Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Should work just as well.  I recommended the one I did because I like to terminate all of my Cat-6 with connectors.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By hawk1:

Lets try again.

http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/Cat-5-Video-Balun-p/balun-pv5.htm

Should work just as well.  I recommended the one I did because I like to terminate all of my Cat-6 with connectors.  

Is that just because you like to or do you end up with a better/more consistent long term connection?

I have nothing against RJ45's and can do the cuts/crimps, but thought a more direct connection without a connector was better?

Thanks again for your guidance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Got my camera back today.

Was still under the 3 year warranty...... by exactly ONE day.

So that was good news..... also ACTi  has pretty dang good customer service.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#7]
You are a master camera Jedi.

That looks awesome.

Can't wait to see some output.
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 1:25:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I freaking love this thread!!

I have learned a lot and have not working in a few days from reading this thread
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2013 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
You need a good friend with 3D modeling CAD/CAM software and a rep-rap 3D printer or CNC Mill.

Link Posted: 9/7/2013 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#13]
Here's a video of a Foscam camera being dishassembled.

For the more techy here...  

Go to about 7 minutes in...

Trying to imbed the video but something is wrong, maybe someone can help?  Anyhow, the link is bottom of this post...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_481761&feature=iv&src_vid=XeUriFF21WI&v=bNN6FiIJMDQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_481761&feature=iv&src_vid=XeUriFF21WI&v=bNN6FiIJMDQ

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Oh, the mischief I could get into...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ProfGAB101:
You need a good friend with 3D modeling CAD/CAM software and a rep-rap 3D printer or CNC Mill.

Oh, the mischief I could get into...

If you think of anything that can be drawn as an SVG image and cut from acrylic sheet with a CNC CO2 laser cutter, shoot me an IM. I'm setting up to make parts for a project and can probably cut some for you. There are a couple of options for gluing or solvent-welding acrylic.

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 3:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LCDR_Data] [#15]
Ugh, it'll take me days to go through this thread.  Thanks GrayMan.

Tagged for when I have my own property.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Any recommendations for a complete POE stsyem?  Samsung has one, looking for other recommendations. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 12:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#18]
This little gem popped up this week in a community facebook page. Nailed with a game camera.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
This little gem popped up this week in a community facebook page. Nailed with a game camera.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/dtolerant/theif.jpg
View Quote

What are we looking at?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ARDestructo:

What are we looking at?
View All Quotes

What are we looking at?

Meth-on-meth crime?  

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:15:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joemama74] [#21]
Originally Posted By red_on_black:

Meth-on-meth crime?  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By red_on_black:

What are we looking at?

Meth-on-meth crime?  

A chick who is now in jail for burglary.

(edit - this is not my house)
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotcha.

The URL spelled "thief" wrong.  :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Any recommendations on "alarm systems"?  I want to stay away from the ADT's of the world if possible.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Grayman, on the outdoor cameras that have built in IR leds, is it possible to disable those and use a free standing IR illumiator?
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#28]

For that, you're probably looking at a pre-packaged system (like one poster bought earlier in the thread... a pretty nice score for $400).  Most of those are at least adequate during the day time, provided you place your cameras wisely.  Keep in mind... for really challenging lighting scenarios, like very bright backlighting, it won't work as well... for locations like that you'll need a camera with wide dynamic range.  

Pre-packaged systems often have lower-quality cameras, but those can be augmented (or selectively replaced if necessary) with additional lighting, IR illuminators, etc for the night shots, or other difficult lighting conditions.  Even if your system isn't high-dollar or high-end, just having visible security cameras is a great deterrent. Mine are discretely placed... no big, obnoxious pendent mounts... all of them are soffit-mounted and unobtrusive... but I'll still get the pest-control guys, or the lawn guys comment on mine "jeez... is there any part of your house you can't see with those cameras?"  

My reply: "nope... I can see pretty much everything, day or night."

