Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 149
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Bought 7 more tan MFT mags from Academy @ $7.69 a piece. Not outstanding mags but I've yet to have one fail, Nothing bad, nothing exceptional. They just work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Finished up a lid I made for my Olicamp hard anodize Space Saver cup. I made the lid from the bottom of a 1lb. coffee can, a piece of aluminum flashing, and a stainless steel split ring. I used the flashing to make a loop and secured it to the lid with a rivet from a Tandy Leather rivet kit.

It's not a perfect fit but it'll do a good job to reduce boil times. (The slits around the perimeter of the lid were so I could spread the rim so it'll fit on the cup.)

I also cleaned up a couple Dietz kerosene lanterns, trimmed the wicks, and tested them out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Closed out my LLC and now I have some already taxed cash.
Small Yamaha genny.
Fill some holes in the pantry.

The next chore is consolidating handguns.
I promised a member pictures of my wife's Beretta 84 and I have some other handguns to streamline.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#4]
After my order of 20 Lancer trans-FDE 30rd mags, I counted up what I have.

Since I also counted up most of my 5.56 ammo.

I've decided that it's enough. I have no need to be looking at mags or ammo any time soon. Knowing when you've reached you goal and continuing on to the others has been difficult. I've ended up way over my goals, and even caps if I had established maximums. I've just had trouble tracking what I have and still having trouble not buying more, as certain things become the focus and you get used to ordering them.

For Black Friday, etc...

Bought about 1500rds of Fed M855 for only 33 cents per round! Haven't seen that since before Obama.

Bought another S&W M&P Bodyguard, with a FDE frame. Need another pocket carry gun to help ensure I have one avaiable.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:49:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Bought a cam pin to finish my latest AR15 built and a couple trigger/hammer pins for the next one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Was at work, and good idea fairy hit, and I ordered a bit more ammo.

1k rounds of Geco .380 Auto. Should be good, and need it for the Bodyguard I ordered the other day. Will sell a couple boxes of it to family.

100rds of IMI 5.56 match 77gr. Since having the barrel issue with the MWS, I'm going to test my 5.56 LMT barrels.

40rds of GGG 7.62 NATO-spec M80. Going to test it out. Even though I have about 3k of the MEN762 now, I want to see how it does.

A big one.... 200rds of Fed GMM 168gr. Was a great deal at just barely over $200. It was the match ammo the MWS seems to group the best. Should have figured and not wasted money on anything else, though will continue testing for acceptable cheaper alternatives.

MWS will go on the back burner until the new scope gets here, except I still need to clean the barrel out really well and do a proper break in.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Black Friday and Monday I bought Level IV armor/carrier and new molle items to attach.  Got a Specwar 556k.  Got an Aimpoint Carbine Optic, Magpul rear sight, 10 pmags.  Bought another 200 rounds of 223 from AE.  Bought Quikclot, Israeli compression bandages, sutures, and other medical supplies.

Starting to get to the end of the must haves, now getting more of it would be great to have.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Kind of a big prep, yet cheaper than most orders I've been placing.

Got a ton of small parts from Rock River. I think BCM and RRA small parts are supplied by the same source, and my old RRA rifle has been good.

Anyway, counted up what small parts I have, and ordered a bunch more so I have about 5 of everything. Detents, springs, pins, etc. Goal: being able to fix all the breaking down AR's during a doomsday thing. Don't worry PSA people, I bought extra extractor parts!
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Added 6 16oz bottles of Black Seed Oil to the medicine cabinet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally got a cheap method of monitoring my county's P25 system (RTL-SDR dongle) working! Better intel/situational awareness without breaking the bank. Fortunately only LE ops channels are encrypted - even LE dispatch is in the clear.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Found out I do have a no shit allergy. Never been allergic to anything in my life till the doc gave me Septra for a really bad cellulitis condition on my forearm. Cold chills, massive sweating, 103 temperature, shaking so bad I popped my back. Lasted for three days. Had to get another antibiotic shot in the hip for the next three days straight to clear up the cellultis and the allergic reaction to Septra.

