Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2013 4:01:39 PM EDT
My local dealer has both for $845.00
The coosa is stock and the ride 135 has rid holders and a rudder. The coosa gets rave reviews but I'm wondering how useful the rudder on the ride 135 will be? Anyone use a wilderness system ride 135 that can chime in?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with either and only got my first kayak (Ocean Kayak Trident 13) a couple of months ago, so keep that in mind, but wanted to pass along a couple of thoughts from my experience shopping.  

Where do you plan on using the kayak?  I would start with that question.  The Coosa (11' 2") is a bit shorter than the Ride 135 (13' 6") and will handle better in rivers and smaller areas.  However, if you're planning on covering any distance the Coosa will also be quite a bit slower.  Also, from what I've read, the rudder isn't really meant for steering on a kayak, but more to keep you tracking in the right direction while paddling.  My Trident, at the same length as the Ride 135, doesn't have a rudder, but I haven't really wished I had one.  I've been out on really windy days and while a rudder could have been nice, it wasn't a huge deal.  I love the speed though.  Lets me stay out and fish a little bit longer and then haul arse back when I need to.

I was also looking at the Ride 135 during my research, but went away from it after I saw how much they weigh.  The website shows 82 lb, and one kayak forum I was browsing had some actual weights of various kayaks (contributed by users), and I seem to recall it was a tad heavier than listed.  Could be wrong though.  If you can, get over to that dealer and pick them both up.  Make sure you can maneuver them both by yourself and, keep in mind, it may be just YOU loading it onto the car after a long day of paddling.

If you're planning to stand while fishing, I would think the Coosa would be a bit more stable.  

Storage capacity/ability seems to give the Ride the edge, but you'll have a better opinion in person than I ever would.  FWIW, I pretty much never use the large front hatch on my kayak while fishing.  I keep my waders, bait bucket, and a couple other things up there when not in use.  The Trident has a large "Mod Pod" hatch down the middle of it, so I find myself accessing that and my milk crate stuff behind the seat more than anything.  I thought about the Jackson Cuda for a while, but decided against it because the little storage cubbies looked way too tiny to me.  

Although you've got a dealer close-by, you can check out www.austinkayak.com for reviews of the Ride, if interested.  They don't carry Jackson kayaks from what I see.  That price ($845) for either sounds like a steal though!

ETA:  Just priced that Ride 135 w/rudder on the ACK website...$1269!!  They're both gonna be good deals at that price- whatever you buy you could probably try it out and sell it for a profit if you don't like it.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, did ya get one or what?  Don't keep me in suspense!  
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been on a Coosa and a Ride 115.  If you're doing moving water, go for the Coosa.  If you're doing open water, go for the Ride 135.  Both are great boats, and with the new seats for the Ride, they're equally comfortable.  

You might also want to take a look at the Old Town Predator.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't bought one yet. With the holidays approaching I decided to hold off. I hope to snag a deal after Xmas. On the flip side I'm going to try my hand at building a drift boat. It will be a long process but the yak can absorb some water time while the drift boat is under construction.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I  can't  speak  to  the  " ride " , however  I  picked  up a  wilderness  systems  pungo  120  and  absolutely  LOVE  my  boat .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top