[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:14:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 1:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tron999:
TGM, thanks for making this thread and keeping it updated. 6 years!

What do you think about this? It seems to have everything you like (HD, IP).

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-2TB-HDD%2c-2-1080p-Cameras-with-130'-Night-Vision-and-2-1080p-Pan-Tilt-Cameras-.product.100226688.html

I'm very comfortable building my own computers, and running my own wires. I definitely want POE for ease of installation (only running one wire). Will I save any money building my own camera system, including the DVR? It seems that with an $800-1000 price point, I won't save much after building a nice computer, putting in storage, and buying the cameras.
View Quote

"TGM, thanks for making this thread and keeping it updated. 6 years!"

Ditto!

He's done a fine job!

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
TheGrayMan, your thoughts on this camera?

Alibi 3.0MP Dome
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

Umm...

Totally no-brand.  For that kind of money, you could get a dahua or hikvision camera.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DallasLooterShooter:

Alibi 3.0MP Dome

Umm...

Totally no-brand.  For that kind of money, you could get a dahua or hikvision camera.

Is price the only difference between the Alibi, Dahua, and Hikvision?  Performance wise, would they all be similar (assuming they all have similar specifications)?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DallasLooterShooter] [#8]

I've never had any experience with the Alibi.  I can tell you the Dahua and Hiks are quality cameras... can't speak to the other.
View All Quotes

Alibi 3.0MP Dome

Umm...

Is price the only difference between the Alibi, Dahua, and Hikvision?  Performance wise, would they all be similar (assuming they all have similar specifications)?

I've never had any experience with the Alibi.  I can tell you the Dahua and Hiks are quality cameras... can't speak to the other.

Ok, thank you for the quick replies.  Friend of mine turned me onto Alibi and says he's had good luck with them.  Perhaps he's overpaying for what he's getting in terms of performance/capability.

Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Alibi 3.0MP Dome

Umm...

Have you used any of the new 4mp Hikvisions?  I read where the night images are better quality than the 3mp.

Also, have you had any issues with the IR's reflecting off the plastic dome causing a haze in the image.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I pulled the trigger today and placed an order with Nelly's. All Hikvision goods, 7716 NVR and a pile of cameras
Wish me luck.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Thought I would share this...

A few nights ago about midnight I was checking into the mountain cams looking at battery voltage, etc, and then scanned and saw something weird to the NE on the horizon.

It was a point of light and an area of abt 10 minutes of arc under was lit up, the distant mountains and a few low on the horizon clouds.

At first I was puzzled what it was, particularly looking at it with a PTZ camera, and being a little disoriented.

I watched it a minute and realized it was the moon rising above the horizon. I could see the Eastern Star about 10 degrees higher in the sky.

After 15 minutes and zooming in on it, its movement out of the frame was fairly rapid, it reminded me when I was abt 11 YO, a friend of my Father brought a Questar mini telescope to our house and we looked at the moon and had to keep adjusting the controls to track it.

Here's a picture right before the moon went beyond the elevation the cam can be pointed up...

The neat thing this is being watched many miles from the camera over a wireless bridge.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#12]
If a NVR and IP camera are both ONVIF compatible, does that mean they will be plug and play with each other?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anyone connected an external microphone to one of the Hikvision cameras? I just bought the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, but I'm still waiting on a poe switch before I can install it. It looks straightforward to connect a microphone, I'm mostly looking for recommendations on which mic to buy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#17]
Originally Posted By Altoids:
Has anyone connected an external microphone to one of the Hikvision cameras? I just bought the DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, but I'm still waiting on a poe switch before I can install it. It looks straightforward to connect a microphone, I'm mostly looking for recommendations on which mic to buy.
View Quote

Depending what you're trying to achieve, I've had good luck using cheap PC desk mics.

Need to enable a bias voltage in software for electret mics.

Have bought a couple 'quality' ones, Shure and some imports, to install outside in the mtns, some in a parabola, to listen to sounds of animals [bears] and also longer range security.

Some cameras can trigger on audio thresholds.

Be careful of legalities...

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't some states prohibit recording audio with video? Or does the fact that you might have signs posted warning of video surveillance exempt you? I would rather not advertise.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:42:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#19]
Waited for the full moon and used the same PTZ cam to take this pix...

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#20]
So I am trying to figure out where I want to put a camera.  my first one I want to have for the porch to start out with and add on as I am able to.

I wasnt sure if I should put one in location #1 or location #2?  #1 would be able to see someone walking up to the door but someone could still see it.  if I used location #2, it would be unnoticable or the most part until it's too late.  I was also thinking of placing one in location #3 too but not sure.  maybe a combo of #2 and #3?

I also dont know what type of camera would be best?  dome or bullet?  maybe a dome or the porch and a bullet for under the easement?    or any other suggestions?  I was planning on Hikvision cameras using POE

this pic is from last year before our house was done.  I wish I would have had this planned out before construction so I could have had the Cat cable run.  ugh...  

