User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 28 of 38)
Page / 38
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 4:11:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By biere:
I have not checked in here in a long time.

@expy37 thanks for the pics and what are those 75 gallon rectangular tanks you put the kerosene in?  I have never seen something like that so gotta ask.

As for the super siphon, I am going to probably order another couple, the hose can get old and brittle and I blame the tn sun more than the gasoline I ran through it but either way going to look for an equal or better hose to redo the ones I have.

For something like my pickup I just put the gas can on the in bed tool box and siphon down to the tank, so don't need a very long siphon.  Might make a short one just for the ford.  Or not. 
View Quote
Hi Biere, we got two of these tanks from an auction a couple years ago.

They were used I think on a machinery service truck maybe for old oil storage in the field.

They went for ~$75 for both and it seemed no-one wanted them, because they had a small residue in the bottom and weren't 'pretty' enough to be tacticool.

We stripped and cleaned them, and bought epoxy paint but never painted them. Yet.

They hold kero for our two vented Toyostove heaters in the barn and container, and we fill the secondary red Harbor Freight abrasive blasting tanks from them.

I forget the capacity, it's either 65 or 75 gallons. There's a certification label on them with the manufacture's info and capacity.

They have a several standard 2" ports, incl on the bottom, and we put a H-F crank fuel pump in one to fill other containers. I have no idea what the big round 'lid' is on the top, it looks like there was another hole there maybe, that they closed, because the welding isn't the same as the rest of the tank welds. Or maybe it was a 'pedestal' to mount some sort of air driven transfer pump.

Speaking of auctions, we got an old pallet stacker/lift that was sitting in the mud and what I noticed it had a 2 stage mast, and a 12 volt hydraulic pump to raise and lower it.

It was clear to me we could make it look like new...

It cost less than the tanks and we restored it over a week or so and it's beautiful, just used it to support a rear axle assembly while I rebuilt it and exchanged it with our Ford BOV. It reaches to ~14 feet and that's why I bought it. Doesn't take up any space, much, and easy to roll around.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

You're not wrong, but most vehicles have a higher place to set the can.  
It might not be an "ideal" place, but if you're having to fill your vehicle out of a gas can in the first place, that could be considered a minor emergency.  

Most pickups you can set it on the edge of the bed.  Most SUV's can either be on the roof or the tailgate/rear cargo area.  
Cars can either be the roof or the trunk lid.  A floor mat, old blanket, sweatshirt, etc. can protect the finish on the vehicle's paint.  A short piece of rope and and tie-off on a roof rack would also work.  
On my Jeep Wrangler, I usually just put it on the flat fender flare or on top of my spare tire on the back.  

FWIW, I ain't holding shit if I can help it.  Any nozzles I buy are only a backup to the shaker siphon.  
As someone mentioned earlier, some nozzles won't even fit in the fuel-fill hole and trying to fumble around with a short spout while wrangling a 35+ pound brick around isn't my idea of a good time.  

The best thing you can do is take an empty can and then go experiment on your vehicles as to what works best.  Actually mount the spout on the can and see what angle/height you'd have to hold it.  A fuel nozzle is one thing, but the way some car bodies are curved, tilting a can up enough to empty it becomes problematic because the can will hit the side of the vehicle.  (Ask me how I know )
Better to find out now in the comfort of your own driveway rather than out in the boonies somewhere.  Some spare paracord wrapped around the handles with a shaker siphon rolled up and nested underneath the handles can go a long way to making life easier.
View Quote
99% of my transfer of fuel from can to vehicle is just gassing them up in the driveway either because I'm rotating stores, or just using gas from cans because making a trip to town for fuel is inconvenient. Getting a rug/mat etc is inconvenient as well, and I have no intention of sitting a can on top of my car/suv (sitting it on the truck bed isn't a problem though). I prefer a spout over the siphon, as a matter of fact, I hate the siphon. I currently use the siphon to get fuel out of my storage barrels and into the cans; I plan to replace the siphon with a better method, I just haven't had time to mess with it.

