[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 12:08:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#2]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Originally Posted By pwr2al4:
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Originally Posted By Coltman77:
Something that could kill bugs that cause various infections, from diverticulosis to strep throat to dental/oral problems?

I've done a bit of research and Cipro seems to be a good one...

Please share your suggestions, they are much appreciated!
If a medical professional came to this forum and asked - "What's a good "general use" (broad spectrum) gun?... you know the kind that will kill stuff.  I've been doing some research and it seems that a 12 gauge might be a good choice...  what do y'all think? "  what would you say to him???

I'd politely suggest to folks who make meaningless posts to a guy's thread who is legitimately seeking info, that GD is <<<THAT'A WAY<<<.

its not a meaninless post. its the most important post in  this thead so far. you guys are talking about dosing yourselfs with fucking cipro from a tractor supply store using dosing scales based on swine anatomy. are you all insanse?

You need to suck it up and find a doctor and explain to him that your going wherever and would like to have some meds alogn with you because your made up vacation to whateve rthird world shithole doesn't have reliable medical care.

'I heard Cipro is a  good one' wow. there just like taking skittles dont worry.

So I gather you haven't tried any of this???

No actually its quite the oppisite. I roll with more drugs than pzifer, pretty literally. Just off the top of my head I keep mostly all the major meds that have been covered, along with a bunch of 40 mil of  I.V. Cipro, streptomyocin, Bactrim Zithromax in case those havent been mentioned. xylocaine, lidocaine, lidoderm, topical lidocane

a bunch of atropine in bristas, a bunch of epi the same way, ADH/VP, amio, mag sulfate, k iodine, anzemet, and then all the standards as well, albuterol, O2, and I dk a ton of others, some for pain as well.

The big difference I guess is that besides the fact that I am legally allowed to administer these meds, and I know how to use use them and teach others how to do the same, the ones i use were courtesy of the NDPC and/or FEMA the MRC/OEM the Hospital or Dept of health. Or one of I guess a billion other agencies that all fall under the massive umbrella of MCI response teams.

The theory being that when you consider the fact that weaponized anthrax is some pretty funky stuff, those who are tasked with being around to help administer the correct drugs from the POD for say some horrible NBCi such as widespread anthrax release, probably will feel more comfortable responding to the call if they have the drugs already on hand to keep them alive so that they can be effective in carrying out their duties.

You guys are basically only talking about PO (oral administration) medications correct? and doing this during a time of crisis, while alone with no medical direction and often with no idea if you may happen to have an allergy to any one of these meds....

So while I absolutely agree that everyone should have access to their own stores of certain meds, why should I be any different than anyone else facing the same issues? many of which you are suggesting and I would have no problem if they were widely available to everyone, the idea of going about it in the way that most of you are is concerning because of the very real risks that are associated with some of these meds, not to mention the fact that you arent even going off label or out of country for them, Your going outside your species  which is well, not great if you can somehow get them from a Doc which imo isn't all that difficult if you are willing to spend a few hundred bucks.

How cheap is your life worth to you??
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for the recent talk on meds in SF
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
And we're off!

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Originally Posted By Rich_V:
Bump for the recent talk on meds in SF

What'd I miss?

The usual, where to buy (off shore pharmacies two locked again) how long do drugs last (two of those) etc.
Figure bumping to the top may help a few of the newer people.

Link Posted: 10/22/2012 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If ordering from ADC.. how do you know the pills were properly stored? Still effective and not old stock?
Link Posted: 10/23/2012 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BDA:
If ordering from ADC.. how do you know the pills were properly stored? Still effective and not old stock?

same as everything else - either you trust the best-by date or you don't

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 9:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BDA] [#9]
I was talking more about the quality of the drugs, made in india... storage in india, regardless of date stamp.. ect.. Just curious if anyone had feedback on using this companies drugs.

I turst the dates on stuff I get from say.. walgreens. But the ADC stuff seems an unknown.. hate to trust Indian made & stored drugs if other possiblities exist.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You are going to die eventually, don't fear it or it will consume you. Welcome it, cuz when it comes it will free you. But to keep yourself from breathing dirt prematurely, ciproflaxin, moxifloxacin, vancomycin.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 11:07:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By drmikeyj:
Start small, Penicillin for the price will do pretty amazing things.  Most people (except those with PCN allergies) respond well.  Why go for the gusto right away??  Save the big guns for when you really need them!