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#21]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Iguana775:
So I am trying to figure out where I want to put a camera.  my first one I want to have for the porch to start out with and add on as I am able to.

I wasnt sure if I should put one in location #1 or location #2?  #1 would be able to see someone walking up to the door but someone could still see it.  if I used location #2, it would be unnoticable or the most part until it's too late.  I was also thinking of placing one in location #3 too but not sure.  maybe a combo of #2 and #3?

I also dont know what type of camera would be best?  dome or bullet?  maybe a dome or the porch and a bullet for under the easement?    or any other suggestions?  I was planning on Hikvision cameras using POE

this pic is from last year before our house was done.  I wish I would have had this planned out before construction so I could have had the Cat cable run.  ugh...  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Iguana775/20150330_183724_zpsfxshymp5.jpg
View Quote

Do all three! I don't care if somebody sees the cameras. They are deterrents. If a potential burglar spots a camera and then moves on to another target, then my cameras have done their job. I would much rather have prevented a break-in than stealthily recorded one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#23]
What direction does the front of the house face?

ETA:  South?  East?
View Quote

faces southwest.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By beavo451:

Do all three! I don't care if somebody sees the cameras. They are deterrents. If a potential burglar spots a camera and then moves on to another target, then my cameras have done their job. I would much rather have prevented a break-in than stealthily recorded one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beavo451:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Iguana775/20150330_183724_zpsfxshymp5.jpg

yea, good point.  I wanted to start with 1 for now and then add so I was trying to figure out where to put it.  I plan on adding in more later.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#26]

#2 might be more shaded, and still cover the front door.

Definitely cover the driveway as well... Maybe mounted on the soffit between the doors.
View All Quotes

faces southwest.

Definitely cover the driveway as well... Maybe mounted on the soffit between the doors.

thanks.  you're thinking there could be glare?

yea,I was going to do one above the garage doors too eventually.  

what kind of camera would you recommend?  dome or bullet or a combo of both?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#28]
awesome.  thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#29]

I prefer domes... They beat Bullets in every dimension except cost.
View All Quotes

faces southwest.

thanks.  you're thinking there could be glare?

yea,I was going to do one above the garage doors too eventually.  

what kind of camera would you recommend?  dome or bullet or a combo of both?

I prefer domes... They beat Bullets in every dimension except cost.

I'm having some real issues with domes,  2 Geovisions and 1 Hikvision.  All are installed in interior and are hazey like fog when the IR lights are on in the dark.  If I remove the dome cover they are fine indicating I am getting glare from the IR's off the clear plastic cover.  Daytime use is great.  I'm considering trying one of the Hikvision turret mounts.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#31]
That happens when the foam ring around the lens doesn't quite seal against the inside of the dome.  Its internal reflection..
View Quote

I just moved one of my domes and it is now kinda blurry at night. could it just be in need of cleaning on the outside? If not, how do we make sure the foam ring is tight?

Thanks, Tom
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:51:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4of5] [#32]
I have another question for TheGrayMan. I would like to put up some supplemental IR illumination. My wishes are to mount them at the gables of the house, 18-20 feet high, wide angle(120deg), and good illumination at least 100 feet out.

I will need 5 or 6 of these so would like to keep them at $100 or less apiece.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Tom
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#34]
is this a good deal?  not sure what kind of quality Zmodo is but I like that it comes with the NVR already and would be one less thing to get.  I could upgrade the cameras as needed but would it even be worth getting?

Zmodo 8-Channel 8-Camera Indoor/Outdoor High-Definition NVR Surveillance Kit
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#36]

I wouldn't do it.  Better performance can be had for the same money (or a bit more).  

The rebranded Hikvision stuff often works with other Hikvision cameras, so you have a choice of form-factors.  For instance, I got a buddy a Hikvision NVR, and we mixed-and-matched Hikvision cameras attached to it... they all worked (though they were limited by the 2.1MP max resolution of the DVR).
View All Quotes
is this a good deal?  not sure what kind of quality Zmodo is but I like that it comes with the NVR already and would be one less thing to get.  I could upgrade the cameras as needed but would it even be worth getting?

Zmodo 8-Channel 8-Camera Indoor/Outdoor High-Definition NVR Surveillance Kit

I wouldn't do it.  Better performance can be had for the same money (or a bit more).  

The rebranded Hikvision stuff often works with other Hikvision cameras, so you have a choice of form-factors.  For instance, I got a buddy a Hikvision NVR, and we mixed-and-matched Hikvision cameras attached to it... they all worked (though they were limited by the 2.1MP max resolution of the DVR).

ok.  what would a good NVR be?  something from Hikvision?  or build one?  i have an old computer just laying around i could use for one but would rather just have something designed for it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Grayman I am looking for 3 outdoor cameras.  One for frontdoor , under front porch eave.  Another above my garage door looking left and right down my street and another under my second story eave in the backyard.  I would like them to be wireless and be able to look at them on my devices, (phone tablet etc.)  I would like to keep the total under $350 if possible.  What do you recommend, oh Great One?

