Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 77 of 83)
Page / 83
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
A buddy wants a holster made with the kryptek highlander pattern on the inside so you see it when the holster is empty. I know the front side of the patterned sheets are not as smooth as the back, is it rough enough to chew on his stuff?
And is the gun coming in and out gonna eat away at the pattern and make it look like shit after awhile? I know I've seen holsters with the pattern on the inside but just want to check.

Thanks again for he help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By smullen:

Thanks for posting the Hybrid.. I have wondered what the back would look like...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By smullen:
Originally Posted By Beken:
Originally Posted By Metcalf:
If someone gets this thread locked I will NOT be happy. I started it years ago to spread knowledge, not business! If you have moved into a business that is great, I wish you the best. I hope you continue to share your knowledge. I am sure 90% of the makers on here have FAR surpassed my skill. Please don't ruin a great resource for knowledge on this subject.

Thank you
Metcalf

I want to personally say thanks for starting it!  While I did end up selling/giving a couple of holsters away, I don't do it anymore, and the amount of knowledge contained in this thread is mind blowing.

With that, I am sure it has all been talked about here, but my old thermo-forming layout centered around:

-Electric griddle (I found it to be more controllable and consistent than a toaster oven)
-Press-  Wood sandwiching multiple layers(depends on a knife or gun) of blue 10mm "exercise mat" from Walmart(cheap, excellent density, rebound and durability for .06, .08 and even .12 thickness) just remember... drape it quickly, apply significant amount of pressure, and no peeking!
-Heavy duty heat gun
-Patterns and tools/jigs that made life easier... like a leather edge beveler for both leather and kydex work.

And of course motivational pics- .12 belt clips, .08 shell, 8-9oz leather back with 303 stainless metal parts(screws, finish washers, t-nuts).

http://i.imgur.com/eH16LvC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zlAWq1P.jpg

Thanks for posting the Hybrid.. I have wondered what the back would look like...

Back in the day I really valued leather quality.  Depending on your leather source the flesh (tan in pictures) side may or may not be as evenly sanded.

Also the t-nuts have a super short spike(1/8" I think) but required that I cut the barrel down to fit the leather thickness... which was a MAJOR pain, and I never came up with a really good solution for it.  Screw lengths need to be correct to prevent them from protruding and digging into you (very easy to do with a set of wire strippers with the screw cutter).

Some hybrid manufacturers finish out the backside with neoprene, leather, or some other material.  I always wore an "wife beater" undershirt so the fact that the t nuts were exposed wasn't an problem, and being stainless, no issues with rust here in TX.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By seejay3558:
A buddy wants a holster made with the kryptek highlander pattern on the inside so you see it when the holster is empty. I know the front side of the patterned sheets are not as smooth as the back, is it rough enough to chew on his stuff?
And is the gun coming in and out gonna eat away at the pattern and make it look like shit after awhile? I know I've seen holsters with the pattern on the inside but just want to check.

View Quote

I think that it would be hard on the finish of his firearm. I also think that, eventually, it would probably wear through the pattern. That pattern is pricy (vs the solid colors). The frugal Irishman in me is cringing at the thought of going to the expense and then covering it up!
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
My local wally has this oven would it be good bad or otherwise for my needs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oster-Designed-for-Life-Convection-Toaster-Oven/35609013
View Quote

Take it with a grain of salt, but I had one of these. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chefman-16-Electric-Griddle/37847996

The only down side I found was that the surface directly above the heater element can cause problems if your temp is borderline too hot(trying to rush things), but once you figure the temp out for your individual griddle you can leave a piece of Kydex soaking for 5-10 minutes without melting it (depending on ambient temps a piece was typically ready to work after 30 seconds or so on each side).  The griddle gave me easy and direct access to the Kydex... so it was a simple and quick transition to the press.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

A watermark with your username would be acceptable.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By bobapunk:

I have to agree, putting company logos/names/etc into pictures of your holsters is crossing the advertising line. I don't want to lock this thread, so I'm going to ask everyone to put an end to the practice.