No sulfa antibiotics for me ever again.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Bought 2 packs of Zip fire starters and a hundred round box of 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Got a new deep freeze now have 2. Got sales on 4 turkeys and 3 hams. With h the 150lbs of deer and elk should be good for the year. Got 5 boxes of ammo for the boys new 6.5 creedmoor. 2 cases canned veggies and about 60 bars of soap.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a little Emberlit collapsible stick burning stove.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Ordered 1250 Hornady .38 148 grain HBWC bullets for reloading .38 Specials. I paid using a Cabela's gift card and Cabela's bucks, and used a $5 shipping code, so I'm only out of pocket $9.79.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#16]
still doing the usual stuff. guns, ammo, food, fuel, etc.

the big thing though is we just dropped attempting to buy the house. after 6 months its apparent the sellers are not really wanting to move.   so, we went to plan B, which actually is probably the best plan. we are going to build a house on my 15 acres. we just started working on it about a week ago, we have a contract started with a local company, and they have been out to look at our site, and everything is looking good. the project should start in the next few months as we get selections and paperwork done.

basic plan is to have a 1200sq' house,  bedroom, with a concrete 8'x12' vault / storm shelter / panic room built into it next to the master bedroom. prepper stuff will be that vault / shelter, natural gas stove, hot water, and furnace, with a wood burning fireplace as another back up. also a whole house natural gas generator. as well as hardened entry doors / door frames, with tough doors and locks, hardened bedroom door frames with solid core doors, and heavy duty locks, possibly 3/4 plywood in master bedroom walls, a alarm system, and cameras on all 4 corners of the house, each entry door, and living room and kitchen. and finally a driveway alarm, signaling for vehicles / people walking / driving up the driveway.

its a HUGE deal for us, and FINALLY after 4 years of dicking with recovering from a divorce, I'm at a place where I can build a house ! which would STILL be unattainable if not for investing in my land projects over the last 4 years. the equity I have in the land now is 100% allowing this project to move foreward.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
still doing the usual stuff. guns, ammo, food, fuel, etc.

the big thing though is we just dropped attempting to buy the house. after 6 months its apparent the sellers are not really wanting to move.   so, we went to plan B, which actually is probably the best plan. we are going to build a house on my 15 acres. we just started working on it about a week ago, we have a contract started with a local company, and they have been out to look at our site, and everything is looking good. the project should start in the next few months as we get selections and paperwork done.

basic plan is to have a 1200sq' house,  bedroom, with a concrete 8'x12' vault / storm shelter / panic room built into it next to the master bedroom. prepper stuff will be that vault / shelter, natural gas stove, hot water, and furnace, with a wood burning fireplace as another back up. also a whole house natural gas generator. as well as hardened entry doors / door frames, with tough doors and locks, hardened bedroom door frames with solid core doors, and heavy duty locks, possibly 3/4 plywood in master bedroom walls, a alarm system, and cameras on all 4 corners of the house, each entry door, and living room and kitchen. and finally a driveway alarm, signaling for vehicles / people walking / driving up the driveway.

its a HUGE deal for us, and FINALLY after 4 years of dicking with recovering from a divorce, I'm at a place where I can build a house ! which would STILL be unattainable if not for investing in my land projects over the last 4 years. the equity I have in the land now is 100% allowing this project to move foreward.  
View Quote

If I had it to do over I would have had the contractor pour a concrete pony wall on the circumference with the slab. I built one after the fact and the labor and time was not worth it. Knowing that stray rounds won't be an issue below 36'' is.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I have switched the dogs to some expensive food that makes life happy and after reading the ingredients realise that they eat better than I do.
So I added 150lbs extra today to the pantry and space willing I plan on getting two years worth in rotation and worse case I can fall back on it and feed them rabbits.

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, garbanzo beans, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have switched the dogs to some expensive food that makes life happy and after reading the ingredients realise that they eat better than I do.
So I added 150lbs extra today to the pantry and space willing I plan on getting two years worth in rotation and worse case I can fall back on it and feed them rabbits.

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, garbanzo beans, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
View Quote

What brand is this?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:37:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Amazon Product
  • Made with real smoked salmon
  • Supplemented with fruits and vegetables
  • delivers natural antioxidants to protect

It does cost more than that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Ouch,  Nice food though. Looking at 4 cups per day for my dog when full grown.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Bought a fire extinguisher and mounted it prominently in the garage. Need to get another one or two. Have one in the kitchen and two in the shop. Need another one in the basement.

Lots of people like fancy survival stuff (so do I) but something as simple as a fire extinguisher could be the difference between a minor inconvenience vs a major personal disaster.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Put two new Ruger trigger upgrades in both my Ruger 10-22 rifles. Also worked on our preps paying close attention to our water purifiers and medical supply's.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I used some CHRISTmas money and bought a couple more 5 gallon gas cans from Ohio Prep.  I was betwixt and between on whether I should spend it on gas cans or renew my ARFcom membership.  The cans won out.  Hopefully next month.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:15:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B0018CIP6K

It does cost more than that.
View Quote

Yeah, we have six dogs eating that brand. I wish it was under $20 a bag...

