Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Maroman:
OK so its not a bunker but I bet you will think its neat.

Some of you may have seen this before I have posted in a couple of threads. Here is the rundown. I wanted a tornado shelter and needed some temporary storage space for tools and other misc items.I have been comtemplating a container house so I thought why not make it outta containers? I used a 20'and a 40'. It was a great experience and turned out nicely. Here are some pics to see for yourself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture026-1.jpg

In the begining. moving containers around with my 3/4 ton Dodge truck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture033.jpg

Super handy Kubota and Welder.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture044.jpg

8x8' sliding door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture061.jpg

20x20' carport going up. Again more welding.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture070.jpg

20x20' slab. This is the only part that I did not do by myself. Everything else was BY ME ONLY. A testimate to the ease of working with these things.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture090-1.jpg

A little paint (yea 2 days of painting really) and we are almost there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture109.jpg

Almost there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture111.jpg

Heres the interior. Note the listeroid enging for my genny. can't wait to get to it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture110-1.jpg

Here is the door to the "bunker" with its namesake sign I made from an old fallout shelter sign. I call it my "Zombie Shelter"

I have more pics if someone wants to see anything more.

that's pretty damn sweet man thanks for sharin

"Freedom isn't Free"
Another great site worth checking out: Survival Forum

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I missed a post with more of the dozer work. I'm having a hell of a time getting sales droids to return my phone calls - anyone dealt with someone in the SEA-PDX area that will actually return a phone call?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#3]
How is the shelter holding up?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The OP still around?
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Amazing thread. I was thinking about this with taking 4 containers and make a square for a courtyard and burry one under another for a basement.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By BoovarBjarki:

Amazing thread. I was thinking about this with taking 4 containers and make a square for a courtyard and burry one under another for a basement.

I think based on my research that burying one would cause the sides to cave in.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Originally Posted By BoovarBjarki:

I think based on my research that burying one would cause the sides to cave in.

Yes sir; you need to build something around it to support the dirt.

Status update, we're going with a builder that's closer to where it will be deployed. Hope to have more information soon on build out time frame.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:38:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, it's done. We ended up spending quite a bit of time re-leveling the pad.

Pictures of the interior here. I ended up spending all day working and not taking pictures.

We'll be painting the side facing the road flat green and the roof white.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By RyJones:

Well, it's done. We ended up spending quite a bit of time re-leveling the pad.

Pictures of the interior here. I ended up spending all day working and not taking pictures.

We'll be painting the side facing the road flat green and the roof white.

that is awesome man.

Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything new going on with this? Still in the back of my mind if I am saving up for some cargo containers or just a hill based, subterranean camp.

Bev
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
bump for status update
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FireControlman:
bump for status update

Many people are interested.
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
OP doesnt seem to stop by anymore....

Last Login Date:
4/15/2010 10:54:58 PM EST
Last Post Date:
5/31/2009 10:00:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2012 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
too bad would love to see how they held up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#15]
sad he dont stop by anymore.  I am getting ready to start a similar project for an actual house.  Thinking 4-40' containers sitting on a full basement.  Engineer friend is still working out the bugs on the plans but I am very excited.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#16]
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
sad he dont stop by anymore.  I am getting ready to start a similar project for an actual house.  Thinking 4-40' containers sitting on a full basement.  Engineer friend is still working out the bugs on the plans but I am very excited.

You might want to be VERY careful how you spend your money.

Let's say the market price for decent 40 foot 'tainer's is abt $4000 ea.

So $16000 plus let's say close to $20k by the time they're set on your foundation/basement w/ delivery, taxes, repairs if needed, etc.

Now you have four 40' long tunnels.

Each [let me get my tape out] are a little less than 8 FEET wide! Inside...

What are you going to do to make them livable, have a decent resale value, make the 'house' attractive to another buyer, insulate properly, ––-and a zillion other things ––to make the decision to build w/ shipping containers make more sense than conventional construction?

How are you going to integrate them into a finished space that has rooms as functional as conventional construction?

That's why seeing shipping containers more commonly built into a living space is relatively rare.

For most applications it makes very little sense. Even if the 'tainers were FREE it doesn't make sense -unless there is something special..

Now, I'd love to have you articulate your reasoning for doing this w/ 4 containers, I'm all ears!

All this said, we just had supper and we're safely tucked in for the evening in a 20 foot shipping container. We live in one a good part of the year.

I just measured the distance between the side walls and it's 89". That's pitifully narrow! After some clever insulation. The usable length is only abt 19', 225" to be close to exact.

In sq ft terms that's only 148 sq ft!

In the 'back' there's an approx king length bed [to fit me] that can retract to the ceiling. Two plastic K-Mart 6 drawer nightstands ~14" wide on either side.