There is great value in deterrence.  You don't have to live in Fort Knox... sometimes it's enough to simply look like a harder target than your neighbors.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By hanau:
Thanks for all the info.
Now i need to figure out what i can do with about $1000.

For that, you're probably looking at a pre-packaged system (like one poster bought earlier in the thread... a pretty nice score for $400).  Most of those are at least adequate during the day time, provided you place your cameras wisely.  Keep in mind... for really challenging lighting scenarios, like very bright backlighting, it won't work as well... for locations like that you'll need a camera with wide dynamic range.  

Pre-packaged systems often have lower-quality cameras, but those can be augmented (or selectively replaced if necessary) with additional lighting, IR illuminators, etc for the night shots, or other difficult lighting conditions.  Even if your system isn't high-dollar or high-end, just having visible security cameras is a great deterrent. Mine are discretely placed... no big, obnoxious pendent mounts... all of them are soffit-mounted and unobtrusive... but I'll still get the pest-control guys, or the lawn guys comment on mine "jeez... is there any part of your house you can't see with those cameras?"  

My reply: "nope... I can see pretty much everything, day or night."

There is great value in deterrence.  You don't have to live in Fort Knox... sometimes it's enough to simply look like a harder target than your neighbors.

So here it is, 4 years later and prices have dropped.

I work with a family business that recently had a break-in after hours ... decent sized warehouse, 2 truck bays and various man doors.

Ideally, I'd be able to set up 4 or more cameras that would cover all entrances with enough detail that faces and license plates could be read ... so sealed outdoor cameras with decent resolution and night performance.

Total budget for this project is $1000-$2000 most likely.

I read a lot of this thread, but prices seem to have dropped a lot since 2009 ... what is the current state of the market for what I am looking for?  What would you suggest for my price point?
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:58:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dieselsuburban] [#29]
question on some ebay cameras.
I just bought a house, and installed a wired honeywell security system (vista 20p based). I am only trying to protect against my ex wife/her new husband coming to my house when they shouldnt. I want to be able to show the court that they are nuts.
that being said, i dont think this system will get used too much. I would consider mounting a 10-14inch lcd over my alarm panel with a couple channels on it though.

would something like this fit the bill? they seem cheap so that great for me
cheap megapizel network camera
or a whole system
cheap 4 camera system with previously mentioned network cameras

also saw this in one of their other auctions. wtf is this thing?! never seen big led's on camera before. and the 2 led's look different from one another
robocop looking security camera

thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#30]
from what I have read here, if you NEED true facial recognition, then a megapixel camera is needed. If you just want to see if someone is there or not then analog will work
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#31]
I need to facial recognition. so i guess ill stick with megapixel. any info on those ebay ones i posted?
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 3:37:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased my first camera today.  It's for inside the house and is a Panasonic BTS WV-SF135, which is advertised as a slim profile dome network camera.  I'm also purchasing a POE switch (a small one for now), and getting a dedicated NVR computer ready for it to record to.  I'll probably use the Luxriot software.  I figure I can play around with this one some and see where it leads.  I decided to forgo analog cameras completely at this point.  It just seems easier to run Cat5e or 6 once and have the better resolution.  It also seems like it would be relatively simple to expand.

Wish me luck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 2:06:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#34]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Haggin] [#35]
Looking for input on a new camera system for a house the wife and I are closing on 16 October.  We live in town now, and will be moving "to the country".  We're five miles from the nearest town, and 15 miles from the nearest metro area.  Closest neighbor is 1/4 mile to the north, next closest in 1 mile. so basically, nobody will be watching the home while we are away (except alarm system - see below).  Neither neighbor is in a direct line of sight to all sides of the house.

The home has a locally monitored alarm system, detached garage does not.  We'll be keeping the system, but need to have some work done on it to add coverage to the finished basement and make sure the dogs don't set off the motion detectors.  Eventually a fence along the road and a controlled access gate will be installed one funds are available (fencing and barn come first for the wife's animals) as the ditch is rather shallow and not steep.

