Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2015 8:55:58 PM EDT
I'm running a 4.3 liter Mercruiser in an older Stingray ski boat.

While I was on the lake today I went to accelerate and the engine revved but stopped accelerating.

I can nudge the shifter into "forward" and move slowly but if I try to give it any power it only revs but doesn't move forward. It acts kinda like a manual car transmission with a slipping clutch.

Any advice? (Other than take it to a mechanic...)
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#1]
do you move faster in reverse?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Adjust the link
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a spun hub in the prop. Remove the prop and look for rubber shavings or gooey rubber around the splined hub.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like a spun hub in the prop. Remove the prop and look for rubber shavings or gooey rubber around the splined hub.
View Quote

Yeah there seemed to be some rubber floating around the prop when we were taking it off.

I guess the simple solution is to replace the prop and see if that solves it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:43:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah there seemed to be some rubber floating around the prop when we were taking it off.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rubber shards in the hub are a tell tale sign of a spun hub. I've seen many. Marking the hub and prop with a witness mark of some sort and running it is a great test
as mentioned in a previous post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top