Site Notices
10/24/2014 2:42:22 PM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 23
Author
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:36:25 AM
I work around the country and I mostly travel by air. For the last year I have been modifying and adding to my cross-continental GHB.

My threat scenarios include natural and man made disasters. I am fairly familiar with both; Rodney King - day 2, WTO from the start, NOLA from day 5, a couple fine African countries during violence, and Iraq.

I am not prepared for full scale or near full scale nuclear war. Nor am I prepared to be at ground zero for a CBRNE attack, but I have basic equipment to try to get out of a fallout area.

My GHB must also be everyday useable and provide comfort during inconveniences, as I have limited space and weight with air travel and at least one full checked bag must be work stuff and half of another minimum for normal clothes and such.

I have set it up to provide comfort for power outages, multi-day airline delays (stuck at the airport in snow, etc) and any other small situations I could think of.

The bag it all goes in. For flight the side pouches (SAW pouches) come off and go in my checked luggage) the bag is a SDS “conflict”. I like it overall but it may go away and become something smaller and my checked bag may become a larger more comfortable ruck. The bag has a 3L bladder in it.

Repair kit (9.8 oz) that goes in the bottom of the ruck. Sewing kit with iron on patch and lots of safety pins, crazy glue, gorilla tape, McNett sil fix and field repair kit put in a airborne canister wrapped with 20’ of 20ga wire covered with gorilla tape, platypus patches, bicycle repair patches, and a air mattress hot bond repair kit, and 16’ of 550

Hygiene kit (9.3oz) moist wipes, toilet paper, body glide, deet, sunblock, lip balm, tooth brush, soap, signal mirror. All in stick form, so no security problems. Not in the picture – purification tabs.

Snivel kit (6.8oz) bunch of blister stuff, iodine pads and antibiotic ointment, alka-seltzer, band aids and tape, cough drops, pills: pain, diarrhea, sleep, allergy, vitamins, probiotics.

Early warning kit (6.3oz) two personal alarms, trip wire, nails and eye screws.

Trauma kit (1lb 5oz) CAT, 2 curlex, 2 nasal airways, dressing, cravat, gloves, 2 needles, 2 ashermans, coban. (need a epi pen and need to reduce the weight of the bag)

Burning plane and hotel escape (7.9oz) nomex gloves, wool balaclava, breathing mask. Gloves and balaclava are obviously useful for more than getting out of a fire. (I try to wear natural fiber clothes, to include underwear, on the plane)

Radio (2lb 11oz) kenwood w extra battery and AA battery pack, antenna, 12v charger, notebook, space pen, photon light. I’d like to make this a lot lighter but it’s what I have and I don’t want to spend any more money on radios right now.

Misc electronics and B&E (3lb 11oz) 12V chargers for everything, long wire antenna for radio, alligator clip cigarette lighter (Even after a major event there will be plenty of car batteries and I can charge everything I carry off of 12v) large lock pick kit, hot wire kit.

Cooking: 2 T-cups, T spoon, 2oz alcohol stove, esbit, alcohol, lighter.

Shelter: what I take depends on the season. Snugpack jungle bag, Integral Designs 5’x8’ poncho, T stakes, spectra line, Thermolite sleeping bag liner (I usually sleep with this in hotels and take it with my in the airport), Heatsheets bivy, gossamer gear R2.27 ¾ length 8oz pad

Misc: Full size travel towel (I use it as my on plane blanket also), inflatable neck pillow, head-over bug net, puffy jacket (primaloft w/ hood) this is my main in-airport shelter and my second pillow for on the plane.

Other stuff in my ruck: nalgene bottle w/ coffee filter, e-lite, surefire, water heater, monocular, airborne container w $10 quarters, aviators’ signal panel, fire starter, whetstone, spork, disposable poncho and 2 breathing masks, 123 batteries, scrub pad, visor ID flag

All the stuff I normally have on my person or in my jacket/vest:
G19 /x mag, Kramer leather, 2 spydercos, aviator, cingular 8525 w internet, leatherman, small pick kit, small snivel kit, compass (my watch also has a compass and altimeter) storm lighter, notebook & space pen, cloth zip ties, and money ( I try to always travel with at least $1000 extra cash just-in-case – I’ve been in a no-power situation were I ended up renting a car from a third rate type place for cash, if you have enough you can do most anything. I should up the amount.)