Yeah, ppl like like me will die if we get penicillin or any of its derivatives.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By OrangeLazarus:
Originally Posted By GoBlue:
Critique my purchase please. Shipment is on the way. Miss anything major for next order? Family of 4 (2 young kids). Basically looking for SHTF coverage but will bust out the fishmox for occasional strep the kids bring home to mom/dad

Amoxycillin 250mg qty 75
Amoxycillin 500 mg qty 75
Cipro 500 mg qty 120
Diflucan 150 mg qty 3
Doxycycline 100mg qty 460
Flagyl 400mg qty 40
Levaquin 500mg qty 40
Vermox 100mg qty 30
Zithromax 250 mg qty 24

Also, looking for advise on best storage option? I think most will be blister packed. Freezer seems to be the recommended path in the thread? does a foodsaver help?

Well you don't have TB covered... I'd add Rifampin and Isoniozid..    For meningitis ... Rifampin will also wipe out a number of  other organisms  like Neisseria meningitidis,  strepococci, and MRSA.   It's a good antobiotic to have around if you suspect meningitis as it passes the brain blood barrier very well.

Also you need other drugs like Ampotericin B for fungi... and I'd add Ivermectin ( yes it works in humans also) for parasites.

I hope this is sarcasm.

First, how would you diagnose tb? Can't be bloody sputum as pneumonia and even viral bronchitis can cause bloody sputum! You'd use all your tb supplies on people with tb and probably kill a couple with the therapy.

And if you need amph b and can't get to a critical care setting, may as well make peace with your maker.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By phidoux:

Duggan,

here is a link where you can get Zithro......just received mine yesterday from them.     https://alldaychemist.com/906_Zithromax-500-mg

A BIG thank you to everyone who posted information for those of us not trained in the medical profession.  I salute all of you who share your knowledge with us, not just about this topic but other in

the SF.  I hope in the future I will have gained the necessary training and experience to post helpful information for others as all of you have.  Again, thanks everyone!!  Forgive me if I didn't post this correctly?!

http://www.qualityprescriptiondrugs.com/pricedetail.aspx?drugname=Azithromycin&affiliate=1174

bulk..
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#14]

its not a meaninless post. its the most important post in  this thead so far. you guys are talking about dosing yourselfs with fucking cipro from a tractor supply store using dosing scales based on swine anatomy. are you all insanse?

You need to suck it up and find a doctor and explain to him that your going wherever and would like to have some meds alogn with you because your made up vacation to whateve rthird world shithole doesn't have reliable medical care.

So making fraudulent statements in an attempt to get prescribed drugs (and possibly also committing insurance fraud if you use it to get the discount) is a good idea as opposed to buying some legal over the counter meds that are exact same thing?

yeah....you'll pardon my not taking any of your posts seriously ever again.

Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#15]
how strong is Lidocaine 5% Ointment ? how much of a effect will it have?
 can you buy stronger?...
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Zantac.

The acid reflux med. it also suppresses anaphylaxis.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OhioLongRange:
 can you buy stronger?...

Meh.... its OK... works well for topical numbing before a tattoo or similar, but does not trully deaden... just takes the edge off. Not really going to do much for you, as you cannot put that into a large wound.

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
a friend who is a nurse anesthetist said he would get me some IV's and show my how to do them, along with a bunch of other supplies... i had a bunch of random suchers and he went threw them and told me most were non useful, and the ones that were, the needle he said was HUGE... so he is going to get me what i need, along with some dermabond
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Reconsidering the listed shelf-life of prescription medications

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#21]
anyplace with better shipping $$ other then ADC?

25$ is a tad steep.. for a 3$ zpac... i was going to get 5 or 6 zpacs...
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 2:39:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#22]

Originally Posted By Dragynn:

So making fraudulent statements in an attempt to get prescribed drugs (and possibly also committing insurance fraud if you use it to get the discount) is a good idea as opposed to buying some legal over the counter meds that are exact same thing?
yeah....you'll pardon my not taking any of your posts seriously ever again.
That is complete supposition on your part.

That being said, making plans to take a trip to a foreign country is not a crime.  Asking a doctor to write you a script is also not a crime provided you do not do so through fraud deceit or manipulation, which is.  
Regardless importing any perscription medication from a source outside teh united states is absolutley a crime, it is a criminal act as per both the FDA and DEA.
Possession of prescription medication  without a script is also a crime
defrauding any medical professional regardless of occupation in order to acquire perscription medication is illegal, that includes DVM's .
Finally there is the judged vs carried argument if you really feel you need to be serious about all this.
Im sure the QC for Swine IM  injectibles is absolutely top notch, compared to the stuff the FDA oversees.
Also sincerely hope you arent taking any of my posts seriously ever. nothing I say should ever be taken seriously or literally or ever be mistakingly construed as advice as any kind.
That being said, good luck with the Indian  manufactured Heffer meds.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 2:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#23]

can you buy stronger?...