I guess this is a classic example of user preference...
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By SigOwner_P229:
99% of my transfer of fuel from can to vehicle is just gassing them up in the driveway either because I'm rotating stores, or just using gas from cans because making a trip to town for fuel is inconvenient. Getting a rug/mat etc is inconvenient as well, and I have no intention of sitting a can on top of my car/suv (sitting it on the truck bed isn't a problem though). I prefer a spout over the siphon, as a matter of fact, I hate the siphon. I currently use the siphon to get fuel out of my storage barrels and into the cans; I plan to replace the siphon with a better method, I just haven't had time to mess with it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Repairman_Jack:

You're not wrong, but most vehicles have a higher place to set the can.  
It might not be an "ideal" place, but if you're having to fill your vehicle out of a gas can in the first place, that could be considered a minor emergency.  

Most pickups you can set it on the edge of the bed.  Most SUV's can either be on the roof or the tailgate/rear cargo area.  
Cars can either be the roof or the trunk lid.  A floor mat, old blanket, sweatshirt, etc. can protect the finish on the vehicle's paint.  A short piece of rope and and tie-off on a roof rack would also work.  
On my Jeep Wrangler, I usually just put it on the flat fender flare or on top of my spare tire on the back.  

FWIW, I ain't holding shit if I can help it.  Any nozzles I buy are only a backup to the shaker siphon.  
As someone mentioned earlier, some nozzles won't even fit in the fuel-fill hole and trying to fumble around with a short spout while wrangling a 35+ pound brick around isn't my idea of a good time.  

The best thing you can do is take an empty can and then go experiment on your vehicles as to what works best.  Actually mount the spout on the can and see what angle/height you'd have to hold it.  A fuel nozzle is one thing, but the way some car bodies are curved, tilting a can up enough to empty it becomes problematic because the can will hit the side of the vehicle.  (Ask me how I know )
Better to find out now in the comfort of your own driveway rather than out in the boonies somewhere.  Some spare paracord wrapped around the handles with a shaker siphon rolled up and nested underneath the handles can go a long way to making life easier.

I'm not a fan of them either. I find them to be too slow. Basically use them in the opposite fashion and keep them for backup/spoiled fuel/or if I'm multi tasking. I haven't used my fixed nozzles since I first bought the cans tho.

I hate to keep giving the same recommendation but...
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:31:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SigOwner_P229] [#4]
Originally Posted By Mr_Smiley:

I'm not a fan of them either. I find them to be too slow. Basically use them in the opposite fashion and keep them for backup/spoiled fuel/or if I'm multi tasking. I haven't used my fixed nozzles since I first bought the cans tho.

View Quote
Your recommendation is duly noted... its just not in the budget right now. But the desire to have the swiss spout is definitely growing on me!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Your recommendation is duly noted... its just not in the budget right now. But the desire to have the swiss spout is definitely growing on me!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mr_Smiley:

Maybe look into these too as a more budget friendly option link
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Just picked this up on Sunday.

Attachment Attached File

$30, includes donkey dick.  I emailed them and asked if it leaked; she said she'd check and filled it with water.   But no leaks, and I can clean it out.

She also has a green Nato can, also asking $30, in Mt. Airy MD.  Here's the CL ad: https://frederick.craigslist.org/for/6123456203.html
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:41:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BensAssociator] [#7]
Which spout do I need for use with these cans I picked up? My Atlantic British spout does not fit. The breather tube on the AB spout seems to be the issue.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing against the last two posters, but for a few bucks more you can get a "water can" that you can count on and not something that you would see as wall art at some restaurant.   Funds should never be that tight if you are risking you and your family memebers safety.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:49:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Ohio Prep and Supplies is out of the 20L Nato spec cans and I didn't buy any.  Any other sources anyone knows?
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:01:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By hobbyist:
Ohio Prep and Supplies is out of the 20L Nato spec cans and I didn't buy any.  Any other sources anyone knows?
View Quote

Coleman's Military Surplus
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hobbyist:
View Quote
There's the usual Deutsche Optik, and Atlantic-British (roverparts.com). Old Grouch's Military Surplus (a member here) was the go-to guy a few years ago, but he has been out of stock for what seems like a long time. I don't know what the story is there. He had the prettiest RED cans. I was fortunate to get 4 of those.

