Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2012 11:36:24 AM EDT
Goofy question but whenever I go lone backpacking in the middle of no where I usually have my keys on me plus a spare key in a different part of my gear just in case.  It would kind of suck to get locked out in the middle of no where.

So I'm looking at new cars and a lot of them have the push botton start with a remote sensor.  What if you loose that on a hike, what would you do?  You could do an On Star like thing I think but could they reach you if you are in the middle of where?  Also if you don't have On Star you could subscribe right then and there but that would require cell phone coverage.

What's the answer?  Just don't loose your keys by God.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Goofy question but whenever I go lone backpacking in the middle of no where I usually have my keys on me plus a spare key in a different part of my gear just in case.  It would kind of suck to get locked out in the middle of no where.

So I'm looking at new cars and a lot of them have the push botton start with a remote sensor.  What if you loose that on a hike, what would you do?  You could do an On Star like thing I think but could they reach you if you are in the middle of where?  Also if you don't have On Star you could subscribe right then and there but that would require cell phone coverage.

I locked my keys in my ONCE about 30 years ago.  Ever since then I have carried two keys.  I have On-Star on my current truck.  I believe it uses CDMA cell technology.  So if you don't have service that's that.  If I am stuck in nowhere w/ my keys in the truck and no cell service, I'd go old school, and grab a rock.

ETA: Could just get one of those hide-a-key things and trust no one finds it while you're out.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha!!  Hilarious.

Well, it happens!

Make the best off it, naturally.

Here's my son.  Locked em in the pickup while he was elk scouting.  Finished his hike and then decided just to walk the 9 miles home thru the mountains.  Pistolled 2 grouse on the way so it all turned out just fine!  

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
the answer is still "keep a spare".  You can add more transmitters to the system besides the two that come with the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The new cars with the pushbutton start can not have a fob hidden under the car because it will always think the owner is present and anybody can open and start the car.
You don't have to push any buttons on the fob with new cars, you can just leave it in your pocket.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
put key in zip lock and bury under a rock near car
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an ’05 Grand Cherokee with the security chip in the remote keyfob.  I went to Home Depot and had another key made.  The clerk cautioned that it would not start the car because it didn’t have the security chip, and she was right.  But I don’t need it to start the car, I just need it to open the door.

I used a small screw and nut to attach the key to an old hard drive magnet and hid it up underneath.  Now, if I lock my key in the car I merely retrieve the key and open the door.  The HDD magnet is super strong and the key will not fall off, in fact it’s very hard to pull it off.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If all you have to do is open the door, take an old credit card and do this:

Plastic Key

The cc has enough rigidity for you to twist the plastic to unlock the door.  Just make sure your key cuts (teeth) are the same.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#9]
2 options.
1) pop the back window of my truck open with a welding rod kept in the bed.
2) Bust window with rock.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Pro-Tips:

The smallest window is probably not the cheapest window to replace.

if you resort to breaking a window; do it on the passenger side.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Plastic Key

The cc has enough rigidity for you to twist the plastic to unlock the door.  Just make sure your key cuts (teeth) are the same.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/243880/fullsize/key-card.jpg

Local home improvement stores used to sell these. IIRC the plastic was messing up the cutting machines and they stopped making them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plastic Key

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/243880/fullsize/key-card.jpg

Local home improvement stores used to sell these. IIRC the plastic was messing up the cutting machines and they stopped making them.

AAA used to make them for free as well. Do not know if they still do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Remove license plate, duct tape a spare key to rear of plate.  Replace plate.  So long as you have a dime in your pocket, plate can be removed and access spare key.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a door key I carry in my wallet.  I'm not going to lose the ignition key.  If I need in, it's because the ignition key is locked inside
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The last thing I do before I shut my door is to check my pocket to make sure my keys are in said pocket. And yes I have locked them in my vechile a couple of times over 30 years, that's whay the last thing I do before shutting the door is to check my pocket.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Hide a key.

I have nothing new enough to have the non-key technology, and probably won't for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Where to put your keys at 5:35
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I keep a spare non-chip key in my wallet. It won't start the car, but it will unlock it.

Years ago I used to lace a spare key onto my boot-never had to use it though It was stowed under the laces between the tongue and the eyelets, so it was out of sight and secure.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]
WOW!  All this talk about electroninc keys with proximity sensors/chips and not one mentin yet of an EMP.  What has this forum come to?  

Back on topic...I carry spares in different pockets, wallet, hide-a-key, etc.  All of my eggs are not in one basket.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 2:19:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I use something like this on our Nissans. They have been working great, but I should probably replace the batteries in them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 3:00:24 AM EDT
[#21]
use the keyless entry or my iphone to get into my truck

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#23]
On older cars just keep a spare secured somewhere on your vehicle.  I've done the key hiding thing and stashed my keys somewhere near the truck (usually when I was going trail running) and I've also stashed the main keys in the truck then carried the valet key clipped in my pack.  No onstar for me; never had, never will.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#24]
To the OP's question-
My Outlander Sport has keyless start/lock & the proximty sensor will NOT let you lock the key fob inside the car......  There is a metalic key that you could hide out to get you inside if you lose the fob somewhere.
It helps, but there is no perfect solution to being stupid..
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
To the OP's question-
My Outlander Sport has keyless start/lock & the proximty sensor will NOT let you lock the key fob inside the car......  There is a metalic key that you could hide out to get you inside if you lose the fob somewhere.
It helps, but there is no perfect solution to being stupid..

