Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2012 4:10:53 PM EDT
i have a lead in my local area for one of these generators. i was wondering if they are any good. guy says its runs great. he wants $600. just want to see if its worth it or if these are junk before i ride over to look at it
there is another guy selling a 5500w model for $1000, has 21 hours on it.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll buy it for $600, if you deliver it?

I don't know anything bought them, but D for $600? If it runs and makes light buy it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Do not buy a Titan. Do some google searches. What I've read is that the company has a scheme where they have their employees pretend they're regular joes and sell the items on craigslist advertised as new or lightly used.

You'll never find a Titan in any hardware or equipment store.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently, the American company that used to import them no longer has a website in service. Their website URL was titanindustrial.com.

Looking at an internet archive of their website before it was shut down, the company used to be based in Travelers Rest, SC. Although the website implied that their products were American-made, they were in fact Chinese.

Seems like getting service or repair parts would be VERY difficult.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
These were the same guys behind the pressure washer fiasco, yes?

Run like hell brother Brutus...in the other direction.

I'm not being flippant, just run.

ETA: Yes indeed, it's the same guys who were selling American branded Chinese crap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Just stumbled on their current website - It's titanindustrial.net.

The production plants are located in the upstate area of South Carolina and are based in Travelers Rest, a northern suburb of Greenville, South Carolina that is historically known as the heart of the textile industry in the United States. In an age when American production and manufacturing companies have been either closing down or moving their ;operations to other countries, American Fab continues to be a pioneering force that is dedicated to respecting American labor, American production, and the American way of life.

ALL of the products shown on their website are Chinese-made.

Example complaint from Ripoffreport.com and Scaminformer.com
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks guys, i'll be passing on this.
i remember having a few of these guys in pickups hocking this stuff at the shop in years past now that i think of it, just couldnt remember the brand.

any recommendations on a good gen set? a northern tool and equip store is pretty close to me....im trying to go diesel as long as my wallet will let me
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just stumbled on their current website - It's titanindustrial.net.

The production plants are located in the upstate area of South Carolina and are based in Travelers Rest, a northern suburb of Greenville, South Carolina that is historically known as the heart of the textile industry in the United States. In an age when American production and manufacturing companies have been either closing down or moving their ;operations to other countries, American Fab continues to be a pioneering force that is dedicated to respecting American labor, American production, and the American way of life.

ALL of the products shown on their website are Chinese-made.

Example complaint from Ripoffreport.com and Scaminformer.com

Yeah, here's another one LINK

These guys are like a rash on the Internet

Garand_Shooter's input in this Archived Thread is excellent-but I don't know if the OP can read it without being a team member.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
thanks guys, i'll be passing on this.
i remember having a few of these guys in pickups hocking this stuff at the shop in years past now that i think of it, just couldnt remember the brand.

any recommendations on a good gen set? a northern tool and equip store is pretty close to me....im trying to go diesel as long as my wallet will let me

I can't help you with a Diesel, because all of mine are gas or propane/LNG powered. The only diesel that I'm really knowledgeable about is the Caterpillar powered unit on the roof of my office-but that one is probably more than what you're looking for

The emergency response division of our ISP has several Yanmar diesel portables that they use to power remote nodes during prolonged utility outages. When they run them they run them continuously-they don't even shut them down to refuel.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
any recommendations on a good gen set?

Must be a diesel model, or could you use a gasoline model instead?

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:58:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm open to any fuel type, but highly prefer diesel for engine life and fuel storage ease and compatibility
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:16:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a titan air compressor that i got for free. Its got a 5hp honda-clone motor. My idiot father bought it off the back of a truck like one of those speaker scammers. I replaced the carb when it broke, the fuel tank when it cracked, the pulleys when they stripped, the belt when it snapped, the engine mounting bolts when they fell out, the starter pull when it grenaded, ect. Honda parts are a direct fit. It was free and i have alot of scrounged parts in it, but i still dont trust it. It tends to break at the worst possible times.

In my mind i imagine the pistons are made of plastic and covered in tin foil.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
dang titan sounds like a class act. hahaha
apparently when you look up POS in the dictionary there is a picture of titan equipment
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good diesel gensets are a thing of beauty. My problem is that my desire to have one keeps rubbing up against my budget.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a cheaper unit that looks appealing. I have yet to see it with the possible exception of the auctioned military sets.

I would love to have a small Kubota or Perkins powered diesel genset, but sadly I am with you on the cost-I just can't justify one for occasional use.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I have that Titan model unit.  I bought it on Ebay  brand new for a good price.  I had to replace the breaker on the unit and when I called them, they were very helpful.  

The wattage isn't 7500 watts....more like 6000 max.  

Overall, I'm happy with mine.  No issues and it runs well.  

If you want a small diesel cheap, check out the Aurora generators.  They are the best of the imports.  

For $600, I'd buy it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:34:27 AM EDT
[#16]
update:

found a kubota 6000w in a classified ad about 1.5 hours from me for 2500$. is this the steal of the century or can i hold off for a better deal? i have no idea what resale is on these, just retail
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
update:

found a kubota 6000w in a classified ad about 1.5 hours from me for 2500$. is this the steal of the century or can i hold off for a better deal? i have no idea what resale is on these, just retail

That sounds good to me.
Offer $2K

I got a Baldor 6KW for about that with the 4 wheel kit here.
But there is a Baldor plant here and sometimes you get a deal.

CP
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 6:57:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Good diesel gensets are a thing of beauty. My problem is that my desire to have one keeps rubbing up against my budget.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a cheaper unit that looks appealing. I have yet to see it with the possible exception of the auctioned military sets.

Thanks for the link to hardydiesel....
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:18:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
update:

Depends greatly on what kind of condition it's in.

Also, did Kubota make the entire generator, or is it just a Kubota engine mated to an alternator head made by someone else? Be wary of famous-brand engines mated to no-name Chinese-made alternator heads!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top