@Garand_Shooter
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:03:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R2point0] [#12]
Originally Posted By Surf:
Nothing against the last two posters, but for a few bucks more you can get a "water can" that you can count on and not something that you would see as wall art at some restaurant.   Funds should never be that tight if you are risking you and your family memebers safety.    
View Quote
"A few bucks more" is different from 2x the price plus shipping.  There's nothing wrong with the old US "Blitz" style, just a different closure method.

Would I prefer new?  Of course.  But if the used can is in good condition, what makes it more inherently dangerous than new?
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:12:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By R2point0:
"A few bucks more" is different from 2x the price plus shipping.  There's nothing wrong with the old US "Blitz" style, just a different closure method.

Would I prefer new?  Of course.  But if the used can is in good condition, what makes it more inherently dangerous than new?
View Quote
Nothing...

Except--- there are various stories here abt folks getting these old cans and them springing pinhole leaks, etc...

This said, I have no issue taking advantage of sensible opportunities.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
There is a difference in a leaking water can and a leaking gas can.  If you can afford to have a leaking gas can in your garage, truck or whatever then go ahead with the junk can from craigslist.   One time loss of five gallons will pay for the difference in a new can and that is not even looking at the safety side of things.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm looking for a good quality hand crank fuel pump that will work with Sceptre and NATO MFC cans.

All of the pumps I can find are generally designed for some specific over priced can.  I already have a good collection of the above cans, so I really don't want to start over.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:14:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#16]
Originally Posted By back40:
I'm looking for a good quality hand crank fuel pump that will work with Sceptre and NATO MFC cans.

All of the pumps I can find are generally designed for some specific over priced can.  I already have a good collection of the above cans, so I really don't want to start over.
View Quote
Harbor Freight sells a smaller hand crank pump for kero and diesel that we have a couple of and work quite well and are low in cost.

They are a perfect size for a barrel or the rectangular tanks we picked up. Might make a 5 gallon can a little unstable and tip over, sort of like that Congressman was worried Guam might tip over if more troops were sent there.

This cast aluminum crank pump on the tank in the pix, came with the 40 gallon roll around tanks some of us purchased a couple years ago.

The squeeze bulb type my SO is making Moonshine with, are great to get a siphon started. They also work great for water and only cost a few $.

Note the little 12 vdc fuel pump hanging to the left of the red tank...  That might be useful to you...

I'm not sure I would use a hand crank pump for gasoline, considering the greater possibility and ease of ignition. If pains were taken to ground/bond everything together, I wouldn't be nearly as concerned.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate spot to ask, but I'll let it rip. 

I have 10gal of kerosene in my garage which I picked up last fall. It's for my kerosene heaters which I keep in the basement in case of power outage. My question is which cans are the best deal right now for the purpose of storing kerosene. I saw the Scepter MFC cans and they seem expensive, but without the problems that'll come along with metal cans. Any other suggestions, or better values out there? I want something tough to avoid damage in the garage. I'm actually thinking about storing them in a far off corner of my basement for accessibility in an emergency and because they would be less likely to sustain damage than in my garage. 
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate spot to ask, but I'll let it rip. 

I have 10gal of kerosene in my garage which I picked up last fall. It's for my kerosene heaters which I keep in the basement in case of power outage. My question is which cans are the best deal right now for the purpose of storing kerosene. I saw the Scepter MFC cans and they seem expensive, but without the problems that'll come along with metal cans. Any other suggestions, or better values out there? I want something tough to avoid damage in the garage. I'm actually thinking about storing them in a far off corner of my basement for accessibility in an emergency and because they would be less likely to sustain damage than in my garage. 
View Quote
For kero, that has relatively low vapor pressure and flash point, and since the cans aren't going to be banged around, the metal Jerry cans that are recommended here might be perfect and cost effective.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

For kero, that has relatively low vapor pressure and flash point, and since the cans aren't going to be banged around, the metal Jerry cans that are recommended here might be perfect and cost effective.
View Quote
Thanks for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I'm actually thinking of moving toward closed head pails for storage.

