Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2013 6:15:30 AM EDT
Thinking about pulling the trigger on one as a lake fishing boat. Anyone have one?

Pros/cons?

Looking to buy new or slightly used.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Underpowered and questionable dealer support. Most I see have the 60HP rigged standard. A over 1000lb bare hull (over 2000lb rigged) with 2 full livewells, full fuel, 2 or 3 people with gear and throw in a couple hundred pounds of wet carpet and you will have to run the piss out of that 60 just to get anywhere. Even the optional max hull rated 75HP is marginal IMHO. That thing needs at least a 90HP or better yet a 115HP.

Sorry, I would keep shopping for something with enough power you don't have to run the piss out of all the time. Better on fuel and the engine will last much longer.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#2]
While I agree with the above post about the power these boats run decent with the 60 and quite well with the 75 opti.  Everyone I know that owns one of these newer Trackers is really pleased and the quailty has been very good.  The smooth ride seems to be the biggest selling point with these hulls.  I would not hesitate buying one unless I could find a Lowe or Express for the same price with the same options.  Most all the aluminum boats manufacturers are using the same lower hp ratings now so that is becoming a moot point now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had mine for about a month now (2013 175txw).

I'm pretty pleased with it so far.  It is a big improvement over the 14' jon boat we had been fishing out of.  It has been comfortable to fish out of from smaller ponds to reservoirs up to Lake Anna.

The only things I want to change are the fish finder (I want a unit with built in GPS) and the underpowered trolling motor.  Both can wait til I save up the cash, the boat is fun to fish out of as is!  The only 'option' I chose at the time of purchase was the extended warranty for the Mercury motor.

I can say that the folks at Anna's Marine Center are really nice and easy to work with.   I have no doubt they will take care of me should any problems arise.   I would definitely recommend going there over going to Bass Pro or anywhere else.   (and you still get the BassPro discount card if you buy a tracker boat from Anna's!)

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm pretty pleased with it so far.  It is a big improvement over the 14' jon boat we had been fishing out of.  It has been comfortable to fish out of from smaller ponds to reservoirs up to Lake Anna.
View Quote

The only things I want to change are the fish finder (I want a unit with built in GPS) and the underpowered trolling motor.  Both can wait til I save up the cash, the boat is fun to fish out of as is!  The only 'option' I chose at the time of purchase was the extended warranty for the Mercury motor.

I can say that the folks at Anna's Marine Center are really nice and easy to work with.   I have no doubt they will take care of me should any problems arise.   I would definitely recommend going there over going to Bass Pro or anywhere else.   (and you still get the BassPro discount card if you buy a tracker boat from Anna's!)

Went by the tracker store and will be ordering one on Monday (they didn't have one in stock). Should arrive in 4-6 weeks.

I'm going with the 75 optimax.

I also want a GPS/fish finder combo at the helm station. Will probably use the finder that came with it and move it to the front with a trolling motor transducer mount.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Went by the tracker store and will be ordering one on Monday (they didn't have one in stock). Should arrive in 4-6 weeks.

I also want a GPS/fish finder combo at the helm station. Will probably use the finder that came with it and move it to the front with a trolling motor transducer mount.

If you are talking about the BassPro tracker store and haven't googled em yet, you might want to.  Lots of unhappy folks with the service departments at BassPro....which is a big reason I went where I did to get my boat.  I feel pretty confident should I have problems, my dealer will help me out (I didn't get much of a warm, fuzzy feeling when I asked questions at BassPro concerning warranty issues like hull leaks, etc).  

I considered the 75 optimax, but stayed with the 60 since I never have had a gas motor on a boat before and will be spending a good amount of time on electric only waterways.

Keep in mind that if you do stick the fish finder up front there are unused leads under the front trim/trolling motor plug panel/controls that I believe are there for such a purpose.  I haven't gotten around to checking them for current, etc, but I am willing to bet that is what they are for.  

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are talking about the BassPro tracker store and haven't googled em yet, you might want to.  Lots of unhappy folks with the service departments at BassPro....which is a big reason I went where I did to get my boat.  I feel pretty confident should I have problems, my dealer will help me out (I didn't get much of a warm, fuzzy feeling when I asked questions at BassPro concerning warranty issues like hull leaks, etc).  

I considered the 75 optimax, but stayed with the 60 since I never have had a gas motor on a boat before and will be spending a good amount of time on electric only waterways.

Keep in mind that if you do stick the fish finder up front there are unused leads under the front trim/trolling motor plug panel/controls that I believe are there for such a purpose.  I haven't gotten around to checking them for current, etc, but I am willing to bet that is what they are for.  

Not going through BassPro.

Thanks on the info on the leads for the bow-mount fish finder.

I'll post pics and AAR when I get it.....stay tuned

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not going through BassPro.

Thanks on the info on the leads for the bow-mount fish finder.

I'll post pics and AAR when I get it.....stay tuned

That's good to hear!   Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Got word yesterday that it arrived at the dealer. Going to pick it up this Saturday.

I'll post some pics and initial review once I get it home and combed over. My wallet is sweating already.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats! When you take it out, note the wide open throttle RPM's (once the break in is complete of course) . With a typical load and trimmed properly, it should turn at or near the top of the recommended RPM range noted on the engine's mounting bracket.
Good luck and don't forget the drain plug!
Link Posted: 8/24/2013 8:30:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Congrats! When you take it out, note the wide open throttle RPM's (once the break in is complete of course) . With a typical load and trimmed properly, it should turn at or near the top of the recommended RPM range noted on the engine's mounting bracket.

