Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2015 10:05:26 AM EDT
I only have one trap in the water at work, but I helped my neighbor set a bunch in the back country. He got 30 claws yesterday, I got 4. Who else is proud to have crabs??!

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Man I am jealous. LOVE some stone crabs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Stone Crabs are on a VERY short list of perfect foods.

I'd love to live in the Keys and have my own traps.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Wife just made scr[:Pmbled eggs with the crab meat avocado and peppers. Delicious!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Blue crabs>stone crabs.  

Must have old bay.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm super jelly right now. I would lay into any kind of crab right now
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Blue crabs>stone crabs.  

View Quote

That is fucking HILARIOUS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Blue crabs>stone crabs.  

Must have old bay.
View Quote

We get those down here too, but not for another few months. I don't have any good spots to trap them though, and I don't feel like wading through a tidal swamp with a net.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We get those down here too, but not for another few months. I don't have any good spots to trap them though, and I don't feel like wading through a tidal swamp with a net.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Blue crabs>stone crabs.  

Must have old bay.

Yep.  But the must be cooked like they do in Maryland or the suck.

Gulf Blues are flown up in the winter.

Link Posted: 10/18/2015 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Just checked the trap this morning

Link Posted: 10/24/2015 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#10]

So what's the regulations with them? You are only allowed to remove one claw from each crab?

Link Posted: 10/25/2015 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So what's the regulations with them? You are only allowed to remove one claw from each crab?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One claw only in South Carolina I believe, but you can (for now) take both claws in Florida. It's not really encouraged though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One claw only in South Carolina I believe, but you can (for now) take both claws in Florida. It's not really encouraged though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait, you yank off the claws and throw the crab back?  The claws regrow?
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Outstanding. And triple tails hanging out down current of the lines is good too.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes. Stone Crab is Vegan meat!
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I would find many, many crabs in the rocks at the base of the bridge in the East pass between Ft Walton and Okaloosa Island.
It was an easy beach dive. Go to the base of the pile and pick crabs all the way up the top of the pile.
Good times, good eats.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Another pair of crabs relieved of their right arms. Mullet seems to be working out as bait.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Only stone crab I ever caught was when I stuck my hand in a crevice and it attached itself to my hand.

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:54:42 PM EDT
[#18]
How do they survive with both claws removed?  I bet they get anoyed with constant removing of a claw.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:24:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

How do they survive with both claws removed?  I bet they get anoyed with constant removing of a claw.
View Quote
You're only Supposed to take one.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:37:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Nice looking crabs.
Here in CA we call em Rock crabs and keep the whole thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#21]
My crabber stopped by the other day while I had a charter and dropped off a few lbs of claws for me. It's nice being friends with a crabber!!! My clients were dinner was amazing!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Taking both claws increases mortality by 19%. It is common in FL to take both claws.

"Under experimental conditions, but using commercially accepted
techniques, 47% of stone crabs that had both claws removed died after
declawing, and 28% of single claw amputees died; 76% of the casualties
died within 24 hours of declawing."
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Really wishing I had got orders back to Florida. Not gonna lie, I'm jealous that I don't have crabs
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Really wishing I had got orders back to Florida. Not gonna lie, I'm jealous that I don't have crabs
View Quote

Not to rub it in, but now that the stone crab season ended, I've been venturing out and found a spot for Blue crab traps in the mangroves. I'm working on registration and an outboard for a Jon boat, then you can expect a lot of blue crab picture threads.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#26]
hmmmm, how have I gone this long never eating Stone Crab?  I must get over to the coast some time and slurp down a few lbs.

I doooo so love me some Alaskan King Crab Legs.  Im like a freaking seal with those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top