BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MK262:

Doxy has been generic a long long time. No one can purchase exclusive rights because the patent protection expired long ago. Any drug company is free to make it if they wish.

Secondly, according to my Epocrates app, (60) 100mg tablets of doxy retails for $34.99, around .50 cents a pill. Capsules are around $1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gogetumnow:
Originally Posted By jadc69:
Originally Posted By 4JOINTS:
Question, the 100mg powdered packets of doxycycline, same as capsule that everyone is always "out of stock" ?  And I take it, that you'd just drink with a glass of water?

Thanks

me personally I would not use it. In pill or capsule form I can check the imprint and description of the pill to find the exact lab that it came from. The powdered fish meds NO.. Not knowing that it came from a FDA approved production facility means that it could have contaminants or "other" impurities.

Doxy is a tough one.  Domestically produced Doxycycline is very expensive now, on the order of around a buck per pill if you can find it.  I suspect that somebody stateside has procured the exclusive rights to make it and are cashing in.

There is some Thai produced Doxy out there in the wild for around .32ea however I doubt you'll find it in the pill identifiers.  However, my fish have been very satisfied with blister pack Thai products. Although I have no experience specifically with the Thai produced Doxy, I would have no reservations purchasing it.

Doxy has been generic a long long time. No one can purchase exclusive rights because the patent protection expired long ago. Any drug company is free to make it if they wish.

Secondly, according to my Epocrates app, (60) 100mg tablets of doxy retails for $34.99, around .50 cents a pill. Capsules are around $1.

not sure where you guys are shopping but online prices for doxy I found to be around 13 cents ea... if you are paying a buck then you are WAY overpaying.. as far as availability.. every place I looked they had them in stock.   Doxy 100mg 500 count $64.99
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#2]
For everyone saying the drug shelf life extension plan being taken down is some huge conspiracy by the medical industry and just parroting what certain "survival doctors" are saying, have you even bothered to look for it?

http://ofcaems.org/ds-Stability_Profiles.pdf
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#3]

not sure where you guys are shopping but online prices for doxy I found to be around 13 cents ea... if you are paying a buck then you are WAY overpaying.. as far as availability.. every place I looked they had them in stock.   Doxy 100mg 500 count $64.99
View All Quotes
Question, the 100mg powdered packets of doxycycline, same as capsule that everyone is always "out of stock" ?  And I take it, that you'd just drink with a glass of water?

Thanks

me personally I would not use it. In pill or capsule form I can check the imprint and description of the pill to find the exact lab that it came from. The powdered fish meds NO.. Not knowing that it came from a FDA approved production facility means that it could have contaminants or "other" impurities.

Doxy is a tough one.  Domestically produced Doxycycline is very expensive now, on the order of around a buck per pill if you can find it.  I suspect that somebody stateside has procured the exclusive rights to make it and are cashing in.

There is some Thai produced Doxy out there in the wild for around .32ea however I doubt you'll find it in the pill identifiers.  However, my fish have been very satisfied with blister pack Thai products. Although I have no experience specifically with the Thai produced Doxy, I would have no reservations purchasing it.

My prices were quoting retail pharmacy prices... When you buy them legally with a prescription.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

Thanks

Would you be so kind, to share some of the sources, i'm in need of some asap!  THANKS
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Would you be so kind, to share some of the sources, i'm in need of some asap!  THANKS
View Quote

I'm curious where everyone is getting them affordably also... looking to stock up for the whole family just in case, and some of us have penicillin allergies unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#6]
do your research and buy accordingly... you do know what antibiotics they can take dont you??
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Before using these, you should do some research on C. diff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
In difficult times, things will certainly bad enough for that females preppers with no soreness and irritation that a yeast infection delivers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
If you're asking about a minimalist set of drugs to keep for a SHTF scenario, my wish list would be as follows.  This is the stuff I'd take myself if I were hiking off into the middle of nowhere... and these are chosen with an eye towards cost savings.

