Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 12:14:37 PM EDT
Has anyone tried a jig head nymph as a bottom dropper on their nymphing rig?

I like the idea of the hook being up to minimize snags, but does the theory work in practice?

I am looking forward to ice out!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
For the last 2 years I have used jagged nymphs whenever I could get them. I fish the barb less versions and wish all of my nymphs were available jagged. They not only stay out of the rocks they hold fish better. Try them, you will not be sorry!

Edit to qualify, I have gone though approximately 20 dozen in the last two years.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the last 2 years I have used jagged nymphs whenever I could get them. I fish the barb less versions and wish all of my nymphs were available jagged. They not only stay out of the rocks they hold fish better. Try them, you will not be sorry!

Edit to qualify, I have gone though approximately 20 dozen in the last two years.
View Quote
Groovy!

I usually lose my first couple of nymphs quickly due to my consistent inability to judge depth.  I am going to get a selection of my favorite patterns to try them out (the usual suspects- hare's ear, pheasant tail, etc.).

Nymphing has been most of what I have done so far as it gets results.  The poor visibility of our tannin loaded waters are probably a big part of this.

For some reason the trout up in the Upper Connecticut River were crazy about San Juan worms last fall.  I doubt there has ever been anything that is hot pink or cherry red (bloodworm midge, maybe?) in those waters, but the Brookies, rainbows and even the land-locked salmon gave them a nibble.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top