Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2008 7:34:03 PM EDT
because it was 25'F today and there was little to do...

my BOB/Truck Bag.  yes, there are a lot of clothes.  i stay over places.  
i also volunteer for a couple of emergency communications organizations.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Who makes the bag and how much?
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the survival cat travel well?
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Who makes the bag and how much?

TAG R.A.I.D.

see, for example,
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=90&t=447720
which will bring you to:
http://www.blackbearhardware.com/pack-systems.html
and then
http://www.blackbearhardware.com/tagrbp1.html

it's not the largest (or smallest) pack, but for what i need it for it works.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. I know mine likes small dark places, but had never tried it before.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

i keep telling my wife, "honey, if we need to exfil in 90 seconds, you leave the
faucet running and i'll stick a knife into the side of the 50lb bag of cat food..."

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same thing. I know mine likes small dark places, but had never tried it before.

though she did try to fit in... but i'd have to leave out the TP and, well, that ain't happening...

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice setup.  In the photo with the food and Mountain House package, there is a container that looks like it holds fuel for an alcohol stove.  How well does it work for storage?  Why the strange shape?  And where can I get one?
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nice setup.  In the photo with the food and Mountain House package, there is a container that looks like it holds fuel for an alcohol stove.  How well does it work for storage?  Why the strange shape?  And where can I get one?

starting here,
http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

see
http://zenstoves.net/FuelStorage.htm

which leads to
http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/Accessories.html#8oz

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/30/2008 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

starting here,

see

which leads to

ar-jedi

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice,

I want to switch from a $13.00 Wally World Eddie B knock off brief case to a MaxPedition pack.

Want-Want -Want

BTW-Which radio is that with your pack?

Thank you!!

StagPower
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#11]
excellent photos thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

BTW-Which radio is that with your pack?

Thank you!!

StagPower

It appears to be the Yaesu VX-170. I have one sitting right next to me at the moment.

Link Posted: 12/1/2008 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#13]
seems like you need more food.  

but maybe thats just me, i likes to eat  
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:BTW-Which radio is that with your pack?

It appears to be the Yaesu VX-170. I have one sitting right next to me at the moment.

yes, it is a VX-170.  

it is difficult to see due to the glare, but the optional 6xAA battery pack and an external cigarette lighter power cord are in the little red mini-sack as well.  the lithium AA's (qty 6) are for this purpose, and the other two sets of AA batteries are spares for the Etrek GPS.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/1/2008 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

though she did try to fit in... but i'd have to leave out the TP and, well, that ain't happening...

ar-jedi

How does that joke go?  
The large animal asks the smaller how he gets the shit off his fur when he's done crapping.
The little animal responds, "It doesn't stick to my fur."

I suppose it would be critical that your cat is declawed if you are using it in place of toilet paper.
ba-dum-dum

Thanks for the pics and the sharing
-David
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
seems like you need more food.  
but maybe thats just me, i likes to eat  

that's a good point.  this is fundamentally a 2 or 3 day bag.  i usually keep a second Mtn House packet in the side pouch.  these are the "2 meal" type Mtn House packets, there is actually a lot of calories in them (typ. 600-700/packet).  that plus qty 10 of the 100 calorie Chewy Bars, and another pair of Power Bars –– that should do me ok for two days.  

more importantly, i'm missing a good plan for filtering/disinfecting water.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/1/2008 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

starting here,

see

which leads to

ar-jedi

ya know, that looks almost exactly –– to me –– like a Sta-Bil bottle.

Link Posted: 12/1/2008 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Outstanding as useual jedi. I'm always impressed with how well put together and though out your gear is.
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice set up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Whoa?! Is that a bag of powdered drinking water?! WOW

- great setup, seriously, thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Just before my graphics card died, it was amazed by all the nice pics...  But seriously folks... a very nice set-up.  Very well thought out for what you use it for.  

jim
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Thats for the write up. Always like looking at gear.
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a lot of clothes in my truck bag as well......one thing I found to save spave was using the foodsaver to compact them down works great....
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#25]
One small critique with good intention.  I see alot of packaging inside packaging.  I realize organization is important but something like a powerbar in a plastic bag isn't necessary.  Combine some stuff & shed some weight.

