Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2013 5:54:15 PM EDT
I'm looking for my first boat and unfortunately our budget will only allow so much right now. I'm looking at a 1994 Key West 1900DC with a 115 Mariner (I think it's original to the boat). The boat appears to be in good shape considering its age, no significant cracks or gouges. The motor started up just fine on a hose in the sellers driveway, we are trying to work out a water test (I won't buy without it. I've read the buying a used boat thread and I'm trying to cover all the points).
Are there any issues with this model or year of either boat or motor I should be aware of? I know at this point how it has been maintained is a huge factor that unfortunately is hard to determine. Will a 94 Key West 1900DC be wood free or was there wood in them back then?

Updated below
Link Posted: 8/19/2013 11:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can get the serial number of the engine, I can look up any service bulletins for it, see if there are any unusual or expensive "fixes" that pop up. I can't think of any specific issues with that model that stand out in my mind. Mariners are basically a Mercury in grey paint.
Don't know anything about the hull..sorry.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Key west made good hulls then but I'm pretty sure they had wood transoms, stringers, etc

Jump up and down on the outboard and see if the transom flexes, check for soft spots, cracks, etc

It should run up to high 30sMPH or so on the water
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 9:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Key west made good hulls then but I'm pretty sure they had wood transoms, stringers, etc

Jump up and down on the outboard and see if the transom flexes, check for soft spots, cracks, etc

It should run up to high 30sMPH or so on the water
View Quote

I checked with Key West forum today and they said they transitioned during the early '90s but couldn't say if this particular model/ year was wood free yet or not. I'm thinking I may end up passing and waiting/saving to buy a little newer.
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Update: we have decided to pass on the Key West and found another boat we are looking at.

Any opinions of Evinrude 90hp 2 stroke (1996 model V-4)? I found mostly positive opinions of reliability just a bit thirsty.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#5]
DO A COMPRESSION CHECK! Warm up engine on the hose, pull the plugs and check each cylinder. You will have to hold the carb butterfly's full open manually when you spin it over to get a correct reading. Check spark with a spark gap checker (you can make your own in about 15 minutes with a small piece of plywood, 4 alligator clips, a little wire, 4 nails and 4 old plugs). Spark should jump at least 7/16". Drain a little gear case lube and make sure it's not a milk shake. If it all checks out ask for a demo ride.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I ended up buying a Scout 172 Dorado with the Evinrude 90 on it. Seems to be a real clean, well cared for boat and passed all the checks (compression was 125,125,120,120) and it water tested fine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The Evinrude should be good for many many years if taken care of and on the plus side parts are easily available should you have problems down the road.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
We have 12 of those Scout Dorados in our rental fleet with 90HP 2-stroke Mercs on them. The hulls are practically indestructable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We have 12 of those Scout Dorados in our rental fleet with 90HP 2-stroke Mercs on them. The hulls are practically indestructable.
View Quote

Excellent

This is my first "real" boat (I've had canoes and Gheenoes) so I hope it holds up to my learning mistakes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Our fleet has been crashed, bashed, beached and generally just plain mistreated (by customers) so I think it will hold up just fine.
There is NO wood in the boat to worry about rotting out. In fact, this is the second fleet of Scouts we've had and in hindsight, we should have just re-powered the old hulls instead of ordering all new boats. The old hulls were cosmetically "dinged up" but still solid.
The only weak point with the Scouts are the floor hatches. We have a couple that are cracked and "spongey", but we think it's from "heavyweight" customers jumping up and down on them.
When we got the first fleet, we ran 125HP Merc 2-strokes on them and was able to get 53 MPH out of them. Way too fast for rentals. So we disabled the trim and kept them trimmed down and ran a 19 inch pitch prop. This put enough drag on the hull to keep speeds down to about 40MPH with a light load.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Our fleet has been crashed, bashed, beached and generally just plain mistreated (by customers) so I think it will hold up just fine.
There is NO wood in the boat to worry about rotting out. In fact, this is the second fleet of Scouts we've had and in hindsight, we should have just re-powered the old hulls instead of ordering all new boats. The old hulls were cosmetically "dinged up" but still solid.
The only weak point with the Scouts are the floor hatches. We have a couple that are cracked and "spongey", but we think it's from "heavyweight" customers jumping up and down on them.
When we got the first fleet, we ran 125HP Merc 2-strokes on them and was able to get 53 MPH out of them. Way too fast for rentals. So we disabled the trim and kept them trimmed down and ran a 19 inch pitch prop. This put enough drag on the hull to keep speeds down to about 40MPH with a light load.
View Quote

I ran this one at 37mph off GPS on my phone the day I took it out. That was plenty fast enough for me. Does that seem about right with a 90hp Evinrude 2 stroke (20 gal of fuel, 2 adults and a kid)?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#12]
That seems about right, but check the max RPM's you are getting vs. what the tag on the transom bracket (on the engine) says.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top