Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2011 10:31:32 AM EDT
I have a private well.  It's 130' deep or so and is located right next to my house.  The casement is above ground, there is a pitless adapter and a submersed well pump inside the case.  I can think of a few ways to draw water out of the well, without using the electric pump, but I don't know if someone doesn't have a better way.  If I could come up with something that would be easy to switch back and forth from, that would be ideal, but at this point my best idea for that is to use a generator to power my well pump - which is fine for short term power outages but not ideal for a long term solution.

I guess a generator for short term, and pulling the submerible pump and dropping pipe down the case for a hand pump is my basic idea.  I don't know how hard it would be to pump water up 130' by hand though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#1]
A hand pump with spares might be the most reliable. They are available.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just a quick and dirty:

You can only 'suck' water 25 feet vertically.

HAHA! How many folks even begin to understand this nowadays.

That said, you can manually PUMP it 100's of feet!

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks!  Something like this would require pulling the electric pump and dropping 2 pipes down the casement?
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#6]
http://preparednessadvice.com/well/make-your-own-deep-well-bucket/

All you need is a bit of PVC and a rubber flapper.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm getting the impression Lehmans is a too expensive alternative to shop at....

Sadly...
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the static depth of your water? Your  well may be 130',bt the water level may come up the casing to 30' or 40' feet deep,that will have a lot to do with what pump you need and how expensive it will be.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
When we drilled our well at the cabin we used a galvanized well bucket to get water until we put in the electric pump. I figure if SHTF I'd have to do it again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
110' feet.  The last time the pump was pulled out for service it appeared it was submerged in 20' of water.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a set of batteries and an inverter?
Add a  half dozen solar panels, and you have  all the water you want, buy  a new set of batteries every ten years or so....
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 2:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
This dude might be able to help.  LOTS of water vids.

Youtube / Engineer775's wells
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have been thinking about an alternative to me well as well that doesn't rely on electricty. I did a lot of web surfing looking and the best I could come up was this.

http://www.survivalunlimited.com/deepwellpump.htm
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#14]
You can hand bail a 4" diameter well at 100' at about 0.5 GPM, based on my own experiences. :)
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 4:20:55 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.bisonpumps.com/
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's 130' deep or so and is located right next to my house.   I can think of a few ways to draw water out of the well

as noted above, you can't "suck" water up from more than about 30 feet down.  

Quoted:
I guess a generator for short term, and pulling the submerible pump and dropping pipe down the case for a hand pump is my basic idea.  I don't know how hard it would be to pump water up 130' by hand though.

do you have tractor?  a PTO generator is pretty cheap, especially used.
see  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/648696_PTO_Generator_Recommendations_.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a stand alone generator that I can power the submersible pump, I'm just looking for a long term solution where fuel storage means calories not gasoline
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Good thread.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a small gas powered honda water pump. I have an adaptor that lets me hook a garden hose to it, at the end of the hose that drops in the well is a check valve that lets water go up but not down.
I have to prime the pump with about 5 to 6 gallons of water to get it started it but once the hose and pump is in place it keeps its prime.
The pump will pump up about 15 gallons a minute at my wells depth of about 130 feet.
The old in ground pump and piping and electric line has to be removed to get the hose down the well with ease.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail§ion=P2WP&modelname=WX10&modelid=WX10K1AT

This is a backup if my generator fails or the electric pump should fail.

X
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
There are various options.

One option is a long rope and a narrow container. No electricity, simple, and dirt cheap.

Not ideal if you need a lot of water, but you can be pretty creative about reducing your potable water consumption if you have to work real hard to get it.

A short term solution is a backup power source of some sort.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a small gas powered honda water pump. I have an adaptor that lets me hook a garden hose to it, at the end of the hose that drops in the well is a check valve that lets water go up but not down.
I have to prime the pump with about 5 to 6 gallons of water to get it started it but once the hose and pump is in place it keeps its prime.
The pump will pump up about 15 gallons a minute at my wells depth of about 130 feet.
The old in ground pump and piping and electric line has to be removed to get the hose down the well with ease.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail§ion=P2WP&modelname=WX10&modelid=WX10K1AT

X

That's a wonderful and handy pump.