I will update the OP with a warning. Please be sure to read it.

I do appologize.

However, I have had my photos stolen and passed off as the work of others.

That is the only reason that I watermark them...  

A watermark with your username would be acceptable.

Thanks!

I have been a member here long enough that my username and "business" name are different.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Your concerns are all valid and should be relayed to your buddy.

If It were me, I would not build the holster like that because the end result will probably be disappointing.

With that said, the printing process that IFI uses for their Kryptex results in a pretty smooth and durable print side. If you inform your buddy about the potential for wear on his gun and the holster, and he is OK with accepting the risk, I would build it with IFI material as an experiment to see the result.

Link Posted: 6/20/2015 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO:

I think that it would be hard on the finish of his firearm. I also think that, eventually, it would probably wear through the pattern. That pattern is pricy (vs the solid colors). The frugal Irishman in me is cringing at the thought of going to the expense and then covering it up!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO:

You know, I honestly don't know that it would be any harder on the gun finish that normal, unless he got some dirt or mud stuck in it that he wasn't able to wipe or wash out (which would be my concern, smooth is easy to wipe clean with your shirt).

As for the camo finish, the pattern would definitely suffer under use as the gun wore on the high points of the texture... but being textured the pattern is probably "longer lasting" than if it was dipped on the smooth side and used regularly.  That said, the base Kydex color is typically pretty similar to the camo so "looks like shit" factor will be subjective.  Perfection, it will not maintain for long.

Like the frugal Irishman noted, all it takes is cash.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
What's a good way to etch/mark/stamp some kind of logo on these? I'm making a few holsters for the ARF teener crew and thought some kind of logo on the back would be cool.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
What's a good way to etch/mark/stamp some kind of logo on these? I'm making a few holsters for the ARF teener crew and thought some kind of logo on the back would be cool.
View Quote

Depends on what you're looking for and how much money you want to spend.  A Dremel/metal etcher/knife tip/sharp awl will let you scratch a name/signature/similar.  Painters tape/sticker/stencil and sandpaper will let you "etch".  A custom branding iron will let you melt a logo into the Kydex.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 1:51:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seejay3558] [#11]

Depends on what you're looking for and how much money you want to spend.  A Dremel/metal etcher/knife tip/sharp awl will let you scratch a name/signature/similar.  Painters tape/sticker/stencil and sandpaper will let you "etch".  A custom branding iron will let you melt a logo into the Kydex.
View All Quotes

A mini brandishing iron would be awesome. I could probaly make one and just heat it with the stove or bbq.

Looks like a pain in the ass but it'd be cheap.
http://m.instructables.com/id/Custom-electric-branding-iron/
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:26:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodge223] [#12]
You could always sign them or initial them with a wood burner. There was a time when Craftsman put their name/mark on there work to show that they stood by their product. Now a logo is just a logo is a logo.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I Started out using a Ink stamp with Stazon ink. Stamp was pretty cheap, think it was about $10, same with the ink.m The ink doesn't last all that long but it is OK. Yesterday I got a custom stamp that screws on to the soldering iron from brandingirons.com. Was a lot more expensive but works a lot better with permanent markings.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:59:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bobapunk] [#14]

ETA: Those are marked with "StazOn" ink.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone tried 3d printing their own custom brand?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I have made a taco type iwb similar to a galco triton, but I have never made a pancake holster. I would like to make one like this:

How do you form the opposing curves on the back of the holster? I am killing myself trying to find the jig or whatever one might use. Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:05:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Man, that's what sets the pros from the amateurs like me. The finish work in the sanding is awesome. Mine? Mine isn' so great and won't be until I get the proper tools. All I have/use is a dremel and a palm sander.
View All Quotes

I only use a belt sander, dremel, palm sander, and a LOT of hand sanding...

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bobapunk:

I only use a belt sander, dremel, palm sander, and a LOT of hand sanding...