Tex
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#40]
thanks.  I'd like to get at least 8 channel.  Nelly has the Hikvision 7608NI-E2/8P that looks pretty nice.  I would just need to add storage to it.  then use it with something like the 2CD2120F-IW Outdoor Wifi Wireless HD 2MP IP Dome Security Camera 2.8mm for outside and 2CD2420F-IW 2MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera 2.8mm for inside.  does that seem reasonable?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#42]

You might have a little install trouble if you try to go wireless on that NVR.  

It has to do with the subnetting the NVR does when it connects cameras.  It's designed to take cameras wired directly to it.  When they are connected, the NVR assigns a separate subnet for those cameras, and acts as a router.  You won't be able to see those cameras from the rest of your network... you'll ONLY be able to see them by accessing them through the NVR itself.  It may not be able to see cameras on your general network.

If you do that NVR, I would hard-wire the cams, and use the built-in PoE capability to power them with the NVR itself.  Then you'd be assured it would work.  

I'm not sure it would work the way you're thinking.  You'd have to email Nelly's to clarify.  I would do that before you buy anything.
View All Quotes
thanks.  I'd like to get at least 8 channel.  Nelly has the Hikvision 7608NI-E2/8P that looks pretty nice.  I would just need to add storage to it.  then use it with something like the 2CD2120F-IW Outdoor Wifi Wireless HD 2MP IP Dome Security Camera 2.8mm for outside and 2CD2420F-IW 2MP Indoor IR Wifi Cube Camera 2.8mm for inside.  does that seem reasonable?

You might have a little install trouble if you try to go wireless on that NVR.  

It has to do with the subnetting the NVR does when it connects cameras.  It's designed to take cameras wired directly to it.  When they are connected, the NVR assigns a separate subnet for those cameras, and acts as a router.  You won't be able to see those cameras from the rest of your network... you'll ONLY be able to see them by accessing them through the NVR itself.  It may not be able to see cameras on your general network.

If you do that NVR, I would hard-wire the cams, and use the built-in PoE capability to power them with the NVR itself.  Then you'd be assured it would work.  

I'm not sure it would work the way you're thinking.  You'd have to email Nelly's to clarify.  I would do that before you buy anything.

yea, I'd hardwire everything.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like Nelly's isn't selling 3mp Hikvision domes any longer.  Anyone have any experience with a 2142FWD-I
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:07:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#44]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: camarojsmith] [#45]

I would say "more megapixels" = "mo bettah"=
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By camarojsmith:
Looks like Nelly's isn't selling 3mp Hikvision domes any longer.  Anyone have any experience with a 2142FWD-I

I would say "more megapixels" = "mo bettah"=
= mo $$

I emailed a guy at Nelly's.  He said they can't get 4mm lens anymore.  I was hoping to get one to try out since this camera will be pointing down my driveway.  I guess I'll have to just pick up a 2.8.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#47]
That's a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:09:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I was thinking that wireless meant wifi and thus less stringing of wires and punching holes in my wife's new house.  (Notice I said wife's new house).  I also wouldn't have the faintest idea about how or where to wire a power source for each camera.

I don't think you can get that done for that amount of money, even with the Hikvision stuff.  

Any particular reason why you want to go wireless?  Wireless isn't "wireless" you know... you still have to power it (unless you went with an ARLO system... but you're still replacing batteries 3-4x/year, for a total of about 15-20 bucks in batteries per-cam, per-year).
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By TrueBlueTexan:

Grayman I am looking for 3 outdoor cameras.  One for frontdoor , under front porch eave.  Another above my garage door looking left and right down my street and another under my second story eave in the backyard.  I would like them to be wireless and be able to look at them on my devices, (phone tablet etc.)  I would like to keep the total under $350 if possible.  What do you recommend, oh Great One?

Tex

I don't think you can get that done for that amount of money, even with the Hikvision stuff.  

Any particular reason why you want to go wireless?  Wireless isn't "wireless" you know... you still have to power it (unless you went with an ARLO system... but you're still replacing batteries 3-4x/year, for a total of about 15-20 bucks in batteries per-cam, per-year).

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:22:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I was thinking that wireless meant wifi and thus less stringing of wires and punching holes in my wife's new house.  (Notice I said wife's new house).  I also wouldn't have the faintest idea about how or where to wire a power source for each camera.

View All Quotes

Tex

IP cameras use one wire to each camera. Its the same wire that runs your internet for a computer. cat5 or cat6
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Are they powered by that line also of is it just for data transmission?

Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

IP cameras use one wire to each camera. Its the same wire that runs your internet for a computer. cat5 or cat6
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

Tex

Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top