Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2011 6:56:01 PM EDT
I have a source for some, (several K) of Cavim Venezuela 308 / 7.62x51 Ammo.  I bought some today (1990 production) but I am wondering if Is there anything I need to look for, like the DAG having corrosion?  I think if this is good to go, I will buy as much as my budget allows for the long term stash.  Any info from first hand experience will be appreciated.

I have read a few postings on some other forums, but most of the info seems to stop after 2008 dated posts and it is mixed in the reviews.  The stuff I picked up today seems to be very clean, no signs of corrosion, but I wonder if it could be a problem and if anyone has older dated ammo and has seen problems with it.  

I plan on putting a few mags through the HK-91 tomorrow to see how it shoots.

Thanks for the input.

S-1
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]
it has a tar sealant on the case neck. It would not run in any of my HKs
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If it will run in your rifle, I would buy it all if the price is right. AIM Surplus has some Malaysian .308 right now for comparision. You might try posting the question in the ammo forum to get more hits.

ammo forum
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Goes bang, non-corrosive, highly inaccurate (bullets are a little undersized I think).  Ran fine in my HK91 and now in my AR10.  Buy it for practice ammo if the price is right.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
ran fine in my HK 91 but was not accurate.definitely blasting ammo.

i quit using it, cleaned the heck out of the bore and the gun returned to it's excelent accuracy. it has a PSG-1 grip and trigger, MSG-90 stock and a NATO bipod.

Radway Green was sooo much better!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 5:32:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it will run in your rifle, I would buy it all if the price is right. AIM Surplus has some Malaysian .308 right now for comparision. You might try posting the question in the ammo forum to get more hits.

ammo forum

I bought some Malaysian .308 at Dick's Sporting Goods in the battle pack a couple of years ago. About 1 out of 7 rnds won't go bang. I don't know if this is normal or if I just got a bad run.
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
UPDATE...

Shot some of this today, about 60 rds.  Started having mis-feeds after the second 20 rd mag, stuck cases.  Accurate enough, but man did it leave a tar like build up in the chamber!  Nasty stuff!  It was leaving vertical ridges of tar on chambered but unfired rounds when I cleared the gun.  A little Kroil cleaned the chamber up and I had zero problems with some battle pack DAG and some of the linked Hertinberger (SP?) from AIM last year.

My suggestion, avoid this Cavin stuff if possible.

S-1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top