Here is the house:

The home is two story, has a attached two stall garage on the North facing side, front door on the East facing side under an 8 foot deep porch, and a deck on the west facing side (egress to deck is French doors).  West side also has a basement walkout under the deck with a sliding patio door (makes the house look three story).  Detached garage is basically 30 by 60 with a overhead door on the east side and an entry and overhead door on the south side - you can see the aprkign pads in the photo.

I don't have thousands to spend, and would like to stay $1,000 to $1,500 for a setup. Ideally, I'd like to be able to get good video of anything that enters the driveway from the road.  I was thinking a system covering all entry points to the house/attached garage and a separate system on the detached garage to monitor entry and driveway.  Possibly a cheaper system with one to three upgraded cameras (such as the camera you discuss on page 26) to get good video of anything coming in, then relying on the rest of the system to get the comings and goings and the reaction to the alarm.

Thoughts?  I'm relatively handy, can run wires, hammer nail, drill and whatnot, but I'm not a IT guru or much of a techno savvy individual beyond running the CPU and syncing my calendar and games from my iPhone.  Thank you in advance for all your information in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#36]
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Can you give me some additional photos (front and rear)?  You can PM them to me if you want, and edit them for whatever level of OPSEC you desire.  

How high are the eaves/soffits on that garage?

Do you have enough know-how to set up a wireless bridge from the garage to the house?  (I can help you there).  

Do you have wifi or a network setup in the house?  

ETA:  what's your distance from the detached garage to the end of the driveway?
View Quote

Here's the front/rear and detached garage photos.  Street view is pretty much the same picture so I'm not breaking OPSEC too much anyway, its not that hard of a home to find.

Eaves and soffits on attached garage are probable 12, detached is probably 10 or less.

Not sure on the wireless bridge, never don't it.

No wifi yet.  Current owners don't have internet (WHAT!?!?!?).  Cable internet is nonexistent, DSL service might not be available (they are checking now), so we might have a verizon hotspot for internet only.

Driveway is approximately 175 to 200 feet long from the road to where it spreads out to the parking area.

Link Posted: 9/14/2013 7:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Libertyhillguy] [#38]
Originally Posted By Haggin:

Here's the front/rear and detached garage photos.  Street view is pretty much the same picture so I'm not breaking OPSEC too much anyway, its not that hard of a home to find.

Eaves and soffits on attached garage are probable 12, detached is probably 10 or less.

No wifi yet.  Current owners don't have internet (WHAT!?!?!?).  Cable internet is nonexistent, DSL service might not be available (they are checking now), so we might have a verizon hotspot for internet only.

Driveway is approximately 175 to 200 feet long from the road to where it spreads out to the parking area.

<a href="http://s443.photobucket.com/user/higgins-tm/media/CaptureFront_zpsb8978377.png.html" target="_blank">http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/higgins-tm/CaptureFront_zpsb8978377.png</a>

<a href="http://s443.photobucket.com/user/higgins-tm/media/CaptureRear_zps1986613f.png.html" target="_blank">http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/higgins-tm/CaptureRear_zps1986613f.png</a>

<a href="http://s443.photobucket.com/user/higgins-tm/media/CaptureDetached_zps7e73e76e.png.html" target="_blank">http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/higgins-tm/CaptureDetached_zps7e73e76e.png</a>
View All Quotes
Can you give me some additional photos (front and rear)?  You can PM them to me if you want, and edit them for whatever level of OPSEC you desire.  

How high are the eaves/soffits on that garage?

Do you have enough know-how to set up a wireless bridge from the garage to the house?  (I can help you there).  

Do you have wifi or a network setup in the house?  

ETA:  what's your distance from the detached garage to the end of the driveway?

