Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2016 11:12:42 AM EDT
I'm not an experienced fisherman, but I go when I can. I caught my first ever redfish today. It was even more fun than what folks have told me. My dad caught one, too. His third ever. We were in the intracoastal in St. Augustine, Florida tied off underneath the Vilano Bridge. Funny story, my dad caught his with a piece of cut mullet, but the fish never ate it. After we released his he wanted to pitch the bait for a fresh one so I grabbed it, hooked it and threw it out and 5 minutes later I was fighting my red. So both fish were caught with the same piece of mullet!

Mine was 30" and 9lbs and my dad's was 37" and 17lbs. It was a fun morning. Both were thrown back for being longer than the slot.

</a>

</a>" />

Eta: grammar
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:18:23 AM EDT
[#1]
epic day my friend!!!

I like the tail spots.  I think it's for predator distraction....anyone?
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
epic day my friend!!!

I like the tail spots.  I think it's for predator distraction....anyone?
View Quote

Thank you!

And after a quick Google search, I believe you are correct!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Great job and hope there are many more for you. And the spot, or spots, towards the tail are considered predator distractions where a predator will go towards the tail and they can escape easier.
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
large grouper, barracuda and sharks are their natural predators?

nice boat OP.  I've never been up as far as St Augustine but grew up on the water from upper keys to sebastian.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
large grouper, barracuda and sharks are their natural predators?

nice boat OP.  I've never been up as far as St Augustine but grew up on the water from upper keys to sebastian.

View Quote

Not my boat, technically my dad and I are members of the Freedom Boat Club. It's great!
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats, but you're supposed to eat mullet and not use it for bait!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:11:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, what is that hole in your Dad's fish's side? Or is it just a blood stain?

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
But one note: I wouldn't show that pic of you on any fishing forums unless you're prepared to be flamed.  It is bad practice to hold a Red vertically or by the lip or gills and definitely not off a scale hook.  Among other issues, their insides will travel south when you do that.  Just an FYI.
View Quote

I'm trying not to have a coronary actually.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Now get yourself a fly rod and Go after them on top.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Best red fishing I have done is up there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice catches!  Your Dad's in particular is a pig.

But one note: I wouldn't show that pic of you on any fishing forums unless you're prepared to be flamed.  It is bad practice to hold a Red vertically or by the lip or gills and definitely not off a scale hook.  Among other issues, their insides will travel south when you do that.  Just an FYI.

And yes, Reds love mullet chunks.  We take some frozen mullet on almost every trip out.  And when we forget to bring it, my son whines that its the reason we aren't catching https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

View Quote

Thanks for the helpful tip and knowledge. My dad and I are pretty inexperienced and are just trying to have fun. We don't know a lot so we try our best to research and learn from the locals at the dock, etc as much as we can. Sadly, this tidbit never came up in any research or conversations! I'll be sure to never hold one that way again (if I'm lucky enough to catch another!) and I'll share this knowledge with my dad!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just blood. Interesting note, though: his tail is cropped out of the pic, but a good portion of the top of his tail was missing with some pretty good teeth marks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Just blood. Interesting note, though: his tail is cropped out of the pic, but a good portion of the top of his tail was missing with some pretty good teeth marks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Salt Life.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Chasing tailing reds on the flood tides is helluva good time!

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Saw this on Florida Sportsman yesterday...

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=214649&stc=1&d=1467035491
He at least Mr. Sharkey left the cheeks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a Salt Life.  

Saw this on Florida Sportsman yesterday...

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=214649&stc=1&d=1467035491
He at least Mr. Sharkey left the cheeks!

Need to log in to view.  Is it this one?

Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/5/2016 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice fish, OP!  Reds are my favorite fish to catch.  There's no comparison between a 10# bass and a 10# red.  For future reference, let me share the absolute best way to cook them.  In Texas, we call it "Redfish on the Halfshell".

Filet the fish leaving the skin and scales on the filets.
Wash and pat dry with paper towels.
Place skin down in a sheet cake pan.
In a small sauce pan, melt a half to a whole stick of butter.
Mix with a half to whole small bottle of Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing. (Half stick to half bottle)
Liberally baste the filets, season with garlic powder, onion powder, Tony's, etc and placi in the refrigerator.
Start your charcoal fire.  When ready, place the filets directly over the coals.  The butter mixture will have glazed the filets.
As it cooks, the skin will curl up becoming like a dish that will hold all the seasonings and juices.  It will turn black but will not burn and will protect the meat.
When the filets start to show layers and it is done, remove fron the skin with spatulas.
Serve with wild rice and fresh asparagus with hollandaise sauce.

My friends, there ain't much better!  It's so good it will get you out of trouble for staying gone too long fishing and will likely present other benefits!  
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]

My good friend lost his leg this week because of an infection he got while flood tide fishing in Palm Valley
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn. Sorry to hear that man.

I wear Simms wading boots to protect my feet. Did he get cut while he was out or already have an injury?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Already had a cut and went into the water
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info. I'll put a warning out to the fly club. Lots of wading going on there.

Hope your buddy makes a quick recovery.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
My wife is going to want to kill you!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top