Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2013 1:55:31 PM EDT
What is your favorite or go to fly on your local water?

Mine is split between the Parachute Blue Wing Olive and the Prince Nymph.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue wing and sulfur
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on where I am fishing, when I am fishing, what I am fishing for.

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
My summer favorite is a little ant I tie. I take Rainy's cylinder foam and cut it to length and tie in a piece of bright foam or yarn on top. I tie in spanflex legs that make it look like a mini Chernobyl. I tie it in all ant colors and in sizes 16 & 18. The little streams I frequent, the trout go crazy for them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Muddler minnow.  When all else fails and I can't match the hatch, it's time to break out a Muddler minnow variant. So good it almost feels like using live bait.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Various crab and shrimp patterns. I rarely use baitfish patterns.

It all depends where I'm fishing across the state of FL and what I'm fishing for. I have no 'go to' fly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually start with an olive Wooly Bugger. I've caught a ton of fish on it and it's my go to fly.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 10:58:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Pheasant tail soft hackle.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Parachute Adams or Elk Hair Caddis up top, Hares Ear Nymph underwater. Can usually pull something out of the streams here with one of those.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My favorite combo is a #16 beadhead hare's ear with a #14 unweighted prince nymph on a dropper.

Dad brought up a good point though... you only catch fish with what you put on the end of the line.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Stayner ducktail.  Its a minnow imitator.  It has saved several trips from the skunk.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#13]
chartreuse sneaky pete

pan fish cannot resist
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
For local searun cuts, Aug-Oct: Borden Special
Everything else (streams): Gold-ribbed Hares Ear

Everything else (lake): black Wooly Bugger
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Variations of the kwan/toad...

Mostly this but with a pink marabou tail:

As seen here...

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Parachute PMD with a hares ear dropper is a great producer BUT I got to tell you 20/18/16 Grifith Gnat with red wrap eye is a real sleeper .....you can try every thing in the box and when that fails tie on the smallest and work up the Gnat  sizes and you will bust some lips! ...even waters /times that are mostly wet fly

Bear
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Parachute PMD with a hares ear dropper is a great producer BUT I got to tell you 20/18/16 Grifith Gnat with red wrap eye is a real sleeper .....you can try every thing in the box and when that fails tie on the smallest and work up the Gnat  sizes and you will bust some lips! ...even waters /times that are mostly wet fly

Bear
View Quote

There is a local guy around here that uses pretty much nothing but a Grifith Gnat with a pheasant tail dropper or a wooly bugger. It's a rare occasion when you pass him he is not hooked up..
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Parachute Adams or Elk Hair Caddis up top, Hares Ear Nymph underwater. Can usually pull something out of the streams here with one of those.
View Quote

Yep, nearly universal and work well in CO.  

This time of year is also awesome for hoppers as they float nearly all and the fish are hungry, water is low/clear and you can see 'em forever!  

B2

Oh yeah, still LOVE the Royal Coachman just for my long-gone granddad... For whatever reason, he loved that fly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I've always loved the blue quill dry. Fun to tie too. It's one of the first hatches here too.
Hendricksons, Green Drake, Light Cahills all have thier place. As far as dries go

I've caught more on a olive/black wolly bugger w/ a maribow tail than anything else.
Bead head hares ear for nymphs and I curse the damn 28 trico hatches. I cant see
the eyelet anymore
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 4:41:08 PM EDT
[#20]
cone head bugger in white.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Enrico Puglis's 'Grass Shrimp' - colors to vary pending water clarity/conditions.

http://i.imgur.com/H638v6O.jpg

View Quote

And where might I be able to get some of these?
Hell, I'd eat them! :)
Link Posted: 9/24/2013 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]
#4 or 6 weighted yellow stone with #20 bead head zugbug.
Stones are year round in every size.

Fall winter = egg  pattern with a bead head prince dropper

Trout are on the bottom 90% of the time, so are my flies.

This czech and polish nymphs are killer too

Post wing Adams or hairs ear dries.

Anything gray presented properly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Surf Candy if I'm out in the salt.
Link Posted: 10/2/2013 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Just tied these up for fall:

Link Posted: 10/3/2013 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is your favorite or go to fly on your local water?

Mine is split between the Parachute Blue Wing Olive and the Prince Nymph.
View Quote

Parachute Adams for dry.  Bitch Creek (ugly bastard) for nymph.
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Most of my fly fishing is for trout, a very selective feeder so many different flies are used. If I had to pick a few of my favorite flies they are as follows: spring time- parachute adams. Summer- hopper dropper set up with a hares ear as the dropper. Fall- various streamers, ants an other terrestrials. It really all just depends on what is hatching or not hatching.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 3:19:36 PM EDT
[#27]
depends on when, where and for what.

Smallies in the spring I slay em on red eye leeches and schultyzs s3 sculphins stripped through their holding spots. In the summer they hit great on boogle bugs, stacked hair frog divers and murdich minnows and dragon flies. Falls program is back to streamers swung slowly through runs.

Carp we knock em dead with Mulberry flies in the springish time, rest of the year small minnow streamers, carp darts and other locally tied carp flies.

Steelhead is def a senyo AI. Caught way more steelhead swinging an AI then any other fly for steelhead. If I carry a dozen flies for a day of steelheading 8 will be AI's of different colors etc. Rest wil likely be a couple of intruder style flies and a couple of steeches.

Salmon by far come on egg patterns during the day and at night they come on bueter crytal bullets and some real simple streamers (black bunny strip tied on a #6wet/nymph hook like a diachi 1550, with a small dubbin head). Those take litterally 30 seconds to tie apiece and will kill em at night.

Small trout I do good on elk wing caddis, BWO's and various other mayflies, hoppers (late summer) and small nymphs and streamers.

Unicorn Brown trout! gotta go with tommy lynch's drunk and disorderly deceiver, a circus peanut or a mad pup. Gotta throw "meat" to catch the big un's.

If I just need to catch a fish or if my daughter is with me I tie on a Tequilia streamer, basically a fat wooly bugger with yellow and blk marabou tail, copper catcus chenile body and yellow crazy legs. great high volume catching fly.

J-
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#28]
White Bett's Trim Gim Popper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Wolly bugger/Egg sucking leach.

If I had to have one fly that would be my choice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Pine squirrel leech.

Straight deadly. Simple to tie.

Pine Squirrel Leech
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top