Cipro:  Great for most gram-negatives (think intestinal flora).  Covers invasive diarrheas (salmonella, shigella, E-coli), and UTIs.  NOT a good choice for pneumonia, as it has very little gram-positive coverage compared to the "respiratory quinolones" (Levaquin, Avelox, etc).  Great oral absorption.

Doxycycline:  Covers a lot of atypical bugs, including all the Zoonses you're likely to pick up from ticks out in the woods (Lyme, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, etc).  Also treats Cat Scratch Disease (Cipro also works).  Doxy is also an excellent drug for Pneumonia.  The only downside is that it makes you photosensitive... so stay out of the sun.  Doxycycline Hyclate is also dirt cheap... don't buy the Doxycycline Monohydrate... that's VERY expensive.

Amoxicillin:  Dirt-cheap gram-positive coverage.  Covers strep, and can be a fair choice for sinuses.  Will even treat the occasional UTI (though augmentin or ampicillin are probably preferred... the former is very expensive, and the latter is dirt cheap and may be an acceptable substitute for Amoxicillin).  Also treats even partially-resistant pneumonias and ear infections in high doses.

Flagyl:  Covers anaerobes.  Several posters have mentioned it being used in conjunction with other antibiotics for Diverticulitis, and they are correct.  Levaquin/Flagyl is a common cocktail for Diverticulitis... but your Amoxicillin/Cipro/Flagyl would be acceptable as well.  you have to add the Amoxicillin to the Cipro because Cipro lacks the gram-positive coverage of a "respiratory quinolones" like Levaquin.

If I had to cut it down to the bare minimum, and include only oral antibiotics, that's what I'd take.

ETA:  I just realized that I've committed a grievous oversight.  I didn't throw in anything about parasites (roundworms, tapeworms, hookworms, etc).  They're not generally an acute life-threat like some of the other infections we're discussing, but in a SHTF scenario, your nutrition is going to be tenuous enough without a large parasite load sucking up your hard-won vitamins and calories.  In that vein, I'd suggest including some Vermox or Albenza.
View Quote

This is a great thread and offers some very useful information in planning for the worst.

Question for the abx pro's - you mention combining one of the quinolones with Flagyl for complete coverage for diverticulitis, but I am curious if there would be any contraindications to using Flagyl alone if that is all you had access to? I understand you are only getting the anaerobe coverage, but could it do the job in a pinch? Or would there be a concern for a more resistant infection later?
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Diverticulitis is polymicrobial, meaning you have to cover multiple bugs.  Flagyl alone misses gram negatives, and gram positives (like enterococcus)
View Quote

Thanks TGM, I appreciate the info. So...would it be safe to assume a patient taking Flagyl alone and showing improvement from a mild case of "suspected" diverticulitis probably did not actually have diverticulitis?

In a situation where there is no conventional diagnostic testing, lab work, CT scan, etc... to verify the diverticulitis, I am thinking most treatment would revolve around clinical presentation and pt. history.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2014 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#13]
What about Ivermectin for parasites in humans?

TRG
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 5:53:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#14]
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:

TRG
View Quote

I think it's OK. A few here will likely know for sure.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

View All Quotes

TRG

I don't think it is widely used here in the States, but I've worked with medical missions groups overseas who gave it to lots of folks. It seemed to be well-tolerated, but it tastes awful. We've had hypochondriac team members dose themselves on the way home from Africa and they confirm that it is really terrible tasting stuff no matter what you try to chase it with.

FWIW, it's not a great wormer for humans. For most worms other than tapeworms either albendazole or mebendazole are better drugs. For tapeworms praziquantel is used. Ivermectin has good activity against some worms (ascaris and strongyloides). Our biggest use for it was for scabies (human body mites) for which it is a one-dose treatment. It's also got some utility against some oddball tropical parasites like filarial worms, but these are things you'll never see in the States.

Here's an old piece from AAFP about using ivermectin for scabies: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0915/p1089.html

(Disclaimer: I'm not a doc.)
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:37:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone ever used this company before?