<a href="http://s443.photobucket.com/user/higgins-tm/media/CaptureFront_zpsb8978377.png.html" target="_blank">http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/higgins-tm/CaptureFront_zpsb8978377.png</a>

<a href="http://s443.photobucket.com/user/higgins-tm/media/CaptureRear_zps1986613f.png.html" target="_blank">http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/higgins-tm/CaptureRear_zps1986613f.png</a>

<a href="http://s443.photobucket.com/user/higgins-tm/media/CaptureDetached_zps7e73e76e.png.html" target="_blank">http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq160/higgins-tm/CaptureDetached_zps7e73e76e.png</a>

See if there is Point to Point wireless DLS in the area
that is what we have we use out here....to far from any city for Verizon,AT&T or cable
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 10:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#39]
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Thank you very much for the information. I'll look into the recommendations. I'll be back with questions in sure. I may setup the driveway alarm and detached garage first and add to the system as funds are available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 1:06:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#42]

I'd start with that, and at least a camera on the garage to watch the driveway.  Tie the driveway alarm and the camera together like I showed you.  That way you get a heads-up when you're home, and a heads-up when you're away.  The ones on the house can come later.

Set up the network infrastructure as well... that will make it a trivial exercise to add additional cameras.
View All Quotes
Thank you very much for the information. I'll look into the recommendations. I'll be back with questions in sure. I may setup the driveway alarm and detached garage first and add to the system as funds are available.

I'd start with that, and at least a camera on the garage to watch the driveway.  Tie the driveway alarm and the camera together like I showed you.  That way you get a heads-up when you're home, and a heads-up when you're away.  The ones on the house can come later.

Set up the network infrastructure as well... that will make it a trivial exercise to add additional cameras.

To limit funds (we're busy buying equipment to care for this place too), could I potentially save funds by setting up a stand alone system on the detached garage to watch the driveway and back of the house (what appear to be the two most vulnerable points) along with the driveway alarm, then go wireless into the house down the road?  Would this require me to record 100% of the time then review the data if necessary otherwise just let it overwrite?  Or would the driveway alarm set off the camera and the recording of the images from one or two cameras?

I'm worried we might not be able to get reliable internet at this location, we're on the edge of the point to point service provider map that I found.  The rear half of the detached garage is climate controlled if that matters.  I also plan on adding some security to the entry and overhead doors via jamb hardeners and interior gates as we won't be in and out of the detached garage everyday like we will the attached garage.

The camera you mentioned is probably the cheapest insurance there is, but I'd like to get this into manageable bites.  While I'd be spending more overall (IE a high quality camera watching each entrance vs cheaper cameras right away that would be replaced eventually anyway) spending a little annually to upgrade and have a good system after three or so years of upgrades.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 10:23:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#43]
Picked up a FI9821W megapixel [1280x720 display resolution]  Foscam and was surprised at the resolution and range of the IR leds, in a good sized room.

They have digital zoom that's IMO pretty much worthless after x2 or so.

They cost around $140 on ebay.

Wireless and with slot for SD card for recording. 2 way audio so could be used as intercom.

Nice great little cam for the price.

Link Posted: 9/27/2013 9:46:18 AM EDT
[#44]
I need to set up a driveway alarm.... I wonder if they have them that can email a log?
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 10:48:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 3:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lokjell] [#46]
Was wanting to do a wired megapixel IP PC NVR build. Found lots of refurbished Dual Quad Xeon Server's with 4 sata drive bays for fairly reasonable prices $3-500.  
1. Would this be the best (cheapest) bet for recording lots of streams of Video?  

2. Would a system with a video card assist at all?

3. Would a 4x4tb Raid 10 setup be the best option for Data retention and redundancy?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/27/2013 11:34:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the info.  Are you running Zoneminder for your NVR Software?
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey guys, would it be possible for me to set up a self monitored security system for a store, with ~5 cameras, complete with alarm inputs such as motion alarms, sound alarms, doors and possibly panic/chicken switches?
would it also be possible to set the panic button/chicken switch to call the authorities? or is that asking for too much?
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top