ebay. I am tired so that may not make sense. We bought them as a pair, two white and two clear. Anyways, they are pretty darned small for lamps! We have a big ones, similar to one on the far left and on the back right in your photo. I think the genie lamp is cool, just didn't want you to think I was busting your chops or anything! Sorry for the cruddy cell photo, I may get a better one with a real camera tomorrow.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here are one of each lamps we bought pairs of on ebay. I am tired so that may not make sense. We bought them as a pair, two white and two clear. Anyways, they are pretty darned small for lamps! We have a big ones, similar to one on the far left and on the back right in your photo. I think the genie lamp is cool, just didn't want you to think I was busting your chops or anything! Sorry for the cruddy cell photo, I may get a better one with a real camera tomorrow.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5w3KpTP0z4I/UE0v81sECJI/AAAAAAAABsw/4VAjaTerBNo/s640/image%2520%25282%2529.jpg

no offense taken.

Those little lamps are kind of like a candle, but they have a much more steady flame. They light up the room plenty for navigation and enough for most light duty tasks once you eyes adjust to the light levels.

I am always looking for quality finger lamps. They are bright and don't take up much space.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I just learned something about old glass. If it is pressed glass made between 1860 and 1915 it has manganese in it. The glass will turn purple if exposed to the sun over time. The color change is not a good thing from a collectors standpoint, but it is confirmation its old.

The lamp on the right in this picture has that tint.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:12:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Does the frosted glass give better lighting versus a clear one?
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:20:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does the frosted glass give better lighting versus a clear one?

Yes, Much nicer light. Less harsh on the eyes. Better over all.

The funny thing is that I like the visible flame just as much. Quality burners with good fitting chimneys have a dead steady flame. No flicker at all. The flame just looks cool.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What size chimney do you need? And measured where, across the base?

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 9:08:14 AM EDT
[#29]

I have one very much like the one on the right, as far as size and shape. The base portion of it is red, the font itself is clear. It appears to be pretty old, but not sure how I could tell the date...

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I have one very much like the one on the right, as far as size and shape. The base portion of it is red, the font itself is clear. It appears to be pretty old, but not sure how I could tell the date...

I sent you my email address in a IM. Shoot me a picture if you want. I'll send you pictures of old collars.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size chimney do you need? And measured where, across the base?

1 1/2" across the base. I think I have my issue solved though. If you have one I would be happy to buy it off you.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Pro oil lamp tip of the day!

Your wick should be trimmed and not charred if the lamp is used correctly. Your wick can burn for days without any charring at all. Most charring of the wick is a result of the gravity fighting the wicking action. Keeping the font full helps to keep the wick healthy.

When you light the lamp start with the wick the same height as the wick guide.

Once you light it and put the chimney back on, then raise the wick if necessary after it starts to burn. Check the flame height after the chimney heats up because the flame height will increase as the hot air rises faster. I almost never run my wick higher than a tiny bit above the wick guide. It really depends on the burner.

If you follow these instructions and the flame height is very low try lowering until the flame is very low and then raising the wick higher. If the flame height raises and then drops again as you raise the wick it means the airflow is too restricted. I had this happen to me several times. It could be an ill fitting chimney or the inside of your burner needs cleaned thoroughly to improve airflow.

My little finger lamp in the OP suffered from a very limited flame height due to air flow issues due to the very tight fit of my new chimney. I was able to raise the chimney until more air could move through and it worked much, much better. Now I know I need a smaller diameter base chimney to make it work correctly without playing with it.

I know most of you may never remember this information so don't hesitate to IM me questions. Play with your oil lamps now to learn how they work before you need them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#33]
How to tell if an oil lamp is old:

This picture is of a 1883 vintage burner on the lamp posted about earlier with the "sun purple" glass. The old ones are all brass. I have bought brass plated steel burner lamps for super cheap, but the brass is a mark of quality and age.

This is a picture of the top of the burner where it opens for cleaning, which was necessary for lamps that were used every day. Any quality burner will have this. Some are made with a snap open top, but those all seem to be newer. Notice how the wick looks. That has burned for at least 20 hours since we bought it. The fuel is burning, not the wick.

This is a picture of the knob. It's easier to see in the picture than in real life. I know the burner was made after 1883, but it was probably pretty close to that date.

This is a picture of the bottom of the burner and the collar. There is a slight crack in the collar that will not affect it at all. That collar is glued on with white cement of some sort. The neck is rough underneath the collar because of the way they parted the piece after blowing. There are newer lamps with cemented on collars, but the threaded glass fonts are newer. I am not sure if they are even considered antique yet.