Antibiotics
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NightSniper:
Has anyone ever used this company before?

Antibiotics
View Quote

That looks pretty good actually... your med history is reviewed by a doctor, and then he approves your order and sends you the stuff once paid.

This would be the way to go for most people IMO (if legit).

-ZA
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know whether it has something to do with its antibiotic resistance, or some other virulence factor, but a MRSA cellulitis will be more painful than a simple staph infection. Pain is always a relative/subjective thing, but again, that's part of the art.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#19]
keeping this one going...
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I read through the first 5 or 6 pages, then a few in the middle.  

Consensus is: Keep in dry, dark, cool air tight location and these should last for a good while.  

My question is: would getting some of those "oxygen absorbers" help prolong the lifespan of some of these pills?
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 3n1gm4:
I read through the first 5 or 6 pages, then a few in the middle.  

Consensus is: Keep in dry, dark, cool air tight location and these should last for a good while.  

My question is: would getting some of those "oxygen absorbers" help prolong the lifespan of some of these pills?
View Quote

They won't hurt but not really needed. Store them in your freezer in air tight bottles and your done.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By red_on_black:

I don't think it is widely used here in the States, but I've worked with medical missions groups overseas who gave it to lots of folks. It seemed to be well-tolerated, but it tastes awful. We've had hypochondriac team members dose themselves on the way home from Africa and they confirm that it is really terrible tasting stuff no matter what you try to chase it with.

FWIW, it's not a great wormer for humans. For most worms other than tapeworms either albendazole or mebendazole are better drugs. For tapeworms praziquantel is used. Ivermectin has good activity against some worms (ascaris and strongyloides). Our biggest use for it was for scabies (human body mites) for which it is a one-dose treatment. It's also got some utility against some oddball tropical parasites like filarial worms, but these are things you'll never see in the States.

Here's an old piece from AAFP about using ivermectin for scabies: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0915/p1089.html

View All Quotes

TRG

Ivermectin is used in humans; I prescribed it last month. It is the antihelminthic of choice for strongyloidiasis. S. stercoralis is endemic in the Southeast US.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Neosporin has 3 broad spectrum antibiotics, that cover a good range of bacteria, and will right a few resistant strains. If you mix a small amount with warm water it can kill bacteria.Like maybe a gram of neosporin.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#24]
And keep alcohol. something strong. A high bac can help kill bacteria.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bucksh00ter:
Neosporin has 3 broad spectrum antibiotics, that cover a good range of bacteria, and will right a few resistant strains. If you mix a small amount with warm water it can kill bacteria.Like maybe a gram of neosporin.
View Quote

None of the three drugs in Neosporin is well-absorbed in the gut if taken by mouth. Most of it will go straight through you, which is a good thing because those drugs are also pretty darn toxic compared to the available alternatives.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]

None of the three drugs in Neosporin is well-absorbed in the gut if taken by mouth. Most of it will go straight through you, which is a good thing because those drugs are also pretty darn toxic compared to the available alternatives.

View All Quotes

Can someone suggest a good downloadable antibiotic-to-infection reference?  I've found plenty of sites with infection types + suggested course of treatment and alternatives, but would love to have something I can store locally and/or print.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:20:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:43:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Just buy a copy of Sanfords Guide To anti microbial therapy.  It's worth the coin.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By D_J:

Can someone suggest a good downloadable antibiotic-to-infection reference?  I've found plenty of sites with infection types + suggested course of treatment and alternatives, but would love to have something I can store locally and/or print.

Just buy a copy of Sanfords Guide To anti microbial therapy.  It's worth the coin.

Thanks!  Have or have wish-listed several medical treatment books, but needed this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#30]
I am wanting to start stocking up on antibiotics. I have looked at alot of vendors and the Doxy seems to stay out of stock in pill form. I found that on ebay there are a lot of vendors that sell it from overseas.

Are these legit antibiotics?

