Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2014 8:13:28 AM EDT

Hello all, new to the site and looking to get my first fishing boat.
I wanted something modest and affordable to start with having learned from doing it the other way in so many other hobbies.  :lol:

All I know about this boat is this is a friend of a friends whose Father passed last year and he just wants it out of the garage.

14' v-hull Aluminum Super Gamefisher, Sears. Do not know year on boat or motors. Any info from just looking?
Two motors, Mercury 7.5hp and Evinrude 6hp
Trailer with good tires and spare.

From the pics you can see it is a general fishing setup. I am not familiar with all the gadgets on it like that spool thing on the port side.
From the Son "It was used exclusively on Torch Lake in Northern MI and supposedly has a really long anchor line?"

I am picking it up Saturday and would like to know what to look for if you have any advice. I won't be able to get more pics or info until then. I have not seen it in person, deal will be face to face.
I have extensive experience on Sailboats 32' Pearson, dabbled in fishing from borrowed/rented boats for the last 5 yrs, Married to a great Lady and have two teens 18 and 16, all of whom LOVE TO FISH.

$800 for all

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
For $800 buy it now. Be sure to examine any wood flooring or transom that may be involved. Look at the date stamp on the tires. Replace as needed. Put a set of "Bearing Buddies" on the hubs. Test run the engine(s) in a trashcan if possible. Inspect anything that can corrode, rot out, and replace as needed. That boat looks  just like the boat I grew up with in Florida in the 60's-80's I had ages of fun in it. Smooth sailing to ya.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#2]
My 12 footer was made by star craft, this one prob is too.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Gamefisher was just a Sears brand, made by someone else. The boat looks to be in decent shape and that type is pretty easy to fix. The motor is rather old and sitting unused in a garage is not good for a motor. If you can do basic work on an outboard yourself then you may be fine. They probably need carb, fuel pump and impeller maintenance at minimum, not bad if you can do it but $100-150 each if you pay someone. Trailers are pretty simple as long as it's not rusted out. Would probably be a fine fishing boat for two, maybe three, people on small/calm waters.

ETA: the reel thing on the side is a downrigger, used for trolling
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#4]
In addition to what has already been mentioned. Check the wiring on the Mercury. The older Merc wiring insulation tends to rot away and expose the bare wire allowing corrosion to form. Still, even without engines, $800 for boat and trailer is a good deal out here. I'd buy it in a second.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Boat looks to be in very good shape and well cared for over the years.  Jump on it if you haven't.  The Merc appears to be around a 1969-1970 model.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, excellent tips. I will update Saturday.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
That motor is not peeing out the tail tail.  Water pump needs replacing or check for obstruction before your overheat that motor.  EDIT after watching full screen I can see water coming out but it should be shooting a good solid steady steam the whole time and I can't tell if it is by the video.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 6:50:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That motor is not peeing out the tail tail.  Water pump needs replacing or check for obstruction before your overheat that motor.  EDIT after watching full screen I can see water coming out but it should be shooting a good solid steady steam the whole time and I can't tell if it is by the video.
View Quote

We had it out for the first time last night. Ran fine. I will check the water coming out better when I get home today.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Do yourself a favor and put a new water pump impeller in it. It only takes about 10 seconds for a motor to overheat running full speed if the impeller takes a dump. It should be done every year anyways.
ETA - Some Mercs won't pee a steady stream until the thermostat opens but still change the impeller.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:25:36 PM EDT
[#11]
New impellers and plugs in both motors, here is the Evinrude 6hp

My son taking his Grandmother and Great Aunt out for a little bass fishing. Halfmoon Lake in Pinckney Mi

Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Another thing I found in the boat is an old Schaller spool for handlining. Made a quicky bracket to hold it.

That caused my FIL to start telling me how he was taught by his dad and has all the gear.
Known the man since 1991 and he never mentioned it once. Anyway he brought his setup over and we put it on the boat for a trip out with my son. Interesting technique that will take a while to get used to.

Went out on the Detroit River last night and instead of walleye we found this nice smallmouth. 2.94# 17-1/2".
Caught it on the handline using a 5" jointed Rapala in about 18' of water.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You won with that setup at that price

No go post it In this thread

Poor folk boat thread
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice rig, looks like good times. Money can't buy those,congratulations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top