Things I will add, but have been to lazy to get: GPS kit for 8525, full database of everyone I know around the country, database of repeaters; 80GB Ipod for said databases, movies, computer files, maps, etc.

Things I have that I have considered adding: G19 AA 22lr w archangel, PVS14 w headmount.
Sua Sponte, De Oppresso Liber

www.InSightsTraining.com
Waldo
3/$1.00
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:48:50 AM

No food? How far are you going to get on a couple of cough drops?
How can I miss you when you won't GO AWAY?

Xterra
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:53:37 AM
Those sporks are the shit arn't they I've got a few and love them!
TomJefferson
OF Who Likes Guns
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:54:47 AM

Originally Posted By Xterra:
Those sporks are the shit arn't they I've got a few and love them!

Oh hell, you just reminded me I actually bought one on a whim and now can't remember where the damn thing is.
"We prepare so we don't have to go to the Superdome!"
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 1:04:30 AM

Originally Posted By Waldo:

No food? How far are you going to get on a couple of cough drops?

Farther than 99.9% of the populace with ease.

Since I can't carry enough food to get across even a good sized state on foot, carrying all my food from the start is not part of the plan.

I did not list the totality of my GH plan, just my equipment. Getting food is part of my planning, but I have no problem going 3+ weeks without eating if it is a serious enough situation.

I do carry 1-2 full days of snacks just for convenience in the airport, etc.

www.InSightsTraining.com
georgiarebel6165
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 1:09:47 AM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2007 1:12:07 AM by georgiarebel6165]
Looks good.

Only thing I'd add is that a LEO could give you a hard time about the pills not being in their prescription bottles pre-SHTF. Ex - getting pulled over for a traffic stop.

Over the counter stuff shouldn't be a problem, but you could have some explaining to do if you run into a jerk. Probably at the same time a group of illegals drive by stuffed 20 to the van.

GR
BlueCrusader
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 11:59:01 AM
That is an excellent set-up RAGNAR.

I'll echo the comments about meds...if any of them are controlled, I'd chuck them in their original 'scrip containers.

I'm going to have to update my own bag now.
JIMBEAM
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:06:03 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2007 12:30:10 PM by JIMBEAM]
Have you had any problems carrying the lock pick?

Can you tell me more about the personal alarms?

Your ad here.
dalesimpson
If you can’t be kind, at least be vague.
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:07:29 PM
You mention that you can use that stuff in case of plane crash. Which airline will let you carry that bag on the plane as a carry on? I think it would be great to have some of that stuff with you on a plane, but I envision being harassed for hours at any security checkpoint with that stuff.
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire
It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee
كافر
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 12:59:49 PM

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
You mention that you can use that stuff in case of plane crash. Which airline will let you carry that bag on the plane as a carry on? I think it would be great to have some of that stuff with you on a plane, but I envision being harassed for hours at any security checkpoint with that stuff.

The only items that are plane crash specific are the breathing mask, wool hood and nomex gloves. The same items I would use to exit a burning building. The 6P is in the same pouch as this stuff.

About half the items (the ones that go in the SAW pouches) come of and go in checked baggage.

I have carried all of this +/- for about a year, no problems.

I have carried almost all of it as carry on a few times but the bag is too big. Just pulled all the knives, lighters, liquid, and the pick sets. I pull the trauma bag and go with just a cravat, culex, and dressing on the plane.

I have a little orange stuff sack that I de-rig into, all the stuff off my body and from the pack. I put it in my checked luggage and then I know were everything is.

www.InSightsTraining.com
EXPY37
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 1:15:27 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2007 1:25:31 PM by EXPY37]
You've got a versatile and complex setup there. Good for you, I like it.

I agree about keeping the pain meds with their prescription bottle, never know when someone would want to put another 'feather' in their cap.

ETA, To save weight and volume and since the coax is relatively short, I'd consider replacing it with the teflon version of RG-174, it's RG-316 or some number similar and use quality SMA conx [the good ones off eBay for cheap, not the imported ones altho they are probably OK to 450 MHz or higher, just don't have the good berilyum-cooper finger inside sometimes.

The additional RF loss might be offset by the other advantages.

Also, consider changing the flashlights to the new Fenix.