Note to self:  save the next Stabil bottle for BOB stove fuel :bigthumbsup

edited for horrid spelling
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
One small critic with good intention.  I see alot of packaging inside packaging.  I realize organization is important but something like a powerbar in a plastic bag isn't necessary.  Combine some stuff & shed some wait.

actually, that ziplock back has tea bags, some sugar-free life-savers, and a few other small food items.  more than anything it's just to keep everything in one place.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Gonna give you a 10 on that.  Would have been 11 (+1 for the matching carpet and great pictures), but you got a -1 for the cat.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gonna give you a 10 on that.  Would have been 11 (+1 for the matching carpet and great pictures), but you got a -1 for the cat.

my GSD Jessie died recently.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/2/2008 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd recommend a spare pair of wool socks to go with the extra clothing. Also might want to put all the clothing in a large ziplock as dry clothes are nicer than wet clothes if it's raining out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2008 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'd recommend a spare pair of wool socks to go with the extra clothing.

there are three spare pairs of wool hiking socks in there:
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/bugoutbag/DSCN4113_sm.jpg

Quoted:
Also might want to put all the clothing in a large ziplock as dry clothes are nicer than wet clothes if it's raining out.

the ruck is moderately weatherproof, however i have a pair of kitchen-can sized trashbags in there as well to (1) put my clothes in to keep them dry, and (2) keep muddy/wet clothes from contact with the clean/dry clothes.

you can see the folded bags pulled out an inch or so at the back of the pack:
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/bugoutbag/DSCN4103_sm.jpg

in ziplock bags on the floor in the pic above are qty 2 N95 masks, 2 pairs of medical exam gloves, some money in various denominations, and copies of some important info (my DL, for example).  all of the above, including the trash bags, fits flat into a small administrative pocket just inside the back of the pack.  i forgot to show the USB keyfob memory that has everything i'll ever need on it (documents, important info, etc), all bundled up in an AES-protected virtual container courtesy of Truecrypt.

from this view,
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/bugoutbag/DSCN4107_sm.jpg
it's located where you see just the ass end of the folding knife sticking up.  a penknife is stuck in there as well, umbilical'd via some paracord.  the little penknife is the same as my EDC knife, so it is really a spare.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/4/2008 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Cool!
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Fresh food. Smart.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Where did you find a cat with no legs?

I mean, outside of the typical response of, "wherever you left it last".
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#34]
get a case for your radio.

although they are some what tough. they ain't that tough.

one slip and fall into some mud could make it junk.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Very nice bag.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
get a case for your radio.
although they are some what tough. they ain't that tough.
one slip and fall into some mud could make it junk.

the Yaesu VX170 is built on a Vertex commercial chassis –– it's even waterproof to IPX7 specs (submersion for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 3 feet).  it's a damn tough radio.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/5/2008 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i keep telling my wife, "honey, if we need to exfil in 90 seconds, you leave the
faucet running and i'll stick a knife into the side of the 50lb bag of cat food..."

ar-jedi

I have a bug out bag for my dog and 2 cats.  They will eat better than the rest of the losers on my block.
Link Posted: 12/5/2008 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#38]
For some reason I read that package of mountain house as "Potatoes and Beer with Onions"
Link Posted: 12/6/2008 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Very nice pack!

Thanks for the Zen Stove link.
That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time.
I have made 5 stoves already.  Two don't work right, but the other three work great.  They are small enough to fit inside a 1 cup plastic camp cup, or in the meatal cup I carry in my pack!

Link Posted: 12/6/2008 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/10/2008 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Found this from the thread linked in the ham forum. Felt I'd comment here.
It does not look like your pouches are attached properly.  It looks like you skipped weaving them thru the pals webbing.
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice set up!

Link Posted: 12/10/2008 7:56:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It does not look like your pouches are attached properly.  It looks like you skipped weaving them thru the pals webbing.

correct –– and nice catch.

this is a result of me messing around with the configuration of the pouches WHILE i was taking pics.  for example, i exchanged the positions of the food pouch (shown now on left) and the water pouch (now on right), which allowed a little more swinging room for my HT on the right behind my arm.  and the FAK now sits a bit lower than it was.  i'll have to get you guys some new pics with everything pulled in tight.

regards,
ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

correct –– and nice catch.

this is a result of me messing around with the configuration of the pouches WHILE i was taking pics.  for example, i exchanged the positions of the food pouch (shown now on left) and the water pouch (now on right), which allowed a little more swinging room for my HT on the right behind my arm.  and the FAK now sits a bit lower than it was.  i'll have to get you guys some new pics with everything pulled in tight.

regards,
ar-jedi

I pay attention sometimes.
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 5:53:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Mine is about the same size, as I travel away froom home quite a bit as well.  The only advice I would offer is to add some waterproofing to your clothes - I use a GI waterproof bag for clothes - it's pretty light, and very flexible and I use a dry bag for my poncho liner.

The weatherproof bags also have other uses - which IMO make them even more valuable:
1) Can be used for water gathering
2) Keeping feet warm and dry in shelter
3) If you need to quickly carry more gear, it can be used for expandable capacity.
etc, etc...
Link Posted: 12/11/2008 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

my GSD Jessie died recently.  

ar-jedi

Sorry to hear that, man.

Link Posted: 12/12/2008 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#47]
did you ruck it yet.... sorry had to.
Link Posted: 12/12/2008 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
did you ruck it yet.... sorry had to.

this comes from the guy who commented on my legs the last time i posted pics???  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/3/2009 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#49]
bumped for moar pics/updates and because I love the pics.  Survival Cat FTW!
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#50]
tag so I can save the links to my other computer
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top