The reason this is important is the quality that made them last is what you want when you need them for light. We have 7 lamps that are 1880's or 90's. We have some made in the 1960's to 80's that are well designed and will work just fine. Even crap walmart lamps work. I just like that we burn lamps that are 130+ years old on a daily basis. This is gear that is made to rely on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:23:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Your thread was an omen Bat.

My brother informed me yesterday, my niece is sending me an antique lamp she had I admired.

Tj

Cool! Pictures would be great when you get it.

We sure like our guns and tacticool gear on this sight. I have my thousands of rounds of ammunition and guns for the whole neighborhood and then some.

If we really believe in long term survival, its the mundane things, done well, that make our survival not only possible, but give us the chance to thrive.

For me, these lamps remind me of simpler times and how great life can be even if we end up like their original owners for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 8:20:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#37]
one of the limiting factors on flame size and height seems to be the chimney bulge around the flame.

I got my new arctic gem burner in to fit my $.50 chimney and the flame is much nicer and higher while burning clean. It looks nicer too. This is the same lamp in the OP. Just with a slightly different burner and much bigger chimney.

Link Posted: 9/13/2012 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#38]
It really doesn't end.....

This one looked like crap and cost $24 at the antique shop. It's probably pre-1900. eagle burner with an adapter because the burner is bigger than the original. It was probably changed pre 1900. It cleaned up perfectly. Now I think its one of my favorites.

I didn't take pictures of the original Dietz yet. It needs new glass.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Nice! I hadn't seen an adapter for those before. Where'd you get it?
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The adapter came with it. The patina was the same on the burner do it must have been pretty early as well. I'll try to remember to take a picture later.
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#41]
I just gave my neighbor 6 oil lamps. My grandma had a large collection and I have been sharing them with people that I know who will appreciate them. There are still quite a few left, but I am running out of people who are interested in them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 3:42:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just gave my neighbor 6 oil lamps. My grandma had a large collection and I have been sharing them with people that I know who will appreciate them. There are still quite a few left, but I am running out of people who are interested in them.

If they are old and are possibly all original I might buy a few. I need good pictures.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Pm me your email and I will send you some pictures.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:08:52 AM EDT
[#44]
We need a tacked lamp thread and a tacked heater thread. This is valuable information that keeps getting lost due to low post volume. I was  dodging through the archives trying to find the thread from last season. Is there any way to distill the info into a new thread and tack it?
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This is the adapter screwed into a 7/8" collar.

I never new before what they were.
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#46]
This thread and the one by Waldo and his trip to Lehmans motivated me to pick up my first oil lamp.

Got this for $7 at the local flea market.  Don't know if I did good or not but it seems to function well.

Chimney seem a little small?

Does the flame look to be adjusted correctly?

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#47]
New Dietz blizzard courtesy  of Waldo and his Lehman's trip, on our weekend trip to the Cranberry Wilderness.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This thread and the one by Waldo and his trip to Lehmans motivated me to pick up my first oil lamp.

Got this for $7 at the local flea market.  Don't know if I did good or not but it seems to function well.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/a.jpg" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/a.jpg</a>

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/b.jpg" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/b.jpg</a>

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/c.jpg" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/c.jpg</a>

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/d.jpg" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/Rsng5/d.jpg</a>

I would have bought that in a heartbeat. It is probably early 1900's. The chimney looks small, but it will work fine. You can easily order inexpensive replacements on line. The flame height is perfect. The burner is top notch.

Great buy!
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would have bought that in a heartbeat. It is probably early 1900's. The chimney looks small, but it will work fine. You can easily order inexpensive replacements on line. The flame height is perfect. The burner is top notch.

Great buy!

Thanks! That is good to hear.
There were a couple others there but not in nearly as good of shape and thay all seemed to have the same problems, that being the wick adjustment seemed to be either seized and would not turn or totally free wheeling and the wick would not move when turning.

Link Posted: 9/17/2012 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great buy!

Thanks! That is good to hear.
There were a couple others there but not in nearly as good of shape and thay all seemed to have the same problems, that being the wick adjustment seemed to be either seized and would not turn or totally free wheeling and the wick would not move when turning.

I know it sounds funny, but the seized ones are good to go most of the time. It means the pawl on the wick height adjuster is still intact. If the wick seems seized, try pulling down on the wick while you turn the adjuster. It will usually come right out, even if pretty tight. If the adjuster spins freely then you have to pull the wick out to see if the wick adjuster is junk. If it is don't bother unless you don't mind buying a new burner.

Look for straightness and over all structure of the burner.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top