A center isle to the sleeping area and a 56" x 47" bathroom enclosed space that has storage, toilet, 2' x 3' shower area, exhaust fan in the sidewall, med chest w/ mirror, two stacked 6 drawer cabinets like the nightstands, and some other equipment.

It's tiny but exceptionally functional. Except for two small desk chairs, one w/out a back that slips under the bed, there's NO furniture.

Opposite the BR is a long counter with compact double sink, single burner Coleman propane stove built in to the left of the sink, microwave above, water processing and RO filter underneath...

Tons of shelving all around the container for storage and immediate access to 'stuff'.

Opposite the counter is the computer and work desk, 79" to the sliding glass doors from the BR end wall.

That's it. I just can't imagine anyone making a house out of shipping containers unless they have a danged good articulatible reason...

We couldn't get much of anything for what we've built and a loan, forgetabt it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#17]
bottom line?

Shipping containers are inefficient ways to create bunkers/buildings.

I got a quote today from my metal supplier for a 24'x80' building... It was $11,000.

Scale that however you want, but it's cheaper than the equivalent in shipping containers.

Even solid 6" slab basements go for less per square foot than shipping containers can be buried and reinforced for.

Do the math, and shipping containers simply don't add up guys.

Be smart.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:16:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#18]
Right... But math isn't taught anymore...  
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#19]
bottom line?

I got a quote today from my metal supplier for a 24'x80' building... It was $11,000.

Scale that however you want, but it's cheaper than the equivalent in shipping containers.

Even solid 6" slab basements go for less per square foot than shipping containers can be buried and reinforced for.

Be smart.

Prices went thru the roof because these things are too popular now...IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:43:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By todbnla:
bottom line?

Be smart.

What prices were you seeing 5 yrs ago vs today?

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:56:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Fuck me talk about necro...............
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 12:59:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
bottom line?

Be smart.

In my AO 40's are like $3500, 20's like $2500-3k, up I would say $1k all around, I wanted to make a "garage" out of some a while back (34 yrs) and now that I have repriced them, pole barn pricing is better.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:05:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#23]
bottom line?

Be smart.

In my AO 40's are like $3500, 20's like $2500-3k, up I would say $1k all around, I wanted to make a "garage" out of some a while back (34 yrs) and now that I have repriced them, pole barn pricing is better.

Those prices aren't too bad for good containers, I paid abt 25% more. You prolly have good availability in MS.

I'd go with the pole barn but make it w/ steel columns and purlins. So that you can enclose it later, all metal and little fire exposure.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:43:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a 40' high cube this fall and was $2700 shipped to my house. The same place who picked it up wanted to charged me $4200 for one of theirs.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#25]

bottom line?

Be smart.

That is not the reason why. It mainly has to do with a slow-down in international shipping which dramatically reduced the production of the containers in China. The price of available containers increased naturally when shipping picked up again.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#26]
This is a tag of epic proportions....

Nice work OP!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#27]
so many people love this thread when i show it to them.  don't want this thing to disappear.
Link Posted: 7/25/2012 10:01:02 AM EDT
[#28]
This is a great thread..........Any updates from the OP?
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By mic214:
This is a great thread..........Any updates from the OP?

+1

Link Posted: 9/23/2012 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Last Login Date:

5/16/2012 4:13:12 PM CDT

Last Post Date:

5/31/2009 9:00:58 AM CDT

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I'll update. Joe found a leak in the roof of the container used to manufacture explosives, so he's going to pay someone to put a roof on it. We've talked a lot about putting a carport-style roof over the top to reduce the temperature, so the first roof would be to make the container WWT again, the carport roof would be added later. The plan is to attach the carport roof at the four corners, and cantilever a 8 or 10 foot section out over the patio area so there's less of a mud puddle right there by the door.

Other things discussed have been refurbing the bearings for the latch rods on the doors; they're shot and squeaky as hell when you try to wrestle the doors open.

It's likely that had the container been given a close look at purchase, the roof issue would have been spotted, but TBH it looked good and someone would have had to use a hammer test to find the dead spot.

We've also discussed adding an out-of-the-weather sleeping deck on top - just a flat spot under the carport, over the roof, for someone to roll out a pad and sleeping bag. Last year we had some windstorms and Joe ended up having to wrestle his tent to the ground to restake it; also, sleeping in the trees is kind of ass when there's lightning all around.

The only other annoyance is the power cutover tool has a 20 second delay when you switch to battery, so when you first get there and turn on the lights, it takes a little bit for it to happen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Any new updates?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Flathead9:
Any new updates?

I'll give another update. Another, more severe leak was discovered; it was made even worse by having the vent covered to prevent snow from blowing in. That, and a relatively good seal overall, meant that water was leaking in, the container would get humid in the day, then cold at night. A lot of shit got water all over it. The roof is patched - again - and the schedule for a new roof is moving up from this summer to ASAP.