Rectangular HDPE

Round Metal

Significantly cheaper than Jerry cans.  Not made for rough use, but good for storage.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Rectangular HDPE

Round Metal

Significantly cheaper than Jerry cans.  Not made for rough use, but good for storage.
View Quote
They are fine, cost about $7 a 5 gallon pail at our supplier.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bit the bullet and picked up 2 new scepter mfcs off of ebay. They say they're new and the seller was highly rated. At ~$106/can they had better be amazing. Buy once, cry once, right? 
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Rectangular HDPE

Round Metal

View Quote
I wouldn't store higher vapor pressure fuel it them, like gasoline...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:34:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#24]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
I just bit the bullet and picked up 2 new scepter mfcs off of ebay. They say they're new and the seller was highly rated. At ~$106/can they had better be amazing. Buy once, cry once, right? 
View Quote
You will enjoy them, we use ours all the time...

They are the cans that get moved around, taken places, banged up, in the mountains...

The metal cans are primarily used for more or less stationary fuel storage and transfer...

We're still using the Scepters we bought for $19 each at a surplus store 10 years ago...
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 8:31:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I've pursued over this thread time to time over the last few years and have a couple questions:

I am looking for very good metal cans and spouts for storing gas and AV gas for long periods of time. I use PRI-G as a preservative for my gas. I will be fueling cars, hand held equipment etc. (spout matters)

I've looked at cans from the following places referenced in this thread: colemans, Atlantic British and Rovers North.

Is there a "best" combination of can and spout for my needs? Honestly I've gotten a little confused by US...NATO...German etc etc
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mr_Toyz:
I've pursued over this thread time to time over the last few years and have a couple questions:

I am looking for very good metal cans and spouts for storing gas and AV gas for long periods of time. I use PRI-G as a preservative for my gas. I will be fueling cars, hand held equipment etc. (spout matters)

I've looked at cans from the following places referenced in this thread: colemans, Atlantic British and Rovers North.

Is there a "best" combination of can and spout for my needs? Honestly I've gotten a little confused by US...NATO...German etc etc
View Quote
I've got cans from Deutsch Optik, Atlantic British and the Ohio Prepper place. All of them seem to be of extremely similar quality. I also have nozzles from all three, same thing.

I think all three nozzles are interchangeable....sort of.  If you put lots of pressure on differently matched can/nozzle while filling up I've gotten leaks (like resting the weight of the can on the nozzle when filling up etc). Otherwise they all seem to work with each other.

Oh, and if you're going to be filling small stuff get a 2.5 or smaller can. They're awesome.

I rotated out about half my stash today and actually thought to take a pic of it

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Scepter MFC that I got from Canada a few years back.  It was used when I got it and it had a slight gouge about 3/4 up on the side.  In the deepest part of the gouge, there is a slight pinhole or two that allow gas to weep out the side.  Do you guys have any ideas as to how to patch this?  Some sort of epoxy or JB Weld?  It needs to be something that can hold up against gas/diesel.

Thanks

Matt
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#28]
Originally Posted By Deadheadmatt:
I have a Scepter MFC that I got from Canada a few years back.  It was used when I got it and it had a slight gouge about 3/4 up on the side.  In the deepest part of the gouge, there is a slight pinhole or two that allow gas to weep out the side.  Do you guys have any ideas as to how to patch this?  Some sort of epoxy or JB Weld?  It needs to be something that can hold up against gas/diesel.

Thanks

Matt
View Quote
Hello Matt,

IIRC, the Scepter cans are made from HDPE, I looked on their site and couldn't find out for sure, it seems several years ago  I was able to ID the plastic on their website.

As far as the repair, it's likely more critical that you find an adhesive that is compatible with the plastic --as well as resisting fuel.

Some plastics aren't too compatible with adhesives...