Preps-wise, we laid in more dog food, canned milk, canned veggies, candles, canning jars with lids, firewood, batteries, and spare parts for the blasters. Probably more importantly, we condensed  and improved organization of some long term storage items as well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ouch,  Nice food though. Looking at 4 cups per day for my dog when full grown.
View Quote

Avitar is a lazy 95lbs and eats 2.5 cups of this it was 4 of the previous one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Ours are all rescues, and yes they get better nutrition, and eat (and crap) less on the top shelf food. We have three American Longnose Mutts, two young black girls and one older girl who looks like a Border Collie x Lab mix and gets around great on three legs. We also have four senior  pure breed English Bulldog reduces. Yes, I know that adds up to seven (not six) but our oldest and first rescue Bullie son has serious food allergiests and eats Kangaroo and Lentil food that makes the other six dog's food look cheap by comparison...

What can I say? We're suckers and we love 'em.

Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Vortex PST 6-25x FFP just arrived. Been looking around out the window with it. It seems pretty nice. The illuminated reticle is great.

It's going on the MWS. Doomsday thing. Until then, will just keep it for pit bulls, bulldogs, and other breeds of peace. As they love to 'unexpectedly' maul people and small children.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Snowing like crazy here. Charged up both 12v batteries for inverter use if/when power goes out. Plenty of propane for heat, generators fueled if needed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Fired up the propane heater to keep the pipes in the garage from freezing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#31]
The Vortex PST is here. Key points is that it has an illuminated reticle and is a first focal plane etched scope.

This is a huge step towards the goal. Again, Iraq taught me you needed distance and to work at night to survive against a superior force.

I went driving tonight and parked in some parking lots. Looking across consecutive big parking lots at assorted stuff, the illuminated reticle makes a huge difference.

The first focal plane also means I can zoom it in and out all day long and the POI doesn't shift around like crazy. The reticle also has lots of markings, which change in size as you zoom so you don't need to be at a preset power or know how to convert it on the fly.

The reticle has quite a bit of markings to help avoid ghost holdovers. Better yet, if I miss and see the impact, I can put that spot of the reticle of the miss to correct for the next shot. All on the fly.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Vortex PST is here. Key points is that it has an illuminated reticle and is a first focal plane etched scope.

This is a huge step towards the goal. Again, Iraq taught me you needed distance and to work at night to survive against a superior force.

I went driving tonight and parked in some parking lots. Looking across consecutive big parking lots at assorted stuff, the illuminated reticle makes a huge difference.

The first focal plane also means I can zoom it in and out all day long and the POI doesn't shift around like crazy. The reticle also has lots of markings, which change in size as you zoom so you don't need to be at a preset power or know how to convert it on the fly.

The reticle has quite a bit of markings to help avoid ghost holdovers. Better yet, if I miss and see the impact, I can put that spot of the reticle of the miss to correct for the next shot. All on the fly.
View Quote
Gen 2?  I have one on order from Vortex, but the Gen 1 now says "discontinued". 

Got some new tires for my 4Runner, they came in handy for the snow we got the last couple of days. 
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Gen 2?  I have one on order from Vortex, but the Gen 1 now says "discontinued". 

Got some new tires for my 4Runner, they came in handy for the snow we got the last couple of days. 
View Quote

Gen 1.

I expect they'll keep shipping the gen 1 to retailers for a while. No wonder my gen 1 was such a good deal... about to release the gen 2.

Bought a slightly used Aimpoint T2 with a Larue mount off the EE for a good price. This will cut the optic weight in half from my Comp ML3 currently on the gun, which isn't a light gun.

I looked at the T1/2 vs the H1/2 and opted to stick to only the T series as better waterproof rating, and much lower cold temp for storage and operation. Living in Minnesota, with my perm residence up in northern MN, it needs to work in the coldest weather. Also, land of 10k+ lakes, so I'll take all the waterproof depth rating I can get. Like a super-freezing water world.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Bought a 5.56  Del-Ton upper with a 11.5 barrel from Primary Arms. Everything was furnished with the exception of a stripped lower. I bought a stripped lower and put it all together adding a Magpul backup rear sight, a Magpul sling and a Aimpoint pro red dot sight..  I can't wait for 2 and a half foot of snow to melt so I can get to the range to zero it in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Bought a user grade S&W 629 4" so I can sell my minty S&W 696 44sp. and free up some cash.
Also selling some other handguns to consolidate calibers and use the proceeds for Preps.
Bought a BK9 to replace the one I gave my son.
Also bought him a Maxped Jumbo in Brown for college and work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Refilling my tote. It's been dry since I moved.

Got all my buckets out of storage.

Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Expecting an ice storm so fired up the diesel generator. Ran fine. Plugged a grinder into it to make sure it's making power...and it is. Got an extra 10 gallons of diesel just in case it's needed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Had a short outage from the ice.  Generator worked great.  Biggest load is the well pump and it ran it without issue.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Replaced the trigger group in my X39 AR with a nickel boron enhanced trigger group dropping my trigger pull to 5lbs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Replaced the BCG out of an MRP with LMT's enhanced BCG.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Put 1/2 beef in the freezer. 
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Started physical therapy for my knee. Has two injuries. At least I can get this sorted before spring.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#43]
This weekend tested some gear winter camping and learned after years of infantry, backpacking, and mountaineering that I now probably need a cot to sleep well outdoors

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:03:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Got a GG&G tripod for my JP rifle and a POF flat trigger for another build.

Got two drones for property surveillance a month ago, finding all sorts of uses. I put a payload drop on one of them, led lights on another. Fun to fly too.

WSS
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Replaced the BCG out of an MRP with LMT's enhanced BCG.
View Quote

How's it shooting now days?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I got my ham license !   that's a pretty big accomplishment.

we will be moving into the new house in about 45 days, when that occurs I will be busy with non stop prep projects.

1. getting a ham radio base station, along with a mobile and handheld.
2. remodeling the large garage, closing in the carport side, which will give me approx. 12x30 storage space. one half, approx. 12x15 for ham radio, reloading and man cave, climate controlled, with a large shelf for extra canned food.  the other 1/2, 12x15 will be for storage of prep stuff, clothing, boots, tubs and totes of gear, and 5 gallon buckets of dry foods.
3. getting the house wired for a generator.
4. adding a ham antenna to the 40' tower that's already on the property.
5. adding water barrels to the gutter down spouts
6. adding a couple of 300 gallon fuel tanks for gasoline and diesel.
7. driveway alarm system
8. security cameras
9. garage has a kitchen area.... I will be updating that for food storage, processing dear meat, smoking meat.
10. garden area... going to add one.
11. insulating the garage

I will be busy, busy, busy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I got my ham license !   that's a pretty big accomplishment.

we will be moving into the new house in about 45 days, when that occurs I will be busy with non stop prep projects.

1. getting a ham radio base station, along with a mobile and handheld.
2. remodeling the large garage, closing in the carport side, which will give me approx. 12x30 storage space. one half, approx. 12x15 for ham radio, reloading and man cave, climate controlled, with a large shelf for extra canned food.  the other 1/2, 12x15 will be for storage of prep stuff, clothing, boots, tubs and totes of gear, and 5 gallon buckets of dry foods.
3. getting the house wired for a generator.
4. adding a ham antenna to the 40' tower that's already on the property.
5. adding water barrels to the gutter down spouts
6. adding a couple of 300 gallon fuel tanks for gasoline and diesel.
7. driveway alarm system
8. security cameras
9. garage has a kitchen area.... I will be updating that for food storage, processing dear meat, smoking meat.
10. garden area... going to add one.
11. insulating the garage

I will be busy, busy, busy.
View Quote

Slow down.  Don't start blowing money.  Some of those improvements can wait.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How's it shooting now days?
View Quote

That was the MWS. I also have two MRP's. It's not shooting, at the moment. I'm now back on straight nights at work, not by choice, and it gets dark about the time I wake up. That normally doesn't stop me though. I was waiting on a Vortex PST 6-24x which was way backordered. Well it's here now, sitting in the mount, and needs to get leveled out and all that. I brought it to the range today, was there with a coworker, but ended up shooting other stuff the whole time. Soon. Though I won't be doing much more than mounting the scope and zeroing. Also got the bore scrubbed out for the first time. Will be doing a break in, which requires warmer temps to clean it in between shots.

Wish I had more progress to report on it.

Did manage to complete disassemble two M&P's in past 2-3 weeks. One is a full sized 9mm. Has seen some good use with 'action pistol' matches and now two trips to Front Sight, so it deserved a good clean. Then just finished this morning the M&P40 which was an LE trade in gun. It was gunky inside.

That's a prep, as now I can tear them down to every last part. Whether to clean or replace parts, in a doomsday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Got a GG&G tripod for my JP rifle and a POF flat trigger for another build.

Got two drones for property surveillance a month ago, finding all sorts of uses. I put a payload drop on one of them, led lights on another. Fun to fly too.

WSS
View Quote

Being in CA, maybe you could use the drones to find a good place to hide your guns.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Paid off my car today! Been working on financial side of preps and getting rid of the car payment will help a lot.
Page / 149
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top