I can't find the picks in the pics.
dalesimpson
If you can’t be kind, at least be vague.
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 1:16:38 PM

Originally Posted By _RAGNAR_:

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:

The only items that are plane crash specific are the breathing mask, wool hood and nomex gloves. The same items I would use to exit a burning building. The 6P is in the same pouch as this stuff.

About half the items (the ones that go in the SAW pouches) come of and go in checked baggage.

I have carried all of this +/- for about a year, no problems.

I have carried almost all of it as carry on a few times but the bag is too big. Just pulled all the knives, lighters, liquid, and the pick sets. I pull the trauma bag and go with just a cravat, culex, and dressing on the plane.

I have a little orange stuff sack that I de-rig into, all the stuff off my body and from the pack. I put it in my checked luggage and then I know were everything is.

10-4.

The mask, gloves and hood are great ideas to carry on. I originally misunderstood and thought you took all this stuff as carry on.
It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong. Voltaire
It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it. Robert E. Lee
كافر
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 1:28:12 PM

Originally Posted By JIMBEAM:
Have you had any problems carrying the lock pick?

Can you tell me more about the personal alarms?

I have never had a problem with the picks, I'm a member of
The Associated Locksmiths of America Inc. (ALOA) and a SFC in SF. I don't forsee a problem.

The alarms are something I made up. They are the stupid "personal alarms" they sell that you are supposed to pull and then the noise scares away your attacker. I just painted them and added the trip wire. Perfect for a stairwell or doorway and could still be used in the woods.

For this type of an emergency I don't see myself living in the woods. I am much more likely to be in a building no one else is using right now.

As far as the meds, when I add my epi pen and antibiotics I will keep the scrip with them. But honestly I do not forsee a time when LE will be rifling through my bag to that level.

For starters I would never give LE permission to search myself, my vehicle, or my bags. That alone takes care of 99% of the problem.

I also have tsa locks that I can secure all the bags compartments with if I thought I needed to (if I was traveling in an emergency with other people for one) not real security but now someone has to wake you up to get in your bag instead of just easily stealing stuff.

www.InSightsTraining.com
BlueCrusader
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 3:34:27 PM

As far as the meds, when I add my epi pen and antibiotics I will keep the scrip with them. But honestly I do not forsee a time when LE will be rifling through my bag to that level.

For starters I would never give LE permission to search myself, my vehicle, or my bags. That alone takes care of 99% of the problem.

I understand where you are coming from.

However, the last thing you want is to get into confrontation with some local LE in BFE. You may or may not have the chance to identify yourself. Foresight and evasion are always part of preparedness, but none of us can be at a threatcon level that allows us to make the right choices 100% of the time.

I have both mil and FED LE credentials, but I am also aware that Murphy is lurking right around the corner.

There may come a time when the decision to search your bags is not up to you or the LE you are dealing with are ignorant of the law.
JIMBEAM
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 4:28:10 PM
Where did you get the alarms I would like to get some.

Your ad here.
Tight-group
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 5:17:14 PM
Very nice,

Is there any provision for water filteration?

seem's that a foil pack of mainstay ration cubes would

augument the bag nicely, maybe some quick-clot.
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 5:18:26 PM
http://www.streetdefender.com/MC-223-S.htm

This is the ones I got. My requirements were foremost that they have two attachment points so they could be rigged in a trip wire system. Next I wanted them small and light.

www.InSightsTraining.com
944turbo
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 5:38:25 PM
Ragnar, as in Ragnar Benson?
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 6:48:27 PM

Originally Posted By 944turbo:
Ragnar, as in Ragnar Benson?

Hardly, Ragnar as a old Ranger Battalion play on words.

www.InSightsTraining.com
Spade
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 7:20:58 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2007 7:27:43 PM by Spade]

The alarms are something I made up. They are the stupid "personal alarms" they sell that you are supposed to pull and then the noise scares away your attacker. I just painted them and added the trip wire. Perfect for a stairwell or doorway and could still be used in the woods.

That's freakin' genius right there.

I bookmarked this.

