Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 1:32:57 PM EDT
I have a 23' Dorado for pure fishing, but want to add a pontoon boat.

It needs to be rated for 12 passengers.

Intended uses - Lakes, ICW cruises, occasional fishing/scalloping/snorkeling & scuba. The fishing would primarily be lake and inside stuff - reds, snook, etc. 2' will be max "seas".

I haven't owned one before and would like to know various pros/cons on pontoon v. tritoon v. hurricane style deck boats.

It doesn't have to be quick, but 25-30 mph would be nice. I don't want to hang a $10K motor on it.

Budget is flexible, but I will be buying used. Not a snobby bunch - function over form all day, every day.

Please share any thoughts you have. Pros/cons, do's/don'ts. Fondness of particular makes.

Length, motor size, etc. Things to look for in used toons.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Read KB's "so you want to buy a used boat" thread.

As far as pontoon boats go, aluminum decking is heavier, but far superior to plywood decks.

Look for boats with large diameter pontoon logs. They have greater capacity and with you're

12 passenger requirement you need at least a 24ft boat.

If you want a 24ft pontoon boat to go 30mph loaded with 12 people, it will take 150+ hp to do it.

If buying used, look closely at the pontoons for corrosion and pitting especially at the water line.

Coated pontoons are a sign of pitting underneath, beware.

Look closely at the transom for cracking of the welds or aluminum and condition of the motor mount wood if it has any.

ETA2 -- Almost forgot, stay away from I/O (inboard/outboard) powered pontoon boats. Servicing them is a nightmare of the highest degree.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks KB!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Our 24' starcraft with 90 hp 4 stroke yamaha will do 22 mph with 6 adults on it.  cabin neighbor has a tri-toon with twin 100 mercs on it and that thing hauls ass with a dozen people on board.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our 24' starcraft with 90 hp 4 stroke yamaha will do 22 mph with 6 adults on it.  cabin neighbor has a tri-toon with twin 100 mercs on it and that thing hauls ass with a dozen people on board.
View Quote
Thanks - Ordinary ventures will have 4-6 passengers, but 4th of July, Memorial Day, etc., I imagine I'll have a full boat. I wouldn't ask the boat, packed with people, coolers, etc, to boogey.

Are there certain makes to cling to and others to avoid? Bentley, Starcraft, etc.?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump, as i have similar interests.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top