Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2009 7:17:54 AM EDT
Preventative maintenance goes a long way in reducing the number of times that a prepper gets stranded.  22 months ago the fuel pump failed on my BOV while we were on a road trip, that caused me to change some things.  Then last week the fuel pump failed.  Thanks to some threads in GD I sorta got a heads up and was planning to replace the pump, but the pump died before payday, so I still had to go get the BOV from the highway.  So while teplacing the fuel pump I observed some corrosion that should be dealt with.

This was a great opportunity to teach some common skills to td1, so I thought I'd share.

Getting to the corrosion is as easy as getting to the fuel pump.

I now have the dedicated BOV tool box that saves time in getting the tools that fit the BOV

Then coach tax deduction on unbolting the bed

While I drink coffee from an "unbreakable" container in the spirit of all mechanicing and prepping

Lifting one side of the bed makes enough room to service the fuel pump.  The bed is not too heavy so I lift it and tax deduction sets a prop in place.  I used the BOV jack this time but have used a stick of 2x4 lumber too.

I then grease the ring that holds the fuel pump in the fuel tank.  I have it on good report that these things can be very difficult to service if corroded in place.

Done now reassemble the BOV, and get coffee

Lessons:
The dedicated tool kit helps, because I took the time to get the correct tools to fit my BOV: this kit is set up for Y2K + or- 2 GM 1/2 ton vehicles.
Kids like to help, but have short attention spans sometimes.
Keep a lid on the coffee to prevent contamination.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:56:20 AM EDT
[#1]
" Tax Deduction 1", truly awesome.  Mind if I use it?
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
" Tax Deduction 1", truly awesome.  Mind if I use it?

Go ahead; I got it from the bums on I20 thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top