BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Started building my house.  Well, technically we've been moving dirt for a week.  Digging the basement at the moment.  Hope to have concrete started next week.

House will incorporate some survival features....and some nice to have features as well.
View Quote

That's where it's at. Building from scratch so you can add some things. Like a couple extra reinforced concrete walls. Reinforced door w/ good locking system. Maybe whatever shelving or racks inside could be on wheels/rails/coasters to make extra room during a bad storm? Would love to do that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:33:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just picked up my Gemtech Trek from my dealer and mounted it to a 6920 and sighted it in.  Sighted in my AR10 with the new suppressor cover I got for it.  Just got in a suppressor cover for my deer rifle and one for the suppressor on my SBR.

Just got word that my Octane 9 suppressor just came in.  Need to get a piston for it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
well not a LOT. part of my prepping this year, has been paying off old debts, and fixing my credit, and some other things.... lots of issues were old divorce bills..... i got into my budget notebook last night and added it up..... since january, to october 1st, ( just this year alone)  i have paid a total of $12.385.00 bucks, on old debt. i paid off my last bill a few days ago, and now i am officially debt free.. ( well, except for my land payment), im saying i have no old bills or bad debt etc now.

im working on my credit and saving cash as my main prep at the moment. in around 12 months, i expect to have a nice chunk saved up.. ( enough to pay cash for a pole barn garage with a apartment), then i can move out of this rental and save myself another $800 a month. things will pick up speed very fast at that time... lots more money i can save each month, or get projects done, better credit, so i can borrow from a bank to build my house if i need to.

as i repeadly mentioned before guns are off the table... i now have a $200 a month budget for gun related stuff../ prepper stuff  .. i spend $100.00 this month, buying the stock, buffer tube and some other stuff to convert my ar pistol to a sbr when my stamp arrives.

things are REALLY looking good for the future..... in a year i expect to be living in a paid for pole barn garage apartment..... in three years i expect to be living on paid off land, in a paid off garage apartment...... and just starting to build a concrete in ground house... while financing maybe 1/2 of it max. ( and to be on a 10 year loan ).

i cant wait.

i AM considering a major purchase in the near future though... im considering buying a piece of heavy equipment... a backhoe.  im considering buying a older used one for around maybe $10.000.00.   OR a larger sized tractor, with a backhoe on it.... although i believe the backhoe would be cheaper than a tractor / backhoe combo.

my reasoning is this..... i need a lot of heavy equipment work. heavy equipment work costs approx $100.00 a hour. last time i got work done, 40 hours worth was around $2400.00. this time i need A LOT of heavy equipment work. i need to dig water and power line ditches approx 500' long..... i need to clean up approx oh 5 acres, i need to totally clear approx 5 more acres..... then i need to dig a hole in a hillside for a in ground house...dig utility lines to and from the septic, and to and from building to building, .. dig a hole for a under ground shelter,  remove a shitload of stumps, move a lot of dirt to level things out and fill low spots and depressions........ digging hole for a septic tank, probably eventually dig a small - medium sized pond,  etc, etc, etc,

and if i had my own equipment, hell i might even put in a under ground tunnel or two, since its based on my time, not equipment rental.... ( and i have all the time in the world, since im home all day with nothing to do)  not to mention general landscaping, moving dirt, digging sidewalks,  basically im saying i EXPECT to spend a LOT more than $10k on RENTING backhoe work.... so it might be better to just buy a good used one. at least after all the works done ill still have the paid for equipment .....the key being.. " a good used one"..something in decent shape, and able to start work.. be picky about it, and buy one thats had recent work done to it.... maybe buy it at a auction.   iv got friends who do backhoe work for a living who could help me inspect the machine.   and no... i dont have any backhoe experience. i was planning to start small, and dig stumps, and work my way up to larger projects.... get a friend to supervise me for a few hours until iv got a handle on the proper techniques.  i wont need to haul it... it will be on my 15 acres... max i would have to move it would be 2 miles on back country roads, so i could easily drive it... no special trailer needed, except to get it home the first time.   im considering it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Good day on craigs list. 3x55gal plastic drum, 1x30gal plastic drum, 3x8gal plastic drum, all with lids $75.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:10:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

well not a LOT. part of my prepping this year, has been paying off old debts, and fixing my credit, and some other things.... lots of issues were old divorce bills..... i got into my budget notebook last night and added it up..... since january, to october 1st, ( just this year alone)  i have paid a total of $12.385.00 bucks, on old debt. i paid off my last bill a few days ago, and now i am officially debt free.. ( well, except for my land payment), im saying i have no old bills or bad debt etc now.

