Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2014 8:08:52 PM EDT
Every time we go out on the water, we take our lives in to our own hands.  Unfortunately, all to often people learn the hard way what they should have done differently.  It's often said that a disaster is rarely caused by a single big mistake - but usually by a series of small mistakes.  Personally, I find value in reading reports of sinkings losses or rescues as a way to learn from the mistakes of others.  I'd encourage all to do the same.  Let's post stories and lessons learned here....

I'll start with this one - which was reported today: Hawaii Coast Guard Rescues Ron Ingraham 12 Days After Distress Calls

For more than a week, Missouri man Zakary Ingraham wrestled with the news that his 67-year-old father, Ron Ingraham, vanished while fishing off the coast of Hawaii. On Tuesday, a call from the Coast Guard jolted the younger Ingraham's emotions once again: They found his father floating in the water.

"Did you find his boat, too?" Zakary Ingraham asked the officer. "They said, 'Yeah, he's on his boat. He's alive.'"
View Quote

From what I've read on several forums Ron Ingraham did not travel with an EPIRB/PRB or other safety gear, and relied on his radio alone.  While there's a lot of debate about what actually led to his distress, 12 days of searching would have been eliminated  by an EPIRB.  Here's an interesting summary from a poster on cruisersforum where this was discussed:

He was in Honokohau Harbor, Kona, HI over last winter working on the boat. He had little money so was doing everything on the cheap. Tried to help him out but he was hard headed and hard to get him to listen. Had little to no experience with sailing though said he had fished in Alaska. Boat had minmal equipment so doubt he had an Epirb or much of any saftety equipment. Plan was to sail to Costa Rica where he had a friend. Had no self steering which made that voyage problematic.

At that time, he had a problem with the backstay being too short but was being pressured to leave the Harbor because he had overstayed the allowed time. Think he had a bad swage fitting that he had to replace. Did it with a mechanical terminal but had an issue with wire unlaying or something and had to cut more wire off than anticipated. When he left Kona, was headed to Molokai to hang out and work on the boat. Hadn't heard anything about him or the boat since until this.

Sailing the channels in the Islands can be brutal and really put a boat through a torture test. Current through the channels flows against the trades. Seas get very short and steep and the winds are usually 20k plus. Wouldn't be surprized if he had a sail or rigging failure that left him with marginal ability to carry sail.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's one from our very own hometown forum for Florida.  A member from IL asked for advice for his upcoming trip, and rented a boat to go diving.  It ended up sinking, and they were VERY lucky to have gotten picked up by the USCG just before dark.  It's worth reading.  

My boat sank - rescued by CG
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]
May 2014: Four men and one woman rescued from catamaran One World after abandoning ship off Sunshine Coast

United States mariner Wesley Garner and his crew of three males and one female were brought ashore at Mooloolaba after their harrowing night.

Mr Garner, owner of the catamaran One World, said he had been transporting the vessel from New Zealand to Brisbane, where he hoped to sell it for around $700,000.

Prior to this journey, the craft had been sailed all over for two years by his US-based family.

He said fortunately they had not been on board during this ordeal.

Mr Garner and crew were only 16 Nautical Miles from the mainland at 2am when the hull began to fill with water after being battered by 35-knot westerly winds and 3m seas.

“We were in the last leg of our journey,’’ Mr Garner said.

“The water was coming over the floorboards. We did our checks, but couldn’t detect where the leak was coming from.

“We had three bilge pumps working, but couldn’t stop the water.’’
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm slowly working myself up from lake sailing to where I feel comfortable putting in the gulf or the keys. Water will kill you quicker than most people realize.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
An interesting study by the USCG covering all reported accidents in 2013:

2013 Recreational Boating Statistics

I found page 19 particularly useful.  Fairly similar to years past, Alcohol use, Operator Inattention and Operator Inexperience were the top 3 cited causes of fatal accidents (75, 57 and 34 deaths each).  Top causes of non-fatal accidents resulting in injuries included Operator Inattention, Excessive Speed and Operator Inexperience (371, 289 and 262 injuries).  It's interesting to note that wakes caused 7 deaths and 170 injuries in 2013.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
US Sailing also has a great summary of safety incident reports in real time.  Their reports are phenomenal at breaking down details and causation.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:35:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Man rescued from burning boat in Chesapeake Bay

Rumor has it - this was an electrical fire.  He was luckily within view of other boats and within range of rescuers.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Always monitor the weather band.

be aware of tides and swell.

when you're asleep aboard at anchor....shit usually comes unglued.

watch out for Captain Stupid.