What do you intend to use it for?

Again respectfully but your asking questions that have no andwer. how strong is  a 9mm, how much effect will it have? that's what your asking don't you see.  . what kind of effect will it have. well I know for a fact that it can be fatal, it can also ahve aabsolutely zero effect. define stronger? do you mean  more concentrated... yes but that is only transdermal,  how much surface are you going to cover, will it be correctly applied including  tagaderm .

again what is your predicted use? as a local? to numb an injection site, to stich a wound, to treat a neuraglia??

are you familiar with the contraindications of the med. the dosing information ? etc. like I said this drug can and has been fatal when used incorrectly.  by incorrectly I basically mean by people who don't even know what effects it will have.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I have no idea what ADC is but in an effort to be helpful, your spending about 400% to much money for a Zpack which is simple good old (Azithromycin) for the sole reason that is has gained popularity commercially and has become a boutique med if you will. im not gonna try to do homework ot help you potentially hurt yourself, but go look at what is in a zpack and the dosages and then buy that for pennies.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#25]

a friend who is a nurse anesthetist said he would get me some IV's and show my how to do them, along with a bunch of other supplies... i had a bunch of random suchers and he went threw them and told me most were non useful, and the ones that were, the needle he said was HUGE... so he is going to get me what i need, along with some dermabond

you can definitely teach yourself how to suture correctly if you wanted to put the time aside, closing up a wound is not especially difficult, doing it well however is an entirely different story.

that being said, if you don't want to take the time to learn and practice I would definitely recommend instead just carrying a bunch of dermabond if you have access or just superglue and a surgical stapler instead.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#26]

I have no idea what ADC is but in an effort to be helpful, your spending about 400% to much money for a Zpack which is simple good old (Azithromycin) for the sole reason that is has gained popularity commercially and has become a boutique med if you will. im not gonna try to do homework ot help you potentially hurt yourself, but go look at what is in a zpack and the dosages and then buy that for pennies.

ADC = https://www.alldaychemist.com

3$ for a 6pack seams like a good price, its the shipping that sucks...

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Enigma102083:
Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Ciprofloxacin, and Vancomycin.  If what you got can't be covered by one of those, you're pretty much fucked.

Is there an oral Vanco?  I'm in healthcare, and most of our patients that are getting Vanco for MRSA are getting it in IV.  Z paks work great for most things, but expensive.  Stocking up on basics like amoxicillin or even tetracycline are cheap, and will help in a lot of cases.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:00:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gasdoc09] [#28]
Originally Posted By manowar669:
Penicillin, Amoxicillin, Ciprofloxacin, and Vancomycin.  If what you got can't be covered by one of those, you're pretty much fucked.

Is there an oral Vanco?  I'm in healthcare, and most of our patients that are getting Vanco for MRSA are getting it in IV.  Z paks work great for most things, but expensive.  Stocking up on basics like amoxicillin or even tetracycline are cheap, and will help in a lot of cases.

Vancomycin is not absorbed when taken orally.  It's used in oral form sometimes to treat c diff enterocolitis specifically because it isn't absorbed, stays in the GI tract, and kills off the stuff inside the gut.

I fully understand the thought process behind stocking drugs for emergencies when doctors aren't available.  Not trying to pick on you specifically; vancomycin has been brought up a few times in this thread.  But your question is a good example of a non-obvious issue concerning the use of a prescription medication, and should give everyone pause when it comes to ordering these medications for their fish.

Vancomycin can range from useless if given orally, to dangerous if given the wrong way intravenously (ie Red Man Syndrome).  Be careful, be safe.  "Do no harm" should guide the medical efforts of non-doctors too.  

There are many other drugs with similar bits of dangerous weirdness that simply can't be deduced with intuition or casual exposure through working in healthcare.  I know the self-reliant crowd has a wide streak of skepticism when it comes to edumacated people telling them they don't know what they don't know ... but please be careful.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#29]
To add to the vancomycin discussion, lots of people think it is this magic bullet, that if it can work on MRSA, it must work on everything or will work better. DO NOT fall into this mindset. Use the right tool. Vancomycin is a specific tool that should be used for a specific problem. If you take it for the wrong thing, not only may it not work, but it can increase resistance. This is why Z-paks don't work well anymore. Don't take antibiotics for viruses. Don't take the wrong antibiotic. If you are stocking up antibiotics for in case of apocalypse, know what to use them for. If you're buying them to avoid going to the doctor now, that's really really dumb unless you know what you're doing, what you're treating, and what interactions might happen.