im working on my credit and saving cash as my main prep at the moment. in around 12 months, i expect to have a nice chunk saved up.. ( enough to pay cash for a pole barn garage with a apartment), then i can move out of this rental and save myself another $800 a month. things will pick up speed very fast at that time... lots more money i can save each month, or get projects done, better credit, so i can borrow from a bank to build my house if i need to.

as i repeadly mentioned before guns are off the table... i now have a $200 a month budget for gun related stuff../ prepper stuff  .. i spend $100.00 this month, buying the stock, buffer tube and some other stuff to convert my ar pistol to a sbr when my stamp arrives.

things are REALLY looking good for the future..... in a year i expect to be living in a paid for pole barn garage apartment..... in three years i expect to be living on paid off land, in a paid off garage apartment...... and just starting to build a concrete in ground house... while financing maybe 1/2 of it max. ( and to be on a 10 year loan ).

i cant wait.

i AM considering a major purchase in the near future though... im considering buying a piece of heavy equipment... a backhoe.  im considering buying a older used one for around maybe $10.000.00.   OR a larger sized tractor, with a backhoe on it.... although i believe the backhoe would be cheaper than a tractor / backhoe combo.

my reasoning is this..... i need a lot of heavy equipment work. heavy equipment work costs approx $100.00 a hour. last time i got work done, 40 hours worth was around $2400.00. this time i need A LOT of heavy equipment work. i need to dig water and power line ditches approx 500' long..... i need to clean up approx oh 5 acres, i need to totally clear approx 5 more acres..... then i need to dig a hole in a hillside for a in ground house...dig utility lines to and from the septic, and to and from building to building, .. dig a hole for a under ground shelter,  remove a shitload of stumps, move a lot of dirt to level things out and fill low spots and depressions........ digging hole for a septic tank, probably eventually dig a small - medium sized pond,  etc, etc, etc,

and if i had my own equipment, hell i might even put in a under ground tunnel or two, since its based on my time, not equipment rental.... ( and i have all the time in the world, since im home all day with nothing to do)  not to mention general landscaping, moving dirt, digging sidewalks,  basically im saying i EXPECT to spend a LOT more than $10k on RENTING backhoe work.... so it might be better to just buy a good used one. at least after all the works done ill still have the paid for equipment .....the key being.. " a good used one"..something in decent shape, and able to start work.. be picky about it, and buy one thats had recent work done to it.... maybe buy it at a auction.   iv got friends who do backhoe work for a living who could help me inspect the machine.   and no... i dont have any backhoe experience. i was planning to start small, and dig stumps, and work my way up to larger projects.... get a friend to supervise me for a few hours until iv got a handle on the proper techniques.  i wont need to haul it... it will be on my 15 acres... max i would have to move it would be 2 miles on back country roads, so i could easily drive it... no special trailer needed, except to get it home the first time.   im considering it.
View Quote
And then you can sell it when you are done with your big projects and buy a skidsteer, which is insanely handy on 15 acres. Mandatory w/o a tractor and loader.

Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:18:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Got rid of some of the weeds around the house that I had cut.  Burn barrels are your friends.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0J0zRiDAmE

Cleared out and burned a lot of weeds today as well as 2 hours of ditch digging.  Ground is wet because of the rains and it's easier to dig but you do get a workout.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Started our meat rabbit project. Ordered a set of KW Cages and picked up pedigree and a buck and doe papered NZWs and a pedigree and papered buck and doe Californian. All 12 weeks old. We'll grow them out over the winter and then start producing litters in the spring.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Added 500 rounds BH 77 GR. OTM 5.56MM to the mix - the XM193 it replaced is now training/plinking ammo.

Rotated out 8 gallons of gas

Been working 8-12 hours of OT per month since August

Been consistent on workouts, could do better on eating healthy

Got the wife to the range on a quick lunch date and she put a few mags downrange with an AR

Had a few hours of low light shooting/training with AR and pistol

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:56:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

i cant wait.

View Quote

Keep your eyes on equipment auctions for sure. And based on what you're saying, a backhoe with different size buckets is going to be your best friend. A combo is nice, but it will take you forever to dig sizeable job with it. Keep in mind, that getting it hauled home (at least around here) will cost in the neighborhood of $700. A semi and lowboy trailer.

Edit: I'm finally going through the safe and trading off/ selling stuff I don't shoot anymore. Consolidating calibers I guess.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#11]
28 lbs. of 855

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Loaded some .308 and .45-70 ammo.  Mounted winch to jeep and changed fluids, getting ready for winter.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Organizing and inventory using excel and evernote.

