Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2012 8:49:09 PM EDT
When cleaning out the garage this evening I found a Kero-Sun Model K single burner kerosene cookstove that I haven't used in 20+ years.  Since it still had some kerosene in it from 20+ years ago I thought I'd try and light it to see if the scene in the Rambo movie where Sly finds an old can of kerosene in a mine and makes a torch out of it was reality based or just fiction.  Amazingly, it lit right up for me just like it did for Sly!
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When cleaning out the garage this evening I found a Kero-Sun Model K single burner kerosene cookstove that I haven't used in 20+ years.  Since it still had some kerosene in it from 20+ years ago I thought I'd try and light it to see if the scene in the Rambo movie where Sly finds an old can of kerosene in a mine and makes a torch out of it was reality based or just fiction.  Amazingly, it lit right up for me just like it did for Sly!

Why would it not?
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Kerosene doesn't go bad unless it's contaminated.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it not?

Well...............the kerosene is probably closer to 30 years old, and for many of those years the stove was stored in an unheated garage in the northern Rockies where it gets down to 30 below zero for a few weeks every winter, plus the wick was open to the air all that time.   So I was surprised.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would it not?

Well...............the kerosene is probably closer to 30 years old, and for many of those years the stove was stored in an unheated garage in the northern Rockies where it gets down to 30 below zero for a few weeks every winter, plus the wick was open to the air all that time.   So I was surprised.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#5]
that's good to know...
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:53:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Surely it had Stabil in it...

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#7]
How close is diesel to kerosene? Could similar results be expected from diesel?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#8]
OP, would you say that the stove and fuel functioned at what you would deem 100%, or was there some degree of diminishment of performance?
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

How close is diesel to kerosene? Could similar results be expected from diesel?

The additives in diesel cause it to mold over the years. Stored properly, with no exposure to oxygen and with the proper treatments, it should last a LONG time. I'm thinking (more like guessing) 20 years.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard over and over how kerosene wont store for more than a couple of years, and will go bad like gas. I'm glad to hear this isn't the case

My own experience was lighting a kerosene heater that still had fuel in it, which had been sitting for over 15 years. Lit just fine.

I've also read that Coleman fuel goes bad after a year, however I've bought several lanterns and stoves that had fuel sitting in them for 10+ years and still burned just fine.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Kerosene can be used in place of diesel fuel in most all diesel engines. In the winter to prevent fuel from gelling up add about 5 gallons of kerosene to you diesel pickup and no more trouble. Instead of storing diesel I am laying in #1 kerosene. Works great in my pickup, lawn mower and my diesel tractor. I have used 60 gallons with no problem and that is running it straight not mixing.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it still good after being stored in red plastic gas cans for 15 years?  (and turned red from bleaching the dye from the plastic)?

Inquiring minds want to know.  I won't say why I'm asking...

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
should beI would think
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Good to hear.  We used to always burn kerosene for heat but went through it so fast that it never sat around long enough to see a shelf-life.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Did that guy say he uses Kerosene straight up in his lawn mower ?? I bet he changes plugs more often at least . Seems like that would cause early head gasket failure or something ???
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:48:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Did that guy say he uses Kerosene straight up in his lawn mower ?? I bet he changes plugs more often at least . Seems like that would cause early head gasket failure or something ???

Diesel lawn tractor or zero turn I would assume.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Kerosene can be used in place of diesel fuel in most all diesel engines. In the winter to prevent fuel from gelling up add about 5 gallons of kerosene to you diesel pickup and no more trouble. Instead of storing diesel I am laying in #1 kerosene. Works great in my pickup, lawn mower and my diesel tractor. I have used 60 gallons with no problem and that is running it straight not mixing.

You really need to add some cetane booster or some oil at a minimum or you are going to burn out the injector pump.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 6:35:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP, would you say that the stove and fuel functioned at what you would deem 100%, or was there some degree of diminishment of performance?

The stove with the old kerosene burned hot enough to boil water.  However, when I poured out the old kerosene it was brownish instead of clear. When I filled the stove with new kerosene it did burn better/hotter, so the old kerosene's performance was dimished to some degree.  But...it was still good enough to boil water and cook food.

Link Posted: 6/15/2012 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The stove with the old kerosene burned hot enough to boil water.  However, when I poured out the old kerosene it was brownish instead of clear. When I filled the stove with new kerosene it did burn better/hotter, so the old kerosene's performance was dimished to some degree.  But...it was still good enough to boil water and cook food.

Thanks for the follow up. I was curious about that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've heard over and over how kerosene wont store for more than a couple of years, and will go bad like gas. I'm glad to hear this isn't the case

My own experience was lighting a kerosene heater that still had fuel in it, which had been sitting for over 15 years. Lit just fine.

I've also read that Coleman fuel goes bad after a year, however I've bought several lanterns and stoves that had fuel sitting in them for 10+ years and still burned just fine.

My experiences are similar, I have used lots of old coleman, kerosene, gasoline and diesel.

However, just because it burns does NOT mean it is fine.
It is the varnish build-up, etc. that is the problem.

For example:
I have a kerosene lantern I bought that was filled with kerosene of an unknown age and grade.
First time I fired it up, it ran fine.
Second and third times I fired it up, I noticed that it did not seem as bright and it seemed to flicker.
Fourth time, the mantle began to accumulate a black soot and the light was definately flickering.

I added some fresh kerosene, ran it an hour, no difference.

I added a couple of capfuls of fuel injector cleaner.....
Within 20mins, no more flicker, mantle is clean and it runs better than ever.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top