It doesn't take being stupid to lock yourself out of your car- everything from thinking the other person with you has the keys to having a boating accident (tipping a canoes over and getting separated from it), to having your clothes rip or them fall out of your pocket while seated to simply dropping them while shuffling stuff in your pack (ever let a kid go through your stuff?  They'll make a mess of everything).  I'd say it's a legitimate concern, particularly for the outdoor crowd.  There's always those hitch safe type things too and I've even seen where a guy mounted one of those Master Lock wall-mounted key storage boxes discreetly on his truck.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The new cars with the pushbutton start can not have a fob hidden under the car because it will always think the owner is present and anybody can open and start the car.
You don't have to push any buttons on the fob with new cars, you can just leave it in your pocket.

Wrap it in aluminum foil/seal it in a mylar bag.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#27]
My F150 has a keypad on the outside that uses a 4 digit code to lock/unlock the doors. No worries of locking my keys in the truck.

In fact a lot of times I lock them in there (hidden of course) on purpose so I do not have to carry them, mostly at work & I have full view of it all day inside the fenced confines of my workplace.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WOW!  All this talk about electroninc keys with proximity sensors/chips and not one mentin yet of an EMP.  What has this forum come to?  

Back on topic...I carry spares in different pockets, wallet, hide-a-key, etc.  All of my eggs are not in one basket.

How do you suggest to protect the electronic ones from EMP?

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I carry a spare key in my wallet. I suppose someday I'll own one of these new fangled vehicles with fancy keys and I'll have to come up with a new plan, but until then I'm fine.
I used to lock my keys in all the damn time, but nwinding the coat hanger that was holding up my muffler was just as good as having a spare key. After a couple years in college my cars were no longer held together with bailing wire and bubble gum so that's when I started carrying a spare. After 20 years it's just a habit

ETA - after rereading to op, do new cars require the electronic component to unlock trunk? One poster mentioned that a normal key will open doors but not start it, so keep a good key in the vehicle somewhere (magnet box to the underside of the seat or the jack if it's inside) and just carry one capable of unlocking door/trunk
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This and only you and your companions know where to look.

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#31]
When I was living by myself I got in the habit that anytime I shut a locked door I had the key in my hand.  At one time my father had a Honda with a hand lever on the floor for opening the hatch.  He drilled a hole under the latch and then sealed the hole so if he was locked out he could use a phillips screw drived to push up from underneath and pop the hatch.  Of course he would have to borrow the screwdrive first.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I keep a truck key and house key in my HitchSafe.

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I've never had a car that required a fob.  I allways keep a metal key kidden in the truck (wire, cable ties and had drive magnets are your friend.)

I've only needed it once- I won't go into that story.  But I did help a couple who turned over a boat one time and took their pants off to swim to shore.  Somebody down stream got their boat, but the pants and wallet were lost.  Local PD opened the car  and the girl has a spare in her purse.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#34]
If the Zoombies are coming over the hill, I'm gonna break a window and get the heck otta there.

Yessir I am!
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an EMP guy, I wouldn't have the slightest clue.
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Windows break
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 4:52:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I have explored this issue as I bought a Prius as my daily driver a few months ago.

I'll wait.

Now that you are done laughing.

The key fob for the Prius is the key to the entire system.  The car senses the fob at about 6 feet from the drivers door (depending on the model all doors).  Only the Drivers door has a metal laser cut key.  I have not checked if Home Depot, etc can even make this type of key.

I did wrap the fob in aluminum foil and walk to the car.  The sensors did not recognize the fob.  However I wrapped the fob at the car and the sensors knew it was there.

I tried an Altoids tin.  That did not work.  Which also caused me to think the RFID hiding trick of using an Altoids tin would not work.

The metal key is an odd shape to put in a wallet, but not in a hide a key.  BTW look at a Prius closer there is ONLY ONE door with a metal keyed entrance.  That is the drivers door.  

Problem is if your car senses that the dang fob it starts turning things on (fuel pump, break system, fly by wire, etc) so you can not leave a detectable fob in or near the car as your car will cycle through until the 12 volt starting battery, and or the drive battery are dead.  Now you need a jump start.

Solution metal entrance key goes in a hide a key and a second cut for your wallet.  IIRC Toyota said an extra fob and key are about $100 and I doubt they break up the set.  Hide the fob in the car WITHOUT A BATTERY in it.  When needed use the metal key to access the car, put the battery in the fob.  Car recognizes fob and you are home.