But, how about checking on the depth issue.

It may LIFT 120' but it won't 'SUCK' more than abt 20-25 feet.

See the 5th post from the top.

Link Posted: 7/27/2011 12:50:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a BISON on my well, which was drilled to 1000' deep, and the Bison down to 200' - which is just above the submersible pump. I love it. Sure beats lugging buckets of water up from the stream for cooking and toilet-flushing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 3:25:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

X

That's a wonderful and handy pump.

But, how about checking on the depth issue.

It may LIFT 120' but it won't 'SUCK' more than abt 20-25 feet.

See the 5th post from the top.

"CHECK-VALVE"  means it doesn't have to suck. The hose-water is right at the pump (or within 20ft. of it)
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"CHECK-VALVE"  means it doesn't have to suck. The hose-water is right at the pump (or within 20ft. of it)

Check valve only means it does not have to prime the pipe from the pump up to the surface. Physics says you can only suck water as high as whatever the current barometric air pressure happens to be, and that is with a perfect sucker. Thats about 32 feet of water. Given the inability of most pumps to be perfect suckers, 25 feet is a typical maximum for sucking water.
Link Posted: 7/27/2011 10:14:55 AM EDT
[#25]
What about those of us that have much deeper wells like oh say 700ft?  Mine is a fairly new 5 yrs old electric pump, any ideas how to get water once all gas is used up by the generator?
Link Posted: 7/28/2011 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Why not just use an inverter, and good string of deep cycle batteries?
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 6:42:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Power your genset with a stationary or modified bike.
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

good luck with that plan.

an adult male can make about 60 to 80W (about 0.1HP) for about 1hr before fatiguing.  even a small submersible well pump is 1/2HP, requiring about 500W to run.  moreover, the conversion efficiency from human->generator->motor->pumping water is on the order of 70%, so around 30% of the power you produced on the bike is lost forever.

meanwhile, your human powered generator didn't come free.  the tradeoff for converting calories to electrical power is not a good one. to produce that 1/10th of a horsepower for any meaningful period will require a lot of food intake. and during SHTF, i doubt that there will be a lot of "spare calories".  so the weak link in this idea is the fact that to generate appreciable power, one has to consume large quantities of food. for example, it's not uncommon for Tour de France riders to be on 9000 calorie per day "diets" for the entire month.

in a SHTF situation, i value conserving food over having electrical power. i would not "waste" food by inefficiently converting it to electricity.

related,
link

Like many of these projects, the California Fitness setup isn't going to light up the Hong Kong skyline or even power the club's own air conditioning. The gym chain has rigged up 13 machines at one of its clubs here. When all of them are in use, the power generated amounts to about 300 watts, roughly enough to run three 27-inch television sets, five 60-watt light bulbs or several hundred video iPods.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good luck with that plan.

an adult male can make about 60 to 80W (about 0.1HP) for about 1hr before fatiguing.  even a small submersible well pump is 1/2HP, requiring about 500W to run.  moreover, the conversion efficiency from human->generator->motor->pumping water is on the order of 70%, so around 30% of the power you produced on the bike is lost forever.

meanwhile, your human powered generator didn't come free.  the tradeoff for converting calories to electrical power is not a good one. to produce that 1/10th of a horsepower for any meaningful period will require a lot of food intake. and during SHTF, i doubt that there will be a lot of "spare calories".  so the weak link in this idea is the fact that to generate appreciable power, one has to consume large quantities of food. for example, it's not uncommon for Tour de France riders to be on 9000 calorie per day "diets" for the entire month.

in a SHTF situation, i value conserving food over having electrical power. i would not "waste" food by inefficiently converting it to electricity.

related,

link

Like many of these projects, the California Fitness setup isn't going to light up the Hong Kong skyline or even power the club's own air conditioning. The gym chain has rigged up 13 machines at one of its clubs here. When all of them are in use, the power generated amounts to about 300 watts, roughly enough to run three 27-inch television sets, five 60-watt light bulbs or several hundred video iPods.

ar-jedi

I never said I would be powering it...

OP wanted to burn calories.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top