ETA: I dunno if you noticed this, but your leatherman is pink.
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 7:28:36 PM

Originally Posted By Tight-group:
Very nice,

I just wrote a long response to this and my computer went down and I lost it. I’ll try to get time to rewrite it tonight. Thanks for all the comments, thats why I posted my bag. I like to hear other’s ideas, even if I don’t agree.

www.InSightsTraining.com
georgiarebel6165
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 8:17:48 PM

Do as you wish, and in a perfect world I agree with you 100% on the search, but post 9-11 America at a late night road block a LE only needs probable cause to do a search for anything, and if you refuse you could end up having free room and board for the night if not longer. Just seems too much of a risk for the hassle. I'd wait for post-SHTF to throw them in a true BO situation. Other than that I'd keep them at the house

GR
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/7/2007 9:18:07 PM
[Last Edit: 7/7/2007 9:44:40 PM by _RAGNAR_]

Originally Posted By Tight-group:
Very nice,

It’s all a space/weight trade off. I have a carry-on and two 50# checked bags. One 50# is for work, another 20-30+# depending on weather and length of trip is personal clothes and gear. Bags themselves weigh 5-10#, so you start running out or room and weight really fast. This doesn’t just sit in a trunk, I travel with it 2+ times a month. If it starts to be a royal pain it will end up getting left at home.

I have considered a water filter. Before going to NOLA I would have told you all I needed was tabs, now I’m not so sure.

I can do a primary screening using my aviators panel and the nalgene coffee filter (I would do this even with a water filter just to save the filter)

The water filter would get rid of a lot, even most fallout particulate, but I don’t know if even it would make NOLA water safe to drink. I imagine most chemicals would go right through, but I don’t know much about chemicals and microns and such. Drinking feces is not on my high to-do-list, filtered and purified feces sounds better than just purified feces, but neither sounds very good. I have not made a decision on whether to have a filter and if yes, which one. Still working on that one.

As far as food, same thing applies. Does having a couple thousand calories really help? It is far more psychological than physical. For most people it’s a big deal. Like the guy who is making a bag for his wife, she probably will be significantly impaired if she has to go without meals of some sort. Food is the lowest priority on the list (Air, shelter, water, food) for a reason. I have had my education in suffering multiple times, not eating for a while will be no big deal.

I carry approx 2 days of food onto the airplane, I always get another 1-2 days worth when I get to my destination for snacks and to replace what I ate on the trip in preparation for the return flight. One of the first things I will do upon notification of a serious problem is get 20 cans of spam and liter or two of olive oil. Not usually the first stuff that will be gone from the shelves.

As far as quick-clot and the others, contrary to popular opinion I don’t believe they work. I will qualify that. I don’t believe they work for life threatening bleeding. They work for scary bleeding, but there is no evidence to support the idea they will reliably stop what a tourniquet will, what a proper wound packing will, or what a clamp will stop. Scary bleeding just needs conventional aid, life-threatening bleeding needs one of the three techniques listed above. Quick-clot, like CPR, is mostly about making everyone feel like they did something. A CAT can be hands free in 30 seconds, a packing a wound doesn’t take much longer. Tactical first aid is about first stopping the source of the bleed and keeping as much red stuff in the pipes as possible. It is not about covering up the red stuff so you can’t see it. I do not believe Quick-clot will stop the source of a life threatening bleed.

All decent suggestions, but with weight/space consideration I have had to make significant trade-offs. If I added three more pounds it wound be a G19 AA 22lr w/ archangel and 100 rounds, and a pvs14 with headmount. If I added three more pounds it would probably be a level IIA vest. With some very careful reconfiguration I may be able to drop two pounds and keep all my capabilities. Keeping the pack well below 30# not counting food and water would be nice.

I really want a Hennessy Hammocks hyperlight backpacker but just can’t see adding the weight.

www.InSightsTraining.com
_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2007 12:10:58 AM

Originally Posted By Spade:

ETA: I dunno if you noticed this, but your leatherman is pink.

It's part of my covert signaling and rapport plan. Only gay commandos notice it.

www.InSightsTraining.com
JusAdBellum
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2007 9:02:02 AM
looks like you thought of most everything.

hmm. how about a camp towel?

but then, $1000+ buys an awful amount of cloth...

I can't tell you guys the number of time my "survival stash" of cash and coin have come in handy when on a trip for business or pleasure.

_RAGNAR_
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/8/2007 11:13:16 AM
there is a full sized camp towel in picture 12. It one of those things that may fall by the wayside during a long walk.

www.InSightsTraining.com
  Previous Page
Page:  / 23