Resistance is a huge problem and it getting worse.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#30]
i have had strep 3 times 1n the last 6 months... i figured i would stock up on zpacs to make it easier... am i wrong?
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 1:48:34 AM EDT
[#31]
i have had strep 3 times 1n the last 6 months... i figured i would stock up on zpacs to make it easier... am i wrong?

Most people who think they have "strep" have a viral pharyngitis.  It's next to impossible to convince them of that though ...

Azithromycin will treat strep throat if it's caused by strep.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 7:43:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich_V] [#32]
Originally Posted By manowar669:

As others have mentioned vanco is not used orally except for C diff GI infections. The only orally bioavailable antibiotic that has a similar spectrum to vancomycin is linezolid (Zyvox). It is VERY expensive and comes with it's own set of serious side effects.

If you are concerned about MRSA then either  SMZ-TMP  (Bactrim) or doxycycline will cover skin/soft tissue infections. Systemic MRSA (bacteremia) infections or complicated soft tissue infections are not something you treat at home.
If you want the full treatment recommendations then download the ISDA guidelines for MRSA
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By gasdoc09:

Most people who think they have "strep" have a viral pharyngitis.  It's next to impossible to convince them of that though ...

i was tested... my wife is a MA for cleveland clinic family med.. around sick kids all day... she is like typhoid marry ....

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#34]

i was tested... my wife is a MA for cleveland clinic family med.. around sick kids all day... she is like typhoid marry ....  

Strep is better treated with β-lactam based antibiotics  (penicillins and cephalosporins). The only benefit with azithromycin is once daily dosing.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Strep is better treated with β-lactam based antibiotics  (penicillins and cephalosporins). The only benefit with azithromycin is once daily dosing.

Azithromycin is the best anti-viral medicine out there.......
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ipsilateral_7:

Keflex is saddened to hear this.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Hope this is sarcasm?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ConfusedState:

Hope this is sarcasm?

<––––––- pulmonologist. Yes...sarcasm.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:44:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#40]

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember I used to be able to purchase the entire test kit from Kodak, if your not gonna go to a doc its a silly diagnosis to be able to try to make on your own.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#42]
I almost facepalmed myself literally to death just now until I read your screen name

Originally Posted By ConfusedState:

Strep is better treated with &#946;-lactam based antibiotics  (penicillins and cephalosporins). The only benefit with azithromycin is once daily dosing.

Hope this is sarcasm?

<––––––- pulmonologist. Yes...sarcasm.

Link Posted: 11/12/2012 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#43]
are you guys familiar with this particular pharmacy site?

Discussions on off shore pharmacies tends to get threads locked. I hope we can avoid that here.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:40:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pwr2al4] [#44]

are you guys familiar with this particular pharmacy site?

Discussions on off shore pharmacies tends to get threads locked. I hope we can avoid that here.

That was not my intention, it was meant to be rhetorical since almost all the off shore places with that much for sale are usually all scams.

I will edit  it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 10:03:18 PM EDT
[#45]

I need to read through this and stock up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/11/2013 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Oh, and Levaquin (levofloxacin).  Expensive but probably the closest thing to a safe, once daily, broad spectrum, oral antibiotic ... I never visit a 3rd world country without taking some.  And this isn't medical advice.

I know I'm replying to an ancient post but as someone who just was on levofloaxcin for four days and had to stop due to severe side effects I will never take it or another quinolone again. It had a big warning about possible tendon rupture and tendonitis in the elderly and people also taking steroids. I'm a healthy 25 year old male and by day four got tendonitis so bad in my right ankle and my foot started to cramp up I could hardly walk or drive. Took my last dose sunday before discontinuing and just today I can start to walk normally. I'm really lucky I didn't rupture a tendon, my joints are still popping in my ankles and knees, and who knows how long I am at risk of tendon rupture since many people report tears and side effects months later. Also had some CNS side effects and bad restlessness/insomnia on it. Far from totally safe and side effect free.

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/levaquin/TV5SBN517R8BRN5K3

http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/levaquin/TONDJE7VOA3H95IMO

Link Posted: 2/21/2013 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Duggan:
If only they sold Zithromax for fish.

they do, it's azithromycin
Link Posted: 2/21/2013 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag!!!!
Page / 18
Top Top