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Hit a couple regional farm swaps and picked up a Quad of Coturnix Quail. Will expand to 8 females and 2 males in the coming months. Should keep the wife and I in meat and eggs and allow me to pass along some birds to people in our church and circle of friends.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Picked up a kerosene heater and 5 gallon tank of craigs list  for a very reasonable price ..     I live in an area  where cold weather is rare ( but welcome ) and I already  have a whole house natural gas generator and have converted my home heat to natural gas.  House has a fire place and I have an outside wood fired pot belly that I could move inside and install a flue and piping outside ( dont have the pipe )  if needed  , I also have an electric space heater that can heat  the bedroom . so this was just to add another  level of portable heat ( I was looking at  a Mr  buddy heater - still may get one ) that I can use almost anywhere.  

As I type this I realize that I have a few levels available of  of heat -  electric / natural gas / wood / kerosene.  In a climate where really heat is an after thought

But I only have my house A/c ( fairly new and still under warranty )  and multiple fans .. as the cooler months hit , time to start looking for portable a/c  and or window units as back up .
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought 300 rounds of Australian 7.62x51. My ammo needs are big. Really need 9mm but couldn't pass up a good deal on some NATO battle pack 7.62.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my fodder system fully installed, moved my Californian buck into a wire cage, moved my does into an Xlarge Pet Cage until their wire stacking unit gets here Wed. Built a PVC and hardware cloth cage for my Coturnix Quail and picked up some more magazines from TSC with good articles on backyard homesteading while we pay down debt and save for our move out of town.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#18]
i put my tractor to use, and im building a range. i cleared a old logging road, that was straight as a arrow for 200 yards...    iv got a firing position, and waist high sand piles for 50-100-150.... and 200 yards.. the 200 yard berm is 20' wide ( its a hillside i cut out) and 10' high..... the 200 yard berm will also be the handgun range... im graveling the ground, around the handgun area, and the rifle firing line. also will be building firing tables at each end. i used it to zero my muzzle loader the other day... now i need wood for the firing tables, and target frames.  im still adding sand to it, but should be finished this week.only about 10 tons left to go.. lol .. its looking great so far.

ill try to post pictures soon.. just have crappy cell pic right now.

also.... this is post 16,000

ok heres pics...

here is the pic from when i first started.... i had just cleared the brush from the lane.... but had not started on the berms yet..... the tractor is sitting on the rifle firing line location..

. the range is actually perfectly straight... but my tractor trail is not... im curving around a small stump and brush pile which i already moved.... i also cleaned up the range alley better, cut some small trees and graded it.. it looks a lot better now than this pic.. berm in front is 50 yard.

4 x power... shows 50-100-150 berms.. tan dot in distance is 200 yard berm.. its twice as wide, and twice as high now....

im going to build each target berm like this.. with cross ties.... they will be a little smaller than this... they will be around 5' tall...and 5-8' wide..

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Cut firewood with the wife.  In the process of building a new house and the new house will have a wood stove in the basement.  The wood we are cutting will be next year's firewood.  The wood stove is backup and occasional supplemental heat.  It won't be primary heat.  I like having a wood stove but have exactly zero desire to have it as the primary heat source.

Cut up a small hickory tree and a small mulberry tree.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Brother was out with the boom lift from the farm. Took down 3 LARGE trees that were right over the house. 1 was dead, the other was huge and rotting at the base (and found out one main trunk was totally hollow ), the other was hanging over the house badly. Took all 3 down without incident. Will now have a metric shit ton of firewood, and since I only burn camp and cooking fires, it will last many, many years. The skidsteer with grappel bucket works great for tree cleanup. Think I'm going to buy a wood chipper and have all the mulch I can ever need.

The 316 proved its worth, and what it could do. Brother looked at me and said there was no way my 316 could pull this log (about 20 inches diameter, about 8ft long). I said no problem, and we chained it up. Drug it around handily. Then he wanted to see what it could do. Hooked up to a log about 18" diameter, about 20' long. With him standing on the front axle for weight, I was able to pull that out of the woods! Those Carlisle Tru-Power are amazing. Told him he was no longer allowed to make fun of the 316 .

Repaired my Stihl saw. The boot between the carb and intake ripped, again . Took about 1/2 hour and an assistant for a few strategic minutes. Now have to re-adjust the low idle, but she runs great. Now I have to track down another boot to have on hand. The first one ripped within the first year, the second lasted about 3 years. Apparently, its an issue with this model. FYI, I have an MS270.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quail laid their first eggs today. Now to expand the flock from 10 birds to 50 birds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Beltfed bug bit again....

Then....