I've only seen rough seas.....never been in more trouble than that.  But when you start to question why the hell you're there...and not having fun anymore....there was probably a tide or weather report you missed.

now I'm only a Lake Powell boater...and I'm more scared than ever with my wife and son aboard...that lake has some serious lady issues  :)
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Exactly gents!  And that's why it's important to watch these stories - to learn from them.

Here's a tough one - the journey of Dom Mee.  Dom attempted a North Atlantic crossing in a 14' boat, which probably isn't a good idea in general.  He was rescued by the Canadian Coast Guard, and the footage captured here was recovered when his boat washed up on the shore of Ireland a year later.  First time I've seen a 'found footage' sample from real life!

language is NSFW.  Real action starts around 7 minutes.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#9]
A lot, but not all of, the incidents that had tragic outcomes that have resulted on large bodies of water or out to sea, in regards to recreational boaters and recreational fishermen and women has resulted many of times to not having an E.P.I.R.B. on hand, or Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon.

The story below would have never came to be written if only they just cut the stuck anchor, instead of trying to improperly retrieve it. As mentioned in the original posting of this topic, it was a series of events that led to the deaths of these athletes.

Improper anchoring flipped NFL player's boat in gulf accident that killed three, report says
(the articles title should of read, "Improper anchor retrieval flipped..."

For all the boaters here, I encourage you all to download and read through these manuals. USCG Boat Crew Seamanship Manual and USCG Rescue and Survival Systems Manual

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Couldn't agree more AR-4C.  By the way - for anyone that doesn't have an EPIRB or PRB, ACR is running a $50 rebate through the end of the year.  Between that and the holiday sales, you should be able to get a good EPIRB for ~$300 to $350 and a good PRB for $200 or less.  Be aware that the USCG was responding to so many fake/false calls that they've instituted a policy that they will only respond to registered EPIRBs/PRBs.  Please be sure to go to NOAA and register your devices.  Consider including helpful information such as a description of your boat.  I note in mine that the owner will be carrying a portable VHF and monitoring channel 16.  Also be aware that the batteries need to be changed by a service center every few years.  The batteries will cost you almost as much as a new device, so it's always a painful (but necessary) process.  

Here's todays story of failure and loss:

For those not familiar with Cay Sal Bank - they're a batch of beautiful islands roughly between the Keys and Cuba.  They are pretty much barren, uninhabited, and where failed Cuban refugee attempts frequently wash up (leaving rather desperate people stranded there on a regular basis).  Ironically, these Bahamian islands have recently become the subject of scrutiny because foreign vessels (including US fisherman) have fished there for years without going through customs to the Bahamas.  The US govt is cooperating heavily (if not outright funding) an overwatch of these islands to prevent poaching (without paying taxes/fees).  This man was likely saved because of this recent effort to protect Bahamian taxation, although the article of course makes it sound like a C130 just randomly spotted him .  

An American man who spent six days stranded on an island in the Bahamas was rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard, officials said Tuesday.

Larry Sutterfield, 39, was on a dinghy that went adrift and landed on an island in Cay Sal Bank, Coast Guard officials said.
View Quote

There is some good video of them spotting him and dropping him supplies.  The guy seemed to be surrounded by dried vegetation, and didn't even have a fire going!

So as usual - I suspect there was a series of failures here.  His dinghy presumably had a mechanical failure or ran out of gas.  He was caught in a current without knowing what was downstream.  He didn't have any kind of anchoring system, and if he had oars - he couldn't overcome current/wind.  He had no radio, EPIRB/PRB or other rescue/communication devices.  He must have either not had a cell or was so far offshore that it didn't work by the time he was in trouble.  He apparently didn't have a float plan or anyone who would come looking for him after disappearing for 6 days.  He also presumably didn't have any basic provisions with him, including the ability to make fire.  

With the gulf stream flowing north - I'm not really clear how he could have drifted south to Cay Sal.  I would have expected him to drift past the US and Bahamas and into the north atlantic in the winter time.  Darwin was definitely cheated on this one.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
And another one:

2 rescued off NC coast

These people were rescued ONLY because they had an EPIRB/PRB with them!
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#12]
" The more a man goes to sea, the more respect he gives to the powers of Mother nature ". The first statement made by the instructor when my 2 sons and I took the 8 hour USCG Boating safety course. Anyone that boats should invest the time and take this course if possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top