Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2011 1:48:58 PM EDT
Our local Costco finally had some of the canned beef.  They always have the chicken but the beef has never been stocked until just recently.  

You get 4 twelve ounce cans for $11-$12.  So about $4 per pound.  The meat was nice tender chunks with very little gristle or fatty tissue.  It was not overly salty and had a nice mild beefy flavor.  There are a few globs of rendered fat in the can that add nice flavor when melted back in to the dish you are preparing.  The meat is quite soft so if you stir it a lot you'll end up with finely shredded beef particles.

Overall it was better than I expected and a welcome addition to my preps.  It would be very easy to make taco meat or BBQ beef or any number of dishes with this stuff.  

ETA: it's good cold right from the can too.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review. I picked up a sleeve of that a month or so ago to add to my preps. Glad to know its not more like dog food. That actually looks pretty good. May need to get one or two more of those.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Expiration date?
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Expiration date?

Can says "Best by 7/16/2013"   so 2 years.  I'm guessing it would be viable for much longer.  We'll see.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Expiration date?

Can says "Best by 7/16/2013"   so 2 years.  I'm guessing it would be viable for much longer.  We'll see.

Thanks looks like a good item to have on hand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:27:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it would go nicely with rice or pasta.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I dumped some in with rice and soy sauce. It was damned good.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one in my stash, and have cooked with one set. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
We've used it in place of hamburger in some of the hamburger helper meals.  It works out quite well.  We've been pleased with it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Looks good.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
The chicken is good also.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for posting. I don't think I would have chanced it on my own.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:49:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Nearly all the brands like that come from the same place in Brazil.  We try to keep 30 cans all times.

Over rice with Brown gravy and canned mushrooms

With taco seasoning for soft tacos

In velvetta cheese with rotel tomatos as dip

With vegall for stew with added brown gravy mix

You can get real creative it is very lean meat.  You can find it in my area from 2.50 to 5.50 for the same thing but different name.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:04:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nearly all the brands like that come from the same place in Brazil.  We try to keep 30 cans all times.

Over rice with Brown gravy and canned mushrooms

With taco seasoning for soft tacos

In velvetta cheese with rotel tomatos as dip

With vegall for stew with added brown gravy mix

You can get real creative it is very lean meat.  You can find it in my area from 2.50 to 5.50 for the same thing but different name.
It says  "Product of USA" on the label.

The broth in the can is quite good and with a little flour or cornstarch would make nice gravy.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll have to try some next time I go to Costco.  They have been helpful as I slowly build my food stores up.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:01:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The cans Costco gets from Brazil have more beef in them and the broth tastes much better.  The made in USA cans are still good.  Both the chicken and beef are excellent when you make homemade nachos.  The wife was skeptical when i first bought some years ago. Now she loves it.  Usually the cans are dated 2 to 3 years from purchase.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The cans Costco gets from Brazil have more beef in them and the broth tastes much better.  The made in USA cans are still good.  Both the chicken and beef are excellent when you make homemade nachos.  The wife was skeptical when i first bought some years ago. Now she loves it.  Usually the cans are dated 2 to 3 years from purchase.

I got the same thing. Mine however says "product of Argentina" This was a few years back. They are long expired yet still on the shelf.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using the Chicken lately and just bought 4 cans of the beef the other day - first time i've seen it at our Costco.

mine says product of USA and mine have 06/07/2013 dates on them.

will have to try making something up this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Have not seen at my Costco yet. But, would love to add to my stock.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:09:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Expiration date?

If interested, I have some that is two years out of date. I could check.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Sodium content?
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:39:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Sodium content?

180mg per serving (8% daily allowance). About 4 servings per can.  It's not nearly as salty as I thought it would be.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sodium content?

180mg per serving (8% daily allowance). About 4 servings per can.  It's not nearly as salty as I thought it would be.

Nice.  That's actually pretty low for canned foods.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Hot damn!  Im headed to costco today for some small stuff.... Ill have to go see if they have any of these in stock.... Itd be a nice addition to the kirkland chicken I have.  Price doesnt look to bad either all things considered.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Expiration date?

If interested, I have some that is two years out of date. I could check.

As long as they're not swollen, rusted, or the seal otherwise compromised cans are good pretty much forever - with the exception of acidic foods like tomatoes.  Those don't last as long since the white lining inside the can eats away.  I give those 5 years max.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Dammit...made me run up to CostCo just to get some to try out..........
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I love that stuff.  
I bought some several months ago and tried it.  When I went back for more they didn't have any and haven't had it since.  Next time I go, I'm going to see the store manager and ask him to get more in.

There was a whole pallet of the stuff and it all sold so there they can't use that as an excuse.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't have Costco here.  Does Sam's Club or Walmart sell it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Ok, heated some up in the microwave and tried it. Damn good....and I'm a snob about canned meats. I can see this becoming the ingredient around which a  long-term-storage meal is made... some dehydrated onions, some taco seasoning mix, some tomato crystals, some rice....yeah, I think its gonna be experimentation time in the kitchen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Ok, heated some up in the microwave and tried it. Damn good....and I'm a snob about canned meats. I can see this becoming the ingredient around which a  long-term-storage meal is made... some dehydrated onions, some taco seasoning mix, some tomato crystals, some rice....yeah, I think its gonna be experimentation time in the kitchen.

Heck I think I'm going to start using it more in some everyday cooking.  The price per pound is not much more than even the cheap cuts these days.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#31]
This is one of the main ingredients of my food storage chili (or "chili flavored bean stew" if that's the way you lean).

It's awesome stuff. My kids sneak it out of the preps to make quesadillas for after school snacks.

I found some of the LDS canned beef chunks in the back of our pantry that were at least seven years old.
They made for some really good enchiladas.

If stored properly, I wouldn't worry about storing this stuff for several years.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I like it as well.  

I bought about 4 hundred bucks of canned stuff recently and 20 cans of this was part of it.

I like it fried up with some onions over rice!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top