Good luck and don't forget the drain plug!
View Quote

I went with the 75HP Merc Optimax. Hope to maybe pick it up this afternoon. I have a 4-day weekend next week and will probably take it out then. Can't wait to get it out and get a hook wet.

Link Posted: 9/2/2013 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my 2013 TF w/ 60hp merc (Coastal Edition) last Monday...damn nice boat, big upgrade over my Pro Team 165 (25HP MERC) that I had since 2001. I have been wanting bigger boat for a few years now.

Took the  boat out last Tuesday for the initial 2 hr break in. This is one smooth riding boat, and after my PT 165 its like being aboard a carrier

During the second hour of operation @ 4500 rpm(3/4 throttle) I was getting 26 mph and @ 5100 rpm  i was getting 32 - 35 mph depending on how I trimmed the motor. I could only go wide open throttle for a minute at a time but it gave me a little taste of future early morning runs to some of my favorite crappie holes.

I have to replace the t/m with a Powerdrive V2 55lb (variable speed ) and add my rod holders (driftmasters t-250) and H-Bird 597ciHD to the front and I will be set to chase crappie. I am also going to add a H-Bird 998siHD at the console.

Going to name the boat "Crappie Attitude".

Not the fastest boat on the lake by any means...but it beats tooling around the lake with a 25 Merc. This one is definitly a keeper...time to add the rod holders and go put some slabs in the livewell.

pics....

Link Posted: 9/6/2013 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I recently sold a Tracker 175TXW w/ 60 motor.  I bought it new in 2007 from the Atlanta BassPro and had it serviced by them yearly.  It was great and not underpowered at all.  But then I used it for fishing not drag racing around the lake like a lunatic.  I was happy with the boat and the Tracker store at BassPro.

The only reason I sold it was because I bought a 31’ travel trailer.  Since I can throw a plastic 4’x8’ boat in the back of the pickup and pull the trailer, the Tracker was no longer needed.

I think you will be happy with a Tracker.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I got my 2013 TF w/ 60hp merc (Coastal Edition) last Monday...damn nice boat, big upgrade over my Pro Team 165 (25HP MERC) that I had since 2001. I have been wanting bigger boat for a few years now.

Took the  boat out last Tuesday for the initial 2 hr break in. This is one smooth riding boat, and after my PT 165 its like being aboard a carrier

During the second hour of operation @ 4500 rpm(3/4 throttle) I was getting 26 mph and @ 5100 rpm  i was getting 32 - 35 mph depending on how I trimmed the motor. I could only go wide open throttle for a minute at a time but it gave me a little taste of future early morning runs to some of my favorite crappie holes.

I have to replace the t/m with a Powerdrive V2 55lb (variable speed ) and add my rod holders (driftmasters t-250) and H-Bird 597ciHD to the front and I will be set to chase crappie. I am also going to add a H-Bird 998siHD at the console.

Going to name the boat "Crappie Attitude".

Not the fastest boat on the lake by any means...but it beats tooling around the lake with a 25 Merc. This one is definitly a keeper...time to add the rod holders and go put some slabs in the livewell.

pics....

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/175tf.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/875.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/792.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/5153.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/6111.jpg
View Quote

Good looking boat. How do you like the vinyl flooring? I was very close to going with that, but read some reviews that it gets pretty hot in the sun.

I owned a fiberglass center console when I lived in FL. I like how easy it was to clean up. This Tracker will be my first boat with carpet...still not used to the idea. But, we'll see.

UPDATE: I picked it up about a week and a half ago. It looks awesome. Was going to take it out this AM but my youngest boy was up all night with croup. Guess I'll have to take it out next weekend.

I upgraded the fish finder with the Lowrance Elite 5 GPS/Plotter. it uses the same transducer as the stock one, so the only installing I had to do was drill holes for the mount. Took 5 minutes.

I plan on mounting the stock one in the bow, using the trolling motor mount that came with the new one. Win-Win.

Going to Cabela's today for some rods and gear. I'm going out next weekend to hunt some lake trout (I'm not in VA anymore).

I'll try and take some pics and post later today.

Overall, I'm happy with it...just need to float it and get past the motor break-in.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Good looking boat. How do you like the vinyl flooring? I was very close to going with that, but read some reviews that it gets pretty hot in the sun.

I owned a fiberglass center console when I lived in FL. I like how easy it was to clean up. This Tracker will be my first boat with carpet...still not used to the idea. But, we'll see.

UPDATE: I picked it up about a week and a half ago. It looks awesome. Was going to take it out this AM but my youngest boy was up all night with croup. Guess I'll have to take it out next weekend.

I upgraded the fish finder with the Lowrance Elite 5 GPS/Plotter. it uses the same transducer as the stock one, so the only installing I had to do was drill holes for the mount. Took 5 minutes.

I plan on mounting the stock one in the bow, using the trolling motor mount that came with the new one. Win-Win.

Going to Cabela's today for some rods and gear. I'm going out next weekend to hunt some lake trout (I'm not in VA anymore).

I'll try and take some pics and post later today.

Overall, I'm happy with it...just need to float it and get past the motor break-in.
View Quote

The couple of times I have had it out the flooring hasn't gotten to hot so far...I was able to walk barefoot on it. Still remains to be seen how hot  it will get in July in the Gulf.

I will check out the Lowrance Elite 5...didn't know it used the same transducer as the X-PRO 4 that it comes stock with.

I am installin my new T/M tomorrow and will be fishing Tuesday and Wendsday, getting ready for a tournament this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top