Here is a link to one. I left it cold on purpose. If this is against the rules then please remove it. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUATIC-DOXYCYCLINE-100mg-100-COUNTS-AQUARIUM-ANTIBIOTIC-FISH-TANK-AQUA-DOXY-/171804042793?hash=item280051a629
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Smithy:
I am wanting to start stocking up on antibiotics. I have looked at alot of vendors and the Doxy seems to stay out of stock in pill form. I found that on ebay there are a lot of vendors that sell it from overseas.

Here is a link to one. I left it cold on purpose. If this is against the rules then please remove it. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AQUATIC-DOXYCYCLINE-100mg-100-COUNTS-AQUARIUM-ANTIBIOTIC-FISH-TANK-AQUA-DOXY-/171804042793?hash=item280051a629
View Quote

The domestic producer of Doxy has really jacked the prices up on it over the past few years.....at least compared to most of the overseas sellers. And the supply seems to be hit or miss.

I've had really good luck with ebay seller "aquabiotics". He also has an online store at aquabiotics.net.  He has doxy for good prices although it's not domestically produced. Fortunately my fish have never needed Doxy so I cannot comment on it's potency, but the blister packs he sells look legit.  Much more so than from the stuff you see from Thailand as referenced in your cold link. I purchased some of that once and it looks really....generic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:49:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#32]

The domestic producer of Doxy has really jacked the prices up on it over the past few years.....at least compared to most of the overseas sellers. And the supply seems to be hit or miss.

I've had really good luck with ebay seller "aquabiotics". He also has an online store at aquabiotics.net.  He has doxy for good prices although it's not domestically produced. Fortunately my fish have never needed Doxy so I cannot comment on it's potency, but the blister packs he sells look legit.  Much more so than from the stuff you see from Thailand as referenced in your cold link. I purchased some of that once and it looks really....generic.
View All Quotes

It prolly IS ---generic...

And will work just fine...

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes

Most likely. Most generics that I'm used to though have some kind of pill marking.  These had nothing. Just plain yellow pills with a white center.

More than likely they're good to go.... just not something I'm used to seeing.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought doxycycline from these folks: Aquabiotics.  I think it was from Thailand.  I had occasion to use it personally and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ALKVA:
I bought doxycycline from these folks: Aquabiotics.  I think it was from Thailand.  I had occasion to use it personally and it worked fine.
View Quote

How do you test to see if it is fake?
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By slankford:

View All Quotes

LC-MS and/or H NMR is what I use.

Most people will not be able to tell real from fake so it's a crap shot. For what it's worth all of the ABX I have purchased from various online sources came from US or 1st world manufacturers and all tested correctly for purity and drug ID. The further afield you go in supplier (i.e. China, India) the more cautious you should be.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Rich_V:

Most people will not be able to tell real from fake so it's a crap shot. For what it's worth all of the ABX I have purchased from various online sources came from US or 1st world manufacturers and all tested correctly for purity and drug ID. The further afield you go in supplier (i.e. China, India) the more cautious you should be.
View All Quotes

Lol. Yeah, those machines are easy to access for the general public.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:

View All Quotes

Correct but there is really no other way to do what was asked, there is no field expedient way to verify an ABX.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Correct but there is really no other way to do what was asked, there is no field expedient way to verify an ABX.
View All Quotes

Other than if you get well...

But HEY!

That's like all the anecdotal reports re Stabil.

Don't mean Nuthin...

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 7:00:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Careful there EXPY, someone is likely to take your suggestion seriously.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 6:32:22 AM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