A possibly better approach might be to 'weld' the plastic.

I had an RV tank we used for waste storage that broke due to the shipping container we live in in the mountains settling a few inches, and bought the larger Harbor Freight welder and used it to successfully repair the tank.

I had to play around a while to find the best filler to use...  I cut strips from a certain plastic bottle and those worked great.

It was pretty easy...

We have a couple old Scepter cans with some gouges that still work fine...

If you look on the can for the 'triangle' with a number in it and Google you will know the type of plastic.

I'm not near one right now so can't...
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks!  I will check tonight.  I see there are three different welders at Harbor Freight.  Hopefully the cheaper one will do the job once I figure out the plastic type.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Deadheadmatt:
Thanks!  I will check tonight.  I see there are three different welders at Harbor Freight.  Hopefully the cheaper one will do the job once I figure out the plastic type.
View Quote
I returned the cheaper one and got the most expensive one...

Just saying...

It may  not be cost effective to even buy one if the Scepter is the only thing it will be used for...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Just picked this up on Sunday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173228/00I0I-czwqozTzkZj-1200x900-210314.JPG

$30, includes donkey dick.  I emailed them and asked if it leaked; she said she'd check and filled it with water.   But no leaks, and I can clean it out.

She also has a green Nato can, also asking $30, in Mt. Airy MD.  Here's the CL ad: https://frederick.craigslist.org/for/6123456203.html
View Quote
The problem with those old GI cans is that water collects in the rolled seam at the bottom, rusts the can and the seam starts to weep fuel.  This even happens to otherwise solid cans that show no signs of abuse/rusting/pinholes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:23:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steve_In_29] [#32]

You will enjoy them, we use ours all the time...

They are the cans that get moved around, taken places, banged up, in the mountains...

The metal cans are primarily used for more or less stationary fuel storage and transfer...

We're still using the Scepters we bought for $19 each at a surplus store 10 years ago...
View Quote
The Scepters are darn near indestructible and I love mine, some of which I got much longer then 10 years ago.  

I recently purchased a house in NE AZ and behind the shed I found 3 Scepter water cans and 2 of the sky blue water containers from Walmart.  They had all been sitting there in the sun for years...the Walmart jugs were cracked and sun rotted into uselessness while the Scepters were basically good as new after I cleaned the dirt out of them.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Some plastics aren't too compatible with adhesives...

A possibly better approach might be to 'weld' the plastic.
View Quote
I just used Permatex Black on the gas tank on a string mower, the crack was about 4" long on the top, it seems to be working, I roughed up the plastic with a sand paper drill flapper thingie.

Rancher
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:16:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rockyriver] [#34]
With Harvey coming into Texas and Hurricane season here, Its time to get the fuel (Gasoline) storage cans ready.
I'm also concerned about world events and not having gas or fuel to be able to come and go as I please, So this is my answer.
I have been collecting fuel cans for over 20 years and I've collected quite a few.
I also have storage tanks to keep the fuel in once I bring it home. This is for Gasoline storage, should I want to store this much if the SHTF.
I keep some gasoline around, But not a huge amount. I also use when I store fuel non-ethanol gasoline and I have stored it 3 years or more without a problem.
I have always rotated out my gasoline that I do store.

Not all my jugs, But most of them. These are a combination of Blitz and Mid west gas jugs. All of these have vents and pour well with no glug glug.

105 gallon tank with electric pump and filter. Ready to be called into action if need be.

275 gallon tank with electric pump and filter. Ready to be called into action if need be.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:53:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bassackwards] [#35]
Originally Posted By Rockyriver:
With Harvey coming into Texas and Hurricane season here, Its time to get the fuel (Gasoline) storage cans ready.
I'm also concerned about world events and not having gas or fuel to be able to come and go as I please, So this is my answer.
I have been collecting fuel cans for over 20 years and I've collected quite a few.
I also have storage tanks to keep the fuel in once I bring it home. This is for Gasoline storage, should I want to store this much if the SHTF.
I keep some gasoline around, But not a huge amount. I also use when I store fuel non-ethanol gasoline and I have stored it 3 years or more without a problem.
I have always rotated out my gasoline that I do store.