Some interior pictures here.

Leak pictures here.

Exterior damage, more interior shots.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Tagging a great thread!
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 1:34:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EXPY37] [#35]
Any new updates?

I'll give another update. Another, more severe leak was discovered; it was made even worse by having the vent covered to prevent snow from blowing in. That, and a relatively good seal overall, meant that water was leaking in, the container would get humid in the day, then cold at night. A lot of shit got water all over it. The roof is patched - again - and the schedule for a new roof is moving up from this summer to ASAP.

Leak pictures here.

Couple thoughts...

Shipping containers that are not insulated [and even ones that are] will generally have condensation issues in cold wx [below roughly 25 degrees or so IMX] when folks or other sources of moisture spend time in them. [ Like water dripping on your head in the middle of the night   ] Was thinking abt this when I woke up in one this AM.

Also, the florescent light fixtures in your pix above don't look to be 'explosion proof' or otherwise protected from chlorate dust that may over time collect on the tube terminals and might result in a kaboom.

Unprotected electrical plugs behind the chem measuring and mixing tables might be a cause for concern too.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#36]

Any new updates?

Leak pictures here.

Couple thoughts...

Shipping containers that are not insulated [and even ones that are] will generally have condensation issues in cold wx [below roughly 25 degrees or so IMX] when folks or other sources of moisture spend time in them. [ Like water dripping on your head in the middle of the night   ] Was thinking abt this when I woke up in one this AM.

Also, the florescent light fixtures in your pix above don't look to be 'explosion proof' or otherwise protected from chlorate dust that may over time collect on the tube terminals and might result in a kaboom.

Unprotected electrical plugs behind the chem measuring and mixing tables might be a cause for concern too.  

I have a 40' hi-cube and was planning on framing and spray foam the inside of it instead of board or the roll up foam. I do not have a garage and was uing this to store stuff. By the time i ran the numbers i figured just put that money into moving into a new place. So now when i move, the conex is coming and is just gotta be spare storage.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Wonder how the setup looks today?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Last Login Date: 5/16/2012 4:13:12 PM CDT
Last Post Date: 5/31/2009 9:00:58 AM CDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 6:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreatDane] [#39]
Originally Posted By Libertyhillguy:
Last Login Date: 5/16/2012 4:13:12 PM CDT
Last Post Date: 5/31/2009 9:00:58 AM CDT

Obamabots got 'im.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Maybe he went to Gault's Gulch?

Link Posted: 12/20/2013 1:15:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish I could find and gain entrance to Galt's Gulch. No such luck so far.

Here are some more recent pictures:

Before pictures and more to the story are here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#42]
not bad at all

wish i had one
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#43]
tag

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Hi, as it happens I've just bought a 40 footer....and need to paint the exterior..at least the roof to reflective white instead of hot as fuk brown...what paint did OP use?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Tag, I'm getting a couple of 20'ers
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:27:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kyoami] [#46]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
Hi, as it happens I've just bought a 40 footer....and need to paint the exterior..at least the roof to reflective white instead of hot as fuk brown...what paint did OP use?
View Quote

I think Joe had a white elastomeric roof put on. here are after pictures.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I wonder if we will ever get any updates
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By Maroman:

The containers are secured to the slab via welded on rebar 18" on center. I plan to add a retaining wall brick to the "bunker" to further insure it does not go anywhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture088.jpg

The carport was preenginered by Muller inc buildings as just a 20x20' carport. I just did not buy the other 4x4" poles as I only needed one. We don't have much snow load here but it will handle some. The specs are on their website.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture050.jpg

The "bunker" has yet to be finished. It has an oak floor and will get 2x2s as wall studs. and r5 poly sheet insulation with a fire sprinkler system to boot. It will be climate controlled to some extent with a humidity kept low as it will have some firearms stored there in a safe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture064.jpg

Could not have done it without my tractor. (well easily anyway)

I have about $7500 in it. Containers are not cheap and are not the best way to create sq footage. I have 880 sq ft under roof and 480 secured. 1IVs guess was pretty good. the 40 footers are only about $150-200 more than a 20 because they are not as desirable. Most people want the 20s for the size. I live in the city limits and had to get a permit. It was a simple task here. Most homes are manufatured homes and its still quite country here. If you apply for a permit and it has "tornado" anything reference it will get apporved. My house project may have more hoops.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/Maroman/containershelterpics/Picture025.jpg
View Quote

Maybe look into insulated ones next time.

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I hired someone to put on Sherwin-Williams Bond-Plex. It's expensive but very durable and is designed to go on over already painted metal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Bounce19712:
View Quote

It's possible to get an additive that reflects IR; this will decrease the amount of heat absorbed by the structure.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top