Looked at a new to me tractor and two seater atv. May be a while but seems there are some deals out there. Need to regrade the yard a bit and get water flowing away from the house. Might grab another genset, need to get a transfer switch set up.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Bought a S&W M&P Shield 9 on Friday night and got a DeSantis Mini Scabbard for it from Amazon. Was supposed to break in the pistol last night but the range was closed. Going to wear the gun around the house for a few hours today to get accustomed to how it feels.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Picked up 500 rds of .45 ACP and 400 rds of 9mm. I had to replenish my stocks as they have been getting low.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Picked up a nice Aladdin Model 23 aluminum font lamp with all its parts and mantle for under $60 on flebay. Was gifted a well used scepter fuel can.
Made a batch of whole wheat rolls. First time ever making bread and it was too easy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 10:26:04 AM EDT
[#26]
collapsed and filled in an old cistern in an area we are clearing for a playground for the kids.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:25:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought ANOTHER 2-burner Coleman camp stove.  $4.  ...AND it works.  just needs cleaned up

I only have 4 now, but why do I keep buying these things!!??
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Hit a multi-estate auction at the auction barn today.

Among some of my better buys:

A kero sun convection (caged model). Haven't looked at it yet. Got it along with a half dozen large clay pots, heated pet bowl for $1

$135 worth of fencing for $15

Heavy friggin duty trailer that will work perfectly behind the 316. Will put a hydraulic dump box on it, its about 4ft wide by 6ft long. Has 3 ton hubs . The frame is heavier than a pickup truck. Paid $20

Fuel barrel, no stand. Paid $5. Going to use it as a sugar evaporator or burn barrel.

Paid $9 for 3 scythes. 1 has a short handle (broken).

Worth standing out in 34 degree weather with 30mph winds and snow for!
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Great  sale on ammo at Sportsman's Warehouse. 15% off all ammo except .22Lr using your loyalty card. Bought 900 rds of 9mm and 100 rds of .45 ACP. 4 cans of dehydrated veggies and 2 cans of dehydrated brownie mix. Hey you have to feed the sweet tooth.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bought ANOTHER 2-burner Coleman camp stove.  $4.  ...AND it works.  just needs cleaned up

I only have 4 now, but why do I keep buying these things!!??
View Quote

to facilitate more purchases, give them away to trusted family members as Christmas presents.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Bought a surplus multi fuel, M 1950 stove from surplus store...Lit it and puts out many btu's Like that it will work with different types of fuel....
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Ordered a holster and magazine for my new CCW (a Walther PPKS that my dad bought in the 80s) and worked 10 hours of OT to get some debt paid off.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Took the wife and my grandmother apple picking yesterday. Picked 45lbs of Granny Smith and Fuji apples.

Today we cooked and canned 25 Pints of Apple Butter. Still have a good amount of apples left, so I'll be putting up some apple sauce over the next couple of days.

Food Preps plus family bonding, big wins all around.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Food Preps plus family bonding, big wins all around.
View Quote
Your most important prep

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 1:18:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Hauled to the house a bunch of branches from a tree that was cut down two years ago.  They're great for kindling.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Rotating my gas cans. Will be filling up 7 jerrys here shortly while the gas is cheap.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Bought 200 rds of 9mm ammo. 150 were FMJ and 50 were HP. Also bought 2 Taran Tactical Glock 43 + 2 magazine base pads. Also ordered another holster from Bravo concealment for my Glock 21 .45 auto. Bought two ponchos for our get home bags..
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#38]
250 rounds of 9mm in the mail
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Ditch digging for over an hour.  It not only ensures that the water won't go over my road and create ruts, but the excavated dirt is graet for filling in existing ruts.  My shoulder is tired.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Picked up some silver rounds, planted blueberries and blackberries, and filled up my empty gas cans.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#41]
ordered some 380 for the carry gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:50:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Picked up some silver rounds, planted blueberries and blackberries, and filled up my empty gas cans.
View Quote

Do you have a greenhouse?  I know it snows in Georgia.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Picked up Marbles Boys Hatchets for my nephews 1 and 3 for Christmas. I'm done with giving Chinese plastic junk toys as gifts. They'll get heritage tools and guns from now on.

I picked up a Marbles Camp Axe for myself and a Wetterlings Splitting Axe. Tired of using junk and breaking and chipping cheap steel and having edges roll.

Also been trolling the thrift stores for old Woolrich and Filson Flannels and Jackets for the winter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought my first silver. Some ASEs, and various bars.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Shot my new S&W Shield and my Rossi 92 .357.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Two hours of ditch digging.  Didn't have the spade shovel with me and could get very far down because of the rocks.   What a good, cheap workout.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have a greenhouse yet but have been looking into making some small greenhouse tunnels this next season to get my seeds started earlier.  The blueberries and blackberries were in gallon containers so they'll be alright this winter.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 12:03:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Scored a couple more Plumb USA made axe heads to rehang.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#49]
started reading this thread and made it a subscription!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Two 8-round mags for my S&W M&P Shield 9 and 300 rounds of Fiocchi 158 grain JHP .357s for my Rossi 92.
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top