View All Quotes

Nice. I just need to spend more time on my finish work all around.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]

What do you use as a backing for the g-code mounts when forming?  I'd really like to try to make a couple of these.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By TobyLazur:
What do you use as a backing for the g-code mounts when forming?  I'd really like to try to make a couple of these.

View All Quotes

It is just a 1/4" piece of composite board with some nylon washers, wrapped in blue tape:

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome, thank you.  Are your washers sized for the head of the screws you're using?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:30:42 PM EDT
[#24]

Awesome, thank you.  Are your washers sized for the head of the screws you're using?
View Quote

The OD of the washer is sized to create a recess for the threaded post to sit in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Howdy folks. A fellow on another forum is looking to add a cover flap to his kydex holster. He does alot of climbing/backpacking.
The holster is a dropped/offset from Comptac.
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Tell him to buy a Safariland with and SLS hood?

I don't think trying to add something like that to an existing holster would work out very well since specific blocking is needed for the mounting points....
Either that, or build him a new holster and incorporate a Bladetech or Safariland hood.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By bobapunk:[/b]
I don't think trying to add something like that to an existing holster would work out very well since specific blocking is needed for the mounting points....Either that, or build him a new holster and incorporate a Bladetech or Safariland hood.

He's wanting a flap cover for field use, not a retension device.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ferretray:
I don't think trying to add something like that to an existing holster would work out very well since specific blocking is needed for the mounting points....Either that, or build him a new holster and incorporate a Bladetech or Safariland hood.

View Quote

Then you are in the wrong thread. This is for DIY Kydex, not sewing flaps.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:43:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Wipeout] [#29]
If he is just looking for something to secure the pistol in the holster and not a retention hood, you can look at adding a piece of shock cord through an eyelet and over the top of the pistol. Then sew a piece of webbing to the shock cord to make it easier to grab with gloves on. I did something similar to this for a customer who rode motorcycles a lot at his request.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DAVE_M:

View All Quotes

No need to be a dick, dick.
Figured folks who make their own kydex equipment might have something to contribute on the issue.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seejay3558] [#31]
Here's a couple pics my buddy took of the holster I made him. Finally talked him out of having the Kryptek on the inside.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Figured folks who make their own kydex equipment might have something to contribute on the issue.
View All Quotes

What kind of flap does he want? I don't get it.

Like this but kydex?
" />
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Like this but kydex?
http://<a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/mitchellcj58/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps490ugy9t.jpg</a>" />
View All Quotes

Like this but kydex?
http://<a href=http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e36/mitchellcj58/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps490ugy9t.jpg</a>" />

He wants to add a covering flap (ALA a USGI type) to his kydex holster. For field use.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Little weight loss and I think maybe blocking for the pin on the frame and it would be in their like swim wear.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#35]
anyone made a holster for chained handcuffs? a sheriff buddy wants me to try...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:28:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By evnash:
anyone made a holster for chained handcuffs? a sheriff buddy wants me to try...
View Quote

Yep, plenty of people have. Just make it open bottom.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:00:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Ive struggled with light bearing holsters for a while, never could get the blocking just right. Yesterday I redid my blocking setup and this is the first one off the press. Think I may finally have it!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By flashooter:
Ive struggled with light bearing holsters for a while, never could get the blocking just right. Yesterday I redid my blocking setup and this is the first one off the press. Think I may finally have it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/flashooter/18E8263C-89FD-4EF9-B5DA-A5245A5A6522_zps65gjzftf.jpg
View Quote

Trim down the trigger guard/grip intersection a little so you don't bust a knuckle establishing your grip, and the same at the top back of the frame/slide so you dont catch the web of your hand. On a personal note I prefer the mag release un covered. Looks good other then those things.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know where to buy the heavy duty metal clips like Dark Star Gear and FIST holsters use?
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 5:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bcamp15] [#40]
Something I whipped up today. I wanted a trigger guard for my night stand gun and this is what I came up with. Ugly as sin, but it gets the job done.  It could use some fine tuning, but it'll work for now.