Not all my jugs, But most of them. These are a combination of Blitz and Mid west gas jugs. All of these have vents and pour well with no glug glug.

View Quote
Are the older Blitz and newer Midwest cans the same?  

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
They are similar. But not exactly the same.
The threading on the mouth of the jug where the spout screws on appears to be the same.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Where's the best place to get Scepter type water cans nowadays?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#38]
What is the consensus on Blitz plastic cans? I picked up several in like new to severely sun faded condition for free-$10 each.  

I have an old Gott that is now white and must have been left over from my racing days in the 80s that is still functional.   
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 11:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Given my town has now been without gas for a week now (but have been able to get fuel as needed in neighboring towns), started looking to store a little more fuel (existing storage consisted of 4 cans than represented 1 refill of ranch equipment)

Well, probably not the best score ever, but managed to add a few Jerry Can's to my collection from Atlantic British.  I had noticed they had 20l on sale and a 4 pack on sale as well, but right before I called I saw the kicker-a banner saying free shipping (Lavor day sale on orders over $150). Ok, it was Tuesday, but tthey honored the web coupon.  8-20L, 4-10L, and a 5L inbound.  I want to use a coulpe for gas, most for diesel.  So far I have had no issues with diesel in the ones I already had-but curious if I need to reseal for Gas (or for diesel for that matter).

I have not decided on getting drums or not.  As it stands, this order represents a refill for my truck, my wife's car, my car-abet I suspect all the diesel will be used in ranch equipment and the gas will probably mow lawns or go fishing.  If I get drums, the Jerry cans will be transfer containers to fill the drums.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Maybe I could get some advice here.

I bought a few cans from Ohio Prep.  I tried to use my wavian fuel nozzle, from Old Grouch, on them.  

Holy crap was it really touch to get on.  

Anyone else have this issue?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By fighter443:

I bought a few cans from Ohio Prep.  I tried to use my wavian fuel nozzle, from Old Grouch, on them.  

View Quote
Yes several people are unhappy that they aren't real NATO spec cans.  Some were not properly lined either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote
I’m surprised you got it on at all, the one I tried wouldn’t take any of my spouts or adaptors.  At that point I already knew I’d be sending it back so I didn’t try and force it.  

As for options there’s always the super siphon.  If you still want a spout of some kind both Ohio prep and Deutsche optik (and there may be others) offer a spout they say fits their cans (both Polish) so that may work for you.

http://www.ohioprepsupply.com/jerry-can-spout/

https://deutscheoptik.com/flexi-jerry-can-spout.html
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I ended up with 12 cans total from Ohio Prep. , as well as 2 of their spouts and spare gaskets.

It appears there were 2 manufacturers of these cans that were supplied by them.
One of the manufacturers cans were not lined on the inside and the others were - both seem to be built pretty much the same though with the exception of the vent assemblies.
All of my cans were very difficult to open the first few times.

I have filled and emptied them all at this point and all hold fuel with no leaks at all - which is obviously the most important part !
They have been transported full and moved around full with no issues.

My only complaint , so to speak - and maybe it's the norm for these cans as I have always had old school U.S. cans and Scepters , is that I felt like I had to hold the latch on the spout when I was emptying the can.
I did not attach the rubber piece to the spout as I do not like that there is a possibility that it could come off ...
I am rough when emptying ... stick the spout in the hole and turn the cans over.
The spouts fit the cans fine though and did not leak from the seals when latched in place.
  I did order a different style spout from Atlantic British due to what I had mentioned above about the flexible piece separating - they say it won't and definitely seems like it won't due to how it is built much better.
This new spout locks up tighter and fits fine.

I am partial to Scepter cans - and the old school metal - however these Jerry cans are just as good in their own way.
Personal preference I suppose ...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#44]

Anyone have any experience with these ??
Looks like Blitz had produced these prior to going out of business - which after some reading on the subject shows how fucked up people , and the justice system , really are !!!

