Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2015 11:20:11 AM EDT
My boat is 15 years old and my first trip to the lake this year I had a fishfinder shoot craps and found the steering system was extremely difficult to turn.

I did some research and found that my boat has a dual cable rack system from Teleflex.  A complete system (helm, rack, cables) is available on line for about $400 and change.  Having a shop replace steering can run you a pretty good penny with parts and labor.

I pulled the rack off and found the helm in good condition, but the cables were nearly seized.  After calling around I found the local dealer could get me the cables for $250ish and decided to do the work myself.

Long story short, 2 hours of work to pull the old cables, fish the new cables and hook everything up.

Steering went from two hands trying to force it to being able to drive with my finger tips.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You should have checked Amazon. Kits can be had for less than you paid for cables. Without knowing which kit you need you may have overpaid by as much as $100.

You did do well by choosing to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should have checked Amazon. Kits can be had for less than you paid for cables. Without knowing which kit you need you may have overpaid by as much as $100.

You did do well by choosing to do it yourself.
View Quote

I checked amazon, ran part numbers, tried a bunch of different searches and all came up with the same stuff.  I'm no good at the Amazon thing though so it might be out there.

Hopefully this set last as long as the originals.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually replace the helm unit also. Then again, I work at a shop so I'm liable if something goes south.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top