ETA: trimmed the part below the rivets to slim it up a bit
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Can anyone suggest a holster maker for some items.

The issue is time. I have 2 classes coming up and would like to get it at least a week ahead of time to run the gear thru the paces before I go. One class is at the end of September and the other in mid October. I usually use my serpa but it is not allowed in the classes. So I figured might as well do a overhaul on my gear.

I am going to need the following in black kydex, all with 1.75 belt loops, and red eyelets, If you have any. If not, gunmetal gray or lastly Black eyelets.

1. OWB holster for a Glock 17. Black kydex, neutral cant. Right handed for the 3:00 position

2. Double mag carrier, Glock 17 for 10:00 position. Bullets forward

3. Single mag carrier, Glock 17 for 1:00 position bullets forward

4. AR mag carrier. For the 8:00 position, bullets to the rear. one that can use both USGI and pmags
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Bcamp15:
Something I whipped up today. I wanted a trigger guard for my night stand gun and this is what I came up with. Ugly as sin, but it gets the job done.  It could use some fine tuning, but it'll work for now.

<a href="http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/bcamp151/media/20150809_155704_zpsppoayk3g.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r681/bcamp151/20150809_155704_zpsppoayk3g.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/bcamp151/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150809_165147_zpscagbkx3p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r681/bcamp151/Mobile%20Uploads/20150809_165147_zpscagbkx3p.jpg</a>
View Quote

Great job on the minimalist holster for weapon mounted lights. For the night stand function that'll work great. Are you going to attach the cord to anything solid or just rip it off with your weak hand?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:45:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Who was making the mora knives sheaths?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By battleshipgrey:

Great job on the minimalist holster for weapon mounted lights. For the night stand function that'll work great. Are you going to attach the cord to anything solid or just rip it off with your weak hand?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By battleshipgrey:
Originally Posted By Bcamp15:

<a href="http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/bcamp151/media/20150809_155704_zpsppoayk3g.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r681/bcamp151/20150809_155704_zpsppoayk3g.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/bcamp151/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150809_165147_zpscagbkx3p.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1362.photobucket.com/albums/r681/bcamp151/Mobile%20Uploads/20150809_165147_zpscagbkx3p.jpg</a>

Thanks. I just plan on ripping it off with my weak hand. It doesn't take much.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By celticfozzie:
Can anyone suggest a holster maker for some items.

The issue is time. I have 2 classes coming up and would like to get it at least a week ahead of time to run the gear thru the paces before I go. One class is at the end of September and the other in mid October. I usually use my serpa but it is not allowed in the classes. So I figured might as well do a overhaul on my gear.

I am going to need the following in black kydex, all with 1.75 belt loops, and red eyelets, If you have any. If not, gunmetal gray or lastly Black eyelets.

1. OWB holster for a Glock 17. Black kydex, neutral cant. Right handed for the 3:00 position

2. Double mag carrier, Glock 17 for 10:00 position. Bullets forward

3. Single mag carrier, Glock 17 for 1:00 position bullets forward

4. AR mag carrier. For the 8:00 position, bullets to the rear. one that can use both USGI and pmags
View Quote

IM sent
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:41:53 PM EDT
[#46]
what's the preferred thickness on Kydex for holster, sheaths and the like?  most of what i'm seeing is the .060..
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I like using .08.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Just made this one tonight.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#49]
and of you guys using a Vacum former and a Jig making Pancake Holsters, what are you doing for clips or belt attachments???  Post some pics if ya don't mind...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By GeorgiaBoy15:

what's the preferred thickness on Kydex for holster, sheaths and the like?  most of what i'm seeing is the .060..
View Quote
0.080 or 0.093 (for harder use duty/competition gear)

Page / 83
Do it yourself Kydex.... (Page 77 of 83)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top