I wonder if Toyota makes the electronic key board of some sort or a smart phone app and if you can make it so it the car only listens to certain mac ips?

As for EMP: I have access to several bicycles, several old motorcycles, and a 1975 Mustang II.  That is if the Van Da Graf Shield of the car fails.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 6:47:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Remove license plate, duct tape a spare key to rear of plate.  Replace plate.  So long as you have a dime in your pocket, plate can be removed and access spare key.

I wouldn't do this any place there are folks interested in stealing plates.  I have never known anybody that had their car stolen, but several have had plates stolen, or even registration stickers stolen off plates (just cut out).

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't do this any place there are folks interested in stealing plates.  I have never known anybody that had their car stolen, but several have had plates stolen, or even registration stickers stolen off plates (just cut out).  

/\ This is why my current plates are riveted on. I do like the idea of a hitch safe though. My only concerns is how well they hold up to the weather. I've had to cut more than one locking hitch pin off of folks trucks because the key cylinder was corroded so bad.

ETA: Too bad I have a 2.5" receiver on my truck...
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

/\ This is why my current plates are riveted on. I do like the idea of a hitch safe though. My only concerns is how well they hold up to the weather. I've had to cut more than one locking hitch pin off of folks trucks because the key cylinder was corroded so bad.

ETA: Too bad I have a 2.5" receiver on my truck...

I've had the HitchSafe for at least 3 years.  I opened it just the other day and the draw had no rust.  I removed it completely a few months ago when I had to tow a small trailer and the mechanism that locks it into the hitch receiver unlocked freely and had no rust.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a keypad on the door. Before that I just left my keys hidden in the bed of my pickup.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a keypad on the door. Before that I just left my keys hidden in the bed of my pickup.

I don't know why all car manufacturers don't put those keypads on the door.  Ford has been doing it for 15+ years and I never heard of a problem.  It used to be great when I would stop for coffee in the morning I could lock my Explorer with the truck running and get back into it with the keypad.  Now I have to carry two remotes if I want to do that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Pro-Tips:

The smallest window is probably not the cheapest window to replace.

if you resort to breaking a window; do it on the passenger side.

This is true. A friend of mine broke the small window on his extended cab Dodge when he locked the keys in his truck. The guy replacing the window told him, any other window would have been cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an EMP guy, I wouldn't have the slightest clue.

If EMP takes out your electronic key, then your car probably won't work either.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I locked myself out a couple months ago. Smashed a window.

Now I have one of those keysafes on the tow bar that the NRA sells.

Really missed my old Ford truck with a keypunch pad. I used to lock the keys in the car in those days when I went hunting or camping. That way other hunting buddies could get in and warm up the car if we got a blizzard or rainstorm.
Link Posted: 5/13/2012 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know why all car manufacturers don't put those keypads on the door.  Ford has been doing it for 15+ years and I never heard of a problem.  It used to be great when I would stop for coffee in the morning I could lock my Explorer with the truck running and get back into it with the keypad.  Now I have to carry two remotes if I want to do that.

Ford has a patent on the keyless entry keypad system. You will only find that on a FoMoCo product.
As a matter of fact, I had heard that FoMoCo has more patents for vehicle related things than any other manufacturer.....

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 12:04:58 AM EDT
[#47]
When backpacking, I leave my truck doors unlocked (shrug).

If somebody wants my shitty stereo that bad, or the $2.56 in change in the ash tray––just open the door and take it.  No need to bust my windows.

1986 Toyota 4X4.

I do keep a spare key in my wallet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
the answer is still "keep a spare".  You can add more transmitters to the system besides the two that come with the vehicle.

My car has a 'chipped' ignition system. The key won't start the car unless it has the chip built in.  I put a magnet on a 'dumb' key and hid it somewhere outside the car. This way if they find the 'dumb' key they can't drive off with the car. There's also a chipped key with an alarm fob hidden inside the car so I can shut off the alarm and drive the car.

One thing: BUY THE EXTRA CHIPPED KEYS AND FOBS BEFORE you need them! Most cars have a way to add the keys and fobs to the system without dealer intevention, but if you lose your only key, you are screwed. The keys can cost anywhere from $20 to $900... yes, that's nine hundred dollars! A lady at work lost her only key (she drove a Saab) and had to park the car for a month till she got a new key!
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 1:10:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't park them where the EMP will get them! Or park them inside a Faraday cage.

Srsly... if EMP has grunged your door locks, then your ignition system isn't far behind.

Quoted:
Quoted:

This and only you and your companions know where to look.

Or make your gf swallow a spare key.

Sucks to be her if you lose your keys.

Link Posted: 5/14/2012 1:13:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Keeping a extra key under the car is all fine and dandy until it gets stolen & recovered and the insurance company asks you why there's no damage to any of the locks...

If you don't have a car with anti-lockout, keep the spare on you somewhere, it's that simple.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top