Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 8:51:25 AM EDT
So short story, buddy of mine we went to bh gun rack in Merritt island for some guns and on the way back I told him I wanted to stop by some pawn shops to see if they had any good deals on saltwater fishing stuff since it was a beachside community. I look at some overpriced and no room for margin fishing equipment they have, and my buddy mentions that he has some rods and reels from a boat that him and another friend use to own , a 73' dive boat that sank due to some inept repair people that didn't cut the new scuppers on the rear deck during the rainy season.

Well I get to his storage facility and it's two rods he has. Both Daiwa Sealine reels on Penn Senator rods, look to be 6ft length since I'm 6'5 and they weren't as tall as me. One is a sealine 450h and the other is a sealine 900h . Both have line on them but they are over 2 years old so assuming new line will be needed. The major thing is that these rods and reels were stored on the boat, and also went down with the boat when it sank , 73' boat, 300. Gallons of diesel that sea tow had to pick up , along with a slick, and the boat was underwater for 2-3 days while the idiots at seatow tried floating it again. So these rods and reels were submerged for 2-3 days underwater and then I assumed not rinsed and put into storage for a year or two till I mentioned interest. So I picked them up last night and took them home. Today I looked at them and the spools move normally / freely, the winding mechanism seems to be moving freely as normal. They just have this layer of blue /green corosion all over.  I tried a little soaking with wd40 and scrape with a fingernail and somew of it is slowly coming off. I figure with all my free time some polishing compound or ultra fine steel wool will clean them up and I can live with them that way or maybe paint/powder coat the pited pieces. I'm assuming the internals will need a service due to age and storage conditions. And I can learn that or send it out to someone. Also on the rods near the end it seem to skip an eyelet for the eyelet locations , I don't know if that means the rod has been used heavily or if that's normal  ( ie every other eye location actually has an eyelet )

So I told my buddy I would sell them for him or make him an offer on them and add them to my collection. I looked up on ebay and the lowest price 450h by itself is 50 plus shipping and the lowest price 900h is 139 plus shipping and they are way better condition than mine. I haven't priced out what the rods are worth. But since I'm new to saltwater fishing I figured I would ask for your opinion of worth as a fair price for them. I can price out a firearm like a human google but saltwater fishing gear is new territory to me.

Link Posted: 12/19/2013 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I probably wouldn't pay more than $20 bucks apiece.  Rods should clean up nice but you will need to strip the reels apart and do alot of cleaning on the inside.  If they weren't cleaned after they came out of the saltwater they have to be corroded on the inside.....oh and trash the line.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top