I can't think of any antibiotic to infection reference guides off the top of my head, you may find info or references on CDC website or NIH that will be more specific than WebMD or something like that. I would say get the F.A. Davis drug guide, the most current one if possible. You can find them on eBay, amazon, half.com, or even Barnes&nobles. The drug guides have valuable info, from pharmacological action, to classification, cost/availability, also incompatibility to other meds or herbs. It's a valuable tool. It also comes in a combo kit with a tabers manual(medical diagnostic handbook), and lab/diagnostic test handbook. The tabers would be a nice information tool, but unless you have the ability to run lab tests the test handbook is pretty much a paper weight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#42]
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#43]
I have a young cat with an upper resp inf. I have treated with tetracycline for a week with no change. The tetra was due to be thrown out in Feb of this year but I assumed it was still good. I know it isn't to be used after date. The Cat was not responding after treating several in the past with it with quick success. I switched to amox and in 2 days the cat is much better and I suspect will recover quickly. Not sure why, but perhaps the drug lost its strength. I tossed it a month early. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 6:53:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#44]
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
I have a young cat with an upper resp inf. I have treated with tetracycline for a week with no change. The tetra was due to be thrown out in Feb of this year but I assumed it was still good. I know it isn't to be used after date. The Cat was not responding after treating several in the past with it with quick success. I switched to amox and in 2 days the cat is much better and I suspect will recover quickly. Not sure why, but perhaps the drug lost its strength. I tossed it a month early. Thoughts?
View Quote

Doubt it...

Might have been viral and the illness ran it's course.

Modern tetra is likely good longer than we are...  If stored optimally.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:31:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ponykilr] [#45]
http://www.drugs.com/tetracycline.html

Throw away any unused tetracycline when it expires or when it is no longer needed. Do not take this medicine after the expiration date on the label has passed. Expired tetracycline can cause a dangerous syndrome resulting in damage to the kidneys.

I have read this many places.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ponykilr:
http://www.drugs.com/tetracycline.html

Throw away any unused tetracycline when it expires or when it is no longer needed. Do not take this medicine after the expiration date on the label has passed. Expired tetracycline can cause a dangerous syndrome resulting in damage to the kidneys.

I have read this many places.
View Quote

It's wrong re modern tetracycline...  

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 3:51:13 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Bench-NMR in the Chem Dept FTW

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#48]

I can.

You want Sanford's Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy.  That is the standard ER desktop reference for infection+Abx therapy.  (known somewhat humorously as "Sanford and Son")

Available on Amazon.  Well worth the twenty bucks.  Link
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jordysoso:

I can't think of any antibiotic to infection reference guides off the top of my head, you may find info or references on CDC website or NIH that will be more specific than WebMD or something like that. I would say get the F.A. Davis drug guide, the most current one if possible. You can find them on eBay, amazon, half.com, or even Barnes&nobles. The drug guides have valuable info, from pharmacological action, to classification, cost/availability, also incompatibility to other meds or herbs. It's a valuable tool. It also comes in a combo kit with a tabers manual(medical diagnostic handbook), and lab/diagnostic test handbook. The tabers would be a nice information tool, but unless you have the ability to run lab tests the test handbook is pretty much a paper weight.

I can.

You want Sanford's Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy.  That is the standard ER desktop reference for infection+Abx therapy.  (known somewhat humorously as "Sanford and Son")

Available on Amazon.  Well worth the twenty bucks.  Link

Sanford sucks. Not user friendly at all.

This is what you really want.

http://www.amazon.com/Antibiotic-Guide-FACEP-Brian-Levine/dp/1929854374/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416326257&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=emra+2015+antibiotic+guide
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Assuming both are available, is there any reason not to stock Augmentin instead of Amoxicillan?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
Assuming both are available, is there any reason not to stock Augmentin instead of Amoxicillan?
View Quote

Augmentin is just Amoxicillin with the addition of clavulanic acid to overcome bacterial resistance caused by penicillinase.

Using Augmentin for routine ear infections or strep,  instead of amoxicillin, is often not needed. It's used if Amoxicillin fails. I also use it for sinus infections and it's first line for dog bites.

The only reason not to stock it would be because someone had a specific allergy to Augmentin.

If stocking for shtf scenarios, I doubt you'd be worried about using the lowest needed antibiotic to avoid creating antibiotic resistance.

Bottomline, Augmentin is stronger, and can be used for everything Amoxicillin can be, it's just not required for most routine ear and throat infections.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top