I had gotten a few really really !!  good deals recently on new Scepter cans and found these along the way.
Ordered some to see what they are all about - I imagine they don't have the vent and hole in the flange like the old ones do ? we will soon see.
The place I ordered from has , had , 74 in stock when I placed my order - if they are junk due to the spout / flange setup I will just send them back. If they are good I will be happy and order more - love the old cans and recently 3 of my old metal ones started weeping hence looking for options.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By bassackwards:
Yes several people are unhappy that they aren't real NATO spec cans.  Some were not properly lined either.
View All Quotes

I bought GELG cans from OPM and haven't had any issues with Atlantic British Wavian/Valpro spouts. All my cans take the AB vented spouts (both styles) without issues. I just tested one of my GELG cans with an AB flexible spout and dumped 5 gallons into the truck without spilling a drop.

I have also installed Wavian spout brackets and locking pins on the can without issues.  The locking pins are a bit thicker than the ones GELG used so they are a tighter fit in general but with a little determined wiggling they install fine and work as expected.

The GELG cans I have all came with stickers for the "not for fuel use" warning and appear to have some lining inside the can (but might just be OD paint) and the air vent channel for the vented spout. I don't know but I am curious if the GELG cans with issues are the ones that were stamped "not for fuel use"?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#46]
There is a post with numerous pics archived somewhere but I could not find it.  The ones marked not for fuel use were lined with something but the Swiss spouts would not fit at all. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ROMAD-556:

I bought GELG cans from OPM and haven't had any issues with Atlantic British Wavian/Valpro spouts. All my cans take the AB vented spouts (both styles) without issues. I just tested one of my GELG cans with an AB flexible spout and dumped 5 gallons into the truck without spilling a drop.

I have also installed Wavian spout brackets and locking pins on the can without issues.  The locking pins are a bit thicker than the ones GELG used so they are a tighter fit in general but with a little determined wiggling they install fine and work as expected.

The GELG cans I have all came with stickers for the "not for fuel use" warning and appear to have some lining inside the can (but might just be OD paint) and the air vent channel for the vented spout. I don't know but I am curious if the GELG cans with issues are the ones that were stamped "not for fuel use"?
View Quote
Ok, I think I have some info on this.  The link below shows the two styles of Gelg cans vs the Wavian. The pictures are in three or four posts a little further than half way down the page.  It does appear that one of them may be compatible with the Wavain spouts while one may not.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Holy-Moly-New-European-NATO-Jerry-Cans-for-19-99-Updated-in-OP-Dec-2-Back-in-Stock/5-1936798/?page=10
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:40:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#48]
Originally Posted By DieselII:
https://fwwebbimage.fwwebb.com/WO/Main/256832.jpg

Anyone have any experience with these ??
Looks like Blitz had produced these prior to going out of business - which after some reading on the subject shows how fucked up people , and the justice system , really are !!!

I had gotten a few really really !!  good deals recently on new Scepter cans and found these along the way.
Ordered some to see what they are all about - I imagine they don't have the vent and hole in the flange like the old ones do ? we will soon see.
The place I ordered from has , had , 74 in stock when I placed my order - if they are junk due to the spout / flange setup I will just send them back. If they are good I will be happy and order more - love the old cans and recently 3 of my old metal ones started weeping hence looking for options.
View Quote
We use some of the Blitz rolled seam cans..

See pix.

The issue I have with these is that they may leak at the bottom seam especially.  

See the stain next to the can, vs. the welded cans in the same pix.

Still good cans tho.

Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:45:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#49]
lol

Found this pix...

http://www.okoffroad.com/gifs/stuff/gascan-nato-2.jpg

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#50]
What is the consensus on Blitz plastic cans? I picked up several in like new to severely sun faded condition for free-$10 each.  

I have an old Gott that is now white and must have been left over from my racing days in the 80s that is still functional.   
View Quote
No opinions on the Blitz plastic cans?  I have accumulated about 20 of them, some free  
Page / 38
Tacked FUEL CAN ORACLE (Page 28 of 38)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top