Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 9:21:01 PM EDT
Replaced water pump and some grommets now the dang thing will not shift right.

Nothing was moved BUT it did drag a little before hand.

Shift rod moves good into forward and reverse.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:22:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Does the shift rod into the gearcase operate ok when disconnected from the linkage in the cowling? I won't be at work until Sunday where I have a manual. What is the model number?
KB.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does the shift rod into the gearcase operate ok when disconnected from the linkage in the cowling? I won't be at work until Sunday where I have a manual. What is the model number?

KB.
View Quote
Yeah it shifts fine when off the motor.

J40rletb.

For some reason i just cannot get it adjusted.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you unscrew the shift rod from the gearcase? That rod has a specific measurement (length) it needs to be. I'm just looking at a parts diagram now, no manual till Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:49:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Did you unscrew the shift rod from the gearcase? That rod has a specific measurement (length) it needs to be. I'm just looking at a parts diagram now, no manual till Sunday.
View Quote
Not that i can remember.

No big hurry.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Totally slipped my mind today. Trying to get caught up from taking Saturday off to clean up after the storm. Tomorrow I promise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The shift rod height (in neutral)  for a short shaft motor should be 16 and 15/16 inches from the shift rod eyelet center to the mating surface of the gearcase where it mates to the mid section.
21 and 15/16 inches for a long shaft motor and 24 and 7/16 for an extra long shaft.
Are you sure you're getting the shift rod into the linkage in the lower cowling? It can be a real pain in the butt to get that in there and then get the "special bolt" through the eye in the shift rod.
ETA - I brought the manual home so let me know if you want pics of specific operations and instructions.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The shift rod height (in neutral)  for a short shaft motor should be 16 and 15/16 inches from the shift rod eyelet center to the mating surface of the gearcase where it mates to the mid section.

21 and 15/16 inches for a long shaft motor and 24 and 7/16 for an extra long shaft.

Are you sure you're getting the shift rod into the linkage in the lower cowling? It can be a real pain in the butt to get that in there and then get the "special bolt" through the eye in the shift rod.

ETA - I brought the manual home so let me know if you want pics of specific operations and instructions.
View Quote
Thank you for the measurements.

Just got home a bit ago from a boat ride to another village.

Will try and work on it tomorrow.

Yes i have been able to get it in without moving the shift rod out of neutral and been able to get the blot in with no trouble amazingly.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Big thank you KB.

Shifts good now.

Somebody screwed it all the way in.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad I could help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top