Previous Page
Page:  / 3
Author
Posted: 12/19/2010 1:22:30 AM
[Last Edit: 12/19/2010 1:36:01 AM by Variable556]
TJ mentioned a while back in another thread that wallyworld had a new style of oil lamp, and I finally found them (Thank you TJ!). They just showed up as an entire endcap at my local wallyworld, so i figured I'd try some of them. In Arfcom fashion i bought four of them and may get more. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics, but I was in a hurry.

Lamp as packaged:

Lamp filled:

Lamp lit:

3/4" wick:

They also had three packs of wicks with them for like a $1.89 or something like that.

I tried out two of them for the last couple of evenings, and they seem to work just fine to me. I tried the lanterns they had in the camping section before, and the two I filled up leaked like crazy. While the lamps might not be good for outdoors, at least they won't leak since the bottom is one piece of glass.

I also tried kerosene in one of them this evening. It worked just fine––- except there was noticeably more smell. It'd be ok in a pinch, but I'm going to stick with the lamp oil ($4.97 for a half gallon at wallyworld) while there are still stores to buy it from.

I know these aren't Alladins or anything, but I was actually impressed for how cheap they are. Hopefully this'll help someone on a tight budget (like me) out with preps a little.
In what way will this augment my ability to "render inoperative armed opponents" and break things...? (Gotta stay PC for work... don'tchya'know....)
highstepper
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 1:52:55 AM
Nice!

Thanks!
fisterkev
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 1:57:15 AM
[Last Edit: 12/19/2010 1:58:22 AM by fisterkev]
What section were these in? Where is the lamp oil? I've looked all over the Walmarts in my area for this stuff, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?
DavidLewis
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 2:09:38 AM
We keep a couple of older versions of these on wall-shelves in the kitchen as functional decorations (with a Velcro hook dot on the bottom
mated with loops on the shelves to keep them from sliding off if bumped). They're the "go to" lights for immediate use when the power is out
for any length of time. No hunting for candles in the drawers, no wax issues, etc. Just grab the lighter from the counter next to them & light.

One easily provides enough light to eat; together, they illumninate the room fairly well. They're easily portable to other rooms, as well.

No, they're not Aladdins, but they're quick, handy, relatively small, & cheap. These get used more often than my Aladdins and other oil lamps
simply because of their handiness.

David

Tennessee Firearms Association

TFA Forum
RichR
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 2:37:09 AM
Nice! and nice review. Like the glass base. no-leak, can see the fuel level. Like a time machine.

We've got a couple old / antique oil lamps, white / milk glass, decorative metal wall brackets (a spike that goes up the middle of the glass), but don't have glass for wither. Will have to break them out and do some shopping around sometime soon.
Surf
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 4:46:01 AM
Been using two of these at dinner for over a year. Got them for the wife to show how romantic that I am......cough. it is a prep. Now stop in lawn a garden and get a gallon gas can to fill with lamp oil and a housewares for some matches and you are good to go for light.
SCHADENFREUDE - Hearing of the misfortune of an Obama voter related how any aspect of their life sucks because of Obama.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke
JLShooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 7:17:12 AM
Thanks!!! Wife is forcing me back to Walmart to pick up a few more last minute stocking stuffers for the kids later this morning. I'll make sure I grab a few to add to my preps.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" .
glock27bill
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 7:39:22 AM
Originally Posted By fisterkev:
What section were these in? Where is the lamp oil? I've looked all over the Walmarts in my area for this stuff, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

My Wallyworld decided to not carry lamp oil, and this is in a rural area of Central Virginia.

I bought some oil from Lehman's when I bought a few of those Deitz lanterns they had on sale.
Echo2
That's not a moon....that's a spacestation
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 7:41:39 AM
Originally Posted By glock27bill:

My Wallyworld decided to not carry lamp oil, and this is in a rural area of Central Virginia.

I bought some oil from Lehman's when I bought a few of those Deitz lanterns they had on sale.

Roanoke Valley View Wallyworld had them.....
That which does not kill me....only tries to kill me again.
1Grover1
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 7:48:19 AM
What kind of heat do they put out?
felrom
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 8:18:36 AM
What is the shelf life of lamp oil?
martinmayhem
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 8:20:46 AM
Where are they manufactured?
Those who beat their swords into plows will plow for those who don't.

When defending yourself and fighting agression, you must be more brutal than your enemy.
biere
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 10:50:13 AM
Last week my walmart had a spot for the lamp fuel but was all out. Previous week I got 2 of the half gallon sizes.

They had the metal screw on top that holds the wick on sale but it seemed like it would be for the old lamps.

Have not found any new lamps but since my wally world remodeled and then changed things up for the christmas stuff everything is screwed up.

I can't even find the canning jars right now over there.

I did not look this week, just hit a food city for food stuff and lucked out with some salmon packets on closeout due to no one liking that flavor. For half price I can handle it.

Most likely going to be made in china stuff, my two glass oil lamps from previous wally world stuff was made in china and while not astounding they work fine and do ok. Weakest point is a 4 point holder for the globe and a thin globe but my clumsiness has not destroyed em yet. One thing I like about older designs is they hold the globe a lot better.

DK-Prof quote
Please do not engage in personal attacks, even if they are correct.
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 11:18:53 AM
I wonder what other stores would sell lamp oil? Our walmart quit carrying it as well. I might have to go to hobby lobby or something of the sort to find lamp oil. The amish store would have a pretty high price on it.
whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: Matthew 7:12
Jabman
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 11:23:51 AM
Thanks OP.

Originally Posted By Surf:
Got them for the wife to show how romantic that I am......cough. it is a prep. Now stop in lawn a garden and get a gallon gas can to fill with lamp oil

LOL on the first part.

Will any blitz can do, or should one use the kerosene ones?

Originally Posted By biere:
I can't even find the canning jars right now over there.

At my local store, canning jars are only stocked seasonally (not now). I haven't seen them carrying lamp oil for a few years- have checked at a few in Houston and no luck.

Delta_666
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 11:31:00 AM
Originally Posted By batmanacw:
I wonder what other stores would sell lamp oil? Our walmart quit carrying it as well. I might have to go to hobby lobby or something of the sort to find lamp oil. The amish store would have a pretty high price on it.

might want to check a different walmart ours has an entire display in the candle section

David4327
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 11:36:28 AM
[Last Edit: 12/19/2010 11:42:51 AM by David4327]
Originally Posted By batmanacw:

Cabelas
fisterkev
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:23:19 PM
Home Depot and Lowe's both have lamp oil.
P400
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:38:20 PM
Sometimes Tractor Supply sells those as well, at least the one in my town does.

They are good lanterns for the price.

batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:39:38 PM
Home Depot and Lowe's both have lamp oil.

Thanks. We don't have a cabela's in my area. I will probably go pick some up later.
whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: Matthew 7:12
Cymro
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:49:06 PM
Thanks for the head's up. I'll see about grabbing a couple.

My walmart had lamp oil on sale recently. Don't know how widely that applies across this nation.
Tonto_Ohio
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:57:04 PM
Great information about oil and kerosene lamps can be found here. Recently there has been cases where kerosene isn't what it use to be - lower flashpoints in certain brands so they're saying to stay away from them.

Kerosene & Lamp Oil information

There are additives you can put into kerosene that 'takes the smell away'. We've found cinnamon, holly berry, peppermint and spruce. At one time I found a couple bottles of vanilla around Y2k and it's been used up since then. I've found them at Menards, Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor supply and even once at the local Walmart. Just never add the water based liquid potpourri smelling additives to it. It's just not the same stuff. Kero additive
this is the stuff I use Kero-Klean treatment I don't buy from this company since I can get the stuff locally for around $2.99 a 8oz bottle.

TomJefferson
OF Who Likes Guns
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 1:10:49 PM
The glass is not like the cheap lanterns, its not going to leak on you.

This time of year, these things are great. You get a Blue Northerner blowing through, besides the temperature drop, even heating your room, you get that chill. A single lamp in a room will take that chill right away.

Tj
"We prepare so we don't have to go to the Superdome!"
JLShooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 4:11:49 PM
My closest Walmart had one lamp, one bottle of oil and one spare pack of wick. Grabbed all three for right around $10. Thanks again for the heads up.
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" .
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 8:43:50 PM
The ashtabula walmart must have changed its policy. It had lamp oil.

I bought another walmart lamp for $6.97, two 3packs of wicks for $1.13 each, and two of the spare wick heads for $1.97 each. The lamp oil was $4.97 each half gallon. That is pretty darn expensive. I would love to find a source cheaper without having to go to kerosene. This lamp oil burns very nicely with a big flame before it smokes.

These lamps really are pretty impressive for the money. I had to bend the tabs holding the globe to get it straight and to sit all the way down. Not a big deal.
batmanacw
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/19/2010 8:49:18 PM
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
The glass is not like the cheap lanterns, its not going to leak on you.

This time of year, these things are great. You get a Blue Northerner blowing through, besides the temperature drop, even heating your room, you get that chill. A single lamp in a room will take that chill right away.

Tj

Any tips on trimming the wick? Mine exhibits a slight point on either side of the burner. Should I put a tiny bevel on both corners?
  Previous Page
Page:  / 3