Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2014 7:48:17 PM EDT
It's been a bunch of years since I have spent any time salt water fishing and I have never fished the area I live. A buddy down the street just bought a brand new 20' Pontoon with a 4-stroke 90HP Yamaha and has never fished salt water in his life. I am enjoying getting out to fish, for free, several days a week. But as I get my sea legs back.....we are catching way too many nice fish to keep throwing them back all day. Anyway, we ran into 20 or so Mangrove Snapper and kept the biggest 10........I showed him how to clean them and I have my share in the fridge....got home too late for dinner tonight.....I know the old fry routine, but my wife is not big on seafood, so I was trying to come up with a different way to make the fish appealing for her?

Too bad Snook are out right now    -    they would not leave us alone today
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I like just scaling them, gutting them, then putting butter, lemon, and seasoning on the inside, wrap in foil and grill. You can filet them too. Blacken, and put on a greek salad.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Mangroves are good anyway you cook them. I prefer them in the 10-14 inch range after that they start getting fishy tasting
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Tinfoil on the grill - I can handle that. The spec here is 10" minimum. We kept the 7 that were between 10" and 12". We threw back another 15 or so that were 8-9" or so. Thanks guys. They are fileted and ready to go......
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
scale,gut, if using tinfoil put anything inside the cavity (garlic/spices/lemon wedge) or panfry: give them five new gill slits on each side... batter them up (dip in egg and cover Republicanly with crushed Captains Wafers and pan fry till golden brown.  deploy lemon or lime, immediately toss eyeballs in mouth.

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, as good as that looks, it's too fancy for this hillbilly. I went with the tinfoil/butter/lemon juice/seasoning skin side down. Turned out great. Even the non seafood loving wife said they were good. I guess I'll bring a few more home.....we have been just fishing for fun, as I am trying to give the new guy a crash course in salt water fishing.

I had some fun with him last month in the center console/17.5' boat. I headed out of the Ft. Pierce inlet (never been in the water anywhere around there) and kept heading east.....waiting.....finally about a mile out - he says "Just how far are we going?". Of course I told him I was just seeing how soon he would get worried. HaHa A little fun with the landlubbers....
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Last one I caught, I gutted, scaled and grilled it whole in a grill basket on the propane grill. Came out great.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
cornmeal with some adobo powder mixed in, shallow panfry
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top