Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2014 7:18:17 PM EDT
A friend of ours stopped by for dinner today.  She lives with her family an hour NE of here on the Battenkill.  We exchanged overdue Christmas gifts; she pulled out a long linen covered stick and handed it to me.  I knew immediately that it was a rod (she used to work in the Orvis main office and knows I'm a fly fishing fiend).  Given that it was obviously ancient, I figured I'd find a low-grade wall hanger bamboo rod with disintegrated wraps and a finish in advanced stages of decomposition holding together delaminated strips of wood.

Boy was I wrong!  One decorative wrap is missing and one is loose, but it is otherwise solid and gorgeous!

Abbey and Imbrie No. 3 Duplex

5oz 7' brook rod or 6.5oz 9' open water rod

(it has a reducing plug so you can seat the mid section into the grip--you can see it in the lower left corner)

3 piece w/ extra tip

It's around 105 years old

Definitely going to fish this at least once (not sure anyone else ever has).

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It's beautiful. Any idea what it's worth?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not a high-end rod and the Duplex isn't a prized commodity.  Probably $125-150.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I love fishing bamboo. I was fortunate when I was young to have a fishing buddy who was a very active collector. Every time we went fishing he brought me a new rod to fish. Thanks to him I have been able to fish rods that cost more than most of my cars. I will always remember the feel of some of those rods.

In my income bracket the only quality bamboo I could afford was a Partridge. I fished that rod so hard that it has delaminated twice. It is now retired.

Fish that rod and enjoy every minute of it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 8:21:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice, we will need a stream report, with pictures of course!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I took it out into the yard today to find out what line it'll throw.  6wt loads the rod well.  Unfortunately, there's so much friction in the guides that it just won't shoot.  The guides are not visibly corroded, but I'm going to polish them and see if that helps.  They are tiny.  I'm a little skeptical if it'